• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Game of the Year Media Picks Thread: Updated 1/4

Curufinwe

Guevara said:
I played a little Bayonetta and it came across as nothing special and had an annoying story. I'm sure fans of the genre will be able to see what made it great, I and most reviewers cannot.

Bayonetta on the 360 has a average score of 90 with only 3 review scores below 80, so most reviewers did see what made it great.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/bayonetta/critic-reviews

You are not like most reviewers in this case, so don't falsely claim that you are to try and justify your opinion.

butsomuch

Gamasutra's Best Of 2010: The Top 10 Games Of The Year
10. Civilization V (Firaxis, PC)
9. Mass Effect 2 (BioWare, Xbox 360/PS3/PC)
8. Minecraft (Notch, PC)
7. Fallout: New Vegas (Obsidian, Xbox 360/PS3/PC)
6. Rock Band 3 (Harmonix / MTV Games)
5. StarCraft II (Blizzard Entertainment, PC)
4. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Nintendo, Wii)
3. Bayonetta (Platinum Games, Xbox 360/PS3)
2. Super Meat Boy (Team Meat, XBLA, PC, Mac, eventually WiiWare)
1. Red Dead Redemption (Rockstar San Diego/North, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3)

Staff Picks

Simon Carless, Global Brand Director, UBM TechWeb Game Network:
Pinball FX 2 (Zen Studios, XBLA)
Joe Danger (Hello Games, PSN)
Chime (Zoe Mode, Xbox Live Arcade/PC

Brandon Sheffield, Editor-in-Chief, Game Developer Magazine:
Deadly Premonition (Access Games, Xbox 360/PS3)
Super Street Fighter IV (Capcom, Xbox 360/PS3)
Kinectimals (Frontier Developments, Xbox 360 Kinect)

Leigh Alexander, News Director, Gamasutra:
Halo: Reach (Bungie, Xbox 360)
BioShock 2 (2K, Xbox 360/PS3)
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (MercurySteam, Xbox 360/PS3)

Christian Nutt, Features Director, Gamasutra:
Heavy Rain (Quantic Dream, PS3)
Nier (Square Enix, Xbox 360/PS3)
Kirby's Epic Yarn (Nintendo, Wii)

Kris Graft, Senior News Editor, Gamasutra
No More Heroes 2 (Grasshopper Manufacture, Wii)
Amnesia: The Dark Descent (Frictional Games, PC)
Call of Duty: Black Ops (Treyarch, Xbox 360/PS3/PC/Wii)

Simon Parkin, European Editor, Gamasutra:
Just Cause 2 (Avalanche Studios, Xbox 360/PS3/PC)
Dragon Quest IX (Square Enix, NDS)
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (Criterion Games, Xbox 360, PS3)

Kyle Orland, Contributing News Editor, Gamasutra:
Monday Night Combat (Uber Entertainment, XBLA)
Dance Central (Harmonix, Xbox 360 Kinect)
Limbo (Playdead, XBLA)

Tom Curtis, Editorial and Production Intern, Gamasutra and Game Developer Magazine:
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: The Game (Ubisoft Montreal, XBLA/PSN)
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (Ubisoft Montreal, Xbox 360/PS3)
Puzzle Agent (Telltale, Wii Ware/iOS, PC)

Gamespot's Game of the Year: Red Dead Redemption
It's hard to argue with a game as accomplished as Red Dead Redemption. This is a game with a lot of things going for it--a complete package that offers excellent gameplay, stirring music, memorable characters expertly given life with superb voice acting, and an enthralling story taken from the pages of classic Western films. Red Dead Redemption is GameSpot's 2010 Game of the Year.
http://www.gamespot.com/best-of-2010/game-of-the-year/index.html?tag=topslot;img;1

apana said:
Does that count as a media pick? The site is owned by gametrailers and they have yet to reveal their pick, this is based on votes of the people in the gametrailers forum right?

ScrewAttack was a reader vote, not a media pick. Thanks for still posting it though, Conflict NZ.

mujun

Ratrat said:
RDR is a million times better than GTAIV.

I don't get the RDR love at all. Tried picking up Undead Nightmare after ditching the full game when I got to the train mission and couldn't even get more than a few hours into it.

AniHawk

Undead Nightmare wound up being pretty bland. First two hours are cool, and then it becomes super repetitive. The full game is kinda the same way, and really drags at the end. But I did like what I played.

Dabanton

mujun said:
I don't get the RDR love at all. Tried picking up Undead Nightmare after ditching the full game when I got to the train mission and couldn't even get more than a few hours into it.

RDR is much like the game in your avatar. If your not in the mood to sink into the game explore the world and go off on side missions and ambient challenges and instead try and rush everywhere to complete it as quickly as possible it will seem a lacking experience.

Durante

Lard said:
Anyone that doesn't pick SMT Strange Journey should be fired, then drawn and quartered.
I found Strange Journey very disappointing. The battle system didn't live up to SMT standards, and the story/setting wasn't all that either.

mujun

Dabanton said:
RDR is much like the game in your avatar. If your not in the mood to sink into the game explore the world and go off on side missions and ambient challenges and instead try and rush everywhere to complete it as quickly as possible it will seem a lacking experience.

Not for me. I'm 200 hours in to NV on my 4th play through. There are lots of little differences between the two that really bugged me in the case of RDR.

Majmun

Ratrat said:
RDR is a million times better than GTAIV.

No.

GTAIV is better. I could actually beat GTAIV. RDR is GTA with a Western setting. The mission structure is basically the same. But instead of cars you ride horses. (yawn)

To each its own I guess, but RDR is definitely the most overrated game of this year. It's GTA4 all over again when it comes to hype.

Danielsan

Second said:
No.

GTAIV is better. I could actually beat GTAIV. RDR is GTA with a Western setting. The mission structure is basically the same. But instead of cars you ride horses. (yawn)

To each its own I guess, but RDR is definitely the most overrated game of this year. It's GTA4 all over again when it comes to hype.
Both games suffer from repetitive mission structures and crumbling story lines. However at least Read Dead Redemption redeems itself at the end
when you are reunited with your wife and jack
. Red Dead also has a far more interesting and beautiful world to explore. However I absolutely fucking hate the Mexico section in the game, it made me stop playing the game. Glad I picked it back up again later though, the ending is worth it. I still consider GTAIV a piece of shit.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I enjoyed RDR but it has to be one of the most over rated games in a long time.

Xater

Ikuu said:

The same was said about GTA4. I am sure RDR will also win GOTY here on GAF and then what? It's an amazing game and I can absolutely not think of anything else that was better this year. 2010 was overall pretty disappointing. Lots of good games but not enough that was amazing.

Danielsan

Xater said:
The same was said about GTA4. I am sure RDR will also win GOTY here on GAF and then what? It's an amazing game and I can absolutely not think of anything else that was better this year. 2010 was overall pretty disappointing. Lots of good games but not enough that was amazing.
2010 was a shit year in my opinion. Red Dead was good, great at times, but no personal GOTY material. Mass Effect 2 was pretty awesome, except the story went nowhere and you know, Terminator... I really loved Heavy Rain, but it's kinda a one time playthrough deal and has its fare share of issues. I'd probably give it to Super Meat Boy, Limbo or Mass Effect 2 this year. Nothing comes close to last year's Uncharted 2 though. Which really felt like GOTY material without a shadow of doubt.

I'm currently trying to make my way through Bayonetta (360) again but I just can't fully love it. I don't like it stylistically and some of its less conventional gameplay segments aren't doing it for me.

apana

Is the winner of the spike vga on here? I'm not sure if that was a public vote or picked by the media. I had thought that only the nominees were picked by the media but the winner was based on public vote. I can't remember if it was Red Dead or Call of Duty that won the award.

mokeyjoe

Can't argue with any of those picks, I can't really choose between RDR, SMG2, Bayonetta and ME2 either, they're all amazing games.

The only game I thought would be up there that I really didn't like much is God of War 3. It just felt too clunky after Bayonetta, but it doesn't seem to have made much of an impact in GOTY choices anyway.

Kittonwy

Banned
Ikuu said:

Overrated or not it's hands-down the best game in 2011, there are plenty of games this year that are way more overrated than RDR, RDR has earned its accolades through its gameplay variety, characters and story, art and tech, and sheer amount of content.

DR2K

Banned
Red Dead Redemption - 11
Super Mario Galaxy 2 - 5
Mass Effect 2 - 4
Alan Wake - 1
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood - 1
Bayonetta - 1
BioShock 2 - 1
Minecraft - 1

How sad. . .

While RDR is definitely a worthy choice for Game of the Year, in the back of my mind, I can't stop remembering how Rockstar would bully media outlets for more coverage by insisting that RDR will be Game of the Year.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Wow, surprised to see the amount of praise for RDR. Especially since Nobody gave a shit about the first one.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Oblivion said:
Wow, surprised to see the amount of praise for RDR. Especially since Nobody gave a shit about the first one.

The original was a mostly-Capcom-developed bag of shit.

BiggNife

I'm confused as to why so many people are incredulous at Bayonetta being a GOTY contender. It's seriously one of the best action games I've played in years. Personally my GOTY is ME2, but Bayonetta comes at a very close second.

I couldn't get into RDR, but then again me and Rockstar games just don't seem to mix. I can definitely see why so many people enjoyed it, though.

But Bioshock 2? GOTY? Really?

It was far from terrible, but there were so many more memorable games this year.

Nintendo-4Life said:
is RDR really worth all this praise? Should I pick it up if I didn't enjoy GTA4 that much?

I didn't care for GTA4, but after hearing all of the hype for RDR I gave it a shot. I ended up not really enjoying it either. Take that as you will.

AniHawk

Opiate said:
The focus continues to be on single player, story focused games, primarily on home consoles.

and developed by western studios.

2007: Bioshock
2008: GTA IV
2009: Uncharted 2
2010: RDR

At least the two recent ones deserve praise. Can't think of what it was for 2006. Gears? Twilight Princess? Those kinda break the mold. I'm sure next year it'll be Beyond Good & Evil 2 or Half-Life 2: Episode 3.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Yeah, 2006 was pretty much an even split between Gears and Zelda.

I find it interesting that the Spike TV VGA's have become a very strong predictor of the overall media winner. Outside of its first Madden "hiccup" in 2003, they've been fairly close to the consensus answer and have nailed it for the last 4 years now.

Crossing my fingers that Call of Duty:Black Ops stays off the OP.

I wonder how they will do their annual "Game of the Year" edition.

I suppose some fansite can always be paid and then never mentioned on the box. :lol

Top Bottom