• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

HiResDes

Looking for suggestions on headphones.

My Senheisser HD380s bit the dust (thanks dog for eating the cord and the headband).

Primary uses: listening to music, playing Xbox One with the headset adapter, movies and TV shows in bed/on planes.

So sound leakage is a no no since I use these to watch TV shows while my wife is asleep in bed and for playing Xbox One while she works downstairs.

Would prefer something that can work well unamped.. good sound stage, decent bass. Tend towards more musical laid back tones and not super punchy lively soundstage.

Interested in maybe nabbing a DAC/Amp pack too that would work well on a plane. We like to split audio off of the ipad for flights. So something that would let us run two pairs of headphones and work with the Xbox One headphone adapter would be great.

250 budget on the cans, 150 or so on the DAC/amp combo.

Thanks duders.

Edit: One final consideration. I have a big head, and I need comfy over ears. I hate on-ears. So something that I could wear easily for 3-4 hours at a clip.
You have some really good options in that price range as for as closed cans go:

• Yamaha MT-220
    Pros: Excellent balance with a slight tuning toward, sporting a good low end, great detail, and good energy in the treble range. Very comfortable, and somewhat easy to drive
    Cons: Mediocre Isolation
  • AKG K545
    Pros: Very easy to drive, a great low end and prominent midrange, and treble with decent extension.
    Cons: The pads might not fit over ear on people with larger heads, my ears are tiny. Mediocre isolation
  • Soundmagic HP100
    Pros: Excellent balance, good soundstage, amazing comfort. Good isolation.
    Cons: Slightly difficult to drive, might have to crank up the volume in unamped portable sources. A bit heavy. Slightly rolled off treble.
  • M-Audio HDH50
    Pros: Comfortable pads, very balanced sound, good isolation
    Cons: A bit bulky and a bit sterile sounding with some tracks.
  • NVX XPT100
    Pros: Incredible value, great comfort, high isolation, very balanced sounding
    Cons: Loses out on sheer detail to the Yamaha and has rolled off treble.

As far as the DAC/AMP combo, you're not going to need anything very powerful with the cans I've suggested and you can use a splitter like this HDE Audio Splitter

I'd go with something relatively inexpensive and portable like the E07K.

I love my ATH-AD700, really really love them and now I see the ATH-AD900X is 200 bucks on Amazon. Any reason to upgrade? My 700s are two years old now and the fit isn't as good as it used to be unfortunately. How does the 900X compare to the 700?

I love my ATH-AD700, really really love them and now I see the ATH-AD900X is 200 bucks on Amazon. Any reason to upgrade? My 700s are two years old now and the fit isn't as good as it used to be unfortunately. How does the 900X compare to the 700?

I haven't tried the AD700, but I have the AD900. Supposedly the AD900 has a tiny bit more at the low end and more of a punch than the AD700. The soundstage is large on both models. I'd say go for the upgrade. If you don't like them you can always return them. Amazon has good return policies.

Faith

I got my Modmic 4.0 today and they are too quiet right now. I also hear some static. Probably because of my onboard soundcard.

I ordered an Asus Xonar DG for the mic. Hopefully it will be much better with it :)

Is anyone able to help me? I want to get some pretty decent headphones and I'm looking to spend no more than £120/$200. I prefer the idea of proper headphones but I intend to use them a lot for running/general exercising. Do you think I'm better off getting IEMs or are there headphones that would fit this need?

If anyone could recommend a specific pair, that would be cool too. I tend to listen to a lot of stuff like Fun, CHVRCHES, The 1975 and other less cool things like Katy Perry and Taylor Swift. Not sure if that affects my options at all but I assume sharing it can't hurt.

Any help is greatly appreciated, sorry if I'm not being specific enough. Pretty new to the world of not using apple earbuds.

Lkr

bought SR80 finally. do i need to do anything sound card wise at the moment? i have realtek onboard from an intel z77 chipset with an i5 3570k

bought SR80 finally. do i need to do anything sound card wise at the moment? i have realtek onboard from an intel z77 chipset with an i5 3570k

Grado SR80 can run on pretty much anything. Maybe a DAC can help provide a cleaner sound, but onboard should be sufficient.

Schlep

I've got a pair of Sennheiser HD 280 pros, and I love the sound, but hate how it's basically the goofiest looking crap if worn in public.

Any suggestions for something that has roughly the same sound quality but doesn't look awful on a bigger head (ie. Not sticking way out on the sides)?

Jzero

I've got a pair of Sennheiser HD 280 pros, and I love the sound, but hate how it's basically the goofiest looking crap if worn in public.

Any suggestions for something that has roughly the same sound quality but doesn't look awful on a bigger head (ie. Not sticking way out on the sides)?

V-MODA XS ?

They're expensive compared to your 280s though.

HiResDes

Is anyone able to help me? I want to get some pretty decent headphones and I'm looking to spend no more than £120/$200. I prefer the idea of proper headphones but I intend to use them a lot for running/general exercising. Do you think I'm better off getting IEMs or are there headphones that would fit this need?

If anyone could recommend a specific pair, that would be cool too. I tend to listen to a lot of stuff like Fun, CHVRCHES, The 1975 and other less cool things like Katy Perry and Taylor Swift. Not sure if that affects my options at all but I assume sharing it can't hurt.

Any help is greatly appreciated, sorry if I'm not being specific enough. Pretty new to the world of not using apple earbuds.
I wouldn't spend more than fifty bucks on anything you plan to run in

Talon

I wouldn't spend more than fifty bucks on anything you plan to run in
Concur with HRD per usual. Get something cheap.

I use these as my exercise buds, and they sound pretty great considering the price:
Panasonic RPHJE120K
Meelectronic M6

4165905d6d91f2d358c5dba990e65c7a_large.jpg

Fuckin FINALLY. Next week!

HiResDes

I don't even trust him at this point. I thought they were already shipping given his update before last, so it's pretty wack that they are just finishing builds.

HiResDes

I forgot to mention the KRK Kns 8400 in my suggestions for Stooge, but I'm not sure he's even going to come back and see any of this

purg3

slept with Malkin
cross posting this from the pick-ups thread

Just got these in the other day from another gaffer in the buy/sell/trade thread at a really good price. Been wanting to get a pair of these for a while now.

Philips Fidelio X1

Still can't get over how comfortable these are. I'm pretty picky when it comes to comfort but these are amazing. I usually have issues wearing a lot of different headphones with glasses too, but these are no problem. Also helps that they sound pretty damn good too. Very happy so far with the decision to get these.

Talon

Great. Thanks guys. If I'm going cheap then I might be able to get some over-ear headphones too.
Yeah, dude, that's definitely the best option. Spend $10-15 on earbuds for running/gym and spend the $190 or so you have left on a solid over ear set for commuting/work/home.

Jzero

Still can't get over how comfortable these are. I'm pretty picky when it comes to comfort but these are amazing. I usually have issues wearing a lot of different headphones with glasses too, but these are no problem. Also helps that they sound pretty damn good too. Very happy so far with the decision to get these.

The only problem that i have is that sometimes the material makes the back of my ear itchy.

Yeah, dude, that's definitely the best option. Spend $10-15 on earbuds for running/gym and spend the $190 or so you have left on a solid over ear set for commuting/work/home.

If you end up getting the Meelectronics M6, get Comply tips for them. They help improve the fit and feel comfortable.

RoKKeR

Hey audiophile GAF, I've got some noob earbud questions for you all. Tried my hand with in in OT but I thought I'd ask a few other questions here.

Essentially, I'm looking for a set of solid earbuds for under $100 preferably (or in the ballpark) that include a mic for use on my computer, when I'm studying, or just playing Xbox. I have a separate set of Apple earbuds which I think are great, but I'd like a bit of an upgrade.

I got some good suggestions in the other thread but a lot of good earbuds seem to be missing mics, which is a must have for me. Does my price range need to be bumped up if I'm looking for quality + a mic?

And I just have sort of a high-level question for you guys, but I've always been interested in splurging on some insanely nice headphones just for music listening when at home/in my dorm, but I just have no clue how on earth to justify it. My music library all runs through iTunes, and I know that there is a whole bunch of talk about audio encoding or whatever that I really don't follow, but are these really nice headphones out there even worth it if you are just pulling audio from your computer or whatever?

Thanks in advance gents.

purg3

slept with Malkin
I've got these as well and am wondering what kind of equipment I should be looking to get to get the most out of them?

Yeah, they really don't require an amp to drive. Hell they sound pretty damn good through the xbox one stereo headset adapter. I did plug them into my Hifiman amp/dac and they did sound a little better, but the difference is negligible (to me at least) compared to a higher impedance pair of headphones. Basically just plug them into whatever source you are using and enjoy, that's one of the reasons I wanted to get these.

And I just have sort of a high-level question for you guys, but I've always been interested in splurging on some insanely nice headphones just for music listening when at home/in my dorm, but I just have no clue how on earth to justify it. My music library all runs through iTunes, and I know that there is a whole bunch of talk about audio encoding or whatever that I really don't follow, but are these really nice headphones out there even worth it if you are just pulling audio from your computer or whatever?

Thanks in advance gents.

For my audio files I either rip my CDs to 320kbps or FLAC. I use Max (OS X) or XLD (OS X) to rip my files. They work fine for me.
Edit- For Windows, EAC does a good job. I'm sure iTunes can do a decent job ripping CDs, but looking around Head-fi, it seems a lot of members there use these programs.

Even though I have an iPhone, I tend not to use iTunes. On my Mac, I use Vox, which can use your existing iTunes library and is a lot less clutter free. On Windows, Foobar2000 is great. Both players can play a variety of file types, including FLAC, which I really appreciate. Foobar is also customizable, and there are a lot of things you can do with it. For Macs, I think there might be a better player than Vox, but the ones I've seen cost money and I like that Vox is simple and unobtrusive. It even adds player controls to the menu bar.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Second set of gimbals for my Grados just broke. I swear I treat them well, it just seems to be that their construction is idiotic. You have a thin plastic piece with a hole drilled in it, then a steel rod jammed into it. The mere clamping force on your head at the angles it then hit is enough to turn that rod into a crowbar, slowly (over 18 months years of daily use) weakening and prying the plastic apart. Last time they were on warranty and Grado just sent me some new gimbals for free, but I don't know about now. There is that guy with the custom aluminum gimbals but they are $140. This is so annoying.

Edit: Hm, my email to them says 8/22 and I remember I was fiddling with them a while before they full broke in half last time, so it seems 2 years is more accurate to the durability for them.

Addnan

Hey guys me again. I love my K550, but I noticed I take them outside less and less bought several IEM as recommended by you guys and just stick to them for outdoor use. Plus I think they are starting to develop some sort an issue, audio sounds a little tinny(? Don't know what other word to use) lately, so that is going back to Amazon.

and so want an open back headphone mainly for music at home sometimes gaming and movies too but that's not particularly important. Don't want to compromise music for games. Budget is about £200, I have Asus Xonar DGX which says can drive headphones around 64ohm and I don't want to buy any other external amp and the rest. https://www.amazon.co.uk/?tag= (fufilled by Amazon) is a must because of their return policy. Music I listen to same as before, lots of different Metal, Wintersun, Týr , Grand Magus and the usual stuff everyone listens to, KSE, Maiden, Sabbath, Sabaton

I guess what falls smack on budget and everyone seems to like is the X1 , something a little more exciting than the K550 would be nice. Not a ridiculous amount of bass though just a bit more than the K550. Does the X1 meet my requirements or look at something else?

edit: reading lots of reviews everyone seems to love them, but say to change the cable. The stock cable has too much resistance? Says to go for a V-Moda one, but they don't sell them here. People seem to buy this with the X1 over here http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00B3VTMU4/

HiResDes

Hey guys me again. I love my K550, but I noticed I take them outside less and less bought several IEM as recommended by you guys and just stick to them for outdoor use. Plus I think they are starting to develop some sort an issue, audio sounds a little tinny(? Don't know what other word to use) lately, so that is going back to Amazon.

and so want an open back headphone mainly for music at home sometimes gaming and movies too but that's not particularly important. Don't want to compromise music for games. Budget is about £200, I have Asus Xonar DGX which says can drive headphones around 64ohm and I don't want to buy any other external amp and the rest. https://www.amazon.co.uk/?tag= (fufilled by Amazon) is a must because of their return policy. Music I listen to same as before, lots of different Metal, Wintersun, Týr , Grand Magus and the usual stuff everyone listens to, KSE, Maiden, Sabbath, Sabaton

I guess what falls smack on budget and everyone seems to like is the X1 , something a little more exciting than the K550 would be nice. Not a ridiculous amount of bass though just a bit more than the K550. Does the X1 meet my requirements or look at something else?

edit: reading lots of reviews everyone seems to love them, but say to change the cable. The stock cable has too much resistance? Says to go for a V-Moda one, but they don't sell them here. People seem to buy this with the X1 over here http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00B3VTMU4/
I absolutely love my X1s, but I'm not sure I'd call them terrible exciting. The bass is far from neutral, and is quite warm, which makes for a nice response...But it's not super impactful. The mids are lovely and quite lush, but they don't sound overly aggressive. The treble is nice and soft, slightly rolled off, and smooth, but again not exciting. The X1 is headphone that does a lot of things well, and not many things poorly, yet I can't think of any one part of its sound spectrum that truly excites me.

Addnan

Thank you for your input as ever. These do sound like headphone I would enjoy, but I guess I will not fully know until I try them on. After reading your post last night stuck an order in for them, guess I will find out how they are tomorrow. How much do open cans leak? It's not an issue, just wondering.

LNh30R6.png

Think I have lost track of how much money I have spent solely based on your recommendations :p

purg3

slept with Malkin
Thank you for your input as ever. These do sound like headphone I would enjoy, but I guess I will not fully know until I try them on. After reading your post last night stuck an order in for them, guess I will find out how they are tomorrow. How much do open cans leak? It's not an issue, just wondering.

LNh30R6.png

Think I have lost track of how much money I have spent solely based on your recommendations :p

Nice, you are going to really like the X1's. I'm really enjoying mine, and they are now getting used more than my HD600's. As far as sound leakage with open cans, guess it really depends, but there will be some to an extent.

Hey all, I feel like this is a common/dumb question but I can't find anything to help.

I am plugging my earbuds into the speakers that attach to my monitors. I use a laptop that is docked. However, the earbuds are VERY quiet...UNLESS I press the button/remote on the right channel (normally used to pause/unpause music when plugged into my phone).

This is the second pair of earbuds (from a different manufacturer) that this happens with, so I'm no longer thinking it's an issue with a specific headset.

Why does this happen and how can I fix it? When I plug "normal" headphones into the speakers, I don't have this issue.

EDIT: Huh, only seems to happen when I hook it up to the monitor speakers. When I hook directly to the laptop audio port, it's fine. Dammit.

yonder

Since I replace my earbuds once a year I've started thinking about buying a pair of headphones instead, so I'm looking for recommendations on a pair that would be good for public transport and travelling: durable, blocks sounds, doesn't bleed noise and won't look too goofy. Any suggestions? I listen to all kinds of music and a lot of podcasts, too.

HiResDes

Since I replace my earbuds once a year I've started thinking about buying a pair of headphones instead, so I'm looking for recommendations on a pair that would be good for public transport and travelling: durable, blocks sounds, doesn't bleed noise and won't look too goofy. Any suggestions? I listen to all kinds of music and a lot of podcasts, too.
Price range

Addnan

Oh my didn't know headphones can be so comfortable.

Roeld0Tl.jpg

Just arrived so will start listening to everything I own haha. The audio quality is making me tear up a little, I have issues.

Soodanim

Just got my Carbo Tenores. I love 'em. I don't know technical terms, but I can hear separation in the different instrument types, instead of it being all just one level. Bass feels distinct, for example. Especially coming from earphones with extra bass, it's great. And the classic benefit of being able to hear things you didn't before is lovely. Thanks, GAF. Now, if only I had £300 to spend on some really high end cans for home...

Edit: in case it's useful to anyone I'm in the UK if it's relevant), the eBay seller was eina-japan. Communication was great, it was dispatched quickly and packaged well, so it arrived in perfect condition.

Just got my Carbo Tenores. I love 'em. I don't know technical terms, but I can hear separation in the different instrument types, instead of it being all just one level. Bass feels distinct, for example. Especially coming from earphones with extra bass, it's great. And the classic benefit of being able to hear things you didn't before is lovely. Thanks, GAF. Now, if only I had £300 to spend on some really high end cans for home...

Edit: in case it's useful to anyone I'm in the UK if it's relevant), the eBay seller was eina-japan. Communication was great, it was dispatched quickly and packaged well, so it arrived in perfect condition.

Congrats. I think you'd be extremely surprised to find that not even $500 cans will be an appreciable step up from the Tenore. The thing about the Tenore is it hardly has any weaknesses aside from being a bit dynamically compressed, and that some pairs have more bass than others due to spotty QC. I've owned a lot of phones that cost far, far, far, far more than the Tenore, that don't get as much right as the Tenore does.

Yes, there are phones that will beat it out in any number of areas, but it's almost always at the expense of something else. The Tenore is about tone and refinement, it's a phone that's flexible across all genres, and is detailed and engaging without being fatiguing in the highs/lows. You'll appreciate that when you discover that you can happily listen for hours on end instead of feeling like you wanna rip em out of your ears within 30 minutes to an hour like some other phones

Every time I waltz into the Tenore thread on HF and see people writing it off, I just look at their phones and realize they've never had the opportunity to own/listen to hi end phones, so their expectations for hi end sound are unrealistic. Either that or they mistake hyped/peaky treble/bass for increased "detail". Again, you will appreciate that you can listen to the Tenore wth just about anything and not feel discomfort from jagged treble and booming bass being pumped into your ears

I actually got a pair of UERMs in yesterday and the Tenore actually sounds very similar to it (tonally), and I'm not exactly hearing much in the way of increased "detail" from the UERM even when connected to a HUGO DAC. So far, the main improvement to me with the UERM is even better tonal balance across the frequencies (quicker/leaner bass especially) improved imaging (extremely good depth and placement), a larger more open sounding stage, and improved scaling with different gear due to the UERMs transparency.

With that said, I can easily transfer back to the Tenore coming from the UERM and not find myself left wanting for all that much. It's not like the SQ automatically becomes shit, and in some cases I'd probably even prefer the weightier/meatier bass from the Tenore to the UERM's flatter tuning since the Tenore's elevated sub bass does add some more realism to drums for instance. So in a sense, if you've managed to score a "reference" Tenore it's not all that far off from a $1000 pair of custom in ears designed by Capitol Records engineers for the purpose of mastering albums. I'm not even sure that your average listener would pick the UERM over the Tenore to be honest, and that's pretty fuckin nuts!

Finally, do play around with tips, insertion depth, and maybe check out James' front vent mod to see whether the SQ improves for you

http://www.head-fi.org/t/703874/jvc-ha-fx850-iem-woody/105#post_10347472

------------------------------------------
That aside, I got a pair of Audio Technica CKR9s coming in tomorrow. Very curious to hear what a push/pull isobaric dynamic sounds like. My friend has the Tralucent Ref1 which uses an isobaric set up for the bass (and maybe part of the mids) and BAs for the rest. It's my hope that the CKR9 comes within spitting distance of the $1,700 REF1 for the grand sum of $250 haha. I might also throw down for the FAD LAB1 only cause another friend'll buy em off of me if I don't like em for whatever reason. Just gotta list the HUGO so I can recoup the cashish.

In the end, my plan is to off everything I own except for the Tenore, Ostry KC06, UERM, FX850 and the Geek. Realistically I could probably live with just the Tenore as my sole phone, but I need a different flavor from time to time and I just need to own at least one FAD phone, cause I can't stop thinking about the unique midrange/presentation of every FAD phone I've ever heard

Thanks for reminding me I need to get the Tenores. I have the Bassos, but need something more for general use since I use the Bassos for my basshead music.

Soodanim

Congrats. I think you'd be extremely surprised to find that not even $500 cans will be an appreciable step up from the Tenore. The thing about the Tenore is it hardly has any weaknesses aside from being a bit dynamically compressed, and that some pairs have more bass than others due to spotty QC. I've owned a lot of phones that cost far, far, far, far more than the Tenore, that don't get as much right as the Tenore does.

Yes, there are phones that will beat it out in any number of areas, but it's almost always at the expense of something else. The Tenore is about tone and refinement, it's a phone that's flexible across all genres, and is detailed and engaging without being fatiguing in the highs/lows. You'll appreciate that when you discover that you can happily listen for hours on end instead of feeling like you wanna rip em out of your ears within 30 minutes to an hour like some other phones

Every time I waltz into the Tenore thread on HF and see people writing it off, I just look at their phones and realize they've never had the opportunity to own/listen to hi end phones, so their expectations for hi end sound are unrealistic. Either that or they mistake hyped/peaky treble/bass for increased "detail". Again, you will appreciate that you can listen to the Tenore wth just about anything and not feel discomfort from jagged treble and booming bass being pumped into your ears

I actually got a pair of UERMs in yesterday and the Tenore actually sounds very similar to it (tonally), and I'm not exactly hearing much in the way of increased "detail" from the UERM even when connected to a HUGO DAC. So far, the main improvement to me with the UERM is even better tonal balance across the frequencies (quicker/leaner bass especially) improved imaging (extremely good depth and placement), a larger more open sounding stage, and improved scaling with different gear due to the UERMs transparency.

With that said, I can easily transfer back to the Tenore coming from the UERM and not find myself left wanting for all that much. It's not like the SQ automatically becomes shit, and in some cases I'd probably even prefer the weightier/meatier bass from the Tenore to the UERM's flatter tuning since the Tenore's elevated sub bass does add some more realism to drums for instance. So in a sense, if you've managed to score a "reference" Tenore it's not all that far off from a $1000 pair of custom in ears designed by Capitol Records engineers for the purpose of mastering albums. I'm not even sure that your average listener would pick the UERM over the Tenore to be honest, and that's pretty fuckin nuts!

Finally, do play around with tips, insertion depth, and maybe check out James' front vent mod to see whether the SQ improves for you

http://www.head-fi.org/t/703874/jvc-ha-fx850-iem-woody/105#post_10347472
Wow, if I didnt already own a pair that would have sold them to me. And it makes me feel even better about my purchase, which is always nice. With these holding their own in much higher price brackets, do you think it says more about the Tenore or other phones?

It's funny you should mention comfortable listening, because with my old pair (some cheap Sony extra bass pair I got for £15 to replace my CX300 IIs) I would sometimes find myself preferring to walk to work in silence rather than listen to music with them on. I think I'd like a pair of cans for extra physical comfort when I'm at home, but I think that might be an entirely different post (unless there's a similar product in the cans category you know of).

I did test out the other tips after I posted, and while the large tips are a definite no the small ones are something I'll have to try properly, perhaps tomorrow. I'm not used to them going that deep though, and I wasn't even sure they were supposed to be that deep. The front vent seems interesting, I might try that. Seems like very fiddly work though, have you done it yourself?

Eanan

Does anyone know of any websites that sell cheap genuine sennheiser headphone parts (cables, earpads etc.), that ship to UK/Ireland?

With these holding their own in much higher price brackets, do you think it says more about the Tenore or other phones?

I'm not used to them going that deep though, and I wasn't even sure they were supposed to be that deep. The front vent seems interesting, I might try that. Seems like very fiddly work though, have you done it yourself?

I think IEMs have been catching up to full sized cans for awhile now. I don't necessarily subscribe to the school of thought that full sized cans edge out IEMs. With some of the high end IEMs, you'll actually reap better bass impact, more effortlessly perceived detail and more vivid imaging than some of the high end cans. I think the imaging on the UERM is better than that of my K812s, and the detail level is very similar, with the UERM perhaps getting the upper hand. When you amp the FX850, DITA, K3003 or UERM, the soundstage size isn't all that far off from a full sized can either (as long as we're not talking HD800). I'd also personally take the bass of something like the modded FX850 or a 1plus2 over that of full sized sets unless we're talking about a really well amped HD800. In almost all cases, I'd prefer to use IEMs simply cause I hate being chained to my desk, and using dedicated gear. (Especially now in the summer when full sized cans just heat up my ears) IEMs also afford me with isolation, whereas an open can like the K812 allows me to hear everything, even the fan across the room.

With that said, there have been a growing number of phones that have VERY recently come out that can give some of the TOTL IEMs a run for their money (of which the Tenore is one). I'd already felt that some of the best phones existed in the midrange and that stuff in the kilobuck range was about "refinement" but in actuality, a lot of the TOTL stuff is still plagued by FR issues. That's why I mention the all rounder nature of the Tenore. It might not the best in all areas, but it certainly doesn't have crippling weaknesses either, AND it's very affordable. I think another phone to watch may be the T-Peos Altone 200, which eschews fancy packaging, accessories and build materials for higher quality drivers. It's supposed to sound similar to the H300 without that phone's problematic treble. I've heard not so nice things about the T-Peos H100, but that aside, I think their approach with the Altone is pretty novel considering we now live in a world where just about every flagship is in the $1K+ range

Anywho, I'd felt for some time that there aren't really any upgrades as far as new phones are concerned; not after you hit a certain level anyhow. It all then becomes about different signatures. Stuff doesn't actually get more detailed at all to me once you pass this threshold. I guess one theory is that it might have to do with the fact that no real advancements have been made in driver tech. It's all been BAs and dynamics and hybrids of the two for awhile now. I haven't heard the isobaric stuff yet, so maybe that'll yield some notable change. A lot of the aforementioned has kinda left me jaded and lead me to seek out stuff from Final Audio Design simply cause they're doing stuff that no one else out there thinks to. It's not necessarily about chasing reference level sound with FAD as it is about embellishing and exaggerating it to craft oftentimes vivid and at other times weird signatures. When I think about phones that elicit some degree of emotion from me, the FAD stuff seems to stick out more than the others, even if they don't have the greatest genre flexibility.

About the insertion depth, it's not necessarily about deeper. If you're sensing some bass bloat, you likely got one of the pairs that has elevated bass. You can address that by either wearing the phones with a looser seal (as in shoving them only just enough so that they seal/not deep) or you can try out the vent mod. Both of these methods should attenuate the bass. And yes, I have done the vent mod on my FX850s. It's a little fiddly, but it stays in place after you get it set up. Do note that neither of the aforementioned is necessary unless you find the bass to be overbearing for your tastes.

Rampage99

So, I'm no longer in the hunt for a gaming headset but I am looking at something specifically to leave at work. I spend 10+ hours a day at my office and want something fairly comfortable with decent sound quality for about $100 (maybe slightly more or slightly less...). Are either of these solid for that price range?

Audio-Technica ATH-M50WH Professional Studio Monitor Headphones with Coiled Cable, White - Currently $109.00

Monster Diesel VEKTR On-Ear Headphones with ControlTalk - Currently $89.99

I typically hear pretty good things about Audio Technica and I feel like they are a safe bet. The Monster ones are apparently what they company started making after separating from Beats. They are listed on the Head-Fi summer buyer's guide. They are 68% off at the moment (I'm assuming the original asking price is retarded just like Beats) which puts them at a solid price point. For whatever reason I'm digging the white headphones... Any opinions?

HiResDes

So, I'm no longer in the hunt for a gaming headset but I am looking at something specifically to leave at work. I spend 10+ hours a day at my office and want something fairly comfortable with decent sound quality for about $100 (maybe slightly more or slightly less...). Are either of these solid for that price range?

Audio-Technica ATH-M50WH Professional Studio Monitor Headphones with Coiled Cable, White - Currently $109.00

Monster Diesel VEKTR On-Ear Headphones with ControlTalk - Currently $89.99

I typically hear pretty good things about Audio Technica and I feel like they are a safe bet. The Monster ones are apparently what they company started making after separating from Beats. They are listed on the Head-Fi summer buyer's guide. They are 68% off at the moment (I'm assuming the original asking price is retarded just like Beats) which puts them at a solid price point. For whatever reason I'm digging the white headphones... Any opinions?
Out of those two, I'd go with the M50.

Top Bottom