• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 Major League Soccer |OT| THIS LEAGUE IS RELEVANT!

Looks like Orlando is getting closer to supporting a soccer-specific venue with the expectation of elevating the USL Orlando City soccer club to MLS. They currently play in a 70,000 seat, 80 year old football stadium at the Citrus Bowl.

I think this could be good if Orlando is able to get a soccer venue built with a good likelihood of having people support the team. Orlando City already is visible throughout the city through businesses and marketing and they have a good core of dedicated fans.

And given that Orlando will not likely ever have an NFL, MLB or NHL franchise, it could be a good opportunity to grow a soccer fanbase in the city. Doesn't hurt that the city attracts tons of tourist to the area around the world that might be receptive to seeing soccer games or at least have a passing interest. Orlando would have NBA, MLS and the local university as the major sports attractions.

Orlando City Stadium Possibility

Hieberrr

Looks like Orlando is getting closer to supporting a soccer-specific venue with the expectation of elevating the USL Orlando City soccer club to MLS. They currently play in a 70,000, 80 year old football stadium at the Citrus Bowl.

I think this could be good if Orlando is able to get a soccer venue built with a good likelihood of having people support the team. Orlando City already is visible throughout the city through businesses and marketing and they have a good core of dedicated fans.

And given that Orlando will not likely ever have an NFL, MLB or NHL franchise, it could be a good opportunity to grow a soccer fanbase in the city. Doesn't hurt that the city attracts tons of tourist to the area around the world that might be receptive to seeing soccer games or at least have a passing interest. Orlando would have NBA, MLS and the local university as the major sports attractions.

It's looking good for Orlando. I'm sure MLS wants teams to be "ready" with a stadium and all the logistics before they even talk about getting a team. Good stuff! I don't see Orlando getting another team until NY does though, and that would mean we'd have to see another team enter the league with Orlando to keep a balanced league.

Meier

Looks like Orlando is getting closer to supporting a soccer-specific venue with the expectation of elevating the USL Orlando City soccer club to MLS. They currently play in a 70,000, 80 year old football stadium at the Citrus Bowl.

Just came to post this as I saw it pop up on my Facebook feed. Amazing news! I don't follow the MLS at all currently but would absolutely do so once OCSC joins the league.

Just came to post this as I saw it pop up on my Facebook feed. Amazing news! I don't follow the MLS at all currently but would absolutely do so once OCSC joins the league.

I think that's where I'm at. I went to a couple OCSC games this past season because my roommate invited me and it was enjoyable.

Meier

I think that's where I'm at. I went to a couple OCSC games this past season because my roommate invited me and it was enjoyable.

Good stuff! Prior to moving to Orlando, they were the Austin Aztex. A new version of the team started up last year (a division lower) and I went to some of the games. The Aztex are semi-pro now though so of course the caliber of play was not great but live soccer is awesome. I know OCSC has great support as is and the team has done quite well the past 2 seasons. You should go to more games!

LandawgDew

Neo Member
Not sure if this is the proper place for this or not, but is anyone setting up a Gaf league for MLS fantasy manager again this season (2013)?

Osorio

Good to see that Donovan is coming back.

I still think he's wasted talent but he's one of the league's few American stars.

GRW810

Red Bulls signing draft picks Christianson, Bustamante. Glad because they look the most likely to make it, either this season or in the future.

http://www.bigapplesoccer.com/teams/redbulls2.php?article_id=32922

With that the roster is probably just about complete. Still hoping Ruthven signs for CB depth. Dominghes looks good too but he seems unlikely to join.

I hope we don't touch Luyundula, he's shown nothing since joining on trial. We're loaded in attacking options anyway with Henry, Espindola, Martinez, Moreno, Cahill, Juninho and Sam.

That Reo-Coker signing is great for Vancouver because seems to have rediscovered his drive. He has expressed determination in joining MLS, which is great to hear. He was first linked with us, and I would have been happy to have him.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
season is a week away

ixsO0MRW4zfsM.gif

When does the OT go up?

Shea and Kamara had big showings in the premiership today.

When is Direct Kick info for 2013 announced? Probably going to make the plunge.

Edit:Never mind they finally posted it. Interested in playing League Manager as well if someone does one for GAF.

Osorio

Our backline has looked shaky in the pre-season.

Apparently Petke doesn't think anyone's solidified a spot for themselves other than Olave.

And today he gave up a penalty in the 2nd minute.

Aw fuck.

Askani

Finally! Mission accomplished.

360 or so Supporter's Club tickets went on sale and I got in and nabbed two of them. I was afraid I was going to miss out. *whew* Such a load of stress off...

d7TBk.gif

Now I just need my Opening Day scarf to come in and I'm all set.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I created the fantasy league on mlssoccer.com. If anybody objects to classic instead of head to head let me know.

League name: mlsgaf2013

Code to join: 10596-1985

Osorio

Don't see us getting points in Portland. I have a feeling it'll take time for our lineup to gel.

I'd really like Petke to start off well though.

Osorio

Thinking about it just now, I haven't seen a single piece of Red Bulls advertisement yet this year. How do they expect to even be a blip in the market if nobody knows they're there?

3rd kit revealed

i like it...
3rdjersey.0_standard_730.0.jpg

Love the new Jerseys, hope my wife lets me buy one at the opener this weekend lol.

I'll be in the River End having a blast no matter!
Sons of Ben sent out flags, mugs, pins etc.. as supporters swag this year.

I got 3 packs for me the wife and kid. They even sent me 1 of each color flag luckily

Really nice, white background, yellow and blue (didnt take pic of blue). Flags are HUGE, like 6ft long by 3ft wide.

I really hope we have a good game, hope the season is better then last :/

I worry tho, I know Le Toux is a fan favorite but I kind of still question his scoring. The loss of Valdes kills me too, I trust in Parke but worry about Soumare...and to be honest, a part of me questions Hacks choices. He's better then Nowak for sure, but I wonder is he is the man to build a playoff caliber team.
All in all, I think we will do better then last year, but I have a feeling it might be like 2011 where we "creeped" into the playoffs.
No matter tho, win or lose I'll be their every game screaming for my boys in blue! (or black now lol)

Osorio

Odds to win MLS Cup

Los Angeles Galaxy +300
Sporting Kansas City +500
Seattle Sounders FC +600
New York Red Bulls +600
Houston Dynamo +700
San Jose Earthquakes +800
Real Salt Lake +800

Columbus Crew +2000
DC Scum +2000
Chicago Fire +2500
FC Dallas +2500
Colorado Rapids +2800

Vancouver Whitecaps +4000
Philadelphia Union +4000
Portland Timbers +4000

Toronto FC +7500
Montreal Impact +7500
Chivas USA +7500
New England Revolution +7500

This is from TopBet. Europeans seem to have lots of faith in Thierry Henry or something.

Blue Lou

Are you guys following the CONCACAF U20 Championship at all?

USA are to take on the might of Cuba tomorrow
Mexico will meet El Salvador

Odds to win MLS Cup

Los Angeles Galaxy +300
Sporting Kansas City +500
Seattle Sounders FC +600
New York Red Bulls +600
Houston Dynamo +700
San Jose Earthquakes +800
Real Salt Lake +800

Columbus Crew +2000
DC Scum +2000
Chicago Fire +2500
FC Dallas +2500
Colorado Rapids +2800

Vancouver Whitecaps +4000
Philadelphia Union +4000
Portland Timbers +4000

Toronto FC +7500
Montreal Impact +7500
Chivas USA +7500
New England Revolution +7500

This is from TopBet. Europeans seem to have lots of faith in Thierry Henry or something.

I'll take San Jose at those odds

EDIT: new avatar for new season hype!

Top Bottom