• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

HiResDes

LCfiner said:
I'll pipe in, I guess.

I owned the triple.fi's as well and they were really clear and the detail was amazing. however, I was more of a fan of the Westone 3's as they had a bit more bass and the lower end of the midrange felt a bit more pronounced. it was a less accurate than the triple.fi's but i thought it was more engaging.

oh, and the triple.fi's look kinda ridiculous on a person since they stick straight out of your head. looks like a sci-fi prop.
That's nothing try wearing a pair of Portapro's around everywhere for two years.

LCfiner

I kinda dig the portapro. :)

maybe I just have a higher tolerance for odd design when it's an over the head thing and not in the ear.

nitewulf

swoon said:
anyone know of another transport with usb and at least one optical that can output to 75ohms bnc?

m2tech evo is the only one i can find and it seems like there should be more, but everthing seems to be single input/output...
converters?

Bel Canto:
http://www.stereophile.com/digitalprocessors/bel_canto_usb_link_2496_usb-spdif_converter

Bravo:
http://www.audiophileproducts.com/usb-to-spdif

Hagerman:
http://www.hagtech.com/hagusb.html

Everyone seems to be going crazy over this one though, and it's elegant, everything is in the cable itself:

Halide Deisgn - Bridge
http://www.halidedesign.com/bridge/

1stStrike

Banned
Alucrid said:
Just don't order from your BFF Demitri. I had a pleasant experience with Bugden Audio. They're a official retailer for 'em. Shipping was a tad on the slow side, but nothing awful.

I already got it planned out for me. Hunt down ATH Ck-10s, then IE8s or perhaps those Weston 4s. Of course this is after a bunch of other shit too...so this might happen in a year or so. :lol

It looks like they're a little more expensive and don't have much in the way of stock either =\

How can Fischer hope to compete if you can't fucking buy their products?

swoon

Multi in multi out converters. So the evo and bravo are the only ones that fit the bill from what I can find.

I need USB to Bnc and optical spdif to Bnc. I'm willing to trade Bnc for coaxial RCA

1stStrike

Banned
So, my Linearossa W1 portable amp got here today. It's even smaller then what I thought it'd be. Pretty cool.

I dug out my *coughs* Bose ear buds *cough cough* (I bought these because I was desperate in South Korea and there was nothing else around at the time).

So anyway, I can already tell a difference. These ear buds are rather flat on their own, but this Linearossa is doing a great job of accentuating the mids and highs which were more recessed before. I'm definitely getting more of a "spacey" feeling then I was before as well.

I'd say that, so far, for $85.00 it was well worth it. I think this should be added to the OP! It's not as well known, but think it's a good alternative to the E5/E7.

It'll be interesting to see how a better pair of ear buds sounds with it :)

Antiochus

Budget: $70-80

Requirement: Able to withstand great levels of abuse. Falling down stairwells, stepping on cord, crashing from desk to floor, etc.

What will be the most durable choice that can last 4-5 years minimum?

Yeah, so I have these on the way:

31Ai3O2jEUL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Sennheiser HD 202

Any good?

At $30 I figure I can't go wrong. Using them as a stopgap as my $160 Bose are falling apart. Done with Bose, seriously.

I ordered my first desktop amp yesterday, the Schiit Asgard (yes, shit). Unfortunately it's on backorder, so I have to wait a few weeks for it to ship. It should be a fun improvement, though.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
NEOPARADIGM said:

Sennheiser HD 202

Any good?

At $30 I figure I can't go wrong. Using them as a stopgap as my $160 Bose are falling apart. Done with Bose, seriously.
I personally loved the sound and bass from them.

ty_hot

Dear GAF,

recommend me a cheap (less than $15) earphone. Going to use it in my notebook and in my mp3 player (which I'm still going to buy, so if there is any good and cheap one that comes with a decent earphone, recommend it too!)! As I wont use it for running, it doesnt matter if its not in-ear ;)

Muy agradecido

ty_hot said:
Dear GAF,

recommend me a cheap (less than $15) earphone. Going to use it in my notebook and in my mp3 player (which I'm still going to buy, so if there is any good and cheap one that comes with a decent earphone, recommend it too!)! As I wont use it for running, it doesnt matter if its not in-ear ;)

Muy agradecido
I'm kind of clueless under $15. Maybe these?

HiResDes

ty_hot said:
Dear GAF,

Muy agradecido
Dude you can find MEElectronics M9's for like $15, and they are worth the extra bucks if you can't.

Another option would be the Koss KSC75's or the Soundmagic PL20's

Edit: Oh and I'd just like to say you can still find quality stuff at $15, but yeah at $10 not so much.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
You'd be better off finding a friend who has something decent that they never use anymore because they upgraded and saying "hey dude, I'll give you $10 for those" because at those prices, buying new, you'd be getting the same shit no matter what so only your personal preference of form factor would matter.

Though, JVC and Sony are probably the go-to brands for super cheap shit.

ty_hot

HiResDes said:
Dude you can find MEElectronics M9's for like $15, and they are worth the extra bucks if you can't.

Another option would be the KSC75's or the Soundmagic PL20's

Edit: Oh and I'd just like to say you can still find quality stuff at $15, but yeah at $10 not so much.

And nobody here has a decent earphone. And I dont want to spend much more than 15-20 because i still have to pay the shipping (which is huge, sometimes I think Brazil is another planet due to the shipping people usually charge).

edit. damn, you edited your post while I was quoting it!

thanks for the help

NEOPARADIGM said:

Sennheiser HD 202

Any good?

They hurt my ears after wearing them a long period of time, but the sound is great. Especially for the price.

pleased to say my E9 is making a difference in my D7000.

I can also say that the HD650s are most certainly going back. the muted treble is just not going to do it for me. after listening to Denons for awhile, the HD650s feel truly muffled. in a bad way.

Power is not the issue; I think it's just the targets they wanted to hit are different. They do everything well, though. Just too soft in the treble for my taste. at least, thus far.

LCfiner

Dreams-Visions said:
pleased to say my E9 is making a difference in my D7000.

I can also say that the HD650s are most certainly going back. the muted treble is just not going to do it for me. after listening to Denons for awhile, the HD650s feel truly muffled. in a bad way.

Power is not the issue; I think it's just the targets they wanted to hit are different. They do everything well, though. Just too soft in the treble for my taste. at least, thus far.

This is good to hear. I just ordered an E9 to compliment my "in the mail" E7 and I am also very, very close to pulling the trigger on some D5000s. (I'm also considering performing some of the markl mods on them)

LCfiner said:
This is good to hear. I just ordered an E9 to compliment my "in the mail" E7 and I am also very, very close to pulling the trigger on some D5000s. (I'm also considering performing some of the markl mods on them)
I'd wait on the Markl mods until you see what you think of the default sound. I thought they are fantastic right out of the box, with a beautiful warm flavor.

1stStrike

Banned
Here's some pics of the amp. I tried to make the first one fancy like all of those pics on head-fi lol

163017_493058528158_514678158_6100389_6217054_n.jpg

163665_493058658158_514678158_6100390_3286032_n.jpg

164046_493055893158_514678158_6100369_5115795_n.jpg

Really liking it so far. The Bose's still don't seal well, but this amp actually makes them sound pretty good, so that's an improvement for sure. I'm just testing it now to see how long the battery lasts.

LCfiner

Dreams-Visions said:
I'd wait on the Markl mods until you see what you think of the default sound. I thought they are fantastic right out of the box, with a beautiful warm flavor.

oh definitely. after reading about these cans a lot, I figure I'll burn them in for around 100 hours before deciding if i want to do anything with them.

I like the warm, velvety sound of the ESW9s and the denons seem like they'll be that but.. more.

LCfiner said:
oh definitely. after reading about these cans a lot, I figure I'll burn them in for around 100 hours before deciding if i want to do anything with them.

I like the warm, velvety sound of the ESW9s and the denons seem like they'll be that but.. more.
if you keep teh ESW9s, it'll only be because they're more portable.

Alucrid

Banned
1stStrike said:
Arg. Got paid today... which ear buds to buy...

Bose.

edit: Wait, these kind of posts don't work without smilies.

Were you actually asking or was the post merely you musing what to do?

1stStrike

Banned
Alucrid said:
Bose.

edit: Wait, these kind of posts don't work without smilies.

Were you actually asking or was the post merely you musing what to do?

I'm stuck between the Victor FX500 and FX700 at the moment. My main question is, is the over double the price for the FX700's really worth it?

Oh and as you can see by my pic above I already have the crappy Bose ear buds with the horrid seal :p

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So, I bought these early last year: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001BS4YAM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The sound seems decent enough, but I think the USB amp that comes with it is just a piece of shit. At lower volumes there is terrible distortion and sound artifacts that can become extremely distracting. Also, the thing will freak out sometimes and let off an extremely high-pitched noise until I turn off the amp and turn it back on again.

I'm looking to get a replacement. I intend to use headphones mostly for gaming on my PC or listening to music. What is pretty much the best option in the $50 - $100 range (preferably available on Amazon)?

The ones I bought are supposedly 5.1 surround sound, but I either couldn't get that to work, or my ears just can't really tell the different, so I'd be just fine with some stereo headphones.

Thanks in advance for any good advice!

1stStrike

Banned
Bah, fuck it. I guess if I'm going to buy ear buds I might as well buy them once.

Bought the FX700's from seyo.

Total:
-------
Payment method: PayPal Pro: ExpressCheckout
Delivery method: EMS Japan Post
Subtotal: USD 339.80

Shipping cost: USD 12.00
Payment method surcharge: USD 17.59
Total: USD 369.39

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
NEOPARADIGM said:

Sennheiser HD 202

Any good?

No, not good.

Koss Porta Pro will murder them.

SleazyC

1stStrike said:
Bah, fuck it. I guess if I'm going to buy ear buds I might as well buy them once.

Bought the FX700's from seyo.
Would be awesome if you could review these when you get them. I had the FX500's and the only thing that really disappointed me was the very recessed mids. Using some sony tips recommended on head-fi helped out a lot but didn't make the problem go away. Really interested in hearing how much the FX700 fixes the FX500's flaws. The bass on the FX500's was so awesome, it was great being able to distinguish the different textures of bass in a song.

1stStrike

Banned
SleazyC said:
Would be awesome if you could review these when you get them. I had the FX500's and the only thing that really disappointed me was the very recessed mids. Using some sony tips recommended on head-fi helped out a lot but didn't make the problem go away. Really interested in hearing how much the FX700 fixes the FX500's flaws. The bass on the FX500's was so awesome, it was great being able to distinguish the different textures of bass in a song.

Sure thing. I haven't heard the FX500's so I won't be able to compare the, but I can give my thoughts based on just the FX700's alone. I'll do it both unamped and amped as well.

Edit: Next question. I'm told the FX700's are eartip sensitive. Any recommendations on eartips I should get for them?

The 700's were the phones I wanted to get from the start (but instead ended up with the DMM's and the RE262) because the bass on those is supposed to be mindboggling. They're supposed to hit harder than the 500's which already are practically ear rattling. They are supposed to be very fun phones and address all of the flaws of the 500, so they have better mids, not as strident treble, and the micro detail is supposed to much improved. You're gonna love them. I have good luck with the Sony hybrid tips and the MEElectronics M9 dual flange with the 500s. You should start with those.

How are the Sennheiser HD 515s? I'm wondering if I should just buckle and spend 40 bucks more and get the 555s instead. Is the difference enough to warrant the investment? These will be going out of a Soundblaster X-Fi card on my main desktop btw.

HiResDes

CF_Fighter said:
How are the Sennheiser HD 515s? I'm wondering if I should just buckle and spend 40 bucks more and get the 555s instead. Is the difference enough to warrant the investment? These will be going out of a Soundblaster X-Fi card on my main desktop btw.

If you can deal with semi-open cans I'd recommend getting the Superlux HD 681's for around the same price

samusx

Banned
Audio Technica ATH-700
audio-technica-ath-pro700-portable-headphone.jpg

Had these for about two years. Love them, loud, powerful and damn clean.

Shure SRH-DJ750
shuresrh750djprofessionaldjheadphones1.jpg

Got these just after Christmas and they are great. Super comfortable, ultra crisp and clear sound. Not as loud as the cans above but will be able to be pushed further.

1stStrike

Banned
Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
The 700's were the phones I wanted to get from the start (but instead ended up with the DMM's and the RE262) because the bass on those is supposed to be mindboggling. They're supposed to hit harder than the 500's which already are practically ear rattling. They are supposed to be very fun phones and address all of the flaws of the 500, so they have better mids, not as strident treble, and the micro detail is supposed to much improved. You're gonna love them. I have good luck with the Sony hybrid tips and the MEElectronics M9 dual flange with the 500s. You should start with those.

I don't listen to A LOT of really bassy music though, so I'm not too worried about it. I just like to be able to actually feel the bass, and to date no ear buds I've owned have been able to do that for me. So, I have high hopes for these. I'll pick up those tips (hopefully they're on amazon)

HiResDes said:
Comply Foam Tips would bring the bass down a bit if you end up finding it too overpowering.

Good call on those too in case I want to dampen it a bit. I'll pick up all of these and compare them to see which I like best.

Edit: I couldn't find the MEElectronics M9 tips on amazon so I just ordered the earbuds which come with the tips. They were only $17.99 lol.

Since I'm on a buying spree I bought a 128 GB SSD hdd for my new laptop too, which knocks that out. I'm now completely equipped with everything I need. All I'll be buying over the coming months is games (2 or 3) and food. Gotta get my passport and put a couple grand away for my trip to Laos later this year (that's only about 4 pay checks).

1stStrike said:
I don't listen to A LOT of really bassy music though, so I'm not too worried about it. I just like to be able to actually feel the bass, and to date no ear buds I've owned have been able to do that for me. So, I have high hopes for these. I'll pick up those tips (hopefully they're on amazon)

Good call on those too in case I want to dampen it a bit. I'll pick up all of these and compare them to see which I like best.

Edit: I couldn't find the MEElectronics M9 tips on amazon so I just ordered the earbuds which come with the tips. They were only $17.99 lol.

Since I'm on a buying spree I bought a 128 GB SSD hdd for my new laptop too, which knocks that out. I'm now completely equipped with everything I need. All I'll be buying over the coming months is games (2 or 3) and food. Gotta get my passport and put a couple grand away for my trip to Laos later this year (that's only about 4 pay checks).

Oh... You'll FEEL it all right. The RE262's are amazing, but I do miss that sensation that I get from the DDM's and the 500's pumping bass into my brain. As far as I know, the 700's have the best bass out of any available iem/canalphone in terms of impact.

And I'd cancel the order for the MEE phones, cause you can order the tips online from their site separately. They were about 5 bucks I believe.

HiResDes said:
Don't pay over 70 bucks for them...They're overpriced.
That's £100 less than what they go for. I'd be pretty lucky get them for that price, no?

Any other suggestions for in and around the £150-70 price range?

Top Bottom