• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2.7 billion records with socials recently hacked

Mistake

Gold Member
The data allegedly comes from National Public Data, a company that collects and sells access to personal data for use in background checks, to obtain criminal records, and for private investigators.
Each record consists of the following information - a person's name, mailing addresses, and social security number, with some records including additional information, like other names associated with the person. None of this data is encrypted.

Previously leaked samples of this data also included phone numbers and email addresses, but these are not included in this 2.7 billion record leak.
Just came across this. What a mess. I recommend changing phone numbers if possible and keeping an eye on your credit. This information can easily be used for title fraud or opening bank accounts. Also beware of an uptick of phishing attacks

Last edited:

dorkimoe

I don’t even know why we bother protecting our stuff anymore. A new system is gonna need to be created for identifying yourself.

I keep my credit frozen and just unfreeze it when I need to.

Shocking it was a person with a weeb avatar

Last edited:

Thaedolus

At the very least have notifications on for whenever someone pings your credit or tries to open a new account. Best to keep them frozen until you need a loan

Mistake

Gold Member
I just did a search to see what stuff of mine is online. Turns out you can get a lot more info on people searching a phone number than a person's name, but I suppose that's not much different than phonebooks used to be 🤷‍♂️ However my address isn't current. As for socials, I already assumed that's gone with the equifax breach a while back.

I'll be freezing my transunion and equifax later, if I can even access them. Last time I tried I couldn't verify. Seems most businesses use experian these days though

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Apparently the data is a mess, it's data gleaned from other sources and isn't necessarily correct.

Mistake

Gold Member
Apparently the data is a mess, it's data gleaned from other sources and isn't necessarily correct.
That's only because the hack originally happened in april, so a lot of information won't be current. A lot is still useful. Background check companies also get info from various sources, so that's not unusual either

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
That's only because the hack originally happened in april, so a lot of information won't be current. A lot is still useful. Background check companies also get info from various sources, so that's not unusual either
No I mean the article I read the data isn't necessarily accurate.

Haint

The credit bureau themself, Experion or whoever, already leaked this shit on billions of people a few years ago. Why is this news, thieves and hackers already have this information on you.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I don’t even know why we bother protecting our stuff anymore. A new system is gonna need to be created for identifying yourself.

I keep my credit frozen and just unfreeze it when I need to.

Shocking it was a person with a weeb avatar
Seriously, we're beyond the point where it's possible to keep sensitive data private. We need to be focusing more effort on preventing the use of the data once it's stolen so that it's not valuable. Systems that corporations and governments use to verify identity are terribly insufficient.

I found I wasn’t in it, thankfully. My Mom and her husband are, though. I had them setup new passwords and 2fa on everything and freeze their credit files from all 3 bureaus. We’re bracing for the inevitable. Oh, while I was not in it, my dead Father was. Also the 3 billion people is fucking stupid misreporting. Probably several hundred million, if I had to guess, there are multiple instances for single individuals. So the numbers being reported as 3 billion people is laughable.

Quasicat

I just did a search to see what stuff of mine is online. Turns out you can get a lot more info on people searching a phone number than a person's name, but I suppose that's not much different than phonebooks used to be 🤷‍♂️ However my address isn't current. As for socials, I already assumed that's gone with the equifax breach a while back.

I'll be freezing my transunion and equifax later, if I can even access them. Last time I tried I couldn't verify. Seems most businesses use experian these days though
Yeah…for me it was Anthem. My district had them as an insurance carrier for one year and my stuff leaked out all over the internet. At least my wife and kids numbers were safe from that one...but it’s probably happened through other leaks.

Top Bottom