• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K UHD/Blu-ray/DVD Community Thread: Bringing the Theater Home!

It was at like $225 this morning, so it has continued to drop like $2 at a time for the last two days. Weird stuff. How low will it go!?

Guess they're in a small price war with a retailer. Just picked one up at BB. I was still on the fence until I noticed the store also had the Bowfinger blu in stock. Grabbed the last copy.

Is guardians worth picking up? I didnt love the movie but is the 4k hdr presentation top tier? Might be fun to watch with the girlfriend as she hasnt seen it yet

Is guardians worth picking up? I didnt love the movie but is the 4k hdr presentation top tier? Might be fun to watch with the girlfriend as she hasnt seen it yet

It looks fucking amazing.

I actually wound up loving it too. I hadn't seen it before buying it on 4k. Glad it clicked with me more than some of you.

Hex

Banned

Was going to wait, glad that I didn't.
Gorgeous all around , will probably become a reference piece for you

Blu-ray.com's review of Blade Runner 4K: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Blade-Runner-4K-Blu-ray/181637/#Review

Warner's UHD of the Final Cut brings some of the most influential visuals in movie history to the home theater screen with a focus and intensity unmatched by any but the finest theatrical presentations. It's one of the handful of discs to date that truly delivers on the promises of 4K. Watching Blade Runner on this disc is like seeing the film anew. Everything you remember seeing is there—and more.

They also make mention of the confusion about what discs are included.
Consistent with the putative focus on the Final Cut, the UHD set was not supposed to include the 2007 set's disc 3, with three earlier versions of the film. But when reviewers opened their screeners sent in advance of release, they discovered that disc 3 had indeed been included, while disc 4, which was supposed to be a DVD with extras, had been dropped. Warner has announced that this is an error, which should be corrected by the time retailers receive final product. In the meantime, though, the mistake has provoked both confusion among fans and renewed scrutiny of the UHD team's inexplicable omissions from the set.

Anyone else pick up the Baywatch UHD?

For some reason when I try to play the extended version, the Dolby Atmos track keeps getting off in its timing. It hitches in the same exact place. I'm using an Xbox One S, so I was wondering if the Xbox is the issue or something else. I popped in the regular Blu-ray and the exact same thing happens with the Dolby Atmos track. The descriptive audio and foreign language tracks seem fine.

I started up the regular version of the movie on Blu-ray and UHD and it plays fine with Atmos. I don't know if this particular disk has an issue, if its the Xbox, or if they just screwed up the Extended edition Atmos encoding.

If anyone else can give it a try I'd appreciate it. I don't have a 2nd blu ray player.

Huh. The x800 makes my near-decade-old Sony receiver's display note it is playing a DVDA audio stream. That fascinates me more than it should.

Enjoying the player so far. Played some audio discs last night. Found out VUDU has an eight device limit per account so I had to disable some old phones and a tablet.

Huh. The x800 makes my near-decade-old Sony receiver's display note it is playing a DVDA audio stream. That fascinates me more than it should.

Enjoying the player so far. Played some audio discs last night. Found out VUDU has an eight device limit per account so I had to disable some old phones and a tablet.

Yeah, I run into that on the regular, since I share my VUDU account with my entire family

Robot Pants

I'm so pissed I missed out on the Guardians 2 4k/3D steelbook from bestbuy.
The shit was literally in my cart and as I was checking out, shipping turned into "pickup only"
then out of stock.

Neith

Banned
The Blade Runner set is utter bullshit on 4K. Fucking DVDs? Please. And then they issue the SAME low bitrate mess job of the The Final Cut HDDVD era bluraywith the remastered 4K disc? What a shoddy job of this.

They could have easily given us the old Blurays of the other cuts and remastered the actual Final Cut Bluray. In fact some of the early ones did have this. Like HOLY COW man way to fuck this release up. Weak Sauce. Will definitely wait for the 2049 collection on 4K it will be inevitable.

Was actually really looking forward to a higher bitrate remastered 1080 disc as I do not have 4K yet. Well to hell with that. This release is also very expensive. For one disc I need. Gross.

J_Viper

Not sure if I should buy Get Out and Split on sale, or wait for the 4K versions....

The shit was literally in my cart and as I was checking out, shipping turned into "pickup only"
then out of stock.

Don't feel bad, The cover art is terrible

Robot Pants

Not sure if I should buy Get Out and Split on sale, or wait for the 4K versions....

Don't feel bad, The cover art is terrible

I just want 4k/3d in one package. It's so ass backwards that they just dont package it all together. It's getting so annoying

StMeph

Just picked up the X800 player with the deals going around despite Black Friday coming up soonish. My only gripe with it is not having Dolby Vision, so it feels not totally future proof. I was expecting to get an Xbox One S as my 4K player, but everyone's comments pushed me away before I pulled the trigger.

The list of free movies Sony's throwing in looks like total trash, though. Is there ANYTHING worth picking?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man

huh, fascinating. Like Marty Chin I keep looking at this one longingly as a cheap no waiting option. Really would prefer a laser though. Love my Epson 5010, its served me quite well.

Just picked up a LG 65UJ6300 anyone have any thoughts on this? Its not going to be a critical viewing tv, going on the patio outside, but it is going to be my first 4k tv.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
The Blade Runner set is utter bullshit on 4K. Fucking DVDs? Please. And then they issue the SAME low bitrate mess job of the The Final Cut HDDVD era bluraywith the remastered 4K disc? What a shoddy job of this.

They could have easily given us the old Blurays of the other cuts and remastered the actual Final Cut Bluray. In fact some of the early ones did have this. Like HOLY COW man way to fuck this release up. Weak Sauce. Will definitely wait for the 2049 collection on 4K it will be inevitable.

Was actually really looking forward to a higher bitrate remastered 1080 disc as I do not have 4K yet. Well to hell with that. This release is also very expensive. For one disc I need. Gross.
Well then, what's the over/under on Batman Begins also reusing the low bitrate 1080p BD with the 4k disc? Or The Dark Knight with the IMAX DMR 35mm scenes intact?

New002

So I was at Best Buy this weekend and I was trying to decide between Mad Max 3D or 4k (have an OLED C6) and after some googling opted for the 3D release. Holy shiz am I glad I did. I read that the movie was filmed with 3D in mind, even though it wasn't shot in 3D, and it shows. What a wonderful way to experience Mad Max.

While watching it I remembered that I had seen the 3D version years ago on a friend's projector, but came away not thinking much of it apparently. This time it was a real treat though. I highly recommend it, especially if you happen to have one of the 3D capable LG OLEDs.

Blade Runner out of stock. Fuck

then out of stock.

i had one ready for pickup but couldnt get to my best buy location due to weather (TX).

Westonian

Blade Runner out of stock. Fuck.

I think Warner must be slow on the distribution, because usually I'll see at least a few copies in store, but there are none at all in the state of New Mexico.

UPS just arrived at my office!

CexKtg7.jpg

Awwwww yiss!

Blade Runner is today? I thought it was next week. My Best Buy didn't have it in anyway. The location near my work is the worst.

Edit: Neither Amazon nor Best Buy even list the 4k Blade Runner. Is it not getting a release here?

Westonian

Blade Runner is today? I thought it was next week. My Best Buy didn't have it in anyway. The location near my work is the worst.

Edit: Neither Amazon nor Best Buy even list the 4k Blade Runner. Is it not getting a release here?

I don't think many Best Buys got their allotment yet. Amazon had some, but have sold out. I bet you'll see them in store later today or later this week.

Rocket786

I haven't really posted in here, but thought I'd chime in on my favorite UHD discs.

I'm sure everyone agrees but Planet Earth II is a sight to behold. I've found myself just playing an episode at night randomly to marvel at the quality of it all. It is the showcase that everyone with a 4K HDR TV should have.

As far as movies, I've seen a lot of UHD discs with having a subscription to 3blurayrentals.com, but seeing John Wick 2 actually made me go out and buy the disc. The HDR is simply sublime. It's reference quality material. I'd recommend Planet Earth II and John Wick 2 in every 4K HDR TV owner's library!

Stanng243

Best buy has it listed. You can get it for shipping, but it won't show up until Oct 11.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/blade-...-blu-ray-blu-ray-2007/6036100.p?skuId=6036100

I'm just going to try and find a digital copy to buy so I can see it before the next movie comes out. I've never seen the whole thing.

Westonian

Well this might explain the case of the missing Blade Runner discs...

I opened my copy at work at the discs are as follows:

Blade Runner Final Cut 4K
Blade Runner Final Cut BRD (labeled Disc 1)
Dangerous Days DVD (labeled Disc 2)
Blade Runner Theatrical Cut, Intl Cut, Director's Cut BRD (labeled Disc 3)

That Disc 3 shouldn't be in the package, and instead we're missing the announced bonus features disc which was to include:

Disc 4 – Blade Runner Bonus Disc 2
· The Electric Dreamer: Remembering Philip K. Dick
· Sacrificial Sheep: The Novel vs. the Film
· Philip K. Dick: The Blade Runner Interviews
· Signs of the Times: Graphic Design
· Fashion Forward: Wardrobe & Styling
· Screen Tests: Rachael and Pris
· The Light That Burns: Remembering Jordan Cronenweth
· Deleted & Alternate Scenes
· 1982 Promotional Featurettes
· Trailers and TV Spots
· Promoting Dystopia: Rendering the Poster Art
· Deck-a-Rep: The True Nature of Rick Deckard
· Nexus Generation: Fans and Filmmakers

So Warner probably realized the eff-up and are shipping corrected copies. They are probably going to have to ship replacement discs out to the rest of us. If I get to keep the additional cuts Blu-ray, then I'll have the definitive collection!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
In the uk there seems to be two options - a 2 disc and a 4 disc version, with the 4 disc being a big box, lobby cards, draft screenplay etc. Not sure I want all that but I do want the special bonus features as I don’t have a bluray anymore and I've never seen the documentary about it.

That Disc 3 shouldn't be in the package, and instead we're missing the announced bonus features disc which was to include:

· Trailers and TV Spots

So Warner probably realized the eff-up and are shipping corrected copies. They are probably going to have to ship replacement discs out to the rest of us. If I get to keep the additional cuts Blu-ray, then I'll have the definitive collection!

Yup.

They had already said the retail version would be different. I thought that was a bit weird since the review copies, this late, would most likely be the retail versions. We're probably looking at a recall/repackage going on.

Those of you who got one consider yourself lucky. This explains the lack of stock more than lot of the other reasons I'm seeing.

I forgot to mention that I am in Canada. .

filth. The 480p of nations

(
moving in with you. see you soon
)

· Trailers and TV Spots

Good info. Thanks for sharing. What a mess by WB

· Trailers and TV Spots

Sounds like a big mess that might end up working out in our favor, huh?

I guess it depends on the recall. A lot of the time, they don't actually recall anything, you keep the mistaken disc and they send you a new one. That would be great. If it's a situation in which they require the wrong disc to be returned, then people would have to make choices. I've experienced both. I'd probably keep the wrong disc in that case.

My copy is out for delivery right now from Amazon so I'm pretty likely to receive the wrong disc I think, which works for me. It seems to be out of stock already at multiple retailers which doesn't seem normal so I'm guessing they already caught on to the mistake and are working on it.

I mean, it's annoying but nowhere NEAR as annoying as Dangerous Days not getting a high-def disc.

Did De Lauzirika even make it in a res higher than standard? I know a lot of extras are sometimes stuck at standard def because it lowered the cost of production and a lot of "extras" are pretty constrained by budgeting as it is.

(although I think the LOTR extras are all standard because they simply just didn't future-proof the material? I might be wrong there)

Stanng243

I mean, everybody already owns the 30th Anniversary set anyway, right?

I mean, it's annoying but nowhere NEAR as annoying as Dangerous Days not getting a high-def disc.

You sir are wrong. I've never owned the movie, let alone seen the whole thing. I've watched parts before, but I was never interested enough to finish it.

You sir are wrong. I've never owned the movie, let alone seen the whole thing. I've watched parts before, but I was never interested enough to finish it.

I wasn't being literal.

Anyhow, virtually everything in this set has already been released in high-def before except this amazing, 3.5 hour documentary, which they are yet again shoveling in as a DVD so yeah, I think that's bullshit compared to any of the other decisions including leaving off the workprint.

FYI my set showed up from Amazon like five minutes ago. Yeah, it's got the theatrical cut variations instead of the extras disc.

So the 4K release won't have the best cut of the film (the workprint)

Huh.

Why do you think the workprint is the best? I'm not going to read your response until after I've watched this 4k disk and I get online and read about the different cuts. But, I'm curious.

I saw some unknown version of it over a decade ago when it first came to DVD. And I fell asleep. So, I'm going in pretty blind.

Top Bottom