• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenosaga Ep 2 OST now available

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
#anime-game-osts release

Xenosaga II: Jenseits von Gut und Bose ~Movie Scene Soundtrack~

Do I wait for the #gamemp3s release or get this version....

Disc 1 - Playing Time
01 in the beginning, there was...
02 first meeting
03 Xenosaga II opening theme
04 assault
05 strain~Jin
06 here he comes
07 fatal fight(Jin & Margulis)
08 R&D report
09 chase
10 surrounded
11 lamentation
12 Albedo
13 communication breakdown
14 Sakura(theme-piano ver.)
15 Sakura #2(theme-simple voc.ver.)
16 strained
17 Jr. #2
18 strained #2~Albedo #2
19 in the beginning, there was... #2
20 battle of Elsa
21 here she comes(KOS-MOS)
22 battle of Elsa #2
23 gate out

Disc 2 - Playing Time
01 here he comes #2
02 creeping fear
03 U-do~febronia
04 final crisis
05 Presentiment~Jr. #3
06 a field of battle~bitter #2
07 inside~Sakura #3
08 I am free
09 Sakura #4(theme-gentle strings ver.)
10 sweet song(Xenosaga II ending theme)
11 Jr.
12 Jr. #4
13 fatal fight #2
14 bitter
15 nephilim
16 the image theme of Xenosaga II #piano ver.
17 the image theme of Xenosaga II

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

That still bothers me...

There is no longer ANY difference between them. This one is perfect.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Disc 2, Track 17 is all I need...I still like listening to that song (from the first trailers). Finally a clean rip of the song

Dead

well not really...yet
bleh, completely uninspired. A piece of shit compared to the fantastic Episode 1 OST.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Wario64 said:
Disc 2, Track 17 is all I need...I still like listening to that song (from the first trailers). Finally a clean rip of the song

that track is WAY to short. I thought the trailer was a teaser to something greater., wouldnt be surprised if the trailer versionw as longer.

maskrider

I have bought it (XSII Movie Scene soundtrack), it comes with a transparent XSII memory card case.

I think this one from Yuki Kajiura is much inferior to her previous .hack//SIGN soundtrack vol. 1. Only one or two tracks in the 2 CDs are ok IMHO.

maskrider said:
I think this one from Yuki Kajiura is much inferior to her previous .hack//SIGN soundtrack vol. 1. Only one or two tracks in the 2 CDs are ok IMHO.

Yah, Kajiura at the top of her game is probably better than Mitsuda is. Although maybe she's just not suited for games. She's always on for animes, and Mitsuda is always on when it comes to games.

Bebpo

Banned
maskrider said:
I have bought it (XSII Movie Scene soundtrack), it comes with a transparent XSII memory card case.

Yeah, while it may be her best 'game' soundtrack. I think all her game soundtracks have shown that Kajiura_anime composer >>>>>> Kajiura_game composer.

Still I think the ost has a handful of good tracks, it's just too bad that it seems like she wrote 5 solid tracks, then used pieces of them or remixes for many of the remaining songs and then did a few ambience tracks.

Though it just goes to show how mis-used her music was in the game when I don't even recognize having heard a quarter of the tracks ^^;;

dark10x

I actually really like most of the soundtrack. However, I don't think it will have the lasting effects on me that Episode 1's OST did.

I wish Mitsuda would jump back into games. I mean, I respect what he is trying to do, but I really enjoy his gaming soundtracks.

Yuki Kajiura is simply amazing. I can never get tired of her work. She really pulls things off very well. Oh and that image theme is just amazing, and too short. D: Oh and this new version of Nephilim is just plain creepy. Perfect horror movie background theme.

I must say, the music for this series really keeps me playing.

Bebpo

Banned
dark10x said:
I wish Mitsuda would jump back into games. I mean, I respect what he is trying to do, but I really enjoy his gaming soundtracks.

But Mitsuda never left games.

After he left/was_dropped from XS ep2, he went on to do a few tracks for Shadow Hearts 2 since he was probably friends with the composer after helping out on Shadow Hearts 1. Then he went on to do what couldn't have even been a full cd worth of music for a really crappy 3 min x 13 ep TV anime. Next he is currently working on this game Deep Labyrinth which is a cell phone game and probably won't have a full cd of music either.

This doesn't sound like someone trying a new route. This sounds like someone who can't get a job and is taking anything he can get. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but I can just imagine the Namco/Mitsuda break-off as one of those scenes from a movie where the company says "If you step out that door we'll make sure you never work for a major company again!". I dunno, maybe he is just taking an extended vacation but I sure hope he comes back full force on some game in the next year or two.

duckroll

Bebpo said:
This doesn't sound like someone trying a new route. This sounds like someone who can't get a job and is taking anything he can get. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but I can just imagine the Namco/Mitsuda break-off as one of those scenes from a movie where the company says "If you step out that door we'll make sure you never work for a major company again!". I dunno, maybe he is just taking an extended vacation but I sure hope he comes back full force on some game in the next year or two.

What? You mean slacking off ISN'T a new route? :)

He's slacking off, but his music is still crazily good. He only has a few songs on the Shadow Hearts 2 OST but those songs along overshadow all the other songs on it.

But it has been annoying I must say. With how good he is, not having any new OST's from him isn't good. I'm also kinda annoyed that we haven't got anything new from Iwadare who's always been one of my favs. Especially after hearing his song on the new PSO Compilation which is so good. I think i'm gonna play Grandia 1 again. :)

dark10x

I can't imagine that he would have a hard time finding work though. The Namco relationship was hardly his bread and butter. He worked with that team at Square and did one soundtrack for them as Monolith. I was under the impression that he wanted to simply work on his own music rather than simply be associated with games.

I'm curious to know if any companies have TRIED to contract him out for their games or if he simply hasn't accepted anything. I mean, his touch really makes a game sound special...

Regardless, I just listened to the first 13 tracks on my way into work and I must say that I'm enjoying it thus far. Some of the tracks have been a bit "eh", but a few others left quite an impression. Communication Breakdown (from a trailer) is absolutely fantastic sounding! I have to ask, how could that possibly be used POORLY?! Is the volume kept so low on the music that you can't even notice it? That kind of song is just so good that I can't imagine it NOT working well.

duckroll

dark10x said:
Regardless, I just listened to the first 13 tracks on my way into work and I must say that I'm enjoying it thus far. Some of the tracks have been a bit "eh", but a few others left quite an impression. Communication Breakdown (from a trailer) is absolutely fantastic sounding! I have to ask, how could that possibly be used POORLY?! Is the volume kept so low on the music that you can't even notice it? That kind of song is just so good that I can't imagine it NOT working well.

Communication Breakdown is great in the game. As I said before, the music is not bad, just mostly completely underwhelming. Those that stood out for me would be the opening theme, Sakura's vocal theme, Communication Breakdown, U-DO~Febronia and I am free. Those were great tracks used well in the game cutscenes.

On the other hand, I keep hearing these GREAT tracks on the OST that I don't even remember ever featuring in the game. Just sad. Albedo is great but I don't ever remember it being extensively used in any one memoriable scene. :(

Fatal Fight #2 and Bitter are awesome too, but I just can't place them. If Fatal Fight #2 was used in the 2nd Margulis/Jin fight, then it must have been really soft because it would have been great otherwise. Bitter was completely not in the game as far as I remember, which is also sad. Another thing I noticed is that while many of the tracks on the soundtrack actually have vocals of some sort, I almost never heard them in the game itself.

Overall, it's a B+ soundtrack which is pretty good but not Kajiura's best. It's sad that the game underused the music so much though. :(

dark10x

Just out of curiousity, how was the music usage in Baten Kaitos (and heck, is the game even worth playing)?

duckroll

dark10x said:
Just out of curiousity, how was the music usage in Baten Kaitos (and heck, is the game even worth playing)?

Baten Kaitos music was great. I never bought the OST for it so all my memory is from the game itself but it was awesome, so that says alot. :)

The battle engine is also AWESOME, and yeah it's definitely worth playing. Pretty fun game, but the pacing and plot is just really generic, if you don't mind that's great. Great enviroment designs and stuff, all pre-rendered but very animated. Overall it was slightly disappointing but still definitely a good RPG. It just felt lackluster since it came out just after I finished ToS. :)

Bebpo

Banned
dark10x said:

BK uses the good old fashioned LOUD music in the foreground playing on repeat all the time. Since the OST is so good, this is a good thing :) (except for a few songs which are repeated at like 10 different areas). Because BK doesn't focus on "cinematic cutscenes" it doesn't have to worry about lowering the music to go with the cutscenes, it just keeps playing it loud and some of the dungeon music is fabulous.

Don't worry, XS ep2 + Suikoden III are probably the only rpgs that make really really bad use of their soundtracks in-game IMO. At least in ep1 even if Mitsuda's score was placed around kinda funky, when it was playing it was LOUD and good :)

Mairu

dark10x said:
That still bothers me...

There is no longer ANY difference between them. This one is perfect.
028.gif
028.gif

I haven't listened to it yet, but I'm sure I'll be pleased as it's Kajiura

aparisi2274

Wario64 said:
#anime-game-osts release

Xenosaga II: Jenseits von Gut und Bose ~Movie Scene Soundtrack~

Disc 1 - Playing Time
01 in the beginning, there was...
02 first meeting
03 Xenosaga II opening theme
04 assault
05 strain~Jin
06 here he comes
07 fatal fight(Jin & Margulis)
08 R&D report
09 chase
10 surrounded
11 lamentation
12 Albedo
13 communication breakdown
14 Sakura(theme-piano ver.)
15 Sakura #2(theme-simple voc.ver.)
16 strained
17 Jr. #2
18 strained #2~Albedo #2
19 in the beginning, there was... #2
20 battle of Elsa
21 here she comes(KOS-MOS)
22 battle of Elsa #2
23 gate out

Disc 2 - Playing Time
01 here he comes #2
02 creeping fear
03 U-do~febronia
04 final crisis
05 Presentiment~Jr. #3
06 a field of battle~bitter #2
07 inside~Sakura #3
08 I am free
09 Sakura #4(theme-gentle strings ver.)
10 sweet song(Xenosaga II ending theme)
11 Jr.
12 Jr. #4
13 fatal fight #2
14 bitter
15 nephilim
16 the image theme of Xenosaga II #piano ver.
17 the image theme of Xenosaga II

What IRC connection is that channel on????

longdi

Banned
Tuning in .... who is this kajira? some bass freak? i am having a bad headache now!
all the vocals are shit! give us back mitsuda!

dark10x

longdi said:
Tuning in .... who is this kajira? some bass freak? i am having a bad headache now!
all the vocals are shit! give us back mitsuda!

She is famous for anime soundtracks such the .hack series and Noir. Very unique style, but very excellent. Shame you don't care for it...

BTW, the #gamemp3s release is out if you are as picky as Wario. ;)

Shimmy also left Square recently too I think. Which kinda sucks.

I have to believe that Mitsuda's just on some kind of a break right now because I can't think of any reason why he wouldn't be doing more composing. SH2 showed that he's still at the top of the field.

"Yep, Fiction is a good album"

Yep, even though alot of people have been disappointed in X2's OST they shouldn't base the quality of her work on it. She's much better than that album would suggest.

IJoel

This OST is pretty good, but I'm somewhat disappointed that it doesn't expand on the music from the Episode I. It's VERY SIMILAR to the .hack anime music and I just find it annoying since the themes are so different.

Bring Mitsuda back you bastards!

Well there was considerable backlash against Mitsuda's Xenosaga score. So that probably had alot to do with NAMCO's decision to go ahead and get a new composer for Xenosaga 2.

IJoel

SolidSnakex said:
Well there was considerable backlash against Mitsuda's Xenosaga score. So that probably had alot to do with NAMCO's decision to go ahead and get a new composer for Xenosaga 2.

All of them heathens.

Mitsuda's Xenosaga Episode I score was nothing short of superb. To this day I still listen to it.

dark10x

IJoel said:
All of them heathens.

Mitsuda's Xenosaga Episode I score was nothing short of superb. To this day I still listen to it.

I agree. The original XS score was absolutely wonderful and I also listen to it still today. However, I also love this new soundtrack.

longdi

Banned
Ep1 had too many silent moments, but for whats available, the tracks are great. Not Mitsuda's best but still way better than Kajira's "~YAPPPA SONIC!". I can live with the silent moments, too much looping in dungeons do get on my nerves sometime. Ep1 score, no complaints from me. :D

Namco is being cheap with Ep2, there is not even a symphonic band now. No use crying over it though, if Namco see no future in Xeno games, please just end it after Ep3.

My mind will stay close for any game that replaces Mitsuda for X composer. ;)

I never really understood all the hate his Xenosaga OST got but alot of people didn't seem to like it. At first I thought it was because there were so few songs compared to most RPG's but it was the actual songs they didn't like. So moral of the story, don't speak out so much if you don't like an OST. Unless you don't mind that composer being replaced.

I actually think alot of OST's have been treated pretty badly this gen even though they've been good (imo). Kingdom Hearts would be another one that's gotten way too much hate. Respect Shimmy!

dark10x

Not Mitsuda's best but still way better than Kajira's "~YAPPPA SONIC!".

I dunno, I really really like that song (The image theme and Fatal Fight). I thought it was a VERY good song and actually fit the world of Xenosaga better than what Episode 1 presented (though I've heard the music in-game is poorly used and too quiet in many scenes).

IJoel

What I mainly dislike about this Episode 2 ost is that it's too organic and very different from the first one. I was expecting the use and expansion of some themes used in Episode I (not reusing them, but expanding on them). Unlike the first score, I can't see this one standing on its own (as a musical cd) with the exception of a couple songs.

Another thing is that it's very simple in its layering. Mitsuda's score wasn't really that deep, but this one seems just too shallow for the complexity I would expect a score for a game like Xenosaga to have.

Oh well... this sux.

On a side note, I fucking love my new avatar. Luffy r0x all 31 flavors of ass!

Top Bottom