• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4 new reasons to love IE

Status
Not open for further replies.
clipunderground said:
I hate those browsers though... they're to netscape like and view some websites all screwed up...

So get Mozilla with the IE view plugin. Christ, it's not that huge of a deal. I don't think I've had a site mess up on me, in a year. Maybe back in the earlier releases this was more freqeuent.

DarthWufei said:
So get Mozilla with the IE view plugin. Christ, it's not that huge of a deal. I don't think I've had a site mess up on me, in a year. Maybe back in the earlier releases this was more freqeuent.

christ yourself bud. I installed mozilla and it had viewing issues with at least three of the 5 top sites I visit.

clipunderground said:
christ yourself bud. I installed mozilla and it had viewing issues with at least three of the 5 top sites I visit.

Out of curiosity what sites were these? And Opera did not work for you either?

Deg

Banned
clipunderground said:
I hate those browsers though... they're to netscape like and view some websites all screwed up...

Try Opera. Switch to 'Identfy as IE' in quick prefences. I have never encountered problems on Opera that way. Even in Opera mode only two sites i know of display a little incorrect.

You can also do this on firefox by downloading the user agent extension.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Explain something to me...

What is it about IE that makes it so shoddy as far as the code goes? Couldn't M$ skate out of anti-trust settlements and save face in the browser arena by just introducing a new browser and/or repairing IE fully?

I don't get it.

Phoenix

Here's the kick in the teeth. Since the justice department gave in like a wet paper towel, IE will become core code in Longhorn so all of these exploits will lbe at the kernel level - not the OS level.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
DaCocoBrova said:
Explain something to me...

What is it about IE that makes it so shoddy as far as the code goes? Couldn't M$ skate out of anti-trust settlements and save face in the browser arena by just introducing a new browser and/or repairing IE fully?

I don't get it.

i think its just hackers want to destroy microsoft products. firefox may or may not be totally safe, but as long as moz is the browser of choice for computer elitists you most likely wont have anything to worry about.

miyuru

sp0rsk said:
i think its just hackers want to destroy microsoft products. firefox may or may not be totally safe, but as long as moz is the browser of choice for computer elitists you most likely wont have anything to worry about.

IAWTP

Been using IE since 3.0. Not a single virus, spyware, popup, etc. You guys just suck at using computers, that's all. If you actually cared (which you don't, obviously), you'd set the proper security settings.

Oh well. Use your crippleware like Firefox.

SKluck

Banned
I don't get how this happens. This shit isn't 'new', it's been IE since forever, just no one noticed it until now. And there's more and more every few months. So did IE originally ship with 1000s of security holes?

Does Mozilla and the like have their own holes, its just no one cares enough to look for them?

SFA_AOK

sp0rsk said:

IE is just more insecure than other browsers because of the way it works. Because of the open source nature of FF, bugs are going to be better dealt with than Microsoft's way of waiting til the bug and exploits become public and then releasing a patch after problems (i.e. viruses) have already surfaced.

God's Hand said:
Been using IE since 3.0. Not a single virus, spyware, popup, etc. You guys just suck at using computers, that's all. If you actually cared (which you don't, obviously), you'd set the proper security settings.

Oh well. Use your crippleware like Firefox.

What the fuck is your problem, dickhead? We don't use IE so we must suck at computers? Some great logic there. I keep my computer patched, run AV software and have a firewall protecting me and I still *choose* not to use IE because simply, it's a worse browser in terms of features and security.

Crippleware? I've used it across a number of different computers with different specs. It's been slightly slower to load than IE on some computers but apart from that (*slightly* slower), it's been just as good as IE for me. In fact in some ways better, IE doesn't (didn't?) like having loads of windows open at once on some computers I used. No such problems in FF.

aaaaa0

Phoenix said:
Here's the kick in the teeth. Since the justice department gave in like a wet paper towel, IE will become core code in Longhorn so all of these exploits will lbe at the kernel level - not the OS level.

Eh? Where did you get that idea from?

While integrating HTML rendering into the OS makes a fair amount of sense, putting HTML rendering directly into kernel mode would be about as logical as putting Microsoft Word in kernel mode.

If there are any plans to do something that retarded, I've heard nothing about it.

If Avalon is what you're thinking of, it is definitely not in kernel mode -- the graphics rendering layer it is sitting on (DX10) is, but the XAML rendering is definitely not in kernel mode.

maharg

idspispopd
Phoenix said:

Are you kidding me? I expect better of you phoenix. Why in gods name would anyone put the HTML renderer in the kernel? There's precious little in windows that actually runs in the kernel to begin with.

This is right up there with the time someone argued that MS added 'protected memory' to windows in XP (they added stack bound protection and some MS literature called it protected memory).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom