• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2nd Mario Strikers Charged GAF World Cup

maxmars

Ladies & Gentlemen,

Looks like the cup is now in its second edition! After completing the first one (which saw Haunted One as the winner), the MSC posse (as of now, fourteen people) is back with a vengeance.

There will be a few changes to the rules, so please read carefully the following paragraphs!

* Anybody can sign up, from any part of the world. The rules about signing up are in my next message. You can sign up until 23:59 GMT of sat Jun 30th. England = GMT +01:00, Germany / France / Italy = GMT +02:00

* The Merrickans are still without the game. LOL!

* We will split in two groups, and everybody will have exactly one month to play once with everybody else in his/her group.

* After the first phase, the first four players of each group will go to the quarters of finals, then the tournament will continue with the direct elimination formula.

* We will play the usual formula of two out of three games, which means that each match will end 2-0 or 2-1.

* You will get three points for each game won, regardless of the goals scored in each game, so a 2-1 match will net six point to the winner, three to the loser, while 2-0 mean six points to the winner and zero for the loser.

* In this edition, you will be free to choose whatever team you want each match.

* In this edition you will be able to choose whatever stadium you want, as long as it's got no special effects. Basically this means the default stadium OR the classic stadiums.

* You will get zero points for each game that's not been played because of both players not managing to play.

* If only one player can't play, he will be defaulted a 2-0 loss, with partial scores of three goals to zero for each game.

* Upon completion of the match, participants will report in the thread their score like this: Wes 2(16) - Maxmars 0(1), where two and zero are the number of matches, while sixteen and one are the number of goals scored.

* There is no regulation for disconnections or interruptions.. Please regulate yourself, be fair and be honest, lest we are required to become policemen. E.g. if the house is on fire and you are playing a match, run out and let your opponent decide if he wants to replay the match. If he does not agree to replay, he's won that match.

* The prize for this edition is a surprise. :D

At the end of the tourney we will have a debriefing so that we will see what to change in the rules for the next edition.

maxmars

Signup rules

You must write down in this thread your info in this manner:

GAF Nickname
Mii Name in the game
Mii Friend Code
A Logo if you want (E.g. FLAGS, although Haunted has some neat small ones!)

Preferred days/hours for playing
(This is only so that other people can see when's the best moment to play with you)

E.g.

Maxmars
Maxmars
124654 658137
90px-Flag_of_the_Vatican_City.svg.png

Every night from 20:30 to 22:30 GMT / UTC

(which means 22:30-00:30 in Italy/Germany/France, 21:30-23:30 in UK/Portugal)

By signing up you commit yourself into the tournament from the first day (Sun Jul 1st) until the very end. If you don't show up for your matches it's not a problem, though: the match will be lost by you and won by your opponent. If both of you won't show up you will BOTH lose the match.

Signup is possible until Sat Jun 30th at 23:59 UTC/GMT, aftert that I will unveil the groups.

fresquito

fresquito
fresquito
094590 038550
22px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.png

(I might change it at a later time).

Mornings (8:30am GMT - 12 am GMT) or early in the afternoom 14 GMT - 16 GMT). I can try to arrange matches in other times.

Haunted

GAF: Haunted One
Mii: 'Basti'
FC: 287863 481544
22px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png

Preferred playtime: 7 days a week, 18:00 - 24:00 GMT (20:00 - 02:00 in Italy/Germany/France, 21:00 - 01:00 in UK/Portugal)

----------
Here are the small flags max mentioned, taken from Wikipedia.
22px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png
22px-Flag_of_England.svg.png

22px-Flag_of_Portugal.svg.png
22px-Flag_of_the_Netherlands.svg.png

22px-Flag_of_Ireland.svg.png
20px-Flag_of_France.svg.png
22px-Flag_of_Belgium_%28civil%29.svg.png

22px-Flag_of_Denmark.svg.png
20px-Flag_of_Switzerland.svg.png
20px-Flag_of_the_Vatican_City.svg.png
22px-Flag_of_Greece.svg.png

max said:
* The prize for this edition is a surprise.
oooooh, I like this edition of the Cup already. :D

maxmars

Yes it's quarters of finals, I just copied and pasted that bit.

about Vatican team: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vatican_City_national_football_team

So even if it's not in the FIFA rankings I'm sticking with it. Next time: San Marino. Bwahahaha! :D

Edit: yeah it's a short notice but it's not coming out of left field. I mean, we've been talking about it for a week now?

Anyway, the fourteen that spoke in the old thread only need to post details, I know that they will participate.

maxmars

Alright then:

Maxmars
Maxmars
124654 658137
20px-Flag_of_the_Vatican_City.svg.png

Almost every night from 20:30 to 22:30 GMT / UTC
(which means 22:30-00:30 in Italy/Germany/France, 21:30-23:30 in UK/Portugal)

In July I will be away in the following dates:

From 3 to 6 July
From 13 to 22 July

The small flags are cool!

dk_

GAF: dk_
Mii: 'Dennis'
FC: 124657 844717

Preferred playtime: Monday - Thursday + Sunday, 18:00 - 21:00 GMT (20:00 - 23:00 in Italy/Germany/France, 19:00 - 22:00 in UK/Portugal)

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Myke Greywolf
Mii Name: Myke
FC: 309339 398350

Available: almost every night, 18:00-19:00 and 20:00-23:00 GMT

(19:00-20:00 and 21:00-0:00 Portugal and UK, 20:00-21:00 and 22:00-01:00 Central Europe)

GAF Nickname Phife Dawg
Mii Name in the game Steve
Mii Friend Code 047347 233799

Mo-Th 18:00-20:00
Sa 12:00-16:00
Su all day (preferred day for me)

Koren

GAF Nickname Koren
Mii Name in the game Koren
Mii Friend Code 008690 741522

Dauphine-small.jpg

Mo-Fr 19:00-23:00
Sa & Su all day (but I may not be available on all week-ends)

* For those wondering, it's a french regional flag (near the Alps)... There's no international team, of course, but the local team is owned by japanese people :)

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Gaf nickname: Dash Kappei
Mii Striker: DashK GAF
Friend code: 378058 368821

22px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png

Preferred days and time for playing:
Almost every night from 18:00 to 22:30 GMT(there may be exceptions friday to sun.)
(which means 19:00-00:30 in Italy/Germany/France, 18:00-23:30 in UK/Portugal)

I don't know when I'll be away for my holidays yet, I'll update when everything is said and done with my friends :).

Dash Kappei

maxmars said:
* After the first phase, the first four players of each group will go to the semi-finals, then the tournament will continue with the direct elimination formula.

????

Did you mean quarter finals (4p from groupA+4p from groupB=8 players)?

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
GAf: Tanasten
Game: Tanasten
CODE: 515496 687218

I'm going to play trough a shitty VGA BOX :(

maxmars

Dash Kappei said:
????

Did you mean quarter finals (4p from groupA+4p from groupB=8 players)?

Yes already covered, now I've updated the post. I will do the groups tomorrow as today I've been away all day (reached the frontier of Italy with Switzerland, in Varese) and now am quite tired.

NeoGAF name: radioheadrule83
Mii name: Tom
22px-Flag_of_England.svg.png
England /
union_flag.gif
UK / Great Britain
Friend code: 008691 177035

Preferred times of play:
Mo-Fr 19:00-23:00
Sa & Su all day (availability may vary)
Out of country for 4 days, July 6th to July 9th.

Dash Kappei

LAG RULE

Since we had a couple of problems about this and we also had a Cup Final rematch due to a lag problem (thanks to Haunted One's fair play), I'd say the lag rule should be updated.

Something like this should work:

Since it is immediately noticeable if there's too much lag to play, drop the match within the first 10seconds or so of the beginning of the match, if you continue to play then there's no rematch.

After the 2nd drop in a row, you'll play the match and that's it, sorry :)

Also:
Drop the match only in case there's massive lag, agree to start matches only when they have at the very least a 3 stars connection and, has some of you forgot to do in previous matches, turn of all you p2p applications (like torrents, Emule or Skype): be a good sport and always remember to do this since you could be fine but at the same time it could seriously affect your opponents.

Everybody's fine with this rule? Any non-complicated hassle free suggestions?

Haunted

Dash Kappei said:
LAG RULE

Since we had a couple of problems about this and we also had a Cup Final rematch due to a lag problem (thanks to Haunted One's fair play), I'd say the lag rule should be updated.

Something like this should work:

Since it is immediately noticeable if there's too much lag to play, drop the match within the first 10seconds or so of the beginning of the match, if you continue to play then there's no rematch.

After the 2nd drop in a row, you'll play the match and that's it, sorry :)

Also:
Drop the match only in case there's massive lag, agree to start matches only when they have at the very least a 3 stars connection and, has some of you forgot to do in previous matches, turn of all you p2p applications (like torrents, Emule or Skype): be a good sport and always remember to do this since you could be fine but at the same time it could seriously affect your opponents.

Everybody's fine with this rule? Any non-complicated hassle free suggestions?
It sounds ok, although I'd give some leeway with the '10 seconds rule' - I've experienced some matches where I'd have massive lag right at the beginning of the match which then disappeared after 20 or 30 seconds or so. So I'd say if we decide to make a rule on that (although I'm fine with regulating this amongst ourselves, like Drake and I did.), give some leeway - maybe make it 30 or 45 seconds or so in which people can judge the connexion quality.

I agree with your second paragraph (the underlined stuff) completely though.

Dash Kappei

Also, I see some of the players are missing: the ones that enlisted for this 2nd Cup, but in the previous thread, like Toma, Nil10, MasterMfauli... are we sure that they saw this new thread? :D

Maybe we could wait a couple of days to end the enlisting, what do you say?

It would've been nice to reach 16 players...

Dash Kappei

Haunted One said:
It sounds ok, although I'd give some leeway with the '10 seconds rule' - I've experienced some matches where I'd have massive lag right at the beginning of the match which then disappeared after 20 or 30 seconds or so. So I'd say if we decide to make a rule on that (although I'm fine with regulating this amongst ourselves, like Drake and I did.), give some leeway - maybe make it 30 or 45 seconds or so in which people can judge the connexion quality.

I agree with your second paragraph (the underlined stuff) completely though.

Thanks.

The fact of having a little rule is there just to help because some of us, like me for example :), would never ask to play again a match already lost, even if we experienced massive lag.

A ten seconds (or so) rule would e something FAST and hassle free I think.

The fact is that we can make it 30 seconds, but
a) Time limit would be maybe more difficult to spot
b) what do we do in case we or, even more important, our opponent scores?
In this case we go on with playing the match no matter what?

Kawaii

Dash Kappei said:
Also, I see some of the players are missing: the ones that enlisted for this 2nd Cup, but in the previous thread, like Toma, Nil10, MasterMfauli... are we sure that they saw this new thread? :D

Maybe we could wait a couple of days to end the enlisting, what do you say?

It would've been nice to reach 16 players...

I also participated in the previous cup but i'm away from home for 2 weeks next wednesday.
\

Dash Kappei

Kawaii said:
I also participated in the previous cup but i'm away from home for 2 weeks next wednesday.
\

Yep, I noticed that you didn't enlisted for this Cup in the previous thread so that's why I didn't add you in the list (also there was a "..." in my post:).

See you in the 3rd Cup! ^__^

Ciao,
Dash

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Group A
Code:
                           Series      Games      Goals      Points
1. [IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9a/Flag_of_Spain.svg/22px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.png[/IMG] Fresquito            4:0         8:2       33:16        24
2. [IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/ba/Flag_of_Germany.svg/22px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png[/IMG] MasterMfauli         2:1         5:2       15:9         15
3. [IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/ba/Flag_of_Germany.svg/22px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png[/IMG] Haunted              2:0         4:0       21:4         12
4. [IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9c/Flag_of_Denmark.svg/22px-Flag_of_Denmark.svg.png [/IMG] Bo130                1:2         2:5       11:25         6
5. [IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/ba/Flag_of_Germany.svg/22px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png[/IMG] dk_                  0:2         1:4        7:13         3
6. [IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/03/Flag_of_Italy.svg/22px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png[/IMG] Dash Kappei          0:2         1:4        7:13         3
7. [IMG]http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z111/HauntyOne/Dauphine-small.jpg[/IMG] Koren                0:0         0:0        0:0          0
9. [IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/00/Flag_of_the_Vatican_City.svg/20px-Flag_of_the_Vatican_City.svg.png[/IMG] Maxmars              0:0         0:0        0:0          0
8. [IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/ba/Flag_of_Germany.svg/22px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png[/IMG] Darktails            0:1         0:2        1:5          0

Group B
Code:
                           Series      Games      Goals      Points
1. [IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f3/Flag_of_Switzerland.svg/20px-Flag_of_Switzerland.svg.png[/IMG] Swisslink            1:0         2:0       11:9          6
2. [IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/20/Flag_of_the_Netherlands.svg/22px-Flag_of_the_Netherlands.svg.png[/IMG] CapnDrake            0:0         0:0        0:0        0:0
3. [IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5c/Flag_of_Portugal.svg/22px-Flag_of_Portugal.svg.png[/IMG] Myke Greywolf        0:0         0:0        0:0        0:0
4. [IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/ae/Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg/22px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png[/IMG] nli10                0:0         0:0        0:0        0:0
5. [IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/ba/Flag_of_Germany.svg/22px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png[/IMG] Phife Dawg           0:0         0:0        0:0        0:0
6. [IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/be/Flag_of_England.svg/22px-Flag_of_England.svg.png[/IMG] radioheadrules83     0:0         0:0        0:0        0:0
7. [IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9a/Flag_of_Spain.svg/22px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.png[/IMG] Tanasten             0:0         0:0        0:0        0:0
8. [IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/ba/Flag_of_Germany.svg/22px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png[/IMG] Toma                 0:1         0:2        9:11        0

Im in!!

Sry I was busy doing other things =/

Toma
Toma
369468 010088

"Challengable" at any time

So who is in charge for writing down and managing the scores? :D

Oh and big Thx for reminding me @ DK. Would have missed it otherwise =/

Haunted

So, the two guys 'missing' are nli10 and MFauli (a previous semi-finalist!). It would be nice to have them onboard as well... We're 13 now, with those two it would be 15... so close to the perfect 16. :D Did you write them PM's already, Dash? If not, I'll remind them myself.

And, just to make sure everyone knows what's in store for them
and to start the official trash-talk
:lol : I have not lost one series since I won my semi-final against tanasten - played ~40 series since then, ranked and unranked, and won them all. :eek:

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Champion of the people.

The title will stay in germany
Approved.

EDIT:
Its a shame but I will have no chance against you this time xD Too many other hobbies and things keep me busy. And leading our universities english club takes up too much time =(
I am already thinking about quitting that -.-

Ahoi,

i´ll participate, but only if noone is disappointed if i mighty get several default losses. I have a test in ab 14 days, so i dont know if i can play that much. If that´s ok i´m in. :)

GAF Nickname: MasterMFauli
Mii Name: MFauli
Mii Friend Code: 171 899 273 205

Preferred days/hours for playing: Thur/Fri/Sa/Su always from afternoon to evening. Monday only in the morning or early afternoon. That´s all for German time, so take away 1 hour from GMT, that´s then it.

Oh, and just an idea for the future:

There are a hella lot of German partcipants :)

How about making the next, the 3rd, worldcup...more worldcup-like?
That´d mean, that the next time, all German players would have to do a pre-tournament, where only the winner is allowed to participate at the worldcup.
The same would go for every nationality with more than 1 participants.

Just think about it...would make the whole thing more...official ;-)

Toma

MasterMFauli said:
That´d mean, that the next time, all German players would have to do a pre-tournament, where only the winner is allowed to participate at the worldcup.

no

haunty is GERMAN, you are what?

more importantly
What am I???
<- Proud Liechtensteinian since todamorrow

[begging]for real. I am 1/4 Bulgarian. does that count? [/begging]

But srsly it would be a unbelievable coincidence to get the right amount of countries for the cup. In this cup this would mean people from 16 different countries =/

Toma

MasterMFauli said:

NO

!

Toma said:
But srsly it would be a unbelievable coincidence to get the right amount of countries for the cup. In this cup this would mean people from 16 different countries =/

Right now i count 11 different countries. If it were 12 in the end, we could have 4 groups with 3 counries, then semi finale with the winners of these 4 groups, then a final with the winners of the two semi finals.

But i t was just an idea...it´s a bit boring with so many German guys...and im one, too, so i´d put myself into harder competition :p

Toma

MasterMFauli said:
Right now i count 11 different countries. If it were 12 in the end, we could have 4 groups with 3 counries, then semi finale with the winners of these 4 groups, then a final with the winners of the two semi finals.

But i t was just an idea...it´s a bit boring with so many German guys...and im one, too, so i´d put myself into harder competition :p

There wouldnt be competition anymore ._. I am hoping that I am not in the same group as Haunty...
Oh and if you want all those poor german guys in one group...
<- 1/4 Bulgarian

Haunted

It's an interesting idea, MFauli, but let's try to play this Cup first. :D We can talk about things like this in the running up to the next one. And who knows? If the other territories have the game by then, we might have a completely different structure to look out for. :)

45 minutes left to register, we have 15 guys from 10 countries. I think that's awesome. More participants = more games to play = more fun. :D

Can't wait to play vs you again, Toma!
:lol

nli10

maxmars said:
Anyway, the fourteen that spoke in the old thread only need to post details, I know that they will participate.

Phew - I've been away since Thursday (got online for 1 hour at lunch on Friday) and thought i'd missed this.

GAF Nickname - nli10 (pronounced Enlighten :D )
Mii Name in the game - nli10
Mii Friend Code - 459662 678347
A Logo if you want -
flag.jpeg

Preferred days/hours for playing - Weekday evenings, I will go online to suit.

Toma

Haunted One said:
Can't wait to play vs you again, Toma!

*trembling*

pretty cold in here aint it guys?
haha
=/

Haunted

aaaand we're 16 players. awesome stuff.

edit: Will you be fine with this, nli10?
logoStPauli.jpg
Just shrinked it down to equal size. :)

Darktails

GAF Nickname: Darktails
Mii Name: Darktails
Mii Friend Code: 124658 105082

Preferred days/hours for playing: Weekend

Haunted

nice. If we reach 18 players, we should seriously think about splitting this into three groups.

- Three groups à six players, the first two of each group advance, plus the two best third-placed players.
OR
- Two groups with nine players, where the best four of each group advance.

I know max announced the split into two groups already, but I'm pretty sure he didn't expect 17(18) players showing up (last Cup were 12 participants) - hmmm.

maxmars

I beg your pardon guys, as I feared I'm finding myself more than a bit busy with several things going on.

I will try to create and post groups, but if you don't hear from me tomorrow, please haunted do it for me. Whatever you choose is ok, just let's start playing. Tomorrow I will also leave for a week, so in case you don't hear from me tomorrow be known (for the matches) that I'll return saturday.

nli10

Haunted One said:
aaaand we're 16 players. awesome stuff.

edit: Will you be fine with this, nli10?
logoStPauli.jpg
Just shrinked it down to equal size. :)

OOh that's very cool

I just overtyped the jpeg in my folder with the one from your list so either the Union Jack (half Irish half English so it's the only applicable flag :D) or the St. Pauli Anti-discrimination Pro-togetherness flag is fine by me :)

Haunted One said:
nice. If we reach 18 players, we should seriously think about splitting this into three groups.

- Three groups à six players, the first two of each group advance, plus the two best third-placed players.
OR

I know max announced the split into two groups already, but I'm pretty sure he didn't expect 17(18) players showing up (last Cup were 12 participants) - hmmm.

3 gropus would be better.
Less matches to play ;-)

Dash Kappei

MasterMFauli said:
3 gropus would be better.
Less matches to play ;-)

Naww, we already said 2 groups ;)

Plus, to be able to play good matches is the exact meaning of the tournament, competition is fine and all, but we play for the fun first and foremost. :)

Also, it wouldn't be fair to the lesser players since the group without Hauntie nor CapnDrake would be advantaged :p

Dash Kappei

Haunted One said:

Seconded!

(To me the "2 best third placed players" thing would be really unfair to the other third placed player being left out of the quarter finals.)

If you find a better way to determine who gets in, then 3 groups is fine with me.
Otherwise I don't feel it would be right... (and it doesn't concern me 'cause I would never rank 3rd;-)

And yes Hauntie, I PMd a few of them and as you can see they showed up at last ^__^

Haunted

Dash Kappei said:
Naww, we already said 2 groups ;)

Plus, to be able to play good matches is the exact meaning of the tournament, competition is fine and all, but we play for the fun first and foremost. :)

Also, it wouldn't be fair to the lesser players since the group without Hauntie nor CapnDrake would be advantaged :p
I don't think a group with tanasten or MFauli in it would be better off at all. ^_^;

The last Cup consisted of 7 matches (for the finalists), and I think that was a pretty good length for the tournament...

If we play this one with two groups, that's 8 matches in the preliminary round + 3 more matches for quarter- semi- and the finals. If we play it with 3 groups, it would be 5 matches + 3 matches in the K.O. rounds. I think that length would be perfect. We have to strike a balance between being able to play as many fun matches as possible, but keeping the length and duration of the Cup in check.

I can see where you're coming from, but hey, whatever max decides to do, everyone'll accept that. :)

Dash Kappei

Haunted One said:
I can see where you're coming from, but hey, whatever max decides to do, everyone'll accept that. :)

Obviously :)

Maybe the best third placed player can get a wildcard and the other two can play against each other to decide who'll pass?

Haunted

Dash Kappei said:
Obviously :)

Maybe the best third placed player can get a wildcard and the other two can play against each other to decide who'll pass?
hm, I don't think we'll get another player to sign-up, so we're now 17 players.

So, I'd do it like this: two groups with six players, the first three advancing, and one group with five players, the first two advancing -- there's three players in every group that are eliminated, and eight in total who advance to the quarterfinals.

Or we'd have two groups with eight in one and nine in the other, with four players advancing in each - which increases the chances for the participants of the smaller group.

Top Bottom