• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016 Hobonichi Techo

Status
Not open for further replies.

kubus

I am seriouuuusly behind with my entries. I'm keeping a log on my phone recording the things I do everyday with the intent to turn them into daily entries in my planner but I'm already backlogged by more than a month.

I've stocked up on art supplies and tape though and I really do intent to fill in my planner... Just gotta find a good moment :p. And finding the courage to try my art supplies because I'm afraid I'm gonna ruin it with my watercolor brushes.

kiri

Got behind (I use it chronicle the weekends where I meet up with my girlfriend) but managed to catch up in the past couple of days - the Instax Mini 8 camera I bought is working like a charm.

All the other pages, I use the gridlines to create some nice NES/SNES pixel art!

If people are interested, I'll take some pics soon~

I have been doing well with it. I mainly write in it late at night to write about the events of the day, to remember and reflect on details. I only occasionally use it as a daily planner. And I mainly just use the daily pages, not the month (etc) pages at the front.

There was just one day that I forgot about, but I remembered halfway through the next day and filled in that page.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I bought the Rhodia pocket notebook. It is on its way.

neoxdonut

Got behind (I use it chronicle the weekends where I meet up with my girlfriend) but managed to catch up in the past couple of days - the Instax Mini 8 camera I bought is working like a charm.

All the other pages, I use the gridlines to create some nice NES/SNES pixel art!

If people are interested, I'll take some pics soon~

That sounds awesome!

neoxdonut

I need to start drawing on mine too! I've just been using mine for classes for reminders and just sticking ticket stubs to movies I've seen in it.

kubus

I'll share some pics of my Hobonichi entries soon :). Still gotta finish a few more and catch up to my backlog :x.

I'm kinda obsessed with collecting stationery and art supplies for use in my Hobonichi lately. I've been hoarding washi tape, got some cute stickers on the way from Japan and splurged on Japanese brushes and pens (mostly Kuretake Zig, Pilot Juice pens and some others) and I'm still hungry for more.

I'm going to London in a few days and plan to do a lot of shopping there. I was wondering if there are any UK gaffers here who know some shop recommendations for getting stationary and stuff like I just described? If they have stuff from Japan it's a huge plus :D. But just any place that sells pens, washi tape and/or stickers or stuff like that is OK too!

edit: Maybe I should add that I already have Paperchase and Artbox on the must-visit list :p

neoxdonut

Need to actually start drawing more.

LdRsLce.jpg

My entries have been looking pretty drab with just words so I recently started printing out wallet sized photos I take with my camera and phone and sticking them in there.

daegan

Very behind myself, but when I was in Japan a little bit ago I picked up the double-sided tape and stencil that fit inside the cover. Looking forward to spending some time working on it this weekend.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
I've started writing daily entries again, every morning at work. It really really helps to have a new pen you want to use more (my Lamy 2000 I bought myself to celebrate landing the new job!). As I mentioned in the fountain pen thread, we can only use ballpoints for our official stuff at work, because of the regulatory environment. I land a job where we write a ton by hand all day, but it has to be with freaking ballpoint pens. Unreal. Even rollerball pens are out because the ink smears.

On the bright side, I use my Hobonichi more now because it's a chance to use my beloved pens each day.

Just a quick heads up that both Jetpens and noe Goulet pens now offer their own notebooks with Tomoe River paper. The Goulet offerings come in multiple sizes, lined and even dot grid! You now have some choices of reasonably priced notebooks to complement your Hobonichi. It's very exciting!

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Tuesday's quote was so on point it wasn't even funny:
Shigesato Itoi said:
"When I kick back on a day off, I'm struck by a torrent of thoughts: vague ones, complicated ones, gluttonous ones. And since there's space in my heart to think of sad things, I end up feeling sadder than usual. I thinking feeling down and more lonely than usual on one's day off is natural, and probably a good thing."

I was in class tonight and the person sitting next to me saw my techo, sporting my Mother 2 Cast cover.

She asked what it was, so showed her. She was disappointed when she realized it was "just" a planner.

:(

Finally convinced myself to order one! Thanks for these threads, Bagels.

I'm liking its small size because it's highly portable, but that also means there isn't room to write much. Maybe I'll get a "Cousin" next year. The free pen that came with it is surprisingly nice. Writes super smoothly and seemingly finer than my other 0.5 pens. (Note to future self: it's a Uni Jetstream 3 Color 0.5 mm.)

Jimrpg

Are there any good diaries starting from June/July? Either half yearly or yearly would be fine.

Also when do the Hobonichi Techo planners come out (the 2017 one)? I'm interested in either the original english one or the A6 cousin.

tiijj

Are there any good diaries starting from June/July? Either half yearly or yearly would be fine.

Also when do the Hobonichi Techo planners come out (the 2017 one)? I'm interested in either the original english one or the A6 cousin.

It should be Sep 1.

There are Hobonichi Techo Avec diaries which are sold in pairs of six-monthly books, each pair being one January-June and the other July-December. Maybe you could find someone selling a July-December one by itself, or buy a pair. They are in the Japanese language only.
A6: https://www.1101.com/store/techo/2016/planner/detail_cover/c_avecr.html
A5: https://www.1101.com/store/techo/2016/planner/detail_cover/c_aveccr.html

Or maybe you could buy a 12-month Hobonichi that starts in April, which isn't that far off from June. Also Japanese-only.
https://www.1101.com/store/techo/2016/planner/detail_cover/sp_c_r.html

I think I ordered my book around September last year and got it in either September or October.

Jimrpg

Thanks so much, I'll look at those options. Though Sep is a lot earlier than I expected so I could possibly hold out for that.

Dunno if you're planning on starting a 2017 thread soon, Bagels, but:

They've been giving daily "sneak peeks" of new 2017 covers here, one per day last week and this week:

http://www.1101.com/store/techo/en/fun/2017yokoku_cover/index.html

Also, about a week ago, they announced a couple of new features and the release schedule here: http://www.1101.com/store/techo/2017/planner/articles/yokoku160729/

On the 19th they'll unveil the whole lineup.

Apparently there's going to be another Mother cover, and some more collaborations with Cacuma and other fashion designers that will undoubtedly be way too expensive for me.

ph5_1.jpg

BorkBork

Those Mother covers are making me broke. Plus I think I want a larger Cousin for next year, but they don't have the awesome covers :(

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I don't use my cover anymore. It makes the notebook much bigger than I'd like.

"By the way, this year’s MOTHER 2 covers will also feature an all-new special bonus."

Was there a bonus with the previous Mother covers?
I'm a fan of all Bagel's threads and this has actually got me to use my techo on a daily basis.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Dunno if you're planning on starting a 2017 thread soon, Bagels, but:

They've been giving daily "sneak peeks" of new 2017 covers here, one per day last week and this week:

http://www.1101.com/store/techo/en/fun/2017yokoku_cover/index.html

Also, about a week ago, they announced a couple of new features and the release schedule here: http://www.1101.com/store/techo/2017/planner/articles/yokoku160729/

On the 19th they'll unveil the whole lineup.

Apparently there's going to be another Mother cover, and some more collaborations with Cacuma and other fashion designers that will undoubtedly be way too expensive for me.

ph5_1.jpg

I saw the sneak peeks! I'm excited to see what we'll get next year. The English language offerings keep expanding.

I guess it's time to start working on a new thread!

I don't use my cover anymore. It makes the notebook much bigger than I'd like.

This is madness.

"By the way, this year’s MOTHER 2 covers will also feature an all-new special bonus."

Was there a bonus with the previous Mother covers?
I'm a fan of all Bagel's threads and this has actually got me to use my techo on a daily basis.

Hey, thanks! I love making them!

I'm still using my techo almost every day. It's great for encouraging brief, daily entries on what I am up to. I'm still thinking I'll go back to the Cousin next year. I miss the extra space for daily calligraphy practice.

Betty

Banned
Three mother 2 cover's to choose from?

Can't wait, hopefully they're half as good as the cast one and not as bland as the Mr Saturn one.

Picked up my first Midori Traveler's Notebook. I really love it so far. It smells so goddamn good! Although, from the pictures I've seen of how people use it, it always looks really fat and filled to the brim. Do people usually stick more than one refill inside? I'm coming from a Baron Fig notebook so it's been a night and day difference in terms of quality of paper.

BorkBork

Kind of disappointed at the Mother covers this year - don't like the logo one and would prefer the other to be one area instead of a collage. Hmm..

Is there more information on the "mini butter toast plate" that comes as a bonus for buying the cover and book together?

I like the Girl's Checkered cover. I might get that one or Memories. I just have the black Colors one this year, which they don't have again for 2017. Not that I would buy it again rather than keep using it.

BorkBork

The Safaris are CLASSY. Torn between a Cousin or a normal one. I like the idea of more space, but will I use it? Hmmmm.

Bboy AJ

I still love my cover from last year. Japan exclusive and all, it's clearly the best. But the cover makes the notebook so much bigger that I stopped using it.

I kind of like this silver one. It's textured black leather with silver foil rubbed in and then lightly sanded back off on the high parts. And it's one of the cheaper ones.

slide_01.jpg

Nezumi

Once the store goes up again with the new books will there be the possibility to still buy covers from the 2016 edition? I really like the green-blue one from last year.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Once the store goes up again with the new books will there be the possibility to still buy covers from the 2016 edition? I really like the green-blue one from last year.

Unfortunately not. They archive each year's storefront once they close down to prepare for the annual refresh, so any covers that you didn't buy before then can only be bought second-hand.

Nezumi

Unfortunately not. They archive each year's storefront once they close down to prepare for the annual refresh, so any covers that you didn't buy before then can only be bought second-hand.

:( That's a bit sad. I guess it's the Mother 2 cover then because I really don't like any of the color combinations in the new line up. I kind of like the green inside of the black one but black itself is rather dull. Hmm, decisions...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom