• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favourite original video game composition

Banjo64

cumsessed
In my view, Sony will never surpass Nate’s theme from Uncharted 4.

This is one of the most underrated scores in video game history in my view, only underrated by the fact that it is one of the best ever and isn’t discussed regularly as such.

One of the things that worries me with the current trend of AAA western game development is not just stagnation in gameplay and creativity, but music also.

Not my favorite but this is one of the best boss themes ever. Genshin is full of them but this one is particularly great not only from a melodic standpoint but as a composition. It's like a richer version of Sealed Vessel from Hollow Knight.

Fbh

Admittedly it's fueled by nostalgia, but still.

As originally appearing in the game:
Times Scar From Chrono Cross

If we can count rearrangements it's Another Termina also from Chrono Cross from the 20th Anniversary concert (which is sadly only on Youtube in crappy quality)

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
If I’m being honest, it’s probably this. Specifically this arrangement.

Gambit2483

If I’m being honest, it’s probably this. Specifically this arrangement.

The coolest part about that jam session is almost all of the performers probably first heard this track when they were just kids playing the game and now they get to do their own cover/rendition of such an iconic track.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Here’s one that’s lived rent free in my head for 5 years now. That I regularly whistle and hum to myself.

Rare have some brilliant composers on the books.

Holammer

All three Outrun songs are very special. Played the arcade and various home version over the years.
Magical Sound Shower might be the best. Imagine playing this in '86 or '87, the music was mindblowing with real sounding instruments. This at a time when the NES was still fresh on the market.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent

Final fantasy XI - Sanctuary of Zi’Tah

Often cited as the best piece of music in this MMOs massive list of amazing music. Still my favorite soundtrack ever in gaming.

This piece in general is just haunting because it’s a zone you’ll spend almost no time in. You run through it to get to other important places but the whole zone is a vibe.

Sprawling massive woods filled with fog.

monster hunter has insanely good scores, even the more mellow songs are fantastic.

also kingdom hearts herculese theme was used in the tokyo olympics cuz of how good that was

Top Bottom