• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zinedine Zidane announces retirement from international soccer

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
Zinedine Zidane announces retirement from international soccer

Jerome Pugmire / Associated Press
Posted: 2 hours ago
PARIS (AP) - Soccer superstar Zinedine Zidane, widely regarded as one of the greatest athletes in his sport, on Thursday announced his retirement from international soccer on his Web site.

The departure of Zidane marks the end of a golden era of French soccer and follows the retirements of three of his celebrated teammates - Lilian Thuram, Bixente Lizarazu and Marcel Desailly.

"This is an important announcement because this is to announce the end of my international career with the French team," Zidane said in a statement on the Web site. "I carefully thought through this decision. I think at a certain moment, one has to say, 'Stop."'

Zidane led France to victory in the 1998 World Cup by scoring two headers in the final against Brazil, cementing his place in French sports history.

"It's not easy to stop after 10 years full of highs and lows ... especially highs, but my hour has come," he said. "It's the end of a cycle."

In 2000, he starred again as France won the European Championship for the second time in its history.

He made his debut a decade ago and played 93 times for the national team, scoring 26 goals, and also captained the team 11 times. He lost only seven matches in his international career.

But since 2002 and France's shock exit at the World Cup, where the team did not score a goal, Zidane had been mulling over his future.

"It had been floating around in my head for a while," he said. "Things changed after the 2002 World Cup and the Euro (2004) confirmed this.

"I did not feel ready to give myself for another two years leading up to the (2006) World Cup," he added. "The French team wants to open a new page with new players."

France's new coach Raymond Domenech visited Zidane recently in Madrid, but was unable to persuade him to stay.

"It's sad, I told him like most French people that I preferred him to continue," Domenech told reporters Thursday, prior to announcing his squad to face Bosnia-Herzegovena in next week's friendly.

"He listened to my arguments, but decided to leave the way for young players to express themselves. It's regrettable, but I accept it," Domenech said. "A new page has been turned."

The squad includes six players who are to make their first appearance for France: Eric Abidal of Olympique Lyonnais, Patrice Evra of AS Monaco, Gael Givet of AS Monaco, Alou Diarra of RC Lens, Rio-Antonio Mavuba of FCG Bordeaux, and Pierre-Alain Frau of Olympique Lyonnais.

The 32-year-old Zidane will continue to play club soccer with Real Madrid until his contract with the Spanish giant expires in 2007.

The three other French stars from the 1998 and 2000 winning sides - Lizarazu, Thuram and Desailly - retired after Euro 2004.

Combined with Zidane, this experienced quartet formed the spine of France's team and shared 409 caps between them.

From the '98 team, only goalkeeper Fabien Barthez and midfielder Vieira remain. Vieira is likely to be named captain. Robert Pires becomes the most experienced player, with 74 caps.

Domenech expects Vieira to become the leader in the French team and oversee a smooth transitition with the young generation coming through.

"Vieira will be the boss, the center of our team," Domenech said. "He is our biggest general. I await a total investment from him. I know he can do it."

France's new-look team begins 2006 World Cup qualifying with a home group match against Israel on Sept. 4 at Stade de France.

The French national stadium became Zidane's favored playground over the years. Whenever he played there, something magical seemed to happen.

"The idea of never seeing Zidane wearing the blue shirt again is unbearable," l'Equipe said in an editorial.

In the first ever match at Stade de France, Zidane scored the winner against Spain in Jan. 1998. His two headed goals against Brazil offered France its first World Cup title and secured Zidane's place in French folklore.

His face was flashed up onto the Arc de Triomphe as millions took to the Champs-Elysees in Paris chanting "Zizou, Zizou." He won France Football magazine's illustrious "Golden Ball" award in 1998.

Zidane recalled the frenetic fans lining the streets of Paris in delirious celebration, and said the images will "stay with me forever."

"People of all colors, regardless of skin, with only one goal: celebrating. There was only joy," he said. "The French team is the most beautiful thing ever to happen to me. There can be no doubt."

---

On the Net: www.zidane.fr

(parf-jp-ps)

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/2659204

*DANCE*

Fowler

There is one crucial difference between Henry and Zidane: Zidane was a big-game player. Henry is not.

Well, that and Zidane is quite possibly the finest player of our time. I'm not a fan of the French (quite the opposite in fact :p), but you really have to admire Zidane. He is just something special. I had the pleasure of seeing him in person (for Real Madrid) and he alone was worth the price of admission. There are so many things about Zidane that you can miss. He's always a few steps ahead of everyone else -- when he gets the ball, he knows he's going to fake this way, that way, and then fire an inch-perfect pass away while defenders snap hopelessly away at his first fake. He's never been a pacy player but it's always been about SPEED with Zidane -- speed of thought and speed of foot. He has a repetoire of fancy footwork and tricks matched only by Ronaldinho, and it's not for show because he knows exactly how and when to use it.

Simply an amazing player. Thankfully he's still got a few years left in the tank for Real so we can enjoy his magic just that LITTLE bit longer.

WARCOCK

Banned
Omfg Mr ping your just sore that zidane owned the UK at this year's euro :p.

FAREWELL FELLOW SAND...N.... erm i mean algerian.

CelticFC#1

Free Scotland in 2008
The guy is a legend. I was lucky enough to see the man in person for the Champions League Final at Hampden against Bayer Leverkusen and his goal was one of the best I've ever seen.

It just showed his quality and I doubt there would have been another player on the planet that could have done that.

Absolutely loved it as well what he done to the English at Euro 2004.

Hail to Zizou.

NLB2

Banned
ff9-zidane.jpg

nitewulf

amazing player. i used to d/l clips of his goals off of kazaa and be mesmerized at his skill. end of an era certainly.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"The guy is a legend. I was lucky enough to see the man in person for the Champions League Final at Hampden against Bayer Leverkusen and his goal was one of the best I've ever seen."

my father (a massive Man Utd fan... booo) was on the phone to me whilst the game was on, moaning about how over-rated Zindane was yadda yadda yadda.

DC : "Um... are you watching the same game i am???"

father : "yeah, he won't even get into our (Man Utd's) reserve te-(zidane scores that goal) ..... HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom