• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

1stStrike

Banned
Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
Oh... You'll FEEL it all right. The RE262's are amazing, but I do miss that sensation that I get from the DDM's and the 500's pumping bass into my brain. As far as I know, the 700's have the best bass out of any available iem/canalphone in terms of impact.

And I'd cancel the order for the MEE phones, cause you can order the tips online from their site separately. They were about 5 bucks I believe.

Haha, damn, missed that. It's too late now, amazon is already preparing them for shipment. I've got free 2 day shipping through amazon prime so that shit goes out quick once I've ordered it :p

HiResDes

Kylehimself said:
That's £100 less than what they go for. I'd be pretty lucky get them for that price, no?

Any other suggestions for in and around the £150-70 price range?
There's some shit in the OP. Audio Technica M50's are probably going to be your best bet, so you can join the gaf army...Or you could save up 20 more euro and cop the TMA-1's

1ststrike, do a hilarious M9 Vs. FX700 earphone comparison

Alucrid

Banned
HiResDes said:
There's some shit in the OP. Audio Technica M50's are probably going to be your best bet, so you can join the gaf army...Or you could save up 20 more euro and cop the TMA-1's

At least the M9s will win in accessories.

HiResDes

Hahaha, word. Especially if they accidentally ship him M9P's

Edit: Threi he just wanted the tips

Edit 2: Can't wait to see the meltdown if the Bose win out

1stStrike

Banned
HiResDes said:

lol, the ultimate show down.

Bose vs M9 vs FX700's.

Get your tickets now!

popcorn.gif

big_laugh_lol.gif

Edit:

Threi said:

I did, and that's exactly what I ordered. It's not just the tips, it's ear buds too :p

Kylehimself said:
What's the verdict on Beats Solo HD? Thinking of picking some up.

I listened to them at Best Buy (which you probably have too). I thought the bass was pretty good, but everything else sounded really muddy and gross.

1stStrike said:
lol, the ultimate show down.

Bose vs M9 vs FX700's.

Get your tickets now!

popcorn.gif

big_laugh_lol.gif

Edit:

I did, and that's exactly what I ordered. It's not just the tips, it's ear buds too :p

lol, that's the saddest shootout ever, might as well throw in apple earbuds to complete the farce :l

1stStrike

Banned
I'm sure you're on the edge of your seat awaiting this ultimate comparison :p

What I'll do is break out the M9's, actually listen to them for a while, then listen with the Bose's, compare THOSE two, and then break out the FX700's with the stock ear tips and compare THOSE to the Bose.

This way it's somewhat fair :p

After that's out of the way I'll start interchanging ear tips on the FX700's and see what suits my fancy.

Jeramii

Banned
hey guys. i've gone through this thread a few times and i'm having a tough time deciding what kinda stuff i should buy.

i plan to purchase some HD555's because that is a hell of a deal and reviews are great.

but i'm also looking for some earbuds/inear head phones that are a fairly inexpensive but give good quality across the board.

i saw someone posted these (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...lickDeals-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA&Item=N82E16826735014) earlier in the thread and they look like they may do the job for cheap in ear headphones i keep in my pocket to throw on at random to use with my evo and still get good quality. but i'm honestly not sure.

my biggest problem is i've never been able to find a pair of in ear headphones that work great for me. i've tried shure, bose (yeah sorry guys, this was a few years ago. i got them for super cheap with an employee discount), and a few other brands. none seem to fit right, they always fall out of my ears.

1stStrike

Banned
Jeramii said:
hey guys. i've gone through this thread a few times and i'm having a tough time deciding what kinda stuff i should buy.

i plan to purchase some HD555's because that is a hell of a deal and reviews are great.

but i'm also looking for some earbuds/inear head phones that are a fairly inexpensive but give good quality across the board.

i saw someone posted these (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...lickDeals-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA&Item=N82E16826735014) earlier in the thread and they look like they may do the job for cheap in ear headphones i keep in my pocket to throw on at random to use with my evo and still get good quality. but i'm honestly not sure.

my biggest problem is i've never been able to find a pair of in ear headphones that work great for me. i've tried shure, bose (yeah sorry guys, this was a few years ago. i got them for super cheap with an employee discount), and a few other brands. none seem to fit right, they always fall out of my ears.

Haha, I just ordered a pair of those (for the ear tips) which will be here on tuesday. If you can wait that long I plan on posting my thoughts on them :)

1stStrike said:
I'm sure you're on the edge of your seat awaiting this ultimate comparison :p

What I'll do is break out the M9's, actually listen to them for a while, then listen with the Bose's, compare THOSE two, and then break out the FX700's with the stock ear tips and compare THOSE to the Bose.

This way it's somewhat fair :p

After that's out of the way I'll start interchanging ear tips on the FX700's and see what suits my fancy.

Considering that the FX700 is amongst the top available dynamic phones available, it's fair in the same way pitting a toddler against Mr. T armed with an automatic shotgun is fair, yes.

1stStrike

Banned
Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
Considering that the FX700 is amongst the top available dynamic phones available, it's fair in the same way pitting a toddler against Mr. T armed with an automatic shotgun is fair, yes.

lmao. Don't rule out the power of toddlers. Some of them are fucking nightmares :p

Jeramii

Banned
1stStrike said:
Haha, I just ordered a pair of those (for the ear tips) which will be here on tuesday. If you can wait that long I plan on posting my thoughts on them :)

i'm a patient man. i'll try to keep my eye out for your comment.

some of the reviews i read for those headphones said that you need to let them run for about 20 hours before the sound really is where it should be.

1stStrike

Banned
Jeramii said:
i'm a patient man. i'll try to keep my eye out for your comment.

some of the reviews i read for those headphones said that you need to let them run for about 20 hours before the sound really is where it should be.

Yeah most headphones require a burn in period :) I'll post up my comments probably on thursday or friday.

LCfiner

My E9 arrived crazy fast and it's hooked up now (I ordered it a week after my E7 but got here first). I'm using it with line out from the ipod and from the nuforce icon mobile DAC from my Mac.

It definitely adds much more body and resonance to vocals and drums compared to the little E5. I really like how warm everything feels with my EWS9s and this amp. it's not an especially colored amp, from what I can tell but it really adds more "oomph" to drum hits. when the sticks hit the skins, I can feel the impact much better now than I could with the E5 (and that one wasn't terrible, by any means)

taking a break from music, I'm listening to a podcast now and I'm hearing all the little breathing noises and mouth noises that I miss just listening on cheaper hardware. it's actually a little disturbing!

anyway, gotta run through more of my albums with this little bad boy. I really like it so far

1stStrike said:
Yeah most headphones require a burn in period :) I'll post up my comments probably on thursday or friday.

Make sure Thriller is in your rotation. Wanna be Startin' Something, Beat It and Billie Jean sound absolutely ridiculous on the FX500/DDM, so by extension, the FX700 should blow your mind as well. Oh, and Kind of Blue as well, Freddie Freeloader sounds like magic on a pair of phones with an expansive soundstage and good instrumental timbre. And A Night at the Opera, just so you can hear the practically holographic sound of Freddie's multitracked vocals on Love of My Life.

Alucrid

Banned
LCfiner said:
My E9 arrived crazy fast and it's hooked up now (I ordered it a week after my E7 but got here first). I'm using it with line out from the ipod and from the nuforce icon mobile DAC from my Mac.

It definitely adds much more body and resonance to vocals and drums compared to the little E5. I really like how warm everything feels with my EWS9s and this amp. it's not an especially colored amp, from what I can tell but it really adds more "oomph" to drum hits. when the sticks hit the skins, I can feel the impact much better now than I could with the E5 (and that one wasn't terrible, by any means)

taking a break from music, I'm listening to a podcast now and I'm hearing all the little breathing noises and mouth noises that I miss just listening on cheaper hardware. it's actually a little disturbing!

anyway, gotta run through more of my albums with this little bad boy. I really like it so far

You sure you're not listening to NPR?

LCfiner

Alucrid said:
You sure you're not listening to NPR?

ha ha, no. It was Weekend Confirmed (gaming)

i'm listening to a lot of Rilo Kiley right now and, oh man. female vocals with this little setup are amazing. Jenny Lewis <3

Played though a bit of the Tron Legacy soundtrack and the bass there was really nice. a clear improvement over the E5 (should not be a surprise).

Enron

Banned
LCfiner said:
ha ha, no. It was Weekend Confirmed (gaming)

i'm listening to a lot of Rilo Kiley right now and, oh man. female vocals with this little setup are amazing. Jenny Lewis <3

Played though a bit of the Tron Legacy soundtrack and the bass there was really nice. a clear improvement over the E5 (should not be a surprise).

Blah. Forget overrated Rilo Kiley and run some Neko Case through them bad boys if you want some blow-the-doors-off female vocals!

LCfiner

Enron said:
Blah. Forget overrated Rilo Kiley and run some Neko Case through them bad boys if you want some blow-the-doors-off female vocals!

I have Neko's entire discography. I like both.

Yes, Neko's voice is better, but I wanted something a bit more poppy and rocky right now.

1stStrike

Banned
HiResDes said:
Yeah you know how us audiophiles do We Like It Lossless

I'm calling Dreams out. He sent me lossy music for the "do these highs bother you?" trial :p The first song I listened to had terrible compression and I was like "Hey, I kinda like... oh...compression" lol :)

Antiochus

Looking at various posts, perhaps I should rephrase my question:

As a avid listener or electronica and indie music, with a budget of around $80, what is the best and most durable headphone I should buy?

HiResDes

Antiochus said:

As a avid listener or electronica and indie music, with a budget of around $80, what is the best and most durable headphone I should buy?

Portable? Closed or Open?

Antiochus

HiResDes said:
Portable? Closed or Open?

Ah, I see. It should be closed, no exceptions. As for portability, I do not mind carrying a bit more heft, but it should not be more than 1.5 lbs, preferably less.\

I also want to emphasize the durability aspect. I am even willing to trade some audio fidelity in exchange for rock solid built and endurance.

1stStrike said:
I'm calling Dreams out. He sent me lossy music for the "do these highs bother you?" trial :p The first song I listened to had terrible compression and I was like "Hey, I kinda like... oh...compression" lol :)
they were just quick examples. some of that stuff was several years old (literally). :-(

and yo...these HD650's sure do sound "soft" after listening to the D7k's for a week. all the highs sound muffled. lol.

I'm going exclusively HD650 this weekend and I get the feeling trying to go back to the D7k's will feel as odd as going from D7k to 650 is right now.

Tokubetsu

Semi random questions for you guys. Do you ever mess with stereoimage width? I'll decrease it a bit when Im listening to certain stuff.

HiResDes

Antiochus said:
Ah, I see. It should be closed, no exceptions. As for portability, I do not mind carrying a bit more heft, but it should not be more than 1.5 lbs, preferably less.\

I also want to emphasize the durability aspect. I am even willing to trade some audio fidelity in exchange for rock solid built and endurance.

Koss PRODJ100, Sony MDR-V6 AKA Sony MDR-7506, or JVC HARX700 (Pretty much in that order).

Antiochus said:

If it's electronica and indie rock that you listen to, I'd probably try to improve the budget by about 20 bucks and score a pair of Hi-fi man RE zeros. Head direct make products that deliver sound quality far beyond their cost so you don't have to worry about upgrading constantly. As for build quality, sadly, unless you're paying for the Audio Technica CK10/100 you're not going to find bulletproof phones even if your budget extends into the hundreds. IEM's are meant to be treated with care as any expensive high precision device should be.

As for headphone recommendations... Someone else may be of better assistance. I'm not too familiar with full sized cans in that range other than a few Grado/Alessandro/Sennheisser phones.

Edit: bah took too long to type out my response, disregard what I wrote :l

Dreams-Visions said:
they were just quick examples. some of that stuff was several years old (literally). :-(

and yo...these HD650's sure do sound "soft" after listening to the D7k's for a week. all the highs sound muffled. lol.

I'm going exclusively HD650 this weekend and I get the feeling trying to go back to the D7k's will feel as odd as going from D7k to 650 is right now.

Try to stick with them. It takes awhile for you to mentally adjust to a certain sound signature but you may find that this new particular signature suits you better than the previous one did. I used to be a real treble/detail head until I grew annoyed with the fatigue associated with those types of cans and really grew to love the smooth, lush, and punchy sound of midrange/bass tuned cans as a result.

1stStrike

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:

lol i know i'm just giving you shit :p

Glad the the 650's work better for you, though. Enjoy :)

HiResDes said:
Don't disregard what he wrote, what the hell lol

Unfortunately his main criteria was rock solid build, which isn't really what Head Direct delivers. They're all about prodigious sound at the cost of coming in a spartan, no frills, functional package.

outsidah

Ok GAF need help. Started doing some PC gaming again and need some headphones and a mic. I would also like to use these for music at home/work. I want to keep it at about $100 or so. I see great things about the HD-555's which I'll need to buy a separate mic for.

Is there anything with a mic around the $100 range you all would recommend more? I would love to buy something in person at Best Buy this weekend since I have a GC, but I doubt they have these there.

kevm3

Dreams-Visions said:

That's one of the reasons I don't regret selling the HD600. That 'polite sound' with rolled-off highs began to be a nuisance for me after a while. It took me out of the music.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
HiResDes said:
Dude that's old shit to me, and not really IDM.

Edit: BTW, I was speaking in code....

Yeah, I guess it's not technically IDM, probably closer to trip hop. And is it really old shit? I thought there were only two albums, 2008, and 2010?

HiResDes

Extollere said:
Yeah, I guess it's not technically IDM, probably closer to trip hop. And is it really old shit? I thought there were only two albums, 2008, and 2010?

I was more-so talking about that sound-scape or genre.

Top Bottom