• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your Favorite Horror Movies

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a big horror movie fan, tons of horror movie DVDs...

just curious what everyones favorites are, and I dont mean favorite as in "this sounds cool to say this movie", but seriously, the ones you watch the most.. ill be the first to admit, not all of my movies are favorites by hardcore fans of the series, or even that they are good movies overall.. but i love them and watch them! i generally fall asleep to movies when i go to bed, and usually horror films.. 50% of the time it boils down to either halloween or army of darkness, but the rest of my top 10 fill in the rest of that 50% usually..

1. halloween --- the original is a classic, got me into horror movies, scared the crap out of me the first time i watched it.. amazing movie

2. army of darkness --- hilarious film, great action, amazing themes/scenes.. i watch this one all the time, at least once a week i fall asleep to this movie..

3. Halloween H20 --- I love this one almost as much as the original, great to have jamie lee back in her second best performance of the series, i love this one..

4. jason x --- i guess i am a sucker for b movies, as i love this one, have watched it upwards of 50 times, my favorite of the jason movies, its so cheesy, has so many great oneliners, so many awesome odes to previous jasons, etc etc.

5. jeepers creepers 2 --- i loved the first, i love this one more... great horror, comedy and action all in one..

6. scream 1 --- loved this movie, great odes to halloween, lots of fun...

7. freddy vs. jason --- i love this combo film, actually brings the genre back to its roots, thought it was amazingly able to combine by series.

8. Bride of chucky --- I love the chucky films, and this one is amazingly funny and also alot of fun.. ronny yu knew what he was doing... cant wait for seed of chucky.

9. the thing --- is this a horror movie? i'd say so, its creepy, great theme, amazing film.

10. cabin fever --- this movie is amazing.. mmm pancakes.

i also watch halloween: resurrection alot, scream 3, house of 1000 corpses, the fog, ghost of mars, and CLUB DREAD (which is hilarious) alot too.. alot of these films arent all that scary, but i still would call them part of the horror genre (except club dread)..

so what are your faves/most watched?

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
The Ring
Halloween
Nightmare on Elm Street
Dawn of the Dead(2004.... I like the original too but I hardly consider it a horror movie. More like a dark comedy)
Cabin Fever

FnordChan

A few faves:

Dawn of the Dead - The original, natch. Social commentary and the living dead? Oh, yes.

Return of the Living Dead - Next, take Romero's Dead films and add extra heavy doses of black comedy and punk rock. "Send more cops!"

Near Dark - It's oh-so-80s, but this is still the best vampire flick ever. It's lush, sensual, and has a roadhouse scene that is positively savage.

Ginger Snaps - Reinvinting the werewolf as a metaphor for puberty. Don't worry, it's got plenty of black humor and ass-kicking, not to mention wacky goth hijinx and a main character who's a drug dealer. Does for werewolves what Near Dark did for vampires.

May - And this is the Frankenstein reimagining of choice. Black humor thick enough to spread on toast, a devestatingly cute (and weird) Angela Bettis, and a fantastic, effective use of gore. Remember: "If you can't find a friend, make one!"

Phantasm - The sequel is pretty good, but the original still can't be beat. No-budget brilliance, late-70s style, a rather intelligent script, and THE ORB. Mandatory viewing, along with Phantasm II.

Pulse - My recent favorite, which I pimp absolutely every chance I get. Kiyoshi (no relation) Kurosawa's masterpiece, in which urban malaise escalates steadily towards haunting apocolypse. Low-key, brutally effective, and intensely creepy without resorting to gore. Possibly my all time favorite horror flick.

FnordChan

evil ways

The Thing - One of the first horror/sci fi films I ever saw as a child. It literally scared the shit out of me, especially the scene with the dogs and the spider head.

The Prince of Darkness - Another great Carpenter horror/suspense movie. The dream everybody had in the movie which was like a video transmission was kinda creepy.

Nightmare on Elm Street 3 - Most people will say the first one was the best, which might be true, but I like the third movie better. I always wanted a Freddy puppet after that, and for my birthday I got a talking Freddy doll.

The Exorcist - Another childhood horror movie of mine. This one actually gave me nightmares for days cause in my room I used to have this chair in a corner, well after I seeing the movie I started seeing Reagan(the girl) sitting there, staring at me, smiling with her fucked up face.

Halloween 1 & 2 - I always saw those 2 as being 1 full movie, but didn't really get too much into Halloween until I was quite a bit grown up, since I always thought Freddy and Jason were better.

The Evil Dead Trilogy - The first one I saw was Evil Dead 2, then years later I saw Army of Darkness at the video store and reminded me of something, so I rented it and remembered Evil Dead 2, so then I decided to track down Evil Dead 1 and watch it. My favorite Raimi movies besides the original Darkman.

There are a lot more that have slipped my mind at the moment.

Off the top of my head:

Evil Dead II
Army of Darkness
Event Horizon
Suspiria
Dead Ringers
The Thing
The Shining
Alien
Silence of the Lambs
Seven
The Ring (Japanese version)
Cure
Kairo (Pulse)

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
My tastes are kind of fickle in this genre, but here are my general favorites:

The Exorcist
Dawn of the Dead
Session 9 (incredibly spooky with its atmosphere and set design, and I love that kind of stuff)

Can't think of anything else at the moment. There's soooo much derivative crap out there in the horror genre, and that's one genre I can't stand typical derivative shit in.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Alien(s)
Halloween 1 & 2
Friday the 13th Parts 1 & 2
A Nightmare on Elm Street Parts 1, 3, 4, & 7
Scream Trilogy
Dead Alive
Omen 1 & 2

bjork

I Spit on Your Grave.

Nothing like a rape victim cutting off a dude's wang and then stuffing his body in a cabinet to keep you up at night.

Suspiria (classic, get the nice special edition)
Day of the Dead
Evil Dead I and II
Halloween
Near Dark
The Thing
Nightmare on Elm Street 1, 3 and New Nightmare
Alien/Aliens
Freddy vs. Jason (lots of fun, I thought)
Dawn of the Dead
Cabin Fever
Lost Boys (2 DVD special edition coming, yay)
Final Destination 2 (first sucks, second rocks)
House of 1,000 Corpses (most people hate it, I thought it was fun)
Dead Alive

Worst:
Jeepers Creepers 2
Ghost Ship (other than the opening, which was great)
House on Haunted Hill (remake)

Ecrofirt

First of all, The Eye sucked balls. There were only a few scary parts in the film. The only part that made my heart pound at all was the elevator scene.

That being said, this is the end of my post.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Horror films that actually, at one point during my life, scared me:

Halloween. 'Nuff said.

The Exorcist. Same as above.

The Thing. So strange this Carpenter masterpiece bombed when it was first released.

Prince of Darkness. Do not watch this when you're 10-years-old.

Dawn of the Dead. Man, that initial SWAT/city sequence scared me.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. If you didn't know any better, you'd think it was real.

Session 9. I watched this after staying up over 24 hours at 4-fuckin'-AM. Don't do that.

Horror films that I watch because they're just goddamn fun:

Friday the 13th/Jason Series. I've got a hankerin' for some slasherin'!

Any of the post-Carpenter Halloween films except THREE. Same as above!

Nightmare on Elm Street 1/3 and New Nightmare. 'Nuff said.

Freddy vs Jason. Fanboy wet dream come (or cum?) true!

Cabin Fever. A great Evil Dead knockoff.

Dead Alive. I kick arse for the Lord!

They Live. I've come here to kick ass and chew bubblegum. And I'm all out of gum.

Aliens. Music score that defined movie trailers for a generation.

The Fog. A fantastic ghost story about pirate lepers! How awesome is that?

Horror movies in a LEAGUE OF THEIR OWN:

The Evil Dead. Remember, tree rape is still rape.

Evil Dead 2. Dead by DAWN, DEAD BY DAWN!

Army of Darkness. Hail to the king, baby.

IJoel

The one movie that manages to keep up with the times and surpasses clichés is The Exorcist.

Damn awesome movie!

jenov4

Ringu, I kept thinking about that little Japanese girl while lying in my bed. Not good...

What's with these little Japanese girls that makes them so scary anyways?

Halloween
Alien
The Fog
The Exorcist
Suspiria
The Thing From Another World!
The Thing (1982)
Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (1956)
Psycho
The Birds
The Blob (1958)
War Of The Worlds
The Haunting (1963)
Bubba Ho-Tep

Quoted, because I couldn't have said it better myself:

Willco aka Bruce incarnate said:
Horror movies in a LEAGUE OF THEIR OWN:

The Evil Dead. Remember, tree rape is still rape.

Evil Dead 2. Dead by DAWN, DEAD BY DAWN!

Army of Darkness. Hail to the king, baby.

WITH EXTRA SPECIAL EMPHASIS ON NUMBER TWO!!!

way more

evil ways said:
The Prince of Darkness - Another great Carpenter horror/suspense movie. The dream everybody had in the movie which was like a video transmission was kinda creepy.

You are the first person I've known to see this badass flick.

And another vote for 28 Day Later, that's like my favorite movie right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom