• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

CRS

Put in the order for the Carbo Tenore and Basso for a little less than $100 after S&H too.

Not fucking bad at all and I hope it doesn't take no more than two weeks.

Does anyone recommend any tips to go along with these? Are the standard tips any good?

Stock tips are good. I use Ortofons, but that's out of habit probably. There's a huge tip post that Luisdent posted over at headfi. I think SGS says they're most linear with the comply S200 tip or something. I don't remember.

Off topic but is that Takashi Yamaguchi in your avatar?

Soodanim

Which iems are they for?
Tenore. The stock ones are fine, but I've seen people round the Internet mention biflange tips and it made me curious. American sites seem to sell them, but not so much in England. Although to be honest, I haven't even looked to see if said sites ship worldwide.

I've used ear plugs before, but I don't know if I'd like having earphones be like that. But Comply tips seems to be very highly rated.

Addnan

How long do Comply tips last on average? £10 for 3 isn't too bad and I do need foam, getting a good seal with silicone tips seems to be impossible in my left ear

aznpxdd

Damn damn damn, gotta say, loving my current set up right now.

iBasso DX50 > FiiO E12 > Sennheiser IE800, sounds so freakin' amazing.

saelz8

Hey guys, just bought myself a Sennheiser 323D headset. It supports 7.1 surround sound. Got some questions about it:

- Is there a list of games which take full advantage of 7.1 surroud sound? Or at least some more than others if you know what I mean.

- Will every game I play be "enhanced" when I use these headphones?

- Does my motherboard or soundcare need to support 7.1 surround sound?

1192941629_1637249662_o.jpg

yes, I am very new to this.
How are you liking this set? I just ordered it myself. I already have ATH A700's, but I wanted a headset for gaming. I already did the clip thing, and I'm not a fan.

Alright, need some help.

Been using Bose QC15s for a while now, but I just want something better. I'd be listening from my iPhone or computer, no special setup. Most of what I listen to is either rock or pop. I'm leaning towards a pair of Sennheiser over the ear Momentums, but I know practically nothing about what I'm doing. $300 is about the top of my price range unless there's something that'll blow me away for a little bit more. Am I making the right choice?

HiResDes

Alright, need some help.

Been using Bose QC15s for a while now, but I just want something better. I'd be listening from my iPhone or computer, no special setup. Most of what I listen to is either rock or pop. I'm leaning towards a pair of Sennheiser over the ear Momentums, but I know practically nothing about what I'm doing. $300 is about the top of my price range unless there's something that'll blow me away for a little bit more. Am I making the right choice?
Not a bad choice at all though I'd have a hard time justifying getting those over the Yamaha Mt220, which are on sale for $200 on Amazon right now.

Fox1304

Needed some new in-ear to go with my recently purchased Sansa Clip+ ...
Since this morning, I snagged some V-Moda Remix Remote for 10€, and discovered all the hype surrounding the Sony MH1C, got two pairs for 12€ each ...
Total compulsive buy, but can't wait to see if they are good or not :D

Needed some new in-ear to go with my recently purchased Sansa Clip+ ...
Since this morning, I snagged some V-Moda Remix Remote for 10€, and discovered all the hype surrounding the Sony MH1C, got two pairs for 12€ each ...
Total compulsive buy, but can't wait to see if they are good or not :D

Cancel the MH1 order if you can and order a Tenore instead.

Fox1304

Any suggestions for solid mid-range earbuds? Buying them as a gift for someone to use at work. Like $30-$50 range?

The Sony MH1C I just bought are rumored to be one of the best deal ever in this category, rivaling with earbuds about 10 times more expensive. Haven't received them yet, so can't comment if this is true or not, but will report as soon as received and tested.

Okay. Is your advice because you think the MH1C are bad ? Or just because you think the Tenore would be a better investment ?

I own both the MH1 and the Tenore. The Tenore is the better phone, much better bass on the Tenore and better sense of imaging. That and the cable on the Tenore is far, far better than on the MH1. The MH1 uses a very annoying flat cable that has the weirdest god damned Y split ever, it'll drive you crazy. I used to recommend the MH1 months and months back but always had reservations due to the fact that the cable is just plain terrible and that you had to use a bit of EQ

Fox1304

I own both the MH1 and the Tenore. The Tenore is the better phone, much better bass on the Tenore and better sense of imaging. That and the cable on the Tenore is far, far better than on the MH1. The MH1 uses a very annoying flat cable that has the weirdest god damned Y split ever, it'll drive you crazy. I used to recommend the MH1 months and months back but always had reservations due to the fact that the cable is just plain terrible and that you had to use a bit of EQ

That about echoes what I've read about the ergonomics. I'll keep my order though, and see if it drives me crazy. For 12€, there isn't much risk for this as a second headset.
Thanks for the advices :)

HiResDes

I hate the cable design as well and if you get the wrong version you'll have to use an adapter when listening from certain sources.

Jin

I'm currently using Klipsch S4 and I was wondering if Yamaha EPH-100SL is an upgrade. Is it a big difference compare to S4? I'm only using this on my ipod at work. Or what do you guys recommend that is an upgrade from S4? Budget is $150.

HiResDes

I've just pulled the trigger and ordered the Hifiman HE-560. They should be here within a day or two.

GAF, what have I done?
Stepped into the hifi and made me a bit jealous
Probably is legit looks a lot like a Fiio
I'm currently using Klipsch S4 and I was wondering if Yamaha EPH-100SL is an upgrade. Is it a big difference compare to S4? I'm only using this on my ipod at work. Or what do you guys recommend that is an upgrade from S4? Budget is $150.
Ostry KC06a should be a direct upgrade

bigb0ss

Banned
I guess this is the best place to ask. I got a replacement PC at work and it has mobo noise when I connect my sennhieser's to them. I read that I can get a USB DAC that will act as sound card and it shouldn't have any extra noise.

I am looking for some recommendations. I'm not looking for anything fancy. Just something better than what I currently have at work. I just want simple plug and play. It's a Windows 7 (64 bit) machine with all the updates and I have the admin rights to it. Thanks!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
The Sony MH1C I just bought are rumored to be one of the best deal ever in this category, rivaling with earbuds about 10 times more expensive. Haven't received them yet, so can't comment if this is true or not, but will report as soon as received and tested.

Hmm ok. I want something on the less expensive end with an in-line mic.

Any other suggestions?

LuffyZoro

My in-ears just died (again), and I'm about to go off to college, so I'd like a replacement that'll last for not too much. I've been looking at the SoundMAGIC E10, but is there a better option around that price range (say, under $50)? In-line controls would be nice, but not required. I'll mostly be listening from my Android or Macbook Air.

So I got my Momentums in. Amazing sound and build, love the look. Only issue, which I suffer from a lot, is the ear cups are too small. Not uncomfortable in the short time I've worn them (package was delivered to work), but noticeable. Will put them to the test over the next couple of nights, and if they don't cause me any discomfort I'll keep them, but I'm really bewildered as to why Sennheiser doesn't offer bigger replacement cups for this set. Seems like a no brainer.

HiResDes

My in-ears just died (again), and I'm about to go off to college, so I'd like a replacement that'll last for not too much. I've been looking at the SoundMAGIC E10, but is there a better option around that price range (say, under $50)? In-line controls would be nice, but not required. I'll mostly be listening from my Android or Macbook Air.
Zero Audio Tenore are the best in terms of sound but the Ostry KC06 have a bit better build.

harSon

Banned
I'm looking for some headphones to replace my HD598's that I bought years ago. My budget is pretty open ended, within reason of course. I saw that Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium's were on sale at Massdrop for $239.99. Is that a good pair of headphones for the price point, or could I do better?

I don't have a DAC/AMP either, and am completely clueless on that front, so I could use help with that as well.

HiResDes

I'm looking for some headphones to replace my HD598's that I bought years ago. My budget is pretty open ended, within reason of course. I saw that Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium's were on sale at Massdrop for $239.99. Is that a good pair of headphones for the price point, or could I do better?

I don't have a DAC/AMP either, and am completely clueless on that front, so I could use help with that as well.
Fidelio X1 would be perfect and sound better without amplification than the DT990.

HiResDes

So I got my Momentums in. Amazing sound and build, love the look. Only issue, which I suffer from a lot, is the ear cups are too small. Not uncomfortable in the short time I've worn them (package was delivered to work), but noticeable. Will put them to the test over the next couple of nights, and if they don't cause me any discomfort I'll keep them, but I'm really bewildered as to why Sennheiser doesn't offer bigger replacement cups for this set. Seems like a no brainer.
I'd sell them and check out the NAD Viso hp50 instead, it's much more comfortable unless you have tiny ears like me.

HiResDes

How about with an amp?
They're about even. It depends on how you like your treble. The treble on the DT990 tends to be a bit hot, it's more forward than the X1, but as a result is less smooth and can be peaky. The midrange on the X1 seems a bit more full, but it's quite close. Bass is a total wash.

harSon

Banned
They're about even. It depends on how you like your treble. The treble on the DT990 tends to be a bit hot, it's more forward than the X1, but as a result is less smooth and can be peaky. The midrange on the X1 seems a bit more full, but it's quite close. Bass is a total wash.

Do the X1's go on sale often? A quick Google search shows they went on sale for $149.99 earlier this year. Was that out of the ordinary, or if I'm patient, can I maybe cop it at a reduced price? I remember for my HD598s, they went on sale pretty often.

Tokubetsu

Pulled the trigger on that monoprice amp since it hit 89 on md. Let you know how that goes but I still don't know if I'm gonna use it via USB or line in (I have a xonar soundcard). Also really only expect to see a good benefit for my sennheiser 595. Not too sure why I bought it, guess my bday was coming up and I just wanted another gadget.

Addnan

4 days from Japan to London with free delivery. Amazing. Did not get stopped by customs, happy. Otherwise would have had to pay 20% VAT plus import duties.. Seems to be working fine and sounds incredible and not just because they are $50 IEMs. Wow.
1xt9MxTl.jpg

Top Bottom