• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2nd Mario Strikers Charged GAF World Cup

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Haunted One said:
which increases the chances for the participants of the smaller group.

You meant decreases right?

Anyway, I'm up for anything max decides, I just hope that, between the matches I may forfait and the ones my opponents will, in the end I won't play just a couple of group matches after all it's said and done. :)

Bo130

Haunted One said:
So, I'd do it like this: two groups with six players, the first three advancing, and one group with five players, the first two advancing -- there's three players in every group that are eliminated, and eight in total who advance to the.

I'm fine with this :)

maxmars

no no Dash, it's not MY decision, it's everyone's.. The cup is just a device to let us play together, so there's no "better" solution than the one people want to play. I'd say see whichever option is more popular and go with that.

Personally I don't care, as a rule of thumb I think we should try to let people play no less and no more than 7-8 matches a month and create groups accordingly. We've seen that playing more is difficult (witness the week where we played three matches), less is probably unsatisfactory.

Once again, this is our cup, not mine!

Haunted

Alright gentlemen, maxmars has asked me to post the groups since he is extremely busy at the moment. I didn't really know how to tackle the group-making, so I took the lazy safe route and simply split the players into two groups by alphabetical order. Exceptions are the previous Cup's finalists (Drake and myself) who were seeded #1 in their respective groups. Why two groups after I've argued for three myself? I realised that it's better to play more matches, and I think we can handle 7 (8) matches in roughly 4 weeks.

So without further ado, here's how it looks:

Group A:
Code:
[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/ba/Flag_of_Germany.svg/22px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png[/IMG] Haunted
[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9c/Flag_of_Denmark.svg/22px-Flag_of_Denmark.svg.png [/IMG] Bo130
[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/ba/Flag_of_Germany.svg/22px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png[/IMG] Darktails
[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/03/Flag_of_Italy.svg/22px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png[/IMG] Dash Kappei
[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/ba/Flag_of_Germany.svg/22px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png[/IMG] dk_
[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9a/Flag_of_Spain.svg/22px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.png[/IMG] fresquito
[IMG]http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z111/HauntyOne/Dauphine-small.jpg[/IMG] Koren
[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/ba/Flag_of_Germany.svg/22px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png[/IMG] MasterMFauli
[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/00/Flag_of_the_Vatican_City.svg/20px-Flag_of_the_Vatican_City.svg.png[/IMG] Maxmars
*note: I decided with a coin toss that Group A would have nine players.

Group B:
Code:
[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/20/Flag_of_the_Netherlands.svg/22px-Flag_of_the_Netherlands.svg.png[/IMG] CapnDrake
[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5c/Flag_of_Portugal.svg/22px-Flag_of_Portugal.svg.png[/IMG] Myke Greywolf
[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/ae/Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg/22px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png[/IMG] nli10
[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/ba/Flag_of_Germany.svg/22px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png[/IMG] Phife Dawg
[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/be/Flag_of_England.svg/22px-Flag_of_England.svg.png[/IMG] radioheadrules83
[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f3/Flag_of_Switzerland.svg/20px-Flag_of_Switzerland.svg.png[/IMG] Swisslink
[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9a/Flag_of_Spain.svg/22px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.png[/IMG] Tanasten
[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/ba/Flag_of_Germany.svg/22px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png[/IMG] Toma

I'm actually pleased how balanced these Groups turned out. Group A is a bit heavy on the Germans, but there's no helping that with that many participating. :lol

Everyone - you know the drill. Add your group members FC's to your friends list and start making appointments and schedules to play your games. Use ICQ/AIM/MSN/this thread or PM's or whatever, but get into contact with each other.

This time around, you have one month (until the 29th of July) to complete all your matches, so we're not going to publish weekly schedules - that's all up to us, the players. Also decide among yourselves whether you want to be the home or the away team, but try to keep it balanced. Everyone should get the chance to host a couple times (not that it makes a huge difference in this game).

Please refer to maxmars' excellent first post for the formal stuff (how to report a win in this thread, what stadium you're allowed to choose etc.) or if you have any more questions. If the question is not addressed in the OP, just ask in this thread.

Let's have some fun and lots of exciting matches, GAFfers. :D

fresquito

Okay, so I can play the whole day. So if anyone on my group wants to battle me, just tell me in a PM enough time and I'll be there. If you see me online, just hold a game and it will be official for us :)

Bo130

I'll just add the players, and I'm ready to play the first game against you, if you want to. I had trouble getting online in the game yesterday, though, so if it happens again I'm afraid I can't play until a later date.

OH BTW, you said that the fight would get redone if there was too much lag within the first ___ seconds. How are you suppose to tell that to the other person? MSN?

EDIT: I'm online. Ready? 3 minutes matches, or what?

fresquito

I confirm Bo130 result. Heh, I had a problem in the beginning of the second match, where I had to stop playing and do some duties. Hopefully you didn't realise :lol

I'll add the results against dk_

dk_ 1(6) - fresquito (2(10)

I won't say that I was lucky, but he had very bad luck in the last round, where he would shot oftentimes but score zero goals :-/

Good matches both of you. Thank you for them ^_^

dk_

fresquito said:
I confirm Bo130 result. Heh, I had a problem in the beginning of the second match, where I had to stop playing and do some duties. Hopefully you didn't realise :lol

I'll add the results against dk_

dk_ 1(6) - fresquito (2(10)

I won't say that I was lucky, but he had very bad luck in the last round, where he would shot oftentimes but score zero goals :-/

Good matches both of you. Thank you for them ^_^
Yeah, the first 2 games were pretty close, but in the last one your goal was sealed. :-( Good games, though.

dk_

MasterMFauli said:
fresquito: 2 (7) - mastermfauli: 1 (7)

Close match, but i admit defeat :p
And you didnt use mega shots, thumbs up for that :)
Huh? Is there a rule that interdicts Mega Shots?

fresquito

MasterMFauli said:
fresquito: 2 (7) - mastermfauli: 1 (7)

Close match, but i admit defeat :p
And you didnt use mega shots, thumbs up for that :)
Yep, really close. When you scored the first two goals in the first round I was like "okay, I'm gonna be beaten badly here". But then I scored a goal and thought I could make a come back, just to win 4-2. Then you beated me to a pulp in the second game. I didn't stand a chance, I simply forgot about shooting :lol The third game almost got me out of my nerves. Again losing 0-1 and making a come back to win almost in the last moment.

BTW, I like playing fair, I use all the skills I know and remember to use in the moment, I just don't like abusing them, be megashots or whatever.

Thank you for this sweet match :)

Bo130

Haunted One said:
Damn, you guys are fast. :eek: I'm heading online now - want to play, Bo?

Yeah, let's do it. Looks like I'm already heading for the bottom of the group, xD

Come as a bit of a chock. I'm good at most of my other online games ;_; :p

fresquito

BTW, about the results, I've been thinking and I believe we should check victories vs loses in the first place, instead goals. I mean, let's say I end up having 18 points and Haunted does it as well. I have scored 30 goals and he 25. But he won 6 matches and lost 2, while I won 6 and lost 4.

I would win since I scored more goals, but I think that's not fair, since the one winning 2-1 will have a better score than the one winning 2-0, since there's a game more to add goals.

In the example given Haunted would come in front of me, since he lost less matches than I did, thus playing less games and having less options to score goals.

I don't know if I make myself clear >_<

Capndrake said:
Are there any specifics on who is the Home player in each match, or does it not matter this time?

Also decide among yourselves whether you want to be the home or the away team, but try to keep it balanced. Everyone should get the chance to host a couple times (not that it makes a huge difference in this game).

:p

Bo130

Haunted 2(10) - Bo130 0(3)

Wow, amazing first game. Thanks :D After getting ahead in the second match I totally lost track of you, though. I'll gladly play you again another time :) For others, it was 3-2, 7-1.

Haunted

Just played Bo130

Haunted 2 (10) - Bo 0 (3)

Thanks for the games, Bo! You're very good at defending - your tackling in the first game completely ruined my flow and made this a very close match. After I adapted a bit better, I won the second one more clearly. But man, your tackles are vicious - I think the ratio was something like 4 - 47 in the first game? :lol

edit: jesus, what a ****ed-up friendly match. :D I didn't even realise we weren't playing a timed match until after the second game. >_< That was the best training for mega-strikes ever: you blocked 29 shots (23 of those were orange!) in the last game alone - I was just hoping your arms would get tired after a while.. :lol :lol

fresquito

I've done a score board with the results so far. It's already ranked and I'll change it as matches procceed. If you think anything is missing, just tell me and I'll add it. Please, someone make the Group B board, as it will be better if we share duties ^_^

Code:
[B]GROUP A[/b]
[B]
PLAYER           POINTS   GAMES   VICTORIES   LOSES  RATE  G. SCORED   G. TAKEN   RATE[/B]
Haunted One        30       5        10         0    +10       48           9     +39
fresquito          24       4         8         2     +6       33          16     +17
MasterMFauli       15       4         5         4     +1       17          17       0
dk_                 9       4         3         7     -4       15          25     -10
Bo130               9       4         3         7     -4       13          29     -16
maxmars             6       1         2         0     +2        6           3      +3
Dash Kappei         3       2         1         4     -3        7          15      -8
Koren               0       2         0         4     -4        5          15     -10 
Darktails           0       2         0         4     -4        2          17     -15
Updated up to post #216

Here I'll list the results for each player ordered by name. The results are ordered by date of posting. This way everybody can check what matches are yet to be played. I've bolded the winner of each match.

Bo130
Bo130: 0 (2) - fresquito: 2 (9)
Haunted One: 2 (10) - Bo130: 0 (3)
Bo130: 2 (6) - Dash Kappei: 1 (6)
dk_: 2 (4) - Bo130: 1 (2)

Darktails
MasterMFauli: 2 (5) - Darktails: 0 (1)
Haunted One: 2 (11) - Darktails: 0 (1)

Dash Kappei
Dash Kappei: 0 (1) - fresquito: 2 (7)

dk_
dk_: 1 (6) - fresquito: 2 (10)
dk_: 0 (1) - MasterMFauli: 2 (3)
dk_: 2 (4) - Bo130: 1 (2)
Haunted One: 2 (10) - dk_: 0 (4)

fresquito
Bo130: 0 (2) - fresquito: 2 (9)
dk_: 1 (6) - fresquito: 2 (10)
fresquito: 2 (7) - MasterMFauli: 1 (7)
Dash Kappei: 0 (1) - fresquito: 2 (7)

Haunted One
Haunted One: 2 (10) - Bo130: 0 (3)
Haunted One: 2 (11) - Darktails: 0 (1)
Koren: 0 (2) - Haunted One: 2 (9)
MasterMFauli: 0 (2) - Haunted One: 2 (8)
Haunted One: 2 (10) - dk_: 0 (4)

Koren
Koren: 0 (2) - Haunted One: 2 (9)
maxmars: 2 (6) - Koren: 0 (3)

MasterMFauli
fresquito: 2 (7) - MasterMFauli: 1 (7)
MasterMFauli: 2 (5) - Darktails: 0 (1)
dk_: 0 (1) - MasterMFauli: 2 (3)
MasterMFauli: 0 (2) - Haunted One: 2 (8)

maxmars
maxmars: 2 (6) - Koren: 0 (3)

Dash Kappei

I'm heading online right now, I'll invite to play an official match for the tournie anyone from my group that I'll see online... (Haunted? Fresquito? Dk? Bo?)

See you there :)

Bo130

Dash Kappei said:
I'm heading online right now, I'll invite to play an official match for the tournie anyone from my group that I'll see online... (Haunted? Fresquito? Dk? Bo?)

See you there :)

I'm right there in a minute.

fresquito: Nicely done, looks baaaad for me, though, xD :D

maxmars

Great job Fresquito, I've come to realize how good this community is. :D

I'd hope to play some matches this evening but most probably I will just pack my stuff and leave -- however next week if there's someone from group A, I will be at home without family the whole week. :D

fresquito

Dash Kappei: 0 (1) - fresquito 2 (7)

It's been a nice match. I think I made him lose his will in the first round, with a clear 4-0. I came a bit more relaxed to the second one, and Dash did really fine, but had no luck scoring. I did and won 3-1.

Thank you for the match ^_^

Dash Kappei

Bo130 said:
Bo 2 - 1 DashK
Bo 0 - 2 DashK
Bo 4 - 3 DashK

=

Holy shit at that series! :)
the matches were really tight and I was a little bit tense at first 'cause...

...I must admit that when I saw that you as home player chose my ;-) Donkey Kong I was SOOOOO pissed! I was like "WTF, who am I going to play with now..."
I had lag in the first match but you scored so soon that I couldn't drop the match anymore, but after that it went fine and I had fun!

Also, Fresquito just schooled me really HARD, he rode me like a bitch!:lol
What the hell at those Shy Guys, he scored 4 goals with middlefield strikes! :-/
Anyway, I didn't have a chance in hell, he's too good for me :)

Btw, already two losses... I'm ready for my third one Hauntie! :lol

Bo130

Dash Kappei said:
Btw I must admit that when I saw that you as home player chose my ;-) Donkey Kong I was SOOOOO pissed! I was like "WTF, who am I going to play with now..."
I had lag in the first match but you scored so soon that I couldn't drop the match anymore, but after that it went fine and I had fun!

Oh sorry, I had no idea :) We're pretty even it seems, let's play again sometime soon :)

Dash Kappei

Bo130 said:
Oh sorry, I had no idea :) We're pretty even it seems, let's play again sometime soon :)

Don't worry, you won fair and square and in the end it could've gone both ways so it's fine :)

Yeah, I'm pretty even with a couple of strikers here on GAF Cup... even if in the end I'm always the one who lose :lol

Of course I'd like to play you again :)

fresquito

maxmars said:
Great job Fresquito, I've come to realize how good this community is. :D

I'd hope to play some matches this evening but most probably I will just pack my stuff and leave -- however next week if there's someone from group A, I will be at home without family the whole week. :D
Thanks ^_^

Have a nice time!

mastermfauli: 2 (5) - Darktails: 0 (1)

The first round was awsome, Darktails ^^
But i think after about 10 fully lodaed shots i deserved my golden goal ;)

dk_ : 0 (1) - mastermfauli: 2 (3)

Wow, another great match.
You really know how disrupt my play ^^ Was very hard for me to do my passes.
And a close result, too.

The opponents of the 2nd gaf cup are stronger, for sure...im afraid :-/

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Bo130 said:
I'm ready in half an hour.

Holy crap, Group A will be done with the tournament by tomorrow, xD :p

fixed ;)

Haunted

Man, I just went online and you all vanished :( Afraid?
pffft. ^_^;

Dash, MFauli, dk_? Anyone up for a Cup game now?

Haunted One said:
Man, I just went online and you all vanished :( Afraid?
pffft. ^_^;

Dash, MFauli, dk_? Anyone up for a Cup game now?

Sorry, my hands are still shaking from my match with Darktails.
3 matches today, i call it a day ;-)

Haunted

MasterMFauli said:
Sorry, my hands are still shaking from my match with Darktails.
3 matches today, i call it a day ;-)
3 Cup matches already? fair enough, get some rest, man. :)

I've played just one...I'd like to play one more today.

Phife Dawg said:
Holy crap, you guys are fast. Can't play today since I came home late from work and have training now. Trying to play some matches tomorrow.
Looks like Group A caught a serious case of Strikers fever. :D Relax, though - there's plenty of time, no one should feel rushed to play (although I'm not helping things, either) ^_^;

Holy crap, you guys are fast. Can't play today since I came home late from work and have training now. Trying to play some matches tomorrow.

Swisslink

Swisslink: 2 (11) - (9) 0 Toma

(@Toma, ok so? :p
Das war ja das erste Spiel ^^)

Close match, but 7/9 Goals were megashots, i've really some problems with these ^^

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
FP

filler-post

Top Bottom