• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

15 Albums you can listen to all the way through

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fina1e

The Gaslight Anthem - 59 Sound
Boards of Canada - Music Has the Right to Children
Sigur Ros - Agaetis Byrjun
Sigur Ros - ()
Bon Iver - For Emma Forever Ago
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Refused - The Shape of Punk to Come
American Football - Self Titled
Oceansize - Frames
Oceansize - Everyone into Position
Oceansize - Effloresce
The National - Boxer
dredg - Catch Without Arms
Minus the Bear - Highly Refined Pirates
The Cure - Disintegration

n0b

corkscrewblow said:
Well The Beatles (album) has at least five shitty filler tracks and it's still a great album so you're wrong.

Actually I would disagree, I don't think any of the tracks on that are filler (its my favorite Beatles album), and I didn't say that filler makes an album bad, I said that I am less likely to listen to an overly long album than one that is perfectly paced and never drags on.

Unless of course, you are saying that the Beatles album is impossible to listen to all the way through, then I would ask why you are bringing up albums that you don't like enough to listen through.

WEGGLES said:
Honestly? One serious dud doesn't ruin an entire album...

I agree, but if its an album that only has ONE serious dud, then I will still listen through the dud. I am saying if I like an album AT ALL, I consider it worth my time to listen through the whole thing.

I think it says more about you guys that you are assuming that I am saying albums are bad because they have filler. I have almost 700 albums rated on RYM, and less than 50 of them are albums I would say I can't listen to all the way through. Even the albums I rated low I am perfectly happy to listen all the way through.

Lets do this.

Red of Tooth and Claw by Murder by Death.
Who Will Survive and What Will Become of Them by Murder by Death
Friend and Foe by Menomena
Mines by Menomena
New Leaves by Owen
Dig!!! Lazarus Dig!!! by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
The Fake that Sunk a Thousand Ships by Sam Quinn
Visiter by The Dodos
The Runners Four by Deerhoof
Rubber Factory by The Black Keys
Room Sound by Califone
Creek Drank the Cradle by Iron and Wine
Shepard's Dog by Iron and Wine
Untrue by Burial
Sound of Silver by LCD soundsystem

Ask me something harder.

Persona7

Banned
Laura Veirs
* July Flame
* Saltbreakers

Sleater Kinney
* Sleater-Kinney
* Dig Me Out
* The Hot Rock
* The Woods

Tegan and Sara
* If It Was You
* So Jealous
* The Con
* Sainthood

Kaki King
* Everybody Loves You
* Legs to Make Us Longer
* ...Until We Felt Red
* Dreaming of Revenge
* Junior

Jarlaxle

Most of the albums I buy I pretty much listen to straight through but here are some of my favorites:

Porcupine Tree - Deadwing
David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars
Dream Theatre - Scenes from a Memory
Ayreon - The Human Equation
The Beatles - Rubber Soul
The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
Opeth - Damnation
Phideaux - Doomsday Afternoon
Pink Floyd - The Wall
R.E.M. - Out of Time
Riverside - Second Life Syndrome
Spoon - Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
Stone Temple Pilots - Purple
Tool - Lateralus (Although I think Aenima is better but I do skip through some of the filler)
Soundgarden - Superunknown

koam

15? too easy

Radiohead - In Rainbows
Nirvana - Nevermind
Tool - Lateralus
The Kills - Midnight Boom
Pearl Jam - Ten
Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
A Perfect Circle - Mers De Noms
Foo Fighters - Skin and Bones
Dead Weather - Horehound
Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
Chris Cornell - Unplugged in Sweden
Portishead - Dummy
Muse - Showbix
Metric - Old World Undergorund

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
AlteredBeast said:
Fitter Happier is obviously not good, but it isn't a song, so it doesn't detract from the experience)
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
WAT?!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Good to see Lateralus getting some love. Danny Carey's best work.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
You're missing out. It's so fucking good.
Do you skip out on Pulk/Pull Revolving Doors too?

Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt
Notorious B.I.G. - Ready To Die
Mobb Deep - The Infamous
Radiohead - OK Computer
Muse - The Resistance
Lady Gaga - The Fame Monster
Arcade Fire - Funeral
Beirut - The Flying Club Cup
Beirut - Gulag Orkestar
My Bloody Valetine - Loveless
The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
The Beatles - Rubbersoul
Sufjan Stevens - Illinois
Daft Punk - Discovery
Flying Lotus - Los Angeles

KidDork

I was going to say anything by The Jam, but I was skipping through Sound Affects in the car today, so...

But here are some definite no-skips:

Metric--Fantasies

It's the best New Wave album that really should have the power to go back in time and be released in 1982.

Radiohead--The Bends

Adding to the applause, but it remains my favourite Radiohead album ever. The newer material, while I still buy it, just doesn't have the power for me that this album did.

The Beatles--Abbey Road

And the above posters have made me want to revisit Porcupine Tree tonight for re-evaluation.

Albums without songs you skip != favorite/best albums.

Remember, even London Calling, widely considered one of the best albums ever made, has at least one shit song - Lover's Rock - and maybe even two or three if you count the hit-or-miss songs like Card Cheat and Four Horsemen.

TheUsual

Gold Member
g.r.e. said:
Poets Of The Fall Twilight Theater

Have to quote you again. First for Bathory and now for Poets of The Fall. I'm missing out on some great bands. I'm just going on youtube and enjoying their stuff. Does this music get played much here in the States?

Jarlaxle

KidDork said:
And the above posters have made me want to revisit Porcupine Tree tonight for re-evaluation.

I've always felt that Porcupine Tree is a slow burn on almost any album. It takes repeated runs to discover how amazing they really are. That's kind of what makes it fun and so great.

Woffls

Dark Side of the Moon, the Division Bell, Images and Words, Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, Kezia.
Divine Wings of Tragedy, Paradise Lost, Shadow Gallery, The Human Equation, Holy Diver
The Black Album, Master of Puppets, And Justice For All, Unbreakable, Love at First Sting

148216m.jpg
148218m.jpg
2915062m.jpg
148764m.jpg
933835m.jpg

161185m.jpg
1138437m.jpg
61tWANDFpiL_SL500_AA280_.jpg
12083048m.jpg
741619m.jpg

130432m.jpg
130427m.jpg
130431m.jpg
156987m.jpg
577537m.jpg

This is a fraction of the albums I will listen to all the way through. Just the ones I think of first at the moment. There might be a weak track or two in there somewhere, but with prog and concept albums I listen to all of the tracks regardless.

WEGGLES

n0b said:
I agree, but if its an album that only has ONE serious dud, then I will still listen through the dud. I am saying if I like an album AT ALL, I consider it worth my time to listen through the whole thing.

I think it says more about you guys that you are assuming that I am saying albums are bad because they have filler. I have almost 700 albums rated on RYM, and less than 50 of them are albums I would say I can't listen to all the way through. Even the albums I rated low I am perfectly happy to listen all the way through.
I'll put up with songs that are meh, or even bad.

but Hyyerr I can not stand at all. :lol

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
Slowdive - Just For A Day
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Let Love In
Darren Hayman and the Secondary Modern - Pram Town
The Jesus and Mary Chain - Psychocandy
The Strokes - Is This It
Television - Marque Moon
Deerhunter - Microcastles
The Pixies - Doolittle
Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power
The Velvet Underground - White Light/White Heat
The Beatles - Please Please Me
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Fever To Tell
Weezer - Blue Album
Queens of the Stone Age - Songs For the Deaf

Magnus

Not a single one.

There's always so much crap on every album cushioning the amazing stuff.

Wait, I listened to all of Dark Passion Play from Nightwish in one sitting the day I got it. Does that count?

Vomiaouaf

So many good picks here.

Sorry to be so shallow, but Madonna's Confessions album is still one of the rare pop gems that you can listen from A to Z without feeling bored. Price's production is peerless. Packed with simple details like an synth-heavy album ending on acoustic guitar. He's probably one of the only producers out there who rarely leaves "fillers" in his work.

Ween: Chocolate & Cheese
Beck: Odelay
Matthew Sweet: Blue Sky on Mars
They Might Be Giants: Flood
Beastie Boys: Check Your Head

That's all I can think of for now.

KidDork

Jarlaxle said:
I've always felt that Porcupine Tree is a slow burn on almost any album. It takes repeated runs to discover how amazing they really are. That's kind of what makes it fun and so great.

You're right, completely. I gave them another few listens last night, and I think I'm a fan now.

Anarchistry

I love doing things like this.

Brand New- The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me
Andrew Jackson Jihad- People Than Can Eat People are the Luckiest
Bon Iver- For Emma, Forever Ago
Bright Eyes- I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning
Kevin Devine- Put Your Ghost to Rest
Lupe Fiasco- Food & Liquor
Vampire Weekend- Vampire Weekend
Vampire Weekend- Contra
MGMT- Oracular Spectacular
The Microphones- The Glow, pt. 2
Jimmy Eat World- Bleed American
Mumford and Sons- Sigh No More
The Tallest Man on Earth- The Wild Hunt
The xx- xx
La Dispute- Somewhere at the Bottom of the River between Vega and Altair

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Doggystyle - Snoop Dogg - pretty much one of the best west coast album ever (after No One Can Do it Better). Perfect blend of Gfunk and old riding beats. I loved the Chronic but I am not going to lie and say I listen to the whole album like I do with Doggystyle

Straight outta of Compton - NWA - Classic, paints a really solid picture of Cali life during the colors era.. also started the West Coast movement

ATLiens - Outkast - Their best album. Good mix of Andre's poppiness and Big Boi's down south roots.

Uncle Sam's Curse - Above the Law- Sadly under-rated album from a group that features one of the better rappers verse for verse from the West Coast. Cold 187 spits all album.. good stuff
Trauma - DJ Quik - Quik is one of the few rapper/producers who does both really well. Most of his albums are great. Way 2 Funky almost made it over this one, but I really loved how he came back to his roots with the album giving the feeling of his older stuff like Way 2 Funky and Quik is the Name.

Jimi Hendrix's Experience - Jimi Hendrix - Jimi.. what else can be said?

The Documentary - The Game - listened to a bunch of this album for the first time in awhile and thought how great it sounded all together and then he proceeds to release one good song per album after that... sad..

Death Certificate- Ice Cube - God damn I'm glad y'all set it off.. Hard to think the man who made this classic album is doing kid movies.

Michael Jackson - Thriller - Mike had a pass to do anything he wanted from me because of this album

Digital Underground - Sex Packets - Sad that nobody gives Shock G any love.. They had a really solid run of albums but Sex Packets was by far the funniest.. from the wacky Humpty crap to the more artful sounds to the west coast gfunk souns the album had a bit of it all.

4.21 - Method Man - Method Man is ill.. He is so good that he deserves to be on beats from all over the map.. Tical the Prequel and this album are my favorites because the productions are so varied making them so good.

Malpractice - Redman - Red is a little rusty these days but this album was nuts.

Silkk the Shocker - Silkk the Shocker (dirty pleasure of mine) - I was a big No Limit fan in high school. Like most teenagers I was mad at the world and No Limit gave me all the angry screaming I needed. But with being said this album is pretty solid.. and the beats are stupid banging..

In a Major Way - E-40 (in truth I could have filled half the list with 40 water albums) Man so many great albums from E-40 it was hard to pick one.. so I picked the one that started his national career instead of being sold only on the west coast. But in truth almost all of his albums I listen to start to finish

No One Can Do it Better - The D.O.C- annnnnd to me maybe the greatest rap album of all time. I know people will say Illmatic, Erik B and Rakim and many other classics... but if you have never heard this album and you are a hip hop listen to it and tell you honestly think it was recorded in 1988/1989.. The DOC pretty much helped create the West Coast sound that was popular through the 90s... And he did it with one album.. Before he messed up his voice box in a car crash.. then he pretty much made Snoop by writing for him..

n0b said:
Actually I would disagree, I don't think any of the tracks on that are filler (its my favorite Beatles album), and I didn't say that filler makes an album bad

Revolution number 9 is fucking garbage:lol and look at my user name, I'm a huge beatles fan

Tremas

Autolux - Future Perfect
The Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin
Nick Drake - Pink Moon
Radiohead - Ok Computer
Elliott Smith - Either/Or
Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures
Mark Lanegan - Bubblegum
The Velvet Underground - White Light/White Heat
Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea
New Order - Movement
Pixies - Doolittle
The Smiths - Meat Is Murder
Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation
PJ Harvey - Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea

besada

Banned
I grew up on albums, so I listen to entire albums all the time, but these fifteen (randomly picked) are all ones that once I listen to a bit, I have to hear the whole album:

Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick - One of my favorite albums of all time. If I hear even a lick of it, I'll have to hear the whole 45+ minute song/album.

Sisters of Mercy - First Last and Always - Not even my favorite Sisters album, but for me it evokes a time and a place so strongly that the nostalgia captures me.

The Mountain Goats - The Sunset Tree - I listen to this entire album at least once a month. There are so many songs on this album that speak to me that I would have bought a copy for every song if I had to.

Lemon Jelly - Both .ky and Lost Horizons -- Every song amazing. I would literally kidnap their families to get another album of this caliber.

Low - The Great Destroyer - A wonderful album that moves from quiet to loud to insane, and back to quiet. Not much like most Low albums.

XTC - Apple Venus - I'm an XTC freak, but Apple Venus was the first album they put out after their long protracted struggle with Virgin music. Great songs, done with swelling strings and woodwinds instead of electric guitars and keyboards.

Pink Floyd - The Final Cut - One of the least favorite Floyd albums is my favorite. It's distilled Waters in agony, which is the bit I always liked about Floyd. It's one of those albums that killed a band, so you must respect its mojo.

Paul Simon - Songs from the Capeman - Paul Simon, Reuben Blades, Marc Anthony and a musical about the life of Salvador Agron. Certainly not for everyone, but it moves me very deeply.

Violent Femmes - Hallowed Ground - Country Death Song starts the album and It's Gonna Rain ends it. Never found a good place to stop. I've owned this on vinyl, cassette, and DVD.

Liz Phair - Girly Sound(sorta) - Not actually an album, but a collection of demos prior to Exile in Guyville I got from a friend in Chicago. I converted them to MP3 years ago. They eventually released all of them except a couple, but in different versions. I got used to these. I always listen to them in one big orgy.

Bad Religion - Stranger Than Fiction - Another once a month album. Almost always while I'm driving.

Bentley Rhythm Ace - Bentley Rhythm Ace - I want to fuck this entire album and give it babies.

1 Giant Leap - 1 Giant Leap - Not only every song on the album, but ever bar of every song. I routinely force people to listen to this album. It's always on my memory stick.

Soul Coughing - El Oso - Another band-ending album. So cohesive, so lyrically beautiful and funky.

That's fifteen, but I never got around to Key Lime Pie by Camper Van Beethoven. I love albums.

Quake1028

12 that I found quickly scanning through my iTunes

Aesop Rock - Labor Days
Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
Biffy Clyro - Only Revolutions
The Gaslight Anthem - The '59 Sound
Interpol - Turn on the Bright Lights
NaS - Illmatic
The Postal Service - Give Up
She&Him - Volume Two
Story of the Year - Page Avenue
The Strokes - Is This It?
Vampire Weekend - s/t
The White Stripes - White Blood Cells

Bradlums

The Clash - London Calling
Interpol - Turn on the Bright Lights
M.I.A. - Kala
Radiohead - Kid A (any Radiohead album besides Pablo Honey could fit here)
No Doubt - Tragic Kingdom
The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's
Beck - Midnite Vultures
TV on the Radio - Return to Cookie Mountain
Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago
Kings of Leon - Youth and Young Manhood
The Mars Volta - De-loused in the Comatorium
Smashing Pumpkins - Adore
Pixies - Come on Pilgrim
Joe Hisaishi - Totoro Soundtrack
Queens of the Stone Age - Self Titled (or any of their other albums for that matter)

Alice in Chains - Black Gives Way to Blue
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Dax Johnson - Levity
Depeche Mode - Violator
Engima - The Screen Behind the Mirror
Judas Priest - Screaming for Vengeance
Juno Reactor - Labyrinth
Ladytron - Velocifero
Marilyn Manson - Mechanical Animals
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral
Nirvana - Nevermind
Rammstein - Reise, Reise
Rob Zombie - Hellbilly Deluxe
Saul Williams - Saul Williams
Silversun Pickups - Carnavas

Really hard to get only 15...but I guess that's part of the fun :)

There were plenty of other album choices from the artists I listed that I may actually consider better, but I haven't necessarily listened to enough, or may not be listening to as much at the moment.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Blood Red Shoes - Fire Like This

And that's it. Every other CD I've listened to has at least one track I don't like.

Everdred

Alexisonfire - Crisis
Brand New - Deja Entendu
Brand New - The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me
Eminem - Marshal Mathers LP
Tool - Lateralus

Are the only ones I can think of.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
1.Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
2.The Eminem Show
3.The wall
4.Dark Side of the moon
5.MMLP
6.Folsom prison blues
7.Sunny Side Up
8.The Chronic 2001
9.Slaughterhouse
10.The black Album
11.Jumping all over the world
12.Clubland Classix
12.The Doors
13.The Final cut
14.These streets
15.Straight outta compton

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
mooooose said:
Nice Placebo mention. Black Market Music is a classic in my book and something me and my girlfriend hold near and dear to our hearts. Great album.

Pleasantly surprised by a lot of the things posted in this thread. Not the typical GAF.

Everyone I've spoken to about Placebo seems to like Without You I'm Nothing more than Black Market Music, but I much prefer the latter. I've grown out of Placebo over the years, but I still really like the variety and sound of Black Market Music. Spite & Malice, Black-Eyed, and Slave to the Wage are so good.

Boston - Boston
Eight Songs, seven of which are fantastic, and the last one which is okay. It also features the best guitar solo ever played.

2qth4cl.jpg

Deep Purple - Machine Head
Such a great album from start to finish. This album nails the classic rock feeling. Also one of the most talented bands out there. Not a weak song on the album, all the songs deserve radio play.

xdowi.png

EatChildren said:
Everyone I've spoken to about Placebo seems to like Without You I'm Nothing more than Black Market Music, but I much prefer the latter. I've grown out of Placebo over the years, but I still really like the variety and sound of Black Market Music. Spite & Malice, Black-Eyed, and Slave to the Wage are so good.

placebo are kind of a guilty pleasure for me in a so bad theyre good kind of way

i like sleeping w/ ghosts

cory64

It was easy for me to think of albums, but hard to narrow it down to 15.
I guess I'm an album person. (I know, it skews ridiculously recent.)

Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion
Arcade Fire - Funeral
Beach House - Teen Dream*
Bloc Party - Intimacy*
Daft Punk - Alive 2007* (or Homework or Discovery)
Justice - †
The Killers - Sam's Town (or Hot Fuss)
MGMT - Oracular Spectacular
Passion Pit - Manners
The Postal Service - Give Up*
Radiohead - In Rainbows
Sleigh Bells - Treats
Weezer - Pinkerton (or Blue)
The xx - XX*

*I rarely just listen to one or two songs, I usually listen to the whole album.

Jeramii

Banned
51nQfPKFP1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
81-talkie-walkie.jpg
between_the_buried_and_me-colors.jpg
RadioheadInRainbows.jpg
portugal300.jpg
38666437.png
muse-showbiz.jpg
2qx264w.jpg
51QXWSP434L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
0819290.jpg
my-morning-jacket-z.jpg
option-paralysis-300x300.png
bec5772110.jpg
0015d382_medium.jpeg
B00005LMBK.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

...and the battle begun
talkie walkie
colors
in rainbows
the satanic satanist
songs for the deaf
showbiz
dystopia
and the glass handed kites
the great misdirect
z
option paralysis
†
meddle
gorillaz

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
This has been doing the rounds on Facebook actually, so here's mine.

1. Bloc Party - Silent Alarm

2. Weezer - Blue Album

3. Radiohead - The Bends

4. Fall Out Boy - Take This To Your Grave

5. Blink 182 - Enema Of The State

6. Brand New - The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me

7. Gorillaz - Demon Days

8. Lupe Fiasco - The Cool

9. Muse - Origin Of Symmetry

10. Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea

11. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication

12. The Killers - Hot Fuss

13. Lostprophets - Start Something

14. Rage Against The Machine - Rage Against The Machine

15. Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom