• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K UHD/Blu-ray/DVD Community Thread: Bringing the Theater Home!

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
So a weird thing happened as I put in GOTG2 to play on my Xbox one S, it started playing in 1080p. I was dumbfounded. Come to find out , all display settings in the Xbox settings we're reset. Not only that, 4K resolution wasn't even an option. I had to go in and manually reselect all the 4K settings.

Movie is unbelievably beautiful.

It was trying to get you to watch the definitive 3D version, Groovy. Yeah I just went there!

I'm kidding actually. I'm glad you 4K folks are finally getting Disney movies.

I'm kidding actually. I'm glad you 4K folks are finally getting Disney movies.

I realized the other day that the last Pirates movie is coming to 4k. So, we officially have a second Disney movie coming. Hopefully they keep it up, and we finally get that Force Awakens 4k I've been dreaming of.

Stanng243

There were rumors Moana would get one as well. I sure hope so. That movie is gorgeous already. I'd be so hyped to pick it in 4k.

Yeah, this is going to hurt my wallet even more. And I don't even have a 4k tv. I've just been buying the codes from people who don't want them to future proof myself. Plus I share my movies with a lot of family, and some of them do have 4k tvs. I'm still rocking a 10 year old 1080 tv.

Damn it. Amazon had the Sony X800 for $220 yesterday. Was gonna go to Best Buy today and have them price match. Now the price is back up to $245. Laaaaaame!

I watched the 4k hdr version of the 5th element. i don't think i ever noticed the different colors of light in this movie before. the purples stood out to me a lot more than i could remember in the past! color representation was fantastic.

Get the Oppo 205! Only $1300 for a great SACD player that also happens to play 4K UHD BRDs.

I have an X800. It's a competent 4K player which can play the formats you want as well as a bunch of audio/video media files well. But I only went with the X800 because I already have an Oppo 103D paired with it and that thing plays all of my music exclusively. It's a much better audio player than the X800 is.

Oof, way too expensive for me unfortunately.

Damn it. Amazon had the Sony X800 for $220 yesterday. Was gonna go to Best Buy today and have them price match. Now the price is back up to $245. Laaaaaame!

Son of a bitch.

brau

Need help making a choice. LG 55 B6, B7 or C7?

From what I understand B7 and C7 are exactly the same?

Money is not the issue. But 1k to 500 euros difference should be noticeable.

I looked into it from previous post and narrowed it down to those 3.

BobLoblaw

Banned
Need help making a choice. LG 55 B6, B7 or C7?

From what I understand B7 and C7 are exactly the same?

Money is not the issue. But 1k to 500 euros difference should be noticeable.

I looked into it from previous post and narrowed it down to those 3.
Apparently, the only real difference is cosmetic. I'm saving up for the 2018 equivalent of the C7, but you can probably save money and just go with the B7. https://youtu.be/3JIlhzhzYok

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Apparently, the only real difference is cosmetic. I'm saving up for the 2018 equivalent of the C7, but you can probably save money and just go with the B7. https://youtu.be/3JIlhzhzYok

cosmetic and sound. screen and processing is supposed to be identical.

My GotG2 shipped from AmazonUK. Says it'll arrive on Monday but hopefully it'll be here tomorrow.

Tempted by Fifth Element, sounds like a decent version

Do you think an Xbox One X will be a decent UHD player? Right now it seems the Philips BDP7501 plays nicely with my Projector in terms of passing HDR. It sounds like people have had issues getting HDR to work with the Xbox One S and my projector.

The Phillips player is pretty affordable as far as UHD players go, but not the most fully featured.

I don't have an Xbox One yet, so debating if I should save a couple hundred bucks on an UHD and just put it towards a One X, or if I just just get a dedicated UHD player and worry about getting an Xbox later.

BTails

Do you think an Xbox One X will be a decent UHD player? Right now it seems the Philips BDP7501 plays nicely with my Projector in terms of passing HDR. It sounds like people have had issues getting HDR to work with the Xbox One S and my projector.

I'm hoping so! I plan on upgradnig from my Xbox One (non-S), and not having a 4k player yet, I'd love for it to be a good one. Currently I only have 3 4k discs (Arrival, Star Trek Beyond, and Logan), but I'm buying 4k going forward. Plus, with more catalogue titles coming, I can't wait! Blade Runner is top of my list, and it'll be fantastic if Warner starts some 4k Kubrick restorations (ESPECIALLY 2001).

brau

cosmetic and sound. screen and processing is supposed to be identical.

My GotG2 shipped from AmazonUK. Says it'll arrive on Monday but hopefully it'll be here tomorrow.

Tempted by Fifth Element, sounds like a decent version

Alright. So I guess I'll go with the b7 is there is nothing really worth from the c7.

Also any recommendations on a sound bar to pair with this?

Westonian

My 25th 4K disc...

PZbskic.jpg

I never upgraded this from DVD to Blu-ray, so when the price finally dropped this week it was a no-brainer! I was pleasantly surprised to see it came with a slipcover that was devoid of any damage. That's a rarity from Amazon these days.

Dommel

The Phillips player is pretty affordable as far as UHD players go, but not the most fully featured.

I don't have an Xbox One yet, so debating if I should save a couple hundred bucks on an UHD and just put it towards a One X, or if I just just get a dedicated UHD player and worry about getting an Xbox later.

That's my reason for getting an X, to use it mainly as a UHD player for my LG E7.

Any reason why this wouldn't be a good idea, can't see myself getting a dedicated player for it.

Robot Pants

My 25th 4K disc...

PZbskic.jpg

I never upgraded this from DVD to Blu-ray, so when the price finally dropped this week it was a no-brainer! I was pleasantly surprised to see it came with a slipcover that was devoid of any damage. That's a rarity from Amazon these days.

How is it?
Is it worth 47 dollars? hahaha whhhyyy is it so expensive

edit: oh wait! its 25 bucks now! SOLD!

Westonian

How is it?
Is it worth 47 dollars? hahaha whhhyyy is it so expensive

Whoa! I definitely did not pay $47 for it! My wife would kill me! It dropped to $24 this week on Amazon, when before it was always hovering between $32-35.

I haven't watched it yet, but the reviews have been pretty glowing. Looks like Warner did a great job on the restoration and new 4K master.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Does the Xbox play 3D bluray?

I think so? I played it on an LG standalone UHD player.
I have a PS4 Pro and they work on that. They work with PSVR, too, but I've only watched Guardians on my projector.

Hex

Banned
Watching Guardians 2 in 4K and it really is a showcase piece.
I was lucky enough to catch a stash of the steelcase 4K that also has the 3D yesterday at Best Buy. Seriously makes me twitch like an addict to see what Disney can do

Son of a bitch.

They've been slowly lowering it all day. I checked it this afternoon and it had dropped a few bucks, then a few bucks more by the time I got to Best Buy so it was $238, now it is $235 an hour later. Weird shit.

That said, out with the fucking Xbox and in with the Sony:

It really does have a noticeably better looking picture. But, best of all, no more damn glitches.

Xbox gif that I posted yesterday:

3SVNPyt.gif

My same disc on the Sony:

zCoLdQF.gif

What's funny is that I'll probably never watch that movie again. But, once I discovered a second disc (an actually good movie) doing similar shit, that was enough for me to be done with it.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
They've been slowly lowering it all day. I checked it this afternoon and it had dropped a few bucks, then a few bucks more by the time I got to Best Buy so it was $138, now it is $135 an hour later. Weird shit.

It really does have a noticeably better looking picture. But, best of all, no more damn glitches.

3SVNPyt.gif

zCoLdQF.gif

What's funny is that I'll probably never watch that movie again. But, once I discovered a second disc (an actually good movie) doing similar shit, that was enough for me to be done with it.
I just looked at the Sony Employee Center store website and it's 187.49 for us... down from 299.99. So the Best Buy deal is way better. Dang.

EDIT - Just checked the Best Buy website and it's showing 249.99 now. How did you get it to be 135?

I just looked at the Sony Employee Center store website and it's 187.49 for us... down from 299.99. So the Best Buy deal is way better. Dang.

Fuck me. $2-- not $1--. I can't type numbers for shit. It was $238.

Fixed it.

EDIT - Just checked the Best Buy website and it's showing 249.99 now. How did you get it to be 135?

Price matched to Amazon. Last night Amazon had it down to $220. Then this morning when I checked it was $245. Then I checked later and it was $243, then $238 by the time I got to Best Buy about an hour ago. Now it's $235. So, they keep lowering the price. Anyone interested, keep watching, see how low it goes tonight.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck me. $2-- not $1--. I can't type numbers for shit. It was $238.

Fixed it.

Price matched to Amazon. Last night Amazon had it down to $220. Then this morning when I checked it was $245. Then I checked later and it was $243, then $238 by the time I got to Best Buy about an hour ago. Now it's $235. So, they keep lowering the price. Anyone interested, keep watching, see how low it goes tonight.
Ah ok, that makes waaaay more sense, haha.

They've been slowly lowering it all day. I checked it this afternoon and it had dropped a few bucks, then a few bucks more by the time I got to Best Buy so it was $238, now it is $235 an hour later. Weird shit.

3SVNPyt.gif

zCoLdQF.gif

Have people reported similar problems on Xbox one S? I wonder if you have a laser problem

Amazon upgraded my Blade Runner set to release day delivery.

I agree re: dedicated players but I don't have room in my rack for one. My eventually retire the PS3 to make room. Sooner than later if the X1X doesn't fix bugs the S has with BD playback.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Amazon upgraded my Blade Runner set to release day delivery.

I agree re: dedicated players but I don't have room in my rack for one. My eventually retire the PS3 to make room. Sooner than later if the X1X doesn't fix bugs the S has with BD playback.
That's what I plan on doing. I'll eventually get a 4K TV to replace my Samsung Plasma then remove the PS3 from my unit and replace it with a 4K Blu Ray player. I still haven't upgraded my PS4 to a PS4 Pro yet, either. That reminds me that I need to check my Pioneer receiver to see if it can support the 4K pass through.

What a miserable pile of movies for their two free deal:

Does Sony not put out good movies? I chose Passengers and Magnificent Seven, then added Labyrinth for $14, so that was worth it at least.

The player is physically too long to fit on my shelves. Not sure what I'm gonna do, but gonna have to do some rearranging of the living room now. That was honestly one of the biggest things keeping me from making the jump from the Xbox sooner. But, I'd had enough and was willing to do it now.

Have people reported similar problems on Xbox one S? I wonder if you have a laser problem

There are plenty of people out there with issues, but mostly freezing/not loading 4k discs. I didn't really find anyone else with the exact same issues I was enjoying out there on the internet. So, I hopefully had an extra bad one. I have a good number of movies, and Batman and Arrival are the only two I had issues with. They were at the same spots every time, and both discs work fine on different players (I had already tried before getting this one).

I would still not necessarily steer people away from an XBox. It is a gamble with others having some issues, but you get it and test it, and if you have issues you send it back. Outside of that, it looks not quiet as good picture quality-wise. But, it's nothing huge AT ALL. If you are more into gaming on it than I was, I'd still say it's the best choice. If you are mainly using it for 4k, I would look elsewhere. As I have now done.

Westonian

Also worth noting, the One S is not good at scaling 1080p or 480p discs up to 4K compared to pretty much every dedicated player.

I wonder if your Xbox is having a HDCP handshaking issue? Don't know if that would cause those issues, especially if it's happening in the exact same place every time

I wonder if your Xbox is having a HDCP handshaking issue? Don't know if that would cause those issues, especially if it's happening in the exact same place every time

I don't really have a clue, but any time I've dealt with HDCP issues in the past it has always resulted in no signal whatsoever. Never seen anything like that as a result.

What a miserable pile of movies for their two free deal:

Does Sony not put out good movies? I chose Passengers and Magnificent Seven, then added Labyrinth for $14, so that was worth it at least.

The player is physically too long to fit on my shelves. Not sure what I'm gonna do, but gonna have to do some rearranging of the living room now. That was honestly one of the biggest things keeping me from making the jump from the Xbox sooner. But, I'd had enough and was willing to do it now.

There are plenty of people out there with issues, but mostly freezing/not loading 4k discs. I didn't really find anyone else with the exact same issues I was enjoying out there on the internet. So, I hopefully had an extra bad one. I have a good number of movies, and Batman and Arrival are the only two I had issues with. They were at the same spots every time, and both discs work fine on different players (I had already tried before getting this one).

I would still not necessarily steer people away from an XBox. It is a gamble with others having some issues, but you get it and test it, and if you have issues you send it back. Outside of that, it looks not quiet as good picture quality-wise. But, it's nothing huge AT ALL. If you are more into gaming on it than I was, I'd still say it's the best choice. If you are mainly using it for 4k, I would look elsewhere. As I have now done.

I just saw another thread that also highlighted the problems others were having as well.

deafmedal

Thanks for the heads up on the Sony x800, may order tonight or even price match at Best Buy. I've had multiple issues with the 1 S like outputting at 1080 and audio glitches out the wazoo on some titles and a few video stutters. I haven't even played a game on it, bought it as a player primarily and am not impressed.

Plus using the controller as a remote is awful 😝

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I watched the 4k hdr version of the 5th element. i don't think i ever noticed the different colors of light in this movie before. the purples stood out to me a lot more than i could remember in the past! color representation was fantastic.

Watch Sparks on Netflix. Specifically look at the guy's belt carabiner. Simplest demonstration of why hdr is more than just color. It's information.

torontoml

Any UP970 owners here who are happy with it? I've about had it with the One S.
I guess it depends on manufacture date, mine from April 2017 ended up artifacting and freezing on the first and only two movies I tried. So I took it back. I guess from others May 2017 and forward build dates have worked fine.

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
I realized the other day that the last Pirates movie is coming to 4k. So, we officially have a second Disney movie coming. Hopefully they keep it up, and we finally get that Force Awakens 4k I've been dreaming of.

I legit forgot all about the new Pirates movie. Just checked Best Buy and it looks like there won't be a 3D/4K combo for this one.

I wish. I love 3D :(

Hunt down a copy while you can. I can see this one getting pricey down the road. Sucks that the only way to get the 3D version was through a limited Best Buy release. It should've been bundled with the standard 4K release as well.

I legit forgot all about the new Pirates movie. Just checked Best Buy and it looks like there won't be a 3D/4K combo for this one.

Hunt down a copy while you can. I can see this one getting pricey down the road. Sucks that the only way to get the 3D version was through a limited Best Buy release. It should've been bundled with the standard 4K release as well.

Good call. I still have a beautiful Panasonic pt50ut50

mrklaw

MrArseFace
My UK GotG2 turned up today. Will try and watch tomorrow

Edit: damn no digital version!? And no 3D bluray

Top Bottom