• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox vs. PS2 Vs. Gamecube for "first-party" games -poll-

Which had the better first-party output during the 6th generation?

• Total voters

zenspider

making these kind of pools is useless you know the nintendo console is gonna always win. tho I do think the PS2 is better than the GC even in first party game lineup.

it doesn't even compare IMO.

Ps2:

• FantaVision
  • Cool Borders 2001
  • Dark Cloud Series
  • Extermination
  • Gran Turismo 3/4 series
  • Ico/Shadow of the Colossus
  • Jak and Daxter Series
  • Sly Series
  • Ratchet and Clank series
  • Legend of Legaia 2
  • Twisted Metal Black/Head-on
  • Parappa The Rapper 2
  • Hot Shots Golf 3/4
  • Socom US Navy Seals Series
  • The Getaway
  • Mark of Kri
  • Wild Arms Series
  • Ape Escape 2/3/Pumped
  • Arc the Lad Series (PS2)
  • Eye Toy
  • KillZone 1
  • Siren Series
  • God of War 1/2
  • Sing Star
  • BUzz! Series
  • Tourist Trophy
GameCube:

• Pikmin series
  • Metroid Prime Series
  • Luigis mansion
  • Smash Melee
  • Mario Sunshine
  • Eternal Darkness
  • Geist
  • Star Fox Series (GC)
  • Kirby Air Ride
  • F-Zero GX
  • Mario Party 4-7
  • Zelda: Wind-Waker/Twilight Princess
  • Custom Robo
  • Battalion Wars
  • Pokemon 3D series
  • Wario Series
  • Mario Kart Double Dash
  • Mario Sports series

like you'd have to be a fanboy to say the GC line up is better.

...or, don't like most of those Sony games.
The Ueda games, Ape Escape 3, and Mark of Kri are the only games on that list I care about at all - and Mark of Kri very little. (I always wanted to play Dark Cloud 2, but never did.)

For Nintendo you're also missing 4 Swords, Jungle Beat, Paper Mario, and technically Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles and Baten Kaitos Origins.

EDIT: re-read OP. First-party IP only.

It's a deep lineup with some superlative titles. No fanboyism required.

Plus, Nintendo put out Odama. That should be enough to lock it up.

Last edited:

zenspider

Someone should learn what "first-party" actually means. Putting stuff like a Sega-developed F-Zero GX on the Gamecube list makes absolutely no sense...same with Sudeki which is a traditional third-party game, released on console and PC. Etc.

"First-party IPs". F-Zero GX absolutely counts. So should WarioWorld (Treasure). Baten Kaitos Origins and FF:CC don't count.

Last edited:
There are no first party games by MS or Sony that hold a candle to Super Mario Sunshine, Metroid Prime, Zelda, or even Mario Kart. I don't know what some of you guys are smoking.

MS had Halo. I loved Mech Assault series, Crimson Skies and Fable.

PS2. Honestly, no doubt the best overall library and third party support.... But it's first party stuff was "meh" to me. I wasn't into Jak or Sly Cooper, The Getaway sucked, God of War was good. It's not like any games have the legacy of Halo or even Wind Waker....

Nintendo had the best bar none. Cherry on top was the wholly underrated Eternal Darkness.

120v

eh, i'd say it's a wash.

normally nintendo takes the crown fairly easily but their GCN output was a little argumentative (while still good). sony released some industry staples in that era as did MS (even if being mostly on virtue of Halo). no easy answer there

Last edited:

Lucumo

"First-party IPs". F-Zero GX absolutely counts. So should WarioWorld (Treasure). Baten Kaitos Origins and FF:CC don't count.
There is no such thing as "first-party IPs", it's "first-party titles", as bolded in the OP. And of course it shouldn't count, same with the Starfox stuff which was done by Rare and then Namco.

zenspider

There is no such thing as "first-party IPs", it's "first-party titles", as bolded in the OP. And of course it shouldn't count, same with the Starfox stuff which was done by Rare and then Namco.

So Super Smash Bros. Ultimate isn't a Nintendo game? Whatever makes your argument work I guess.

El_Belmondo

All three were beasts in the first party departament. Sure, Nintendo failed to deliver with Mario and Zelda, but it gave us F-Zero GX (While inferior to X it's still insanely great) Wave Race, 1080, both Pikmin games, Zelda 4 Swords, Eternal Darkness, Animal crossing, Smash Melee, both Metroid Prime, Paper Mario... they were amazing.

Sony was at its peak. While the quality was not constantly high they not only managed to stablish a brand identity via software, they also released some new iconic IPs and reached peak quality on some others like Gran Turismo.

Microsoft did amazingly for a first timer. They had RARE by their side and managed to get some exclusives published under their wings. The ratio quantity:quality was better than Sony's and well, they released Forza and Halo. 'nuff said.

Lucumo

So Super Smash Bros. Ultimate isn't a Nintendo game? Whatever makes your argument work I guess.
If you don't understand what "first-party" means, it's your own fault. There is a definition and that's that. Just because you disagree with the definition doesn't make it wrong. You don't even seem to grasp the difference between a developer and a publisher.

v If you can't be bothered to educate yourself about the issue, I certainly won't spoon-feed you. Well, it's your choice to make yourself look really dumb, trying to argue about something which you obviously have no clue about.

Last edited:

zenspider

If you don't understand what "first-party" means, it's your own fault. There is a definition and that's that. Just because you disagree with the definition doesn't make it wrong. You don't even seem to grasp the difference between a developer and a publisher.

OP doesn't distinguish between published and developer -"first-party IPs" - why should I? Publishers own, thus develop IPs.

Your splitting hairs to make a weak argument. By your logic, Smash Bros., Pokemon, Starfox, Giftpia, Mario Strikers, Odama, Sin & Punishment, Metroid: Other M, etc. are not Nintendo games. That should be the clear line you're not making a good point anymore.

Last edited:
What?! Am I the only one who voted for Sega Dreamcast?

A quick run-through on Sega's first-party DC titles: Sonic Adventure 1 & 2, Shenmue 1 & 2, Jet Grind Radio, Phantasy Star Online 1 & 2, Skies of Arcadia, Alien Front Online, Crazy Taxi 1 & 2, Ferrari F355 Challenge, Sega Rally 2, Sega GT, Daytona USA 2001, 18 Wheeler, Dynamite Cop, Zombie Revenge, Virtua Fighter 3tb, Chu Chu Rocket, Virtua Tennis & 2K2, NFL 2K, NBA 2K, NHL 2K2, Sega Bass Fishing 1 & 2, Sega Marine Fishing, House of the Dead 2, Confidential Mission, Typing of the Dead, Samba De Amigo, Seaman, Rez...yadda yadda.

Of course, this doesn't include second-party games published by Sega or third-party titles. Dreamcast has one of the highest quality software libraries of any system in history.

Seriously, kids. If you don't have a Dreamcast, get one immediately and start collecting some games.
Amen.

DC for me

Last edited:
Top Bottom