• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S second price increase announced for Japan

LectureMaster

Gold Member

This is the second price increase for the devices following one announced back in January 2023.

Xbox Series X – 59,978 yen → 66,978 yen
Xbox Series S 1TB (Black) – 44,578 yen → 49,978 yen
Xbox Series S 512GB – 37,978 yen → 44,578 yen

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
trainwreck GIF

nick776

Yet another dumb decision, seems like MSFT is intentionally trying to tank its hardware at this point. Be that as it may, I'd just like to know who is to blame at MSFT for dumb decision after another. Is it Phil, or is the stupidity coming from over his head?

ranmafan

Yeah it’s completely due to the yen. And it really sucks over here right now cause of it. Everything is overpriced, especially anything game related. Also it maybe cheaper when converted but for someone on a Japanese salary like myself, the conversion means nothing as the prices are so out of range of the salaries that are provided here for most people. It’s really frustrating how bad the yen has gotten and how much it’s making simple purchases, let alone gaming purchases difficult.

LectureMaster

Gold Member
Yeah it’s completely due to the yen. And it really sucks over here right now cause of it. Everything is overpriced, especially anything game related. Also it maybe cheaper when converted but for someone on a Japanese salary like myself, the conversion means nothing as the prices are so out of range of the salaries that are provided here for most people. It’s really frustrating how bad the yen has gotten and how much it’s making simple purchases, let alone gaming purchases difficult.
My man, at least your people still making good games. In the states you pay 40 bucks for Concord.

If that makes you feel a tad better.

Rockondevil

While it may be to do with the yen going down it doesn’t change the fact it’s a higher number on the price tag.
People will see the number going up and be even less likely to pick one up.

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
The timing for the price increase is a bit funny considering that the yen has been appreciating against the USD, EUR, and GBP for the past 3 weeks or so, and it will probably continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

The Japanese yen is gaining on the back of the Bank of Japan's decision to raise interest rates.

The currency strengthened to 148-yen against the dollar on Thursday. It's the first time since mid-March that it's reached this level.

On the Tokyo Stock Exchange, the benchmark Nikkei 225 briefly fell more than 1,300 points. The yen's appreciation triggered selling of automobile and other export-related shares.

VTY6b2K.png

Last edited:

King Dazzar

Maybe they simply dont give a fuck about their console sales anymore. And whatever they shift, however small has to be zero loss. Just wait for their next gen PC hybrid that costs twice as much....

The timing for the price increase is a bit funny considering that the yen has been appreciating against the USD, EUR, and GBP for the past 3 weeks or so, and it will probably continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

VTY6b2K.png
I mean 140 is still historically very weak. It will be extremely interesting to see what the BOJ does if it weakens again after this. There is so much debt and so many zombie companies in this country anything more than 4% would trigger a yuuuuge collapse.

DragonNCM

This is the second price increase for the devices following one announced back in January 2023.
tumblr_me4ojfbsvs1ry10fwo1_500.gif

Gaelyon

They need to milk these... dozens.. of weird otakus buying those collectors gaijin's "consoles". Smart move.

So raising prices on a console that barely sells there now, and will no doubt result in even less sales, will counter-act the weaker Yen?

Can I get an exec position at MS? Because I couldn't possibly make worse decisions. What are you paying Phil? I'll do it for half.

Top Bottom