• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

30 killed in school attack in northeast Nigeria

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan2026

Why does it always seem to boil down to freaking religion these days?

If they really want to believe in something, why not believe in sunshine and rainbows and being nice to your fellow man.

People who use their religion to be massive dicks should be ejected from the planet, forcibly.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Why does it always seem to boil down to freaking religion these days?

If they really want to believe in something, why not believe in sunshine and rainbows and being nice to your fellow man.

People who use their religion to be massive dicks should be ejected from the planet, forcibly.
People need to stop blanketing all religion with these pussy footing generalizations. In this case, it's Islam. In another case, it may be Christianity. Or Buddhism. Or Hinduism. However, in this case, it's Islam. Let's not start generalizing, because it may lead to blame on those who had nothing to do with it.

Though I don't have much to base my thoughts on, I'd put forth the point that the act of terrorism is a creature in and of itself that would exist in some form whether or not it is motivated by religion.

That is to say Islam does not cause terrorism. Religion as a whole can be seen as a way to disseminate memes that manipulate behavior one way or the other. This can be used for moral or immoral purposes.

Stridone

Banned
So according to the islam defenders on NeoGAF, it's just a coincidence that just about every single country that gets/has a sizeable islamic community turns into a violent shithole?

Islam does not need defending. It's an intolerant, supressive religion by nature.

If the goal is to put an end to terrorism, what benefit is there to singling out Islamic terrorism? Terrorism occurs every where, every day--including here in America where the presence of Islam is negligible.

I'd argue than there is more than one variable (i.e. Islam) causing human beings to harm one another.

Do you think if we took away all religion on earth that it would put an end to terrorism and violence in general?

harSon

Banned
So according to the islam defenders on NeoGAF, it's just a coincidence that just about every single country that gets/has a sizeable islamic community turns into a violent shithole?

Islam does not need defending. It's an intolerant, supressive religion by nature.

When paired with an already heavily impoverished and volatile situation? Absolutely. It's not like Islam is the only religion with ill effects within Nigeria. Pentecostalism (Christian) pastors within Nigeria for example, have created a phenomenon within rural parts of Nigeria where children are abandoned, tortured or killed due to accusations of witchcraft.

Except those countries and eras of majority Islamic nations which have been peaceful?, particularly during the time when Europe was embroiled in that whole Dark Ages thing. To say that Islam is an axiomatic font of intolerance and suppression is to ignore the people, the political entities, which wield the power of religious institution and mobilization toward the ends of autocracy or terror. And the historical preconditions that allow them to flourish. We've seen this time and time again. There's a reason the leaders of these terrorist or radical groups are usually found to be massive hypocrites in their private lives. No room for self-examination exists, because the puritan disease is neat, simple, pure. Reductivism always is.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I don't get it. Why kids?
The human brain/mindset will forever be our greatest enemy, that's why. People who are blind do shit like this. And I'm not talking about physical eye-sight. To have a wider vision, see the bigger picture, and have a true appreciation for ALL life takes much greater effort and self discovery imo.

phaze

Except those countries and eras of majority Islamic nations which have been peaceful?, particularly during the time when Europe was embroiled in that whole Dark Ages thing. To say that Islam is an axiomatic font of intolerance and suppression is to ignore the people, the political entities, which wield the power of religious institution and mobilization toward the ends of autocracy or terror. And the historical preconditions that allow them to flourish. We've seen this time and time again. There's a reason the leaders of these terrorist or radical groups are usually found to be massive hypocrites in their private lives. No room for self-examination exists, because the puritan disease is neat, simple, pure. Reductivism always is.

Not that I disagree with the overall gist of your post but let's not paint Islam dominated areas as some pacifist utopia. You don't get from Mekka to Poitiers and Vienna without crushing some skulls along the way. Islam had its share of wars and didn't differ in that from Europe or other parts of the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom