• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ybarra: Consoles Will Never Die; Those Losing Are Pushing the Narrative that Fits Them

playstation-5-xbox-series-x-nintendo-switch-HD-scaled.jpg

In the past few years, we have repeatedly heard how consoles are about to die, but the former Blizzard Entertainment president Mike Ybarra not only thinks that this won't be the case but also that those losing are pushing a narrative that fits them, taking a not-so-well hidden dig at Microsoft.

Speaking on X earlier today, the former Blizzard Entertainment president discussed Sony's approach to exclusive games, saying that it is the correct strategy to follow if you plan to win in the living room. In this regard, Sony not only knows how to make hits but also how to pick them from others, and it is definitely paying off. If he were Sony, Ybarra continued, he would double down on this strategy because the blood in the water is all over the place.

As another X user highlighted, the narrative nowadays is that the living room is not the future and that consoles are dying. Mike Ybarra replied that, in his opinion, consoles will never die, and it's those who are losing who are pushing a narrative that fits them. This is a not-so-subtle dig at Microsoft, whose strategy regarding its consoles and exclusives has been all over the place lately, creating much uncertainty.

Just as Mike Ybarra said, Sony has always been capable of producing exclusive hits themselves while also securing titles from other developers. Just this year, games like Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Rise of the Ronin, and Stellar Blade have been released on PlayStation 5, making the console the one to own to play some of the best titles launched in the past few years. Microsoft's strategy, on the other hand, seems to have almost completely disregarded console exclusivity, releasing multiple former exclusives on PlayStation 5 and Nintendo Switch. One of the most anticipated games launching on Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S this year, Indiana Jones and the Great Circle, will only be a Microsoft exclusive for a few months, as the game will launch on Sony's console sometime in Spring 2025. With a new console generation not too far off in the future, it will be very interesting to see Microsoft's approach and if the company will continue to push the narrative that the time of consoles is coming to an end.

Morgan Freeman Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

kevboard

classic consoles will absolutely die. we will soon see a switch to a Steam Deck like model from Microsoft and Sony will probably follow soon after.

Nintendo will probably be the last remaining console maker for a while, but I can see them also cave ultimately.

now, is the Steam Deck a console? you could argue it is, just a more open one. so I guess if that's the definition of console then you could say they won't die.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
People who say consoles will never die are just being short sited. When someone says consoles will one day no longer exist and mobile devices will take over everything is kind of like someone in the 80s saying " one day your whole music and movie library will be on something like a Walkman". Technically they are right but others could only invasion a literal Walkman.

Wildebeest

Ship of Theseus type problem. If the console business model changes step by step every year until it is no longer the same in any way to what it was originally, then is it is still the same console business model? Sony has hit games and a large user base that spends money, but they also have spiralling costs and glacially long dev cycles.

Last edited:
It's less of a worry of consoles being alive or not years from now, it's more of a worry of who will still be making consoles years from now.

My theory months ago was that 10 years from now, the big 3 will shift to Steam Deck, Sony, and Nintendo.
My other theory was that 35+ years from now there is a possibility that the final two will be Steam Deck (or whatever they will call it) and Nintendo*

*= Only if there isn't some new technological hardware breakthrough or if phones don't suddenly become the everything-entertainment-center that manufacturers are trying to make them be.

SHA

He's late to the party where he lefted just like Shawn Layden, except he outsmarted him and admitted things became different when he lefted Sony, Mike must understand what changed, these changes are internal, to the end users it means nothing.

LRKD

Eh kinda agree? Yes I think there will always be a place for consoles for most consumers alive today... But will consoles still choose to take that place? Microsoft is clearly in a rush to become a service provider for games. I think Sony is tailing them in that regard. I think they both in the long term see themselves as becoming more like steam then what they are now.

Leaving just Nintendo as the only one who is currently seemingly long term interested in console development. But really who knows what the future might hold, perhaps we will see consumers happily flock to pure streaming, leaving consoles behind, or even advances in just games being a experience that is tapped directly into the mind in 40 years ending consoles entirely.

Ebrietas

Neo Member
The big money in this business has always been owning a platform with 100+ million users and collecting passive income from every single game, micro transaction, DLC, etc. Only way to sell consoles is via exclusives.

MS would love if Xbox were such a platform. But it isn't, and that's entirely their own fault. Now they have no choice but to go the Sega route.

Last edited:
stating the obvious.

I just wonder what is going to happen to the gaming discourse (all of those YT influencers) once the execution is finally complete

Comandr

Perhaps, but the term "console" has gotten fuzzy over the last decade. The Switch is a "console" that you can plug into the TV or play portably on the go. Well.. By that definition, so is the Steam Deck, yet it is also, just a computer in a different form factor. Developers seem to really really like the Steam Deck, and for great reason.

That said, I think as mobile technology continues to mature, these hybrid consoles will become more and more ubiquitous, and the lines of a "console" will continue to blur. Especially if the EU continues to have their way and before long console manufacturers are required to open their systems up to allow competing stores.

Lies, consoles are joining PC in death soon. I hope you guys have phones.
There is plenty of data that prove this isn’t even remotely close to being true. Look at PS5 sales compared to PS4 for instance. Only one failing here is Xbox. PC has also been breaking CCU records.
You’re ill informed and out of your depth.

Fbh

Gold Member
Unless streaming becomes extremely reliable (and not just in select cities in select major markets) I don't see consoles going anywhere.
Even beyond the exclusives, the main appeal of consoles is that they are affordable, relatively straightforward and usually guarantee you'll be getting most major releases for the next 5+ years

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
classic consoles will absolutely die. we will soon see a switch to a Steam Deck like model from Microsoft and Sony will probably follow soon after.

Nintendo will probably be the last remaining console maker for a while, but I can see them also cave ultimately.

now, is the Steam Deck a console? you could argue it is, just a more open one. so I guess if that's the definition of console then you could say they won't die.
Nintendo is actually the first to try something away from the traditional model because it wasn’t working for them.

The last would be PlayStation, unless the PS6 is a hybrid like the Switch/Switch 2.

And you must really be fun at parties.
This is the kind of response someone makes when they have nothing of substance to say on a given subject.

Regardless of my comedic levels at any potential party, what would that possible have to do with the facts I stated?

Silly rabbit, trix are for kids

Skifi28

This is the kind of response someone makes when they have nothing of substance to say on a given subject.

Regardless of my comedic levels at any potential party, what would that possible have to do with the facts I stated?

Silly rabbit, trix are for kids
You were replying to a almost comically obvious sarcastic post in a way too serious manner, hence the fun at parties. Seriously, after 4 years and over 2k posts you've never heard about "pc gaming is dead" and "don't you guys have phones?" Gaf can be really disappointing at times.

You were replying to a almost comically obvious sarcastic post in a way too serious manner, hence the fun at parties. Seriously, after 4 years and over 2k posts you've never heard about "pc gaming is dead" and "don't you guys have phones?" Gaf can be really disappointing at times.
It didn’t read that way to me at all.
Maybe try adding a /s next time \_0_/

tmlDan

I would agree with this a lot more if it weren't for the fact that Sony seems to be following heavily in MS's footsteps despite them being the losing brand
Astrobot is gonna get great scores and Helldivers 2 sold at minimum 14 million copies, if you are gonna say Concord is them following that direction thats a very very small sample size full of recency bias.

Not sure anyone thinks consoles will (or should) die (just yet) - but they need to change, will change and are changing... One day in the not-too-distant future they will be as rare as blu-ray players are today.

The days of exclusives (on hardware at least) are numbered because the economics of the walled garden don't stack up anymore.

And I have a really nice gaming PC, but have been playing Star Wars Outlaws on Geforce Now (actually on that PC) much of the day. Not sure exactly why I will need to be buying hardware in the future... If I can subscribe to a streaming service as good as Geforce Now through my TV (or attached box) console's days are numbered once they work through the licensing issues and make everything available. I tested it back-to-back and literally could not tell the difference between streaming and native - believe that, or don't.

There is plenty of data that prove this isn’t even remotely close to being true. Look at PS5 sales compared to PS4 for instance. Only one failing here is Xbox. PC has also been breaking CCU records.
You’re ill informed and out of your depth.
And what PS5 sales should show? They are behind PS4 globally.

And overall if you look at that chart - over the last 17 years hardware spending did not grow. And that chart is not adjusted to inflation either.
GG4HBCcaMAE37eJ

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

Gold Member
Consoles will stand the test of time while the PC master race gnashes their teeth and the mobile nerds fetch torches

El Muerto

Gold Member
Digital games should be playable on multiple consoles. Microsoft should go balls out and let people play their digital Playstation and Steam games on Xbox. Authenticate your accounts and boom you can play your games on Xbox. It's not like game companies are going to run out of digital keys. We can do this with movies, we should be able to do it with games too. It's the only way for them to totally win. Sony wont do it, look how long it took them to do their gamepass-like service. Nintendo does their own thing and are successful, they're fine. It's just Microsoft at risk here lets be honest. I've owned consoles on both sides since day 1, i like my Xbox, but really no point in investing in an Xbox if the exclusives are going to Playstation.

First major nelson and now Mike ybarra taking shots at Microsoft. Can't wait to hear what Phil spencer has to say when he isn't under Microsoft anymore. Man probably lost 20 years off his lifespan because of all the stress.

And what PS5 sales should show? They are behind PS4 globally.

And overall if you look at that chart - over the last 17 years hardware spending did not grow. And that chart is not adjusted to inflation either.
GG4HBCcaMAE37eJ

Does this count for anything?

Edit

This is more recent

Last edited:

kevboard

Nintendo is actually the first to try something away from the traditional model because it wasn’t working for them.

The last would be PlayStation, unless the PS6 is a hybrid like the Switch/Switch 2.

Sony is already going PC with their games. Nintendo isn't and is probably not even considering it currently.

when it comes to changing the tradition console model, aka. a fully closed system that has only a single store and only plays licensed games, Microsoft and Sony will absolutely shift from that way before Nintendo.

Microsoft already has a semi-open system due to their developer mode where unlicensed code can be run. Sony is currently in the phase that Microsoft was during the late 360 and early Xbox One days, where more and more games come to PC either at the same time or after a few years.

Fess

I hope consoles become portable/PC hybrids with multiple stores. I'm not rich.
I think/hope this too.

Steam is great and having Steam in the next Xbox is precisely what is needed for PC gaming to take a big chunk of the living room space.

But there absolutely needs to be multiple stores directly on the dashboard user interface - Epic, Ubisoft, EA, MS, Playstation, GOG - or we’ll just have another closed garden taking over after the death of Xbox. Until everything is on Steam day 1 nothing has been solved, and I doubt that will ever happen. A console-like device with easy access to ALL stores and ALL subscription libraries is what needs to happen.

Oppoi

I think/hope this too.

Steam is great and having Steam in the next Xbox is precisely what is needed for PC gaming to take a big chunk of the living room space.

But there absolutely needs to be multiple stores directly on the dashboard user interface - Epic, Ubisoft, EA, MS, Playstation, GOG - or we’ll just have another closed garden taking over after the death of Xbox. Until everything is on Steam day 1 nothing has been solved, and I doubt that will ever happen. A console-like device with easy access to ALL stores and ALL subscription libraries is what needs to happen.
This device should of course have an Xbox logo on it though, right Fredrik?

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Sony is already going PC with their games. Nintendo isn't and is probably not even considering it currently.

when it comes to changing the tradition console model, aka. a fully closed system that has only a single store and only plays licensed games, Microsoft and Sony will absolutely shift from that way before Nintendo.

Microsoft already has a semi-open system due to their developer mode where unlicensed code can be run. Sony is currently in the phase that Microsoft was during the late 360 and early Xbox One days, where more and more games come to PC either at the same time or after a few years.
Eh, PlayStation is a critical part of their business. Sony will drop exclusivity when it becomes feasible to do so (i.e. no time soon — though I know it's not impossible given the current climate). They certainly aren't in Microsoft's position, though.

I expect them to move toward a Switch-like device before putting all of their games on PC day-and-date with PlayStation.

Last edited:
Consoles for me personally are dying a slow death due to the push toward digital-only AAA games like BG3 and BlackMyth Wo Kong.

I only play games on PS5 due to the convenience of physical disks with games (no downloads required). Otherwise, PC is best for digital games due to more variety and lower priced games available at deep discounts.

If majority of games become all digital (which seems more likely with each passing year), I wont be buying consoles anymore and play games solely on PC.

Last edited:
Top Bottom