• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

25 years ago today : Metallica's Black Album is released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like a few tracks on the album and it was a monster success, but it is shit compared to Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets.

Megadeth released the best metal album of the 90's the year before with Rust in Peace.

I love Rust in Peace but it doesn't touch anything Death put out in the 90s, even The Sound of Perseverance.

Too many good metal bands in the 90s to pick a best one IMO. Lots of small bands picked up the slack that the big ones ended up dropping the ball on.

Livingskeletons

If I pulled that off, would you die?
An excellent release. I was just listening to Wherever I May Roam yesterday, which is my favourite from this album.

Here's my controversial opinion: St Anger is better than Kill 'Em All!

Jesus.

Speaking of which how long has it been since TICK TICK TICK?

bender

What time is it?
I always group the Black album and Countdown to Extinction together in my head. I wonder how that album will be remembered.

edit: Through the Never is consensus wort song on the Black album?

Kaladin

This re-surfaced today in Rolling Stone:

"We realized that the general consensus was that songs were too fucking long," lead guitarist Kirk Hammett told Rolling Stone in 1991. "Everyone [in the crowd] would have these long faces, and I'd think, 'Goddamn, they're not enjoying it as much as we are.'" Hammett acknowledged that the band was becoming bored with the songs' intricate arrangements, as well. "I remember getting offstage one night after playing 'Justice' and one of us saying, 'Fuck, that's the last time we ever play that fucking song!'"

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/metallicas-black-album-10-things-you-didnt-know-w433976

Fans hate long songs...band makes shorter songs, fans hate shorter songs and long for a return to older material

I remember my brother going to the local record store to get the Black Album and when he got home he told me that the store had Mr. Bungle's album on the shelves a day early. So I went and picked that up.

Flakster99

How time flies. Excellent album.

"My Friend of Misery" is still one of the most underrated songs ever. Such a great song, in a fantastic album

Yup, and to this day, it is still one of my favorite songs on the album. I think I'll give it a listen right now. :)

I got into Metallica like 7 or 8 years ago and I was listening to the CD's in order enjoying them immensely. I reach the black album and I'm like ok this is much slower than and justice for all (better produced though lol) but enter sandman is one of my fave songs ever so it's fine in my book. Then I get to load and everything fucking screeches to a halt. I still haven't finished listening to that fucking garbo CD

I refuse to listen to re-load, st. anger is whatever, prolly has James Hetfield's best singing though

death magnetic is eh

Livingskeletons

I love Rust in Peace but it doesn't touch anything Death put out in the 90s, even The Sound of Perseverance.

Too many good metal bands in the 90s to pick a best one IMO. Lots of small bands picked up the slack that the big ones ended up dropping the ball on.

Yeah it was a gold mine of creativity.

Death Metal coming into its own, Black Metal, an of course the Alt Metal scene.

Fluvian

Banned
It's a good album but it was certainly a step away from the flash metal epic ballads I loved in the first four albums. Honestly where do you go after Justice for all? that album is such a fucking masterpiece, they probably struggled for ages and said "fuck it we made four astounding albums, lets make some money now" If that was the case I can hardly blame them.

Livingskeletons

I got into Metallica like 7 or 8 years ago and I was listening to the CD's in order enjoying them immensely. I reach the black album and I'm like ok this is much slower than and justice for all (better produced though lol) but enter sandman is one of my fave songs ever so it's fine in my book. Then I get to load and everything fucking screeches to a halt. I still haven't finished listening to that fucking garbo CD

I refuse to listen to re-load, st. anger is whatever, prolly has James Hetfield's best singing though

death magnetic is eh

Hetfield's best vocals are on Justice by far:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw67-SaUA5I

Randam

How became that album so big?

What was the general reception back then?

Did it have to do with nothing else matters?

They were already a massively popular band. Everyone I have talked to about it who was into them before it came out say it felt like it was building, like everyone saw it coming like a ticking time bomb. Enter Sandman hit and was beyond massive. Then the hits just kept on coming; Sad But True, Unforgiven, Wherever I May Roam, and Nothing Else Matters. They all just kept the train rolling until we wound up with the best selling album of the soundscan era.

Very true

Megadeth is all around better than Metallica imo, they
he
is still releasing good albums to this day
Yeah but they also made Risk and Super collider.
But Dystopia I'd say is one of their top 5 musically.
In no particular order:
Rust in peace
Killing is my business
Dystopia
Youthanasia
Cryptic Writings
Are Megadeths best imo, I know people praise Countdown to Extinction and while it's got some good songs I think it's a pretty boring follow-up to Rust in Peace and doesn't bring anything new to the table in terms of their sound whereas I feel like all of the above do.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
the day that Metallica died /elitist fans
It's true, though.

The epitome of banal, soulless, commercial mediocrity. "The beginning of the end" is the perfect summary; it wasn't their worst, and there was still hope for them, so to speak (that hope got dashed and obliterated when Load came out haha, then we knew it was over xD).

Metallica was already pretty popular, but now they had produced a metal album that was radio-friendly enough with juuust a bit of an edge, just safe and palatable enough for the general public, and with just the right amount of marketing and music videos (at least two of which were for the ballads, of course).

Livingskeletons

Yeah but they also made Risk and Super collider.
But Dystopia I'd say is one of their top 5 musically.
In no particular order:
Rust in peace
Killing is my business
Dystopia
Youthanasia
Cryptic Writings
Are Megadeths best imo, I know people praise Countdown to Extinction and while it's got some good songs I think it's a pretty boring follow-up to Rust in Peace and doesn't bring anything new to the table in terms of their sound whereas I feel like all of the above do.

Nice to see some love for Youthanasia. Cool album.

Your list is missing Peace Sells ...But Who's Buying though :p.

Razorback

I remember the day I started caring about music. It was the day my brother gave me a bootleg cassette with this album on it.

Unforgiven was my favorite track then and continues to be my favorite Metallica song now.

BunnyBear

Probably my least favourite of their work to that point but it was still fucking incredible.

These boys still have it. Saw them live two years ago and it fucking went off!

YuShtink

Their earlier stuff is definitely better but Enter Sandman is what first got me into Metallica back when I was about 6 or 7 years old iirc so I of course have a soft spot for it. Still has a couple bad ass tracks.

SeanC

Probably the second or third CD I bought when it came out and second Metallica album I bought (had And Justice for All on cassette). Not my favorite Metallica but it's not a bad album by any means. All their stuff up to that point is just great and I still listen to regularly.

The production on their stuff is insane, and I actually like when they have slower songs that develop into the harder thrash stuff.

ascii42

I know it's tracks from other albums, but S&M is by far their best album. That shit is sick to this day.

I like it, but I wish there was a studio album version of it. At least for some songs. Like, the S&M version of One is probably my favorite Metallica song. And it's awesome hearing the crowd shout "the memory remains." But I hate listening to Master of Puppets and hearing "End of passion play, crumbling a way. brrrr brrrr brrr brr brr br bbbrrr brrrrrr."

James Hetfield's random acts of profanity are amusing, though.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

Nothing Else Matters didn't get released as a single until a year after the album came out.

They were selling out multiple nights back to back at arenas without an opening act before that song hit.

Xion385

Nothing Else Matters is a great track and probably the best track on the album.

I have no shame and don't regret anything.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
My gateway to what is now my favorite band.

Still a good album IMO, just not MoP. But what is?

Yeah, me too--not quite my favourite band, but it was my gateway and I do love Metallica! Bought Black Album on cassette in '92 and from there got Ride the Lightning, Kill 'Em All, and Master of Puppets. Was very excited for Load which was the first album I got at release but ended up finding it pretty disappointed.

... later, I skipped school for the St. Anger launch. Err...

An excellent release. I was just listening to Wherever I May Roam yesterday, which is my favourite from this album.

Here's my controversial opinion: St Anger is better than Kill 'Em All!

Fuck it all, and no regrets!

DiscoJer

To me it's like the Ministry album Psalm 69. By changing their sound it brought them huge commercial success and lots of MTV airplay, but something was lost. Still, it gave people a new appreciation of their older work.

robertoci

I love it for what it is, just a straight forward Heavy Metal album with some great riffs and some of their best songs, sure people might feel indifferent or even hate the album but I believe it was a good gateway into heavy music for many people including myself.

Kingbrave

I was 12 when it came out. My first single I ever bought was Enter Sandman.

It was the first time I'd ever heard anything of it's type. Blew me away. All I'd really listened to up to that point were Def Leppard and AC/DC and classic rock and then bam.

Enter Sandman was the song that got me started playing guitar and I've never looked back.
I love this album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6biUKaFD7AE&index=9&list=PL2F267239E86E1FFC

Is my favorite for now only because it's what I'm playing on bass. I just love when everything kicks in at the beginning...

My introduction to Metallica. I came to appreciate the 80s albums more, but I still think Enter Sandman is an all time great hard rock song. Definitely top three with Crazy Train and something else I'm forgetting.

I had forgotten how much I love that song until I watched a clip of Sandman entering to that song from ECW One Night Stand and heard the crowd sing it. So fucking good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom