• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

360: NCAA Official Season 1 Thread of Stiff Arming and Spinning at the Same Time!

GCQuinton

bobbydigital said:
Is anyone thinking about going with a Mid Major Team? Im actually considering playing with Kent State(my Alma Mater) instead of Ohio State. I always play with them on my normal dynasty due to the challenging recruiting and being able to schedule big conference teams for a challenge on the field. Also does anyone know if there are coach contracts on the online dynasty. For example on all the previous games if you had a couple of good seasons you get job offers from other schools and jump ship for a big name program.

EA's said online and offline dynasties are the same, so yeah that should still apply.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
GCQuinton said:
Yes, you can play in one conference and schedule up to five out of conference games which is what I proposed in an earlier post (I'd require at least four).

According to the GI article, we can set our own conferences, so there might be a way to work around this to get what everyone wants. Up to four people can decide to replace one of the independents with their team, and theoretically play all human opponents if they schedule it like that. The other eight people can do a human/CPU mix.

Keep in mind that since someone's on the other end, they have to agree to play the games too.

Man, that's great news.

cubanb

Banned
I'd be interested in playing in a dynasty league as the Cal Bears depending on how it is organized. I wasn't planning on picking up this year's version and just keep playing last year's dynasty, but this sounds fun.

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
cubanb said:
I'd be interested in playing in a dynasty league as the Cal Bears depending on how it is organized. I wasn't planning on picking up this year's version and just keep playing last year's dynasty, but this sounds fun.
post a gamertag and a team and I'll post it

Striker

So, isn't that 12 people? I noticed Lonestar isn't on the list, though, but he's been a proven, reliable player in the previous Madden Leagues.

You in, buddy?!

Lonestar

Striker said:
So, isn't that 12 people? I noticed Lonestar isn't on the list, though, but he's been a proven, reliable player in the previous Madden Leagues.

You in, buddy?!

Probably not, at least not at the beginning. I know I'm getting the PS3 league. I'll see how things turn out, maybe get a 360 copy from Gamefly as a "fill in" possibility down the road.

If someone does go with Bama, hopefully they'll do well enough to give me a good team to take over ;P

TheCrow

Lonestar said:
Probably not, at least not at the beginning. I know I'm getting the PS3 league. I'll see how things turn out, maybe get a 360 copy from Gamefly as a "fill in" possibility down the road.

If someone does go with Bama, hopefully they'll do well enough to give me a good team to take over ;P

Just so you know I won't be using Alabama, Bama is better off without me :D

Lonestar said:

You need to get into both leagues so Bama can lose twice!!!

I'm doing the opposite, actually. I'm definitely buying the 360 versions of Madden and NCAA because that's the only way to play with my real life friends, but I want to be in the GAF leagues so I'll probably be Gameflying the PS3 versions.

Lonestar

ha ha :p I seem to remember beating you more than losing to you, last time NCAA had a league :D

While the D ratings on my team blow (though probably accurate except for CB's), I somehow have the highest rated LT and RT in the game. My RG is in the top 20 for that position. Julio is also in the game. So is Star "I can run" Jackson :p

BTW: Why haven't you posted in the college football thread recently. I mean, come on, you should be blasting me on Jimmy John's Powder Adventure. WHAT GIVES?

Striker

bobbydigital said:
Is anyone thinking about going with a Mid Major Team? Im actually considering playing with Kent State(my Alma Mater) instead of Ohio State. I always play with them on my normal dynasty due to the challenging recruiting and being able to schedule big conference teams for a challenge on the field. Also does anyone know if there are coach contracts on the online dynasty. For example on all the previous games if you had a couple of good seasons you get job offers from other schools and jump ship for a big name program.
I agree with you. I would also like to use a smaller, not-so-good school, and build them strong. However, with folks picking teams like USC and Florida, it'll be tough as shit to beat them. :lol

I'm still unsure who I'll pick. Right now, I am mostly leaning towards Rutgers, even though Ray Rice left!

It works out in the end, though. I'll likely be Ohio Bobcats or some 1-star prestige school in my single player, offline dynasty. I used SMU in last year's game and achieved the 1-star to 6-star achievement.

Vumpler,

You should update the first post about it being a season, and not a dynasty. :p

Dynasty ftw!

Vets List

SpoonKiIIah - Tennessee
bdosg - Texas Tech or Vanderbilt
pheeniks - Texas or Florida
Striker029 - Rutgers (or Penn State/UCLA)
BirdBomb - Texas or Middle Tennessee State University
Qbert420 - Kansas
GCQuinton - Mississippi State
Eric WK - USC or Georgia
DammitMatt - Auburn

Newer Comers List

KamikazePIPBoy - Illinois or Alabama
armubaba - Michigan or LSU
bobdigi33 - Ohio State or South Carolina
Cubanb49 - California Golden Bears
Re-quoted for the second page. I also edited my part. ;)

vumpler

Striker said:
Vumpler,

You should update the first post about it being a season, and not a dynasty. :p

Dynasty ftw!

Thanks Striker :D Done per request

vumpler said:
League Commish: (undetermined) GCQuinton is more than likely going to be the driver, but we will leave it open for another week. If you have what it takes to lead this ship a-sail convince us why. Quinton has a pretty nice self deemed resume to compete with, so good luck!

a_rockytop.jpg

(Stole most of this from FMT's thread.)

League supports 12 human players. So, lets get the 12 together!

This will only be a DYNASTY not just a season as I once suggested. CGQuinton enlightened us to some great aspects about a dynasty and it was a group choice.

1. I don't even know why I'm posting this since it should go without saying, but in case we end up with any new people in the season: play legit. no bullshit tactics etc. Reference the Madden season threads for a general understanding of what legit is.

3. probably have a 2-3 day time period in which you can play games. We are looking for a quicker season.

4. its true that vets will have priority in joining the league. hate to be a dick about it but we have to have dependable people!

5. Post your Gamertag followed by the team you want. Its not set in stone that we will be using the SEC exclusively so pick an SEC team as well as just any team you want.

interested? then post!

Vets List

SpoonKiIIah - Tennessee
bdosg - Texas Tech or Vanderbilt
pheeniks - Texas or Florida
Striker029 - Penn State, Rutgers, or UCLA (SEC - Arkansas)
BirdBomb - Texas or Middle Tennessee State University
Qbert420 - Kansas
GCQuinton - Mississippi State
Eric WK - USC or Georgia
DammitMatt - Auburn

Newer Comers List

KamikazePIPBoy - Illinois or Alabama
armubaba - Michigan or LSU
bobdigi33 - Ohio State or South Carolina
Cubanb49 - California Golden Bears

Bold denotes a known reliable player. Known reliable players get priority on teams over new comers. Its nothing against the first timers but we aren't 100% sure you won't just flake out.

Striker

Thanks. Awesome. :)

I'm heading to work shortly, but before I go there, I'm dropping by the gaming store and trading in GTAIV and pre-ordering NCAA '09.

Not so far away from release!

vumpler

Striker said:
Thanks. Awesome. :)

I'm heading to work shortly, but before I go there, I'm dropping by the gaming store and trading in GTAIV and pre-ordering NCAA '09.

Not so far away from release!
Hopefully it's still $36 trade in at Gamestop/EB when you put it towards NCAA. It was last week and I banked on it :D

bdoughty

Banned
This thread has more twists than a soap opera. :D

Since we are going dynasty and non conference, just stick me in as Texas Tech and you can confirm that bad boy.

Already have my NCAA 09 paid in full.

vumpler

bdoughty said:
This thread has more twists than a soap opera. :D

Since we are going dynasty and non conference, just stick me in as Texas Tech and you can confirm that bad boy.

Already have my NCAA 09 paid in full.
Fixed

bdoughty

Banned
Woo Hoo... NCAA Release Day is the closest thing to Christmas in my video game world.

P.S. to the rest of the league.

crabwatch.jpg

I might throw to him on occasion.

GCQuinton

I'm on the fence between North Carolina and Duke right now since I don't know how much of a challenge I want :lol

I was checking out the dynasty PDFs and it looks like only the commish can set the custom schedules, so we'll have to get that figured out when everyone gets the game. We can probably get the ball rolling on that once everyone's got their team chosen by starting to contact the other teams they want to play and starting the arrangements.

There's also an "autopilot" setting, where the commish can set a user's team to in the event they can't play their game a particular week (one example of this is dammitmatt's wedding week, congrats!). When it's set to that, the CPU will take over that week and sim it until the status is changed back.

Also, I haven't seen this anywhere I checked, but guys, be honest with your CPU games and play them like you would a human opponent (i.e. "straight", sim style). If you lose the CPU, don't play it over or try to sim a win. I don't know if I'll be able to monitor that stuff, but again, be honest about it.

NCAA officially kicks off the new season of games for me every year, so I can't wait for this one.

bdoughty

Banned
GCQuinton said:
Also, I haven't seen this anywhere I checked, but guys, be honest with your CPU games and play them like you would a human opponent (i.e. "straight", sim style). If you lose the CPU, don't play it over or try to sim a win. I don't know if I'll be able to monitor that stuff, but again, be honest about it.

I read where the commish has access to all the CPU played games and it will tell YOU, if a game has been restarted and if so how many times.

GCQuinton

bdoughty said:
I read where the commish has access to all the CPU played games and it will tell YOU, if a game has been restarted and if so how many times.

Well that solves that :lol Thanks.

bdoughty

Banned
Lonestar said:
IT'S THE SYSTEM, DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHH

:lol

They used to try to throw that out to Leach when he first got here. He did have a doozy of a comeback.

"If B.J. is a product of the system, then he's not getting any of those touchdown passes and all those yards. That means our coaching staff is," Leach said. "That would also mean we could go down to 7-Eleven and get the clerk behind the counter and let him play quarterback." In Amarillo Globe News

Lonestar

Well, I do remember Alabama playing Texas Tech a few years back ;P Man, what a sucky offense we had...have. But that defense did a number on TT.

bdoughty

Banned
Lonestar said:
Well, I do remember Alabama playing Texas Tech a few years back ;P Man, what a sucky offense we had...have. But that defense did a number on TT.

They did what very few teams have done. Most teams just rely on outscoring them, being that Tech's defense is a sieve. As a Sooner fan living in Lubbock, this last year has not been pleasant.

Striker

vumpler said:
Hopefully it's still $36 trade in at Gamestop/EB when you put it towards NCAA. It was last week and I banked on it :D
Traded in GTAIV and Chromehounds, and peaked at a promo deal which landed me also a GI Magazine for one year. I have $31 on the game as we type! :)

Striker said:
I agree with you. I would also like to use a smaller, not-so-good school, and build them strong. However, with folks picking teams like USC and Florida, it'll be tough as shit to beat them. :lol

I'm still unsure who I'll pick. Right now, I am mostly leaning towards Rutgers, even though Ray Rice left!

It works out in the end, though. I'll likely be Ohio Bobcats or some 1-star prestige school in my single player, offline dynasty. I used SMU in last year's game and achieved the 1-star to 6-star achievement.
)

Striker,

It will be tough at first but i think it may be worth it. Plus if we can recruit one more person to choose a MAC team(or other Mid Major Team) we will only have to a minimum of 2 non-conference human players. That will make it a little easier. But if you chose a MM Conference with no other human players in it that would be extremely difficult depending on your skill level. I'm seriously considering giving it a shot, as long as no one laughs at me the first couple of seasons.

Striker

bobbydigital said:
Striker,

It will be tough at first but i think it may be worth it. Plus if we can recruit one more person to choose a MAC team(or other Mid Major Team) we will only have to a minimum of 2 non-conference human players. That will make it a little easier. But if you chose a MM Conference with no other human players in it that would be extremely difficult depending on your skill level. I'm seriously considering giving it a shot, as long as no one laughs at me the first couple of seasons.
Ah no I wouldn't laugh. I would desire to use a smaller school myself, but I can do that in my offline dynasty. :p I am planning to play 10+ seasons in that.

As for conferences... whoever can answer feel free. Have we decided how we're doing this, yet? Are we creating our own conference? I also wonder if we can move a CPU controlled team into our conference.

Lonestar

Another thing, wonder how long till the roster gets names put into it? I'd hate to start the dynasty with a bunch of #17's and such.

Striker

Lonestar said:
Another thing, wonder how long till the roster gets names put into it? I'd hate to start the dynasty with a bunch of #17's and such.
Same here.

Does anybody know how the Roster Sharing will work?

GCQuinton

Striker said:
Ah no I wouldn't laugh. I would desire to use a smaller school myself, but I can do that in my offline dynasty. :p I am planning to play 10+ seasons in that.

As for conferences... whoever can answer feel free. Have we decided how we're doing this, yet? Are we creating our own conference? I also wonder if we can move a CPU controlled team into our conference.

As soon as I'm confirmed as the commish, I'll go ahead and start another thread to start clearing this all up. If/when I do though, we're not going to create our own conference (already said why before on the first page of the thread), but I'll move stuff around enough to accomodate what everyone wants if we can shift the conferences around.

Regarding moving CPU teams into your conference, I won't be doing that just for the long-term viability of this. If I move a team for you and for whatever reason you're gone after a season or two, I can't change that back and we're all stuck with it.

Lonestar said:

Answered on the last page, but to expand on it, rosters will probably be out a few days before up to a few days after the game's out. For online dynasty, the file the commish uses will be the one all members of the dynasty will use.

vumpler

cubanb said:
That is so awesome. I have always been tempted to buy all the accessories to download the rosters and transfer them, but I never end up doing it.
Holy shit we can do that and use them online!?!? That would be amazing!

I remember before I used to play online in the PS2 days there was a website you could mail in your memory card and $20 and he would give you the rosters with all the names. We did it every year. Was really worth it as many hours as we used to play.

bdoughty

Banned
I need to clarify that freencaaroster09.com site a bit. If you had College Hoops 2K8 it will work similar to that, except you go through your locker room.

The people at OS and some of the other sites (including known roster editors) get the game early. Last year the rosters were out right at launch or at most a couple days after release.

The way it works online is whatever rosters the Commish of the league has on his hard drive are the ones that are used in the online dynasty.

Or after reading QC's post, what he said about what I mentioned on the previous page.

:lol

bdoughty

Banned
One additional thing will need to be discussed.

Difficulty level and minutes played.

I think the two difficulty options to consider are the ones in bold. (Junior Varsity, Varsity, All-American, Heisman)

Before you laugh at playing on Varsity level you need to consider this. The lower the difficulty level in the game the more you have to rely on YOUR SKILLS. It really adds to the difficulty on defense as you have to rely on your skills, instead of the AI players.

That said since the game is going to be more open and most people play on All-American that would be the level I recommend. Otherwise there could be some serious shootouts on offense and very few defensive matchups.

Quarters - I always found 5 a little quick and would vote for 6. I play 8 minutes offline but that would be too much for an online game.

Just my 2 cents

cubanb said:
That is so awesome. I have always been tempted to buy all the accessories to download the rosters and transfer them, but I never end up doing it.

I actually did buy the Xchange and card for last years NCAA game and did the same for the Original Xbox versions but now im mad that i wasted the money buying it for last years game.

vumpler

Who's ready for some Rocky Top Beat Down? You know its coming! 7/15/08

at least I hope it's coming lol

cubanb

Banned
Just brought in a bunch of games to EB and got NCAA paid for and applied some for a madden preorder too. I am ready!

Cereal

I got all excited when I saw this thread, because I'd really love to play with you guys... but then I noticed that vumpler has already staked claim to my beloved Vols. Name your price sir, how much will it take to pry them away? :lol

If needed, I'd be willing to roll with the Kentucky Mildcats (for SEC play and a challenge) or Louisville (if there is enough Big East competition). I also wouldn't be against choosing another conference if it needed more human players. Gamertag is Cereal IV

Striker

You can choose any team you like, so go with Kentucky or Louisville. :p

I am also still somewhat skeptical about the scheduling. :\

mik

mik is unbeatable
Argh--missed this thread. If you end up with anyone dropping out and need someone, I'd love to play.

1st choice: BYU
SEC choice: Vandy

Striker

Bobbydigitial,

I sent you a FR. I also have bdosg, Vumpler, and Quinton on my list. We have a confirmed lineup?

vumpler

I just need gamertag's followed by 2 teams you're considering and I'll post it :D

Did I miss anyone?

Cereal

Upon further thinking (Kentucky, seriously?), and if there is room for a noobie, sign me up for Ga. Tech or Ole Miss.

Top Bottom