• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 Films to See In December (what are you watching?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Hobbit if I see anything at all. And only because I think my mom wants to go see it. I'm expecting 2 hours of walking on ridges, celtic music, and that annoying Gollum followed by a whole whopping 10 minutes of dragons.

Which is sad, cause I love fantasy. Wasn't impressed by the first Hobbit.

I'm more interested in seeing the Hunger Games sequel but really there is nothing that makes me want to go in to the theater.

xbhaskarx

"and perhaps the Coens' most emotionally affecting film."

This worries me, I like my Coens somewhere between detached and misanthropic...

There's some good ones this month

Out of the Furnace
American Hustle
Anchorman 2
The Wolf on Wall Street
Her
47 Ronin

Still need to see 12 years a Slave.

I had Out of the Furnace on this list yesterday, but removed it. Saw it last night and was super disappointed. Misguided, nonsensical third act and Woody Harrelson is a crazy, scene-chewing villain in a different movie.

Also heard Desolation of Smaug is a good deal better than An Unexpected Journey (obviously), but couldn't muster it up to make a mention of it on the list.

That hurts. I have plans to see it twice already so hopefully it's good!

Probably won't see Furnace in theatres now due to the above.

Hobbit 2, Frozen, Wolf, Ronin and Hustle. Busy month.

Necrovex

I had Out of the Furnace on this list yesterday, but removed it. Saw it last night and was super disappointed. Misguided, nonsensical third act and Woody Harrelson is a crazy, scene-chewing villain in a different movie.

That's a major disappointment. I was looking forward to it as well.

Anyway, here is what I plan to see this month:

Madoka Magica: Rebellion (out this month in Clearwater)

American Hustle. I loved The Fighter (there was another boxing film that came out around that time, does anyone remember the name of it?) and Silver Linings Playbook (well the first 2/3rd of it, I only liked the last third.).

Her. I was a little skeptical by the trailers, but the posts in here is making me reconsider my stance.

The Wolf of Wall Street. I love Scorsese.

Hobbit 2. I love Middle Earth, so I have to see this.

Lone Survivor. I'll see it due to my neighbor footing the bill. I am not *that* interested in it, but it looks to have potential.

Inside Llewyn Davis. I love the Coen brothers.

I might see Anchorman, Out of the Furnace, 47 Ronins, and Walter Mitty (disappointed by the mix reviews as I loved the trailers for it).

I was wondering why you didn't have it in the top ten I'll check out this weekend and see for myself though my dad is really looking forward to it.

Ceebs

Am I the only one that has found all the Anchorman 2 promo stuff lacking any humor whatsoever? It makes me want to wait for the Blu-Ray on that one.

Considering skipping out early on family Christmas thing to go see Wolf of Wall Street though.

Am I the only one that has found all the Anchorman 2 promo stuff lacking any humor whatsoever? It makes me want to wait for the Blu-Ray on that one.

Considering skipping out early on family Christmas thing to go see Wolf of Wall Street though.

Talked to some people that saw it last night and said it was funny, so hopeful. But I agree, not looking strong.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Ouch, can't even give a matinee spot to the Hobbit 2? Early buzz seems to be really positive. Anchorman 2 screams dud to me, but I didn't particular like the first one.

Planning on catching up on some November movies, such as 12 Days a Slave and Frozen. Really wanting to see Her as well, hoping it is available in my area.

Quake1028

• Inside Llewyn Davis (CBS) - 12/6
• American Hustle (Sony) - 12/13
• The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (WB) - 12/13
• Anchorman: The Legend Continues (Par.) - 12/18
• Her (2013) (WB) - 12/18
• Walking with Dinosaurs (Fox) - 12/20
• 47 Ronin (Uni.) - 12/25
• Lone Survivor (Uni.) - 12/25
• The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (Fox) - 12/25
• The Wolf of Wall Street (Par.) - 12/25

haikira

UK here, so not very much it seems. Almost everything in the OP comes out January here, earliest. This month I'll be going to see The Desolation of Smaug and The Secret Life of Walter Mitty.

UK January releases I'll be watching:

12 Years a Slave
The Wolf of Wall Street
Inside Llewyn Davis
Her
American Hustle

Ridley327

Hell yes. Great news that it is getting a wide release. Makes sense, as I'm sure it'll be an oscar contender.

Any idea about how they're rolling Her out?

Limited release throughout December, and what will likely end up being a semi-wide expansion in early January.

LevelNth

Banned
I still can't fathom why anyone wouldn't want to see Her. It's going to be tackling what is perceived now as an absurd topic that in 15-20 years is going to be so real even posters here will be shocked.

It's easily my most anticipated Oscar type movie this year.

Necrovex

I still can't fathom why anyone wouldn't want to see Her. It's going to be tackling what is perceived now as an absurd topic that in 15-20 years is going to be so real even posters here will be shocked.

It's easily my most anticipated Oscar type movie this year.

Going to be? Look at Japan and Love +. The future of loving machines is here.

linsivvi

Her
Inside Llewyn Davis
White Reindeer
American Hustle
The Past
The Wolf of Wall Street

In that order of eagerness to watch.

jtb

Banned
will definitely see

Her
American Hustle
Wolf of Wall Street
Inside Llewyn Davis

Will probably catch a few others too, time depending.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
For sure: Wolf of Wall Street & The Hobbit
Maybe: Inside Llewlyn Davis & 47 Ronin.

On the one hand Inside Llewlyn Davis is a Coen movie which makes it interesting, on the other hand the subject matter and footage I've seen of it look utterly uninteresting.

BioHazard

What a great month, tons of stuff, in for:

Breakfast with Curtis (Abr.) - 12/4
• Out of the Furnace (Rela.) - 12/4
• Commitment (WGUSA) - 12/6
• Inside Llewyn Davis (CBS) - 12/6
• Khumba (MNE) - 12/6
• The Last Days on Mars (Magn.) - 12/6
• Swerve (Cohen) - 12/6
• Nuclear Nation (FRun) - 12/11
• American Hustle (Sony) - 12/13
• Here Comes the Devil (Magn.) - 12/13
• The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (WB) - 12/13
• Liv & Ingmar (Jan.) - 12/13
• Saving Mr. Banks (BV) - 12/13
• Tyler Perry's A Madea Christmas (LGF) - 12/13
• Anchorman: The Legend Continues (Par.) - 12/18
• Her (2013) (WB) - 12/18
• Dhoom 3 (Yash) - 12/20
• The Past (SPC) - 12/20
• The Selfish Giant (IFC) - 12/20
• Walking with Dinosaurs (Fox) - 12/20
• 47 Ronin (Uni.) - 12/25
• August: Osage County (Wein.) - 12/25
• Believe (ORF) - 12/25
• Grudge Match (WB) - 12/25
• The Invisible Woman (SPC) - 12/25
• Lone Survivor (Uni.) - 12/25
• The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (Fox) - 12/25
• The Wolf of Wall Street (Par.) - 12/25
• One Chance (Wein.) - 12/27

border

At this point in time it's impossible to create a text chat AI that can even hold a convincing conversation. The level of AI and quality of voice synthesis necessary to create a realistic girlfriend is a long long time away.

Is this the first time there has not been a lot of hype for a Peter Jackson Middle-Earth film.

I must admit.. I'm not that excited to see it. But that feels wrong thinking that in my heart. I love middle-earth. I think The Hobbit was excellent in many ways but no way how I slice it I can't get over the fact...

The white evil Orc in Hobbit was not a great villain. I don't think he offered anything. Because he was worth almost nothing it was difficult for the hero dwarfs to be anything. Then there was the repeats. And the saving graces. And all this CGI which looked fake.

It's almost like a deja vu to Star Wars. The old movies had flair and personality with costumes and make up. The new ones are dead and hollow with all the CGI and wonky acting from actors talking into green screens.

Sure LOTR had CGI but it was used more sparsely. And only Gollum was really used. The Orcs in Hobbit.. and goblin king. It felt like a Harry Potter movie.

But do I really believe this? Did 48 Frames had anything to do with it? shiit.

Blader

A guy from work saw Anchorman 2 in a screening last night, said it was ok but mostly felt like a rehash of the first one's jokes.

Sounds like a typical comedy sequel, which is disappointing.

Esiquio

Just saw an advanced screening of Lone Survivor....damn that was a good movie. I thought it was pretty tough to watch because of the physical beating those guys took, and the incredible loss that Luttrell experienced. The brotherhood and sheer inner strength of those men was inspiring but damn was it a tragic movie. Left the theatre and didn't really want to talk for a couple of hours as it all just sank in.

border

It seems that at least on social media, there is a lot of pushback against Saving Mr. Banks. Apparently the story is a complete fabrication, and it goes out of its way to denigrate PL Travers.

Is this going to hurt its award/Oscar chances?

Ridley327

It seems that at least on social media, there is a lot of pushback against Saving Mr. Banks. Apparently the story is a complete fabrication, and it goes out of its way to denigrate PL Travers.

Is this going to hurt its award/Oscar chances?

It always came across as being too minor for serious awards buzz, so this really doesn't change its chances much. The worst that will happen is that Hanks doesn't get two nominations this year, but OH WELL.

ЯAW

Banned
Really liked American Hustle. It kinda felt like Scorsese film to be honest. I bet I even end ranking it over Wolf of Wall Street. Wolf looks too exaggerated to be interesting satire. I wonder if Leo is out of Oscar luck again. I would see 12 Years a Slave's lead take the Oscar this year. Fass and Bale will cage fight for the supporting actor Oscar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom