• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

30 years ago today: Ian Curtis, lead singer for Joy Division, died on 18 May 1980

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

ian_curtis.gif

Wikipedia:
Ian Kevin Curtis (15 July 1956 – 18 May 1980) was the songwriter and lyricist of the British post-punk band Joy Division. Joy Division released its critically-acclaimed debut album Unknown Pleasures in 1979, and recorded their follow-up Closer in 1980. Suffering from epilepsy and a failing marriage, Curtis committed suicide on 18 May 1980, on the eve of Joy Division's first North American tour. Curtis's life and death have been dramatised in the films 24 Hour Party People (2002) and Control (2007).
Curtis's last live performance was on 2 May 1980 at Birmingham University, a show that included Joy Division's first and only performance of the song "Ceremony", later recorded by New Order and released as their first single. The last song Curtis performed on stage was "Digital". The recording of this performance can be found on the compilation album Still.
Detailed in Debbie Curtis's Touching from a Distance, Curtis was staying at his parents' house at this time and attempted to talk his wife into staying with him on 17 May 1980, to no avail. He told her to leave him alone in the house until he caught his train to Manchester the next morning. In the early hours of 18 May 1980, Curtis hanged himself in the kitchen of his house in Macclesfield. He had just viewed Werner Herzog's film Stroszek and listened to Iggy Pop's The Idiot. At the time of his death, his health was failing as a result of the epilepsy and attempting to balance his musical ambitions with his marriage, which was foundering in the aftermath of his affair with journalist Annik Honoré. His wife found his body the next morning.

More on Joy Division:
Wikipedia
AllMusic

Joy+Division+Manchester.jpg

Discography:
An Ideal for Living is the debut EP released by Joy Division in 1978, shortly after changing their name from Warsaw.
An_ideal_for_living.jpg

Unknown Pleasures is Joy Division's debut album, released in 1979 through Factory Records.
641548346_307218a4cb.jpg

Closer is the second and final album by Joy Division, released July 18, 1980, two months following the suicide of lead singer Ian Curtis
Joy_Division_Closer.jpg

The Peel Sessions EPs were released in 1986 and 1987 and feature the recordings made for the for John Peel's BBC Radio 1 show transmitted on 14 February 1979 and 10 December 1979.
JoyDivision_ThePeelSessions_1986.jpg

Heart and Soul is a Joy Division box set containing nearly every track the band recorded. The first two discs contain their entire studio output, including the albums Unknown Pleasures and Closer, along with singles and compilation appearances. Discs three and four collect rare demos and live recordings, many of which were previously unreleased. All tracks are digitally remastered. It's the third highest ranked compilation album of all time on rateyourmusic.com.
416MG14G4SL._SS500_.jpg

site_28_rand_142367974_joy_division_maxed.jpg

A few songs:
Warsaw - They Walked in Line

Joy Division - Disorder

Joy Division - New Dawn Fades

Joy Division - She's Lost Control

Joy Division - Shadowplay

Joy Division - Transmission

Joy Division - Isolation

Joy Division - Digital

Joy Division - Atmosphere

Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart
Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart

Joy Division - Ceremony
New Order - Ceremony

joy_division_bowden_02_450x300.jpg

Movies about Joy Division and Ian Curtis:
24 Hour Party People (IMDb Netflix)
51GEPJF0H6L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Director Michael Winterbottom re-creates the reckless world of Manchester, England, in the 1970s in this ambitious story about the birth of punk and new wave that gets its bite from improvised performances and fast-paced, guerilla-style camerawork. The plot focuses on Tony Wilson (Steve Coogan), the journalist/band manager/label president/club owner who was one of the major forces behind the movement.

Control (IMDb Netflix)
418b0R6veEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

In a blistering breakthrough performance, Sam Riley stars as Ian Curtis, the troubled Joy Division singer whose personal, professional and romantic battles ended in suicide at age 23. Rock photographer Anton Corbijn's directorial debut chronicles Curtis's life in stylish black-and-white, faithfully re-creating the mood of the British post-punk scene circa 1980. Samantha Morton co-stars as Curtis's wife, Debbie.

Joy Division (IMDb Netflix)
51l--x-519L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Director Grant Gee provides a cultural portrait of Manchester, England, during the 1970s as he examines the rise and fall of the punk band Joy Division. The film charts the history of the group, its members and musical inspiration. The anger and despair felt by much of England's youth found its way into the lyrics and violent instrumentation of Joy Division's songs, an artistic expression that was more than just rebellion.

joy-division.jpg

SmokyDave

R.I.P to an extremely talented writer and performer. That's a fantastic OP, fair play for the effort.

xbhaskarx said:
The Peel Sessions EPs were released in 1986 and 1987 and feature the recordings made for the for John Peel's BBC Radio 1 show transmitted on 14 February 1979 and 10 December 1979.
JoyDivision_ThePeelSessions_1986.jpg
I love this album. I think I'll give it a spin before bed.

Onemic

I find it funny/interesting that you can tell that this guy would kill himself just based on looking at all the band pictures. He always looks so depressed and out of the element. It really puts Kurt Cobain to shame.

Wow, cheers to this OP. I thought about making one, but there's no way it would have been so comprehensive. The Joy Division documentary is especially great. It's probably one of my favorite documentaries.

Ian Curtis was definitely a one of a kind artist. The music he made during his brief life and career had a huge impact on rock music. It's crazy to think he wrote all these songs by the age of 23. Anyway, I adore Joy Division and have been listening to a bunch of Warsaw bootlegs today. Rest in peace, Ian.

ronito

I remember reading an article that Johnny Marr wrote about Joy Division and I remember he said the first time he heard their music is was "devastating." Strangely I think it's the most appropriate term. They're just one of those bands that you listen to and think "This changes everything."

Polari

I can't believe he was the same age I am now. It's amazing just how influential Joy Division were and continue to be. I definitely recommend Deborah Curtis' book Touching From a Distance, it's a fantastic albeit tragic read.

Empty

great band. i've been meaning to watch 24 HPP and Control for ages but never got round to it, now this thread has reminded me i'll throw them on my lovefilm queue.

Get'sMad

Empty said:
great band. i've been meaning to watch 24 HPP and Control for ages but never got round to it, now this thread has reminded me i'll throw them on my lovefilm queue.

I love, love, love 24 Hour Party People despite the obvious embellishing. I didn't dig Control too much, but its worth a watch.

Polari

modernkicks said:
I love, love, love 24 Hour Party People despite the obvious embellishing. I didn't dig Control too much, but its worth a watch.

Yeah, Party People is definitely the superior film. Sean Harris is absolutely mesmerising as Curtis. Such an underrated actor.

xbhaskarx

modernkicks said:
I love, love, love 24 Hour Party People despite the obvious embellishing.

The embellishing is fine as not only is it acknowledged in the film, but Tony Wilson's character even says that when given the choice between the truth and the legend, (quoting John Ford) "print the legend".

As good a time as any to listen to Unknown Pleasures. Which I think is my favourite album. Closer is good but I prefer the stripped down (and not so much keyboard) sound of it.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
MrPing1000 said:
As good a time as any to listen to Unknown Pleasures. Which I think is my favourite album. Closer is good but I prefer the stripped down (and not so much keyboard) sound of it.
The contrast between the music and lyrics is freighting. They were playing some wild tunes while Curtis was signing about death, loneliness, total depression.

Only thing I know form this band is "Love will Tear Us Apart" which I heard a lot last year. It now reminds me of a specific bunch of friends.

I will check out control, for sure;D

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I thought Control was a beautiful film personally, and 24 Hour Party People merely watchable in a half-serious history sense.

The end of Control where Atmosphere is playing stays with you forever.

Tremas

Came back from a tribute night of sorts at a local bar. Saw a number people during my commute in Unknown Pleasures t-shirts too.

Been listening to them virtually non stop today. Truly timeless music.

ps. Sacrilege as it is to some, I rather like The Distillers' cover of No Love Lost, vocals included.

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
Awesome thread. You could just feel Curtis' torment through everything they did. That final demo recording of "Ceremony" is such a powerful listen.

Gonna listen to my favorite Joy Division songs during my nightly walk. Haven't listened to them in a loooooong time, I'm looking forward to it.

scotcheggz

Weird, I listened to substance just a few hours ago for the first time in ages. Great band.

RIP Ian Curtis, about all I have to say.

dekjo

Great thread, will have to toast to Ian when I go out drinking tonight and maybe give an album or two a spin when I get home.

satriales

Control is one of my favourite films of recent years. I thought 24hr Party People was good too but Control was just incredible.

Anyway great band, Atmosphere and No Love Lost are my favourite songs of theirs.

Onemic

Man this thread has made me finally decide to listen to my Unknown Pleasures album in its entirety. Damn.

RIP Ian

I really love the Xiu Xiu cover of Ceremony although I realize Jamie's vocals are an acquired taste. I still have never seen them play it live. :( That opening guitar riff gives me chills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fuq1oqHwAZE

And in terms of tribute songs, I think Psychic TV's song "IC Water" is nice, if kind of corny and dated acid house way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49FlVvyQGKo

The best part is the message from the 7'' (which I have transcribed into English from Genesis P-Orridge/PTV moon English):

"...AND EVERY DAY IN EVERY WAY WE CAN SEE YOU DIE AND WE COULD NEVER GO AWAY AND WE COULD NEVER TELL YOU A LIE • AND WE CAN SEE YOU SCREAM AND WE CAN SEE YOU CRY • AND ALL THE STORIES AND ALL THE TEARS THAT ALL WAYS COME TO YOU ••• ‡ FOR IAN CURTIS ‡ ‡ 10 YEARS OF TIME ‡ ‡ TOWARDS THEE INFINITE BEAT ‡ - MAY 1990 - ‡ PSYCHIC TV ‡"

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Listening to the Von Thronstahl cover of We Walked in Line. So awesome. JD is definitely one of the most influential bands of all time, and it's strange to think of how Curtis had written all these hugely influential songs before he was 23, younger than I'm now.

krypt0nian said:
That reminds me. I have to pick up Control on Blu-Ray.

Region free, I'm told. German release.

51e3mkgg5blss500ri0.jpg
holy fuck you can get it on BD?

must get.

And that Broken Social Scene cover is EPIC. Even though I'm a huge fan of both bands this is my first time hearing it.

Celine

Vox-Pop said:
The contrast between the music and lyrics is freighting. They were playing some wild tunes while Curtis was signing about death, loneliness, total depression.
Isolation come to mind.

Also Decades must be in the OP ( well not only that song :D )

Personally I don't like Atmosphere that much.

Never really knew much about Joy Devision but watched Control the other day with the wife and really enjoyed it.

Also interested in listening to their music as it sounded really good and instantly made me think they must have been 80's Matchbox B-Line Disaster's biggest influence.

Dead Man

Nice OP, really covered it well. Also recommending Control for anyone who has not seen it, amazing film. And 24 Hour Party People is a laugh as well as being touching and embellished!

xbhaskarx said:
Great covers of great songs.

Coincidentally, this t-shirt I ordered last week (unaware of the anniversary of Ian's death this week) arrived today:

il_430xN.144678458.jpg

It has the lyrics to "24 Hours" silk screened on it, and it looks rad in person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom