• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

25 years ago today : Metallica's Black Album is released

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lomax

Say what you want about the albums after, it's a great album, well made, with some very memorable riffs. It well deserved the success it has had. The fact that it had so much success even as metal was dying and grunge was taking over speaks volumes.

Kaji AF16

Not Metallica´s best album (after two decades and a half listening to them, I still can´t decide between Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets and And Justice for All...), but incredibly influential and era-defining. It change the lives of many kids from my generation (born in ´82).

I do not agree with Homer Simpson: the rock I prefer attained perfection not in 1974, but in 1991 (Metallica´s Black Album, Pearl Jam´s Ten, Nirvana´s Nevermind, Hermética´s Ácido Argentino, Motörhead´s 1916, Use Your Illusion 1&2 from Guns ´n Roses, Sepultura´s Arise... Megadeth was in a masterpiece period and Pantera was finishing its transformation into the beast we know).

ascii42

Unforgiven still gives me chills sometimes. Has a great melody.

Unforgiven is an all around great song I think. The solo isn't as good as it probably could be, but it's fine. I'd say Unforgiven III is the only one in the trilogy with a great solo, but otherwise musically it's great. Also, although James Hetfield isn't the greatest lyricist, he does the job for the most part and his voice carries the songs enough that I'm generally alright with whatever he's snarling, but I think Unforgiven is one of his better works

Amazing album. The production values are insane. I've never heard drums sound that good before.

Which is funny, because the production values are terrible on the more recent Metallica albums.

Cyan

Banned
Yeah, me too--not quite my favourite band, but it was my gateway and I do love Metallica! Bought Black Album on cassette in '92 and from there got Ride the Lightning, Kill 'Em All, and Master of Puppets. Was very excited for Load which was the first album I got at release but ended up finding it pretty disappointed.

... later, I skipped school for the St. Anger launch. Err...

Hey me too.

Except for St. Anger lol I knew better by then.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
How became that album so big?

Some people will say Enter Sandman, but before Enter Sandman Metallica's first music video (One from ...And Justice For All) was a Hot Top 40 hit in 1989 thanks to heavy MTV play and great sales. The 7 1/2 minute epic may have been a surprise top 40 hit, but once Metallica was that big a name there was no stopping a more commercial album. Heavy songs don't have a chance at the Top 40 at the moment but it was a different ballgame when "the black album" was releasing.

F!ReW!Re

Another "controversial opinion": I like the version with the orchestra of "Nothing else matters" more than the original song.

NEO0MJ

The last great Metallica album.It's crazy how much Hetfield's voice changed after the operation. He started to sound more like a country singer :p

The last great Metallica album.It's crazy how much Hetfield's voice changed after the operation. He started to sound more like a country singer :p
Don't think that was the operation. Pretty sure that was of his own volition. He asked for help mimicking a certain artist on Black Album and then it only went further.

NEO0MJ

Don't think that was the operation. Pretty sure that was of his own volition. He asked for help mimicking a certain artist on Black Album and then it only went further.

Really? Didn't know that. I thought it was because he couldn't do his old voice well anymore and decided to go in another direction.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/james-hetfield-sing-like-chris-isaak/
This was making rounds a year ago.
Chris Isaak is known for rockabilly music from what Wikipedia tells me.

That's true but it's only partially so. He still used some of his old voice on the black album.

By 1993 after 2 full years of constant stadium touring he was struggling with certain songs.

MetallicA - Sad But True (live in Moscow 1991) AUDIO UPGRADE - This was so fucking good

Metallica Sad But True Live Mexico City 1993

You can really hear the strain in the latter and he was having trouble with the later high notes. He was done with trying to match his original roar entirely after 1995. It's fine, people age, and James Hetfield's gone through a lot of voices, but trying to mimic Chris Isaak is only part of the story. He just couldn't roar like the 80's anymore.

Another "controversial opinion": I like the version with the orchestra of "Nothing else matters" more than the original song.

Outlaw Torn and Bleeding Me are absolutely better on S&M than the studio version. For Nothing, I still absolutely love the elevator version. Link, in case you've never heard it. It's a studio version with the symphony and mostly just acoustic guitars from the Black Album sessions.

Think this was the first or second album I ever got. The other one being GnR's Spaghetti Incidident. Not too bad considering I wasn't even ten years old.

Listening to some of these songs takes me back. Waaaay back. Great album.

bebop242

This album reminds me if a friend in high school that drove me to school for a year and he listened to 3 cassette tapes the whole year. This one, an Elvis one, and Gwar's Scumdogs of the Universe.

Jedi2016

This is one of those albums that I keep losing because I take it everywhere. At one point, I think I had three empty jewel cases and zero CDs.

BunnyBear

That's true but it's only partially so. He still used some of his old voice on the black album.

By 1993 after 2 full years of constant stadium touring he was struggling with certain songs.

MetallicA - Sad But True (live in Moscow 1991) AUDIO UPGRADE - This was so fucking good

Metallica Sad But True Live Mexico City 1993

You can really hear the strain in the latter and he was having trouble with the later high notes. He was done with trying to match his original roar entirely after 1995. It's fine, people age, and James Hetfield's gone through a lot of voices, but trying to mimic Chris Isaak is only part of the story. He just couldn't roar like the 80's anymore.

His voice hit its peak around 89 IMO, he had that well-rounded roar. The Live Shit Binge and Purge vocals were fucking insane.

metallica-metallica_1.jpg

August 12, 1991

I love this album. Enter Sandman, Wherever I May Roam, Through The Never, Struggle Within, Of Wolf And Man.....shit, the whole record is classic.

It's got amazing staying power. As of February this year it was selling an average of 5,000 copies each week.

Amazing for an album 25 years old.

Fun fact : My first online username was Sandman, djsandman and Mr. Sandman at various places in tribute to Enter Sandman.

What is your favorite track?

Fuck I'm old

This album reminds me if a friend in high school that drove me to school for a year and he listened to 3 cassette tapes the whole year. This one, an Elvis one, and Gwar's Scumdogs of the Universe.

Hahaha, one of my friends was the same way, but it was this one and Megadeth's Countdown to Extinction. Repeat forever.

Thaedolus

Unpopular opinion: Load is the better album.

...maybe it's just because I'm around the age they were when they recorded it, but I appreciate it much more than I did when I was younger.

kendrid

Banned
25 years ago I was in Middle school, so this years '25 years ago' threads hit me with maximum nostalgia, and the Black Album is not an exception. Purchased the tape of this at Shopko on the same day as Strider for the Genesis. I'm positive that I beat that game before finishing listening to the album.

Memory is an odd thing. Strider seems like 30 years ago to me while the Black album seems like 15.

Strider technically amazed me back then. I just watched a Youtube video and it brought back a lot of great memories.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYfs6_CeQzA
This play through is 20 minutes long so you could have beat the game three times while listening to the Black album.

iExplicit

By far the greatest album in all of history (my opinion, mates)

This album is held as a God-Tier album for me. A close second is Escape the Fate's "Dying is Your Latest Fashion"

]

Applebite

Always thought this album was just okay. Recently listened to it again and felt the same way. The songs just lack punch and aren't that memorable aside from a handful of them. Not a huge Kirk Hammett fan, either. Better than anything they released afterwards though.

Randam

Yeah but they also made Risk and Super collider.
But Dystopia I'd say is one of their top 5 musically.
In no particular order:
Rust in peace
Killing is my business
Dystopia
Youthanasia
Cryptic Writings
Are Megadeths best imo, I know people praise Countdown to Extinction and while it's got some good songs I think it's a pretty boring follow-up to Rust in Peace and doesn't bring anything new to the table in terms of their sound whereas I feel like all of the above do.

what the..?
where is Peace Sells?

their best with Rust in Peace.
and I really like So Far, So Good… So What!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom