• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 NHL Playoffs |OT2| Ovi guaranteed a good thread title

If Wisniewski comes in, it would mess up the pairings that were the most successful.

Lindholm Beauchemin
Despres Fowler
Stoner Vatanen

Top pairing is too good and second pairing is also fairly solid. Take out Stoner and Wiz + Vatman looks defensively weak.

Maybe best to go with
Lindholm Beauch
Wiz Fowler
Despres Vatanen

To even it out a bit

Calamari41

41 > 38
If Wisniewski comes in, it would mess up the pairings that were the most successful.

Lindholm Beauchemin
Despres Fowler
Stoner Vatanen

Top pairing is too good and second pairing is also fairly solid. Take out Stoner and Wiz + Vatman looks defensively weak.

Maybe best to go with
Lindholm Beauch
Wiz Fowler
Despres Vatanen

To even it out a bit

Exactly, and I really don't think it's worth blowing up a defense that has actually been very good in reaction to someone taking a dumb penalty.

Chicago's only even strength goal in both games which didn't take place in a third OT came off of a Beauch turnover.

Foggy

Ducks clearly don't have the guts to win it all. Gaborik and Carter led the Kings to the promised land after getting traded. Wiz will lead you to the land of milk and honey.

cyber_ninja

Kruger made Ducks pay for that nasty hit on him earlier in the game.

CU8ARwv.jpg

Calamari41

41 > 38
I can't imagine how tired all of those fuckers are going to be this morning when they eventually wake up.

I still can't believe all those OT posts hit.

Giggzy

Sooooo tired.

I still fancy taking a game or two in Chicago throughout the series, so I'm not too bummed. It was a great game to watch.

We need to be more disciplined and stop taking stupid penalties. Stoner had some dumb plays last night. I don't think I'd drop him yet, but if we lose game 3 and don't bag a PP goal, then bring in the Wiz.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Sooooo tired.

I still fancy taking a game or two in Chicago throughout the series, so I'm not too bummed. It was a great game to watch.

We need to be more disciplined and stop taking stupid penalties. Stoner had some dumb plays last night. I don't think I'd drop him yet, but if we lose game 3 and don't bag a PP goal, then bring in the Wiz.

It was a horrible way to lose, but we definitely outplayed them after the first half of the first period all the way to the end of the third OT. I'm optimistic about the series, especially since they're essentially rolling with four defensemen. That situation isn't going to get any better as the games grind on, and especially if there are more OTs.

If Chicago is going to take the series, they're going to have to go HAM and keep it from going to game 6 and especially game 7.

Chicago outplayed Anaheim in game 1 and lost

Anaheim outplayed Chicago in game 2 and lost

Hockey in a nutshell

I'm sure there's some stat which proves me wrong, but watching the game, Chicago only outplayed us in the first period of game 1.

zroid

Banned
I'm sure there's some stat which proves me wrong, but watching the game, Chicago only outplayed us in the first period of game 1.

it wasn't a 60 minute shellacking or anything but Hawks were the better team over the full game. a lot of that was because of how dominant the 1st period was, it's true.

Calamari41

41 > 38
it wasn't a 60 minute shellacking or anything but Hawks were the better team over the full game. a lot of that was because of how dominant the 1st period was, it's true.

Oh I see what you're saying, the stats show Chicago having an edge over the whole game. My point was just that they didn't outplay us for the whole 60 minutes, just the first 20, so I guess we kind of agree but are just looking at it differently. They definitely outplayed us in the first in a much bigger way than we outplayed them for the rest of the game.

Giggzy

It was a horrible way to lose, but we definitely outplayed them after the first half of the first period all the way to the end of the third OT. I'm optimistic about the series, especially since they're essentially rolling with four defensemen. That situation isn't going to get any better as the games grind on, and especially if there are more OTs.

If Chicago is going to take the series, they're going to have to go HAM and keep it from going to game 6 and especially game 7.

Yeah I'm not sure how one determines who outplayed who (stats I assume), but from my eyes, the ducks have looked the better team from the second period on in both games. However, my eyes are tinted orange, so I could be wrong.

I've actually been surprised by Chicagos lack of, tenacity? Not sure that's the word I'm looking for, but I don't feel threatened... Stupid thing to say after the series is 1-1, but it's the truth! We've done a great job at locking down their talent, and I'll take our depth over theirs any day of the week.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Yeah I'm not sure how one determines who outplayed who (stats I assume), but from my eyes, the ducks have looked the better team from the second period on in both games. However, my eyes are tinted orange, so I could be wrong.

I've actually been surprised by Chicagos lack of, tenacity? Not sure that's the word I'm looking for, but I don't feel threatened... Stupid thing to say after the series is 1-1, but it's the truth! We've done a great job at locking down their talent, and I'll take our depth over theirs any day of the week.

I agree, but to be fair, Andersen has kept some highlight reel goals from going in. If he were playing just ok or good rather than lights out, everyone including us would be talking about how unstoppable the Hawks are.

billeh

Of course there is.

The Hawks were ahead in Corsi in every period of game 1. The second period was the closest the game was without the Hawks having a 20pt advantage in their favor. Puck luck just didn't seem to be on their side. Plus Rundblad. Game 2 wasn't exactly a reversal, but it was pretty close initially, and eventually led to a slim Ducks edge at the end. I'd post the graph, but 3OT basically broke it.

The Hawks fourth line was quietly working wonders against the Getzlaf line yesterday with Kruger being 15-14 in Corsi events (plus the GWG!). I expect the Hawks will do great things at home with line changes in their favor.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Of course there is.

The Hawks were ahead in Corsi in every period of game 1. The second period was the closest the game was without the Hawks having a 20pt advantage in their favor. Puck luck just didn't seem to be on their side. Plus Rundblad.

Game 2 wasn't exactly a reversal, but it was pretty close initially, and eventually led to a slim Ducks edge at the end. I'd post the graph, but 3OT basically broke it.

The Hawks fourth line was quietly working wonders against the Getzlaf line yesterday with Kruger being 15-14 in Corsi events. I expect the Hawks will do great things at home with line changes in their favor.

Interesting. I guess the reason I have a tough time bowing down to analytics is because whenever I see them posted, they seem to go against what I was perceiving on the ice and what was happening on the scoreboard. It seems like every time the analytics don't match up to the results, it's hand-waved off as "well yeah but it was all puck luck though." I mean, the Hawks two non-PP goals in the series were essentially "puck luck" events. Not that I'm taking anything away from them, as I don't use "omg it was just puck luck" as the crutch that some others seem to rely on as an excuse, but it's just interesting.

And I really don't think it's a case of my being a sunshine pumping homer, because I tend to get really over-the-top down on the Ducks when I perceive that they're being outplayed.

billeh

Interesting. I guess the reason I have a tough time bowing down to analytics is because whenever I see them posted, they seem to go against what I was perceiving on the ice and what was happening on the scoreboard. It seems like every time the analytics don't match up to the results, it's hand-waved off as "well yeah but it was all puck luck though." I mean, the Hawks two non-PP goals in the series were essentially "puck luck" events. Not that I'm taking anything away from them, as I don't use "omg it was just puck luck" as the crutch that some others seem to rely on as an excuse, but it's just interesting.
It's not really a tell all, but the stat denotes events that favor scoring: shot attempts, blocked shots, shots (of course). The way this series has been going though, it seems bodies in front of the net is the winning strategy which coincidentally, the Hawks didn't have much of in game 1. Basically, create conditions favorable to induce those 'puck luck' type events.

Calamari41

41 > 38
It's not really a tell all, but the stat denotes events that favor scoring: shot attempts, blocked shots, shots (of course). The way this series has been going though, it seems bodies in front of the net is the winning strategy which coincidentally, the Hawks didn't have much of in game 1. Basically, create conditions favorable to induce those 'puck luck' type events.

Yeah that's what I was going to say as well. In game 1, the Hawks had a ton of shots, but so many of them were from practically the blue line with nobody at the net, so they were just casually blocked away by Andersen. So to me, having a defense that caused them to not be able to get any "quality" shots off is part of the Ducks outplaying the Hawks, but it doesn't appear to be taken into account by some of the analytics and indeed appears to maybe have caused them to swing in the Hawks' favor? Correct me if I'm wrong, of course.

Giggzy

Yeah that's what I was going to say as well. In game 1, the Hawks had a ton of shots, but so many of them were from practically the blue line with nobody at the net, so they were just casually blocked away by Andersen. So to me, having a defense that caused them to not be able to get any "quality" shots off is part of the Ducks outplaying the Hawks, but it doesn't appear to be taken into account by some of the analytics and indeed appears to maybe have caused them to swing in the Hawks' favor? Correct me if I'm wrong, of course.

My thoughts exactly. Well said!

ShaneB

Was flicking back and forth between hockey and basketball while reading and eventually falling asleep. Would've been nice to watch the overtime. Ah well, both series should go to 7.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Was flicking back and forth between hockey and basketball while reading and eventually falling asleep. Would've been nice to watch the overtime. Ah well, both series should go to 7.

You would have been able to stay awake if you didn't try watching basketball

;)

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Amalie Arena-Good Luck Finding A Ticket Rangers Fans

Restricted Access

A questionable policy that the Lightning organization these playoffs has been enforcing a restricted ticket policy. In so many words, playoff tickets that are purchased must accompany a billing address in the state of Florida. Any other states need not apply. That means fans in New York will need to get sneaky in how they purchase tickets. In an article posted by ESPN last month, the Lightning are determined to limit the amount of the opposing team’s fans by limiting ticket sales to Florida residents.

Lightning Vice-President of Communications Bill Wickett says the team doesn’t “feel the need to apologize” for limiting the number of visiting team fans in the Amalie Arena.

You can’t wear that, here

If you were one of the few Rangers fans lucky enough to get playoff tickets for this Eastern Conference Final matchup, you’d still have another obstacle to overcome. Your team’s colors will not be permitted.

This should be clarified. It is not the intention of the organization to completely block out the arena to Rangers fans wearing the team’s colors. No, you can wear them anywhere except specified locations. Per amaliearena.com, they provide sections within the arena that prohibits wearing of non-Lightning colors or apparel.

What the hell, Lightning. Are these rules the norm for other NHL arenas?

zroid

Banned
I love how the finals could potentially either end up being essentially Bettman's wet dream (CHI-NYR) or worst nightmare (ANA-TB).

or something in between but never mind that.

Marvie_3

Banned
I love how the finals could potentially either end up being essentially Bettman's wet dream (CHI-NYR) or worst nightmare (ANA-TB).

or something in between but never mind that.

I would think FLA/PHX would be his worst nightmare. There would be like 6 people watching.

Top Bottom