• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favourite original video game composition

Magic Carpet

Gold Member
All the good music today is being wasted on blocky 8bit pixel art games.
Using high quality music in a game that looks like it was from the 1980's.
If your going to go retro you need to retro your music and sounds too.

Couple that comes to mind..
Dragon's Dogma - Into Free, such a weird and pumping intro, i would listen to it a few times before playing each time i launched the game, shame they removed it in DA.

Also same feeling with Bayonetta - Fly Me To The Moon

And lastly Nier Gestalt has the best full soundtrack ever made imo, loved every track to bits.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Probably Time's Scar or Dancing Mad. Dancing Mad for a piece made for an SNES game and the fact that it's like a real orchestral piece with several movements made it so ahead of its time. And it sounds amazing adopted for live orchestra.

Roni

Michael McCann's work is phenomenal. Deus Ex, Splinter Cell, XCOM. This guy should be in way more stuff

Last edited:

Hrk69

Chelsea Women Burn GIF by Barclays WSL

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
There’s a few great licensed songs in there from Steve vai and Joe satriani, but most of Formula One’s songs were done in house at Psygnosis. Awesome tracks from their audio crew.

YT playlist.

Last edited:

Trilobit

Gold Member

Island Swing is so remarkable in its energy and how it also switches to the calmer end portion. It still to this day never fails to make me beat my chest whenever I hear it.

Klomp's Romp is also amazing and together with Jib Jig my favourite from DKC2.

Last edited:

Soodanim

This track alone has more going for it than so much of the soulless orchestral background music that games so often put out.
Not original, but one of the best uses of music in a video game.

Very effective song choice by Kojima's team. Not many can use songs as well as they did.
One has to consider constraints.

I don't think constraints should be considered in terms of taking pity on them, if that's what you meant. These songs (and the rest of their soundtracks) are amazing at conveying what they need to convey. Koji Kondo's N64 music is a master at work.

Last edited:
Top Bottom