• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 Films To See In September (what are you watching?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
i dont get the whole premise of moneyball

did the A's ever even win anything

the trailer is so cringeworthy.. making it out to be this mythical team lol

Robot 492

Banned
Expendable. said:
It seriously blew my mind. A comedy with zero jokes, I can't wait.
I had to sit through that trailer (non-red band one) a couple weeks ago before 30 Minutes or Less. Not one laugh in the entire theater. It was awkward in a "why the fuck does this exist" kind of way.

brianjones said:
i dont get the whole premise of moneyball

did the A's ever even win anything

the trailer is so cringeworthy.. making it out to be this mythical team lol
I like the cast and it's from the same guy who directed Capote.

overcast

MidnightCowboy said:
Take Shelter looks incredible. I love Michael Shannon.
Just watched the trailer, I agree. Putting that on the list. That means 5 movies that I want to watch. Will probably only end up seeing Drive and 50/50 though. Unless some friends want to watch the other 3.

UrbanRats

icarus-daedelus said:
Curious about:

Take Shelter (why do the promo pics remind me of The Happening?!)
Drive (guessing this will be all style no sub, but hopefully the style is good)
Tucker & Dale (not a horcom person myself but the premise is cute)

And will probably see the one with Marion Cotillard and the other one with Rachel Weisz.
Dude, you have some fine tastes, let me tell you.

Beam said:
Expendable, do you watch foreign language movies?

Yeah absolutely love foreign films. Almost every year they are actually much better as a whole than Hollywood or even indie output here in the states.

Enco

What a brilliant month.

Gonna watch all of the top 10 save for Restless. Seems pretty boring.

Also, Straw Dogs and Killer Elite. Busy month.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
I question the wisdom of turning Moneyball into a film (this talent would be much better applied to The Big Short), but a Miller/Sorkin combo seems irresistible - at least if Miller can live up to Capote.

Expendable. said:
Yeah absolutely love foreign films. Almost every year they are actually much better as a whole than Hollywood or even indie output here in the states.
Maybe you should start recommending these movies in this thread. Maybe some kind of sub category. There are a lot of great indie/foreign film that gafers should pay attention too :)

Beam said:
Maybe you should start recommending these movies in this thread. Maybe some kind of sub category. There are a lot of great indie/foreign film that gafers should pay attention too :)

What Foreign Films will be released in the US this month?

Quake1028

Great looking month:

Shark Night 3D
Warrior
Drive
Orgy
Straw Dogs
Killer Elite
50/50 (by far my most anticipated movie of the month)

With Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Drive and Tucker & Dale Vs Evil all coming out so close to each other over here, I'm actually just planning on spending a day at the cinema. Should be good. Just trying to figure out what would be the best order.

Well, this plan only really works properly if Tucker & Dale gets shown in Manchester. Hopefully.

Quake1028

Gloomfire said:
Great looking month:

Shark Night 3D
Warrior
Drive
Orgy
Straw Dogs
Killer Elite
50/50 (by far my most anticipated movie of the month)

Wait, Shark Night is only PG-13? Fuck that, then. I'll replace that with Tucker & Dale.

And I absolutely love Nick Swardson's comedy and Grandma's Boy, but Bucky Larson looks like it could be the worst movie of all-time.

Foliorum Viridum said:
Why are traielrs gone from OP?

Talked with mods and not going to have anything linking to my site in these posts anymore since it qualifies as spam since it is not original content. Sorry, just have to do a quick Google search for the trailers from now on!

Beam said:

Yep, I always recommend any ones on my radar! Just check out past lists, which are full of them. There was nothing this month worth recommend, aside from possibly Love Exposure. But I only realized that was getting a limited NYC run after I posted the list :( It wasn't even on Box Office Mojo.

What a terrible month for films. Also Tucker & Dale is available to rent on the Zune marketplace right now. :)

I guess Take Shelter is the only film I will see, will rent Contagion when it comes out on dvd.

Timbuktu

Really really great month. Drive and Tinker Taylor for the UK, plus it is Edward Yang and Terrance Mallick season at the bfi, a lot of films i need to see , plus Juraissic Park and Lion King re-release as well for bonus.

Expendable. said:
Talked with mods and not going to have anything linking to my site in these posts anymore since it qualifies as spam since it is not original content. Sorry, just have to do a quick Google search for the trailers from now on.
I think it's fair enough that you don't spam your blog with all of these topics.

But if you are going to keep making them you should replace links with Youtube trailers etc. Just lazy not to just because it's not self promotion any longer.

Natiko

Banned
Definitely going to see Drive and 50/50. Might try to catch Lion King in 3D simply for the nostalgia. Might just wait until DVD to see the others I'm interested in (Contagion and Straw Dogs).

Really looking forward to Drive and Take Shelter. I'll probably also try to catch 50/50, Contagion, and Moneyball (although Brad Pitt's haircut infuriates me for some reason) at some point.

Drahcir

I've been waiting impatiently for Drive since it was announced as Refn's next film. Glad to read so many positive reviews for it although I have a bad feeling about how it will do at the box office.

Expendable. said:
Yep, I always recommend any ones on my radar! Just check out past lists, which are full of them. There was nothing this month worth recommend, aside from possibly Love Exposure. But I only realized that was getting a limited NYC run after I posted the list :( It wasn't even on Box Office Mojo.

Love Exposure was in LA a few months ago and I missed it.

Expendable. said:
Oh shit! I forgot to put this as #1:

bucky-larson-born-to-be-a-star-w342.jpg

The red band trailer is one of the greatest things ever.

Is it bad that I somewhat want to see this? Like to see how dumb it is?

Flying_Phoenix said:
Is it bad that I somewhat want to see this? Like to see how dumb it is?

I continually joke with my friends that if this was a VOD release, we would totally download it under the influence just to see the results. Sony should just do that, might make more money.

Nyx

Will see Dream House, Apollo 18 and Warrior due to work, will see Moneyball, Contagion, Drive and Limelight because I want to.

Already seen Tucker & Dale, which was fun for sure.

faridmon

Apollo 18 is already out in UK and I keep hearikng bad impressions about it. Unless you like the live horror thingy, I'd say stay out of it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Foliorum Viridum said:
I think it's fair enough that you don't spam your blog with all of these topics.

But if you are going to keep making them you should replace links with Youtube trailers etc. Just lazy not to just because it's not self promotion any longer.

Here are they are in YouTube form:

Dream House
Restless
Machine Gun Preacher
Warrior
Margaret
Moneyball
Take Shelter
Contagion
50/50
Drive (Red Band; requires sign-in)

Edit: And the rest:

Happy, Happy
A Good Old Fashioned Orgy (Red Band here; requires sign-in)
The Black Power Mix Tape: 1967-1975
The Lion King 3D
Straw Dogs
Tucker & Dale vs Evil (Red Band here)
Limelight
Killer Elite (Trailer #2 here)

overcast

Wow, Warrior is getting some nice reviews so far. Going to have to check it out when it hits the cheap theater.

Interested to see the Contagion reviews.

Kuwa

I saw Take Shelter at the local film festival a month or two ago, and would really recommend it. I'll probably be seeing it again if it gets a wider release over here.

Buckethead said:
Who did Jessica Chastain blow in the last year or two?

I mean... man she's really getting a lot of work.

She actually shot The Tree of Life years ago, but since then people wanted to work with her after Malick brought her on....so she ended up shooting all of these movies and after some getting delayed (The Debt, Texas Killing Field), they are all finally coming out all around the same time.

Arnie said:
UK GAF shouldn't be disheartened at all this month as we get the best one before the rest.

Yep, and all the Venice reviews just came out. Almost everyone says it is amazing. So very jealous.

Do people actually like most of the shit that Jason Statham is in?

Apart from that, all of the other movies look great. Bucky Larson looks awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom