• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3rd party s-video cables. Are they really that bad?

I'll make it short and sweet. For some odd reason, the component inputs on my TV are going out. I'm color blind so it wasn't all that obvious to me but a friend mentioned how "off" the color on the TV was. Some colors looked ok, others weren't there at all. No matter which console I use, it's like this so I know it's the TV. Wiggling the connections in the back seems to bring the color back and forth.

I need to switch to S-Video. I'll have to buy cables for all three systems but I'm not really looking forward to paying ~$20-30 for each console. Checking eBay, it would seem that 3rd party s-video cables can be had for <$5.

So, can I expect decent output with these really cheap S-Video cables?

SantaC

On my 3rd party s-video cable and monster cable s-video I definitiey saw less color bleeding on the monster.

B000092WZ2.01-A1NDBS7YGOPBD6.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Shompola

Banned
the differene is negliable between a quality cable and a cheap 3rd party one. The biggest differences are as you said that some 3rd party ones have shitty connectors that leads to dissconnections wich is annoying.

If you want to measure the difference between a cheap a 3rd party cable and an expensive one like monster you better get your oscilloscope ready.

That purple monster cable shown has just dropped to $15 new at Gamestop. Same price for the PS2 and X-Box versions too. Don't know if they're any good though.

Wait a minute....the Monster GC cables are only $15?

I should just sell my GC component cables on ebay to make up the cost of buying new S-Video cables. They're still selling for $30 used.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
SantaCruZer said:
I don't use s-video any more since I got my modded RGB cable.

Modded RGB cable?

I looked up "S-Video Monster" at Gamestop. It says they're not available yet and they'll cost $19.99.

Doesn't seem like they have PS2 or GC versions either. Is this just online? Will I be able to find them at stores?

EBgames.com has a "universal" S-Video cable from Mat Catz that has connections for all three consoles. It's only 8.99. Anyone know if that's any good?

Akira

SantaCruZer said:
monster is among, if not the best in business...

For that price, they better be. I've heard a lot of people complaining about Monster overpricing.

Edit: Then again, I'm talking about their A/V products. Not sure about their gaming cables, which this thread is about.

BobbyRobby said:
Its in-store. I had to put on the new price stickers.

MEGA LIE!!

Or...it's a per-store deal. They were 19.99 at the GameStop near my place. I went ahead and bought them for the Xbox but they didn't have them for the GC or PS2. The clerk mentioned that decent S-Video cables for PS2 aren't seen very often in the store. :(

Would you be willing to buy the GC and PS2 Monster S-Video cables and shipping them to me?

anotheriori said:
that would be because the digital out port does not do a conversion for the video signal, and on each Nintendo brand component video cable, is a special DAC chip that is needed for the single to be output. Since it is nintendo technology, it is not available for 3rd party use, and this, no 3rd party component cables for gamecube. Which sucks the big one.

cvxfreak

I used an S-Video third party cable I recently bought in Japan. I bought it with my Spice GameCube there, since Japanese GCs do not include video cables and that the S-Video cable was only 900 Yen.

Top Bottom