• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

40,000 Africanized honeybeads swarm man, sting every inch of his body

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ydahs

Regarding the GIF, I'm pretty sure he has a chemical on his hands which is found in hives, so the bees don't see him as a threat.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
That comic is inaccurate, a bee in my house gets the utmost attention until I know it's gone.

Kelthink

So is it European bees that have been Africanised, or African bees that have been Westernised? Something a bit off about that name.

mFFKI.gif
I feel that my day has just been ruined.

ugh.. can't even imagine.

though i currently have probably more than a hundred mosquito bites on me (counted about 50 on my right leg alone). itchy as all hell, all over my body, all the time.

went running in the forest late in the evening, big mistake during the Finnish summer lol. but our mosquitos are small and pretty harmless so it's cool. i hope i raised my tolerance for them and won't even notice their bites from now on :p that's my theory and i'm sticking with it.

When I was about 12 or 13, I accidentally disturbed a nest of wasps. They flew all around me and crawled on me. When they first hit me at first I thought it was a gust of wind (that's how quick they were); they probably only stayed on me for a few seconds but it felt like forever.

I stayed perfectly still, mostly because I had no idea what to do. I'm certainly glad my first instinct wasn't to flail about.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Nothing like ants, You can't kill them. They are like sheep.

I remember when I was a kid, they had projections and map showing the killer bees have taken half of the country by now.

Rocwell

Poor guy, if only he had behuhuhu the rub hive here two 15 tablets and just pol then and the letter are made of stones and the gray is a grout that twists and turns the letter.

I remember when FOX did a "the sky is falling" special on Africanized Killer Bees ("When Killer Bees Attack" if I remember correctly) around 15 years ago. Don't believe the hype.

We were all supposed to be dead by now, as the wave of terror swept up from Mexico.

I recall it vividly.

Love the subtle thread title change.

Holy shit, fan-fucking-tastic.

Seriously though, what a scary thing to read about :( People are wary enough about stinging insects, and the fact there's a honeybee that's ultra-dangerous killing people and scaring the bajeezus out of everyone doesn't help the regular 'ol docile honeybee and its troubling situation regarding disappearing & colony collapse.

... That hand gif, guys. Quit it.

Wellscha

Normal Bees are harmless, we have several lavender plants where you see a lot of bees on them. Wasps & Hornets on the other hand...Let's say I'm ok with them being extinct.

I would actually be interested to see how an encounter between African honeybees and Japanese giant hornets would play out.

Japanese honeybees have very specialized behavior to counter the hornets, obviously African honeybees would be just as hapless as Western honeybees in that regard. But would their more aggressive behavior make a difference? Maybe they could penetrate the hornet armor easier?

Mudkips

Banned
All worker bees are female. That's a beesis.

Queens are the only females.
Then you have breeding males.
Then you have unsexed drones.

I would actually be interested to see how an encounter between African honeybees and Japanese giant hornets would play out.

Japanese honeybees have very specialized behavior to counter the hornets, obviously African honeybees would be just as hapless as Western honeybees in that regard. But would their more aggressive behavior make a difference? Maybe they could penetrate the hornet armor easier?

Bees surround hornets in a big ball and vibrate to increase the temperature and kill them. Africanized bees wouldn't be any different beyond having a larger and faster response to the intruder.

J-Rod

I remember there being a honey bee hive in a hollowed out tree on my parent's farm when I was a child. Me and my older brother were looking at it one day and he started prodding the nest with a stick. I asked him what the hell he was doing and he said, "looking for the queen". I told him I was getting hell away and started back to the house. I was climbing over a small wooden fence about halfway back and I suddenly see him jump clear over the fence like it was nothing, land without breaking stride, and disappear like a bolt of lightning towards the house. They had just finished pulling all the bees off him with a hand towel by the time I got back. I didn't get stung at all, but they kicked his ass real good. Pointless and off-topic story, but I couldn't help reminiscing after reading the topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom