• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

40,000 Africanized honeybeads swarm man, sting every inch of his body

Status
Not open for further replies.

antonz

These exist all because some asshole biologist in the 50s thought it would be cool to crossbreed then had incompetent help that accidentally released them into the wild.

They are nasty shits. They have been documented chasing and attacking someone for more than a mile from the hive. So good luck just trying to put some distance to get them to leave you alone.

Send for Michael Caine

Swarm-1978-still-michael-caine-giant-bee.png

Eusis

Jesus, they're so big and juicy looking, like a jumbo shrimp.
How do they taste?

In the mountain regions of Japan some subcultures do eat insects and apparently they are a delicacy when fried.

Another fun fact, the Japanese giant hornet is the deadliest animal in Japan with a kill count of 40 people a year.
Reminding me why humans are the most terrifying, as horrifying as seeing how big that hornet is and how it can just trash a hive, some of us just go "you look tasty."

Lamel

Banned
I read a scientific article on bee behavior once. They are SO fascinating and intelligent.

On topic: sucks for the guy.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
These exist all because some asshole biologist in the 50s thought it would be cool to crossbreed then had incompetent help that accidentally released them into the wild.

They are nasty shits. They have been documented chasing and attacking someone for more than a mile from the hive. So good luck just trying to put some distance to get them to leave you alone.
If there anything stopping them from becoming the dominant bee species? That would be a downer.

blackflag

Used to be stationed at Howard AFB, Panama. Was on a bus one day by myself waiting by the runway. There was a lone bee. I smashed that bitch. Next thing you know bees are bouncing off the fucking windows trying to get at me.

I was scared.

Used to be stationed at Howard AFB, Panama. Was on a bus one day by myself waiting by the runway. There was a lone bee. I smashed that bitch. Next thing you know bees are bouncing off the fucking windows trying to get at me.

I was scared.

Don't start shit with bees, they won't sting you unless provoked.

Hornets are another story. They don't give a shit. I got stung by those assholes all the time in my childhood.

YoungHav

Banned
what is this Africanized bullshit? They were peaceful and now have become "Africanized". What a loaded racist term.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
So is it European bees that have been Africanised, or African bees that have been Westernised? Something a bit off about that name.

what is this Africanized bullshit? They were peaceful and now have become "Africanized". What a loaded racist term.

Wikipedia says the following about the African bee (Apis mellifera scutellata):

Wikipedia said:
A single African bee sting is no more venomous than a single European bee sting, though African honeybees respond more quickly when disturbed than do European honey bees. They send out three to four times as many workers in response to a threat. They will also pursue an intruder for a greater distance from the hive. Although people have died as a result of 100-300 stings, it has been estimated that the average lethal dose for an adult is 500-1100 bee stings. In terms of industrial honey production, the African bee produces far less honey than its European Counterpart, whilst reproducing more swarms and absconding (abandoning its nest). For this reason, African races of Honeybees are less desirable than European races, except where the proclivity of African bees give Beekeepers no other option due to the African's tendency to invade and take over European nests.

"Killer bees" are the offspring of African bees with various sorts of European bees. I assume that "Africanized" refers to the dominant feature of "killer bees" being their increased aggressiveness compared with European varieties of bees (in line with their African bee ancestry), rather than any kind of racism bleeding over from human society to bee names.

EDIT:

I remember learning about killer bees when I was in elementary school. I saw that they were mostly in Texas at the time, and so I decided then that I would never, ever go to Texas. And, of course, now I live in Texas. Life's funny like that.

mantidor

that documentary made it seem like the japanese bees evolved that behavior. other bees wouldn't necessarily do that

Right, the cooking alive stuff is a highly specialized response. No other species of bee is going to know how to do that.

You underestimate the africanized bees. Winter was supposed to stop them into spreading into North America, however they actually made an interesting adaptation, they did basically the same as japanese honeybees, they surrounded the queen and kept her warm in winter, which allowed them to continue spreading. If they can do that, I don't see how the can't cook the hornets as well. It appears they have a great ability in controlling the exact temperature of the hive.

akira28

A wasp in your house is nothing compared to a rhinoceros. You... You don't want that.

Nobody does.

you are so wrong. I could lead a rhinoceros out of the house. A rhino you can reason with. A bee you just hope they want to find the door more than they want to sting you.

You underestimate the africanized bees. Winter was supposed to stop them into spreading into North America, however they actually made an interesting adaptation, they did basically the same as japanese honeybees, they surrounded the queen and kept her warm in winter, which allowed them to continue spreading. If they can do that, I don't see how the can't cook the hornets as well. It appears they have a great ability in controlling the exact temperature of the hive.

That is interesting indeed. The thing about the hornets though is that you only get one shot, you have to take out the scout before it can drop its pheromone beacon otherwise the hornets win by swarming.

antonz

That is interesting indeed. The thing about the hornets though is that you only get one shot, you have to take out the scout before it can drop its pheromone beacon otherwise the hornets win by swarming.

Would be interesting to see. Another thing with the Africanized versus normal Honey Bee is their willingness to abandon the hive if its a bad enough situation. They might hit the oh shit button and just flee the hive if invaded by such a predator

I've only been stung by a bee once and it stung my earlobe. Completely unprovoked too, I was just minding my own business, walking to my car after a long day of work when suddenly I hear a loud buzzing. The left side of my face felt like it was on fire and my earlobe looked like a small, semi-filled water balloon for a few days.

I can't imagine what this poor guy must have looked like.
I am curious to see what he looked like though.

antonz

I've only been stung by a bee once and it stung my earlobe. Completely unprovoked too, I was just minding my own business, walking to my car after a long day of work when suddenly I hear a loud buzzing. The left side of my face felt like it was on fire and my earlobe looked like a small, semi-filled water balloon for a few days.

I can't imagine what this poor guy must have looked like.
I am curious to see what he looked like though.

Not this story but there was a man in Texas who was attacked and stung they estimated 1200 times. He managed to live.

They attacked his face. There is a video where he talks about them crawling up his nose into his ears and having to keep spitting them out as they swarmed his mouth.

hospital picture
San-Marcos-Bee-Attack.jpg

recovery period
es_bees_914_480x360.jpg

EVOL 100%

Okay seriously dude did you really have to post that

I mean, at least link the fucking pictures, Jesus. I did not have to see that

Rapstah

Just call them African bees or mixed bees or something else. "Africanized" sounds racially loaded. I am sure the biologists had a snicker when they coined the term.

But they're not African bees. If anything, calling them African bees is more racially loaded.

Go_Ly_Dow

viewed this thread before i went to sleep

first nightmare around 2am about a spider in my room woke me up in fear

second nightmare around 4am about bees/wasps chasing and stinging me constantly in a field

woke up in sweats.

fuck you .gif posters :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom