• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Alucrid said:
Yeah. I get why people want to do it, it just doesn't suit me. Plus I still think that my beats RE0s sound great normally. Also....I think I've gone ahead and made the RE0s my favorite headphones over the Eternas.
hahaha, I think I should add you to my SM3 queue to change that line of thought. High end IEMs can be seriously awesome. Hell, you're already dropping serious cash on denim, this is just the next logical step lol

Alucrid

Banned
Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
hahaha, I think I should add you to my SM3 queue to change that line of thought. High end IEMs can be seriously awesome. Hell, you're already dropping serious cash on denim, this is just the next logical step lol

I was just thinking that about that over the weekend since I had two five hour train rides. I'm just not sure what to get since there's so many options. Maybe the W4 or the W3 if it's vastly cheaper, the CK-10s because I can wear them with the cord hanging down, etc. etc. Of course I probably won't have the disposable cash to purchase any of these for another few months or so though, sadly. Definitely getting an IEM upgrade before my next cans upgrade. I might try and sell off one of the two eternas I have to help. :lol

Alucrid said:
I was just thinking that about that over the weekend since I had two five hour train rides. I'm just not sure what to get since there's so many options. Maybe the W4 or the W3 if it's vastly cheaper, the CK-10s because I can wear them with the cord hanging down, etc. etc. Of course I probably won't have the disposable cash to purchase any of these for another few months or so though, sadly. Definitely getting an IEM upgrade before my next cans upgrade. I might try and sell off one of the two eternas I have to help. :lol
I was planning on forwarding the SM3s to my friend Joe and then HiResDes after I had some time listening to them. I'll keep you in mind so you can see what the hi-end realm has to offer man.

The W4 costs as much as the SM3 actually. I just read up on those on Joker's thread last night actually. He rates it the same as the SM3.

Alucrid

Banned
I was planning on forwarding the SM3s to my friend Joe and then HiResDes after I had some time listening to them. I'll keep you in mind so you can see what the hi-end realm has to offer man.

Thanks, I'd definitely be interested to see how much of a jump there is considering how good I think that my semi-cheap IEMs provide.

Edit: I should re-read his IEM comparison, especially in terms of sound signature. I'm probably looking at something similar to the RE0s clarity and accuracy..though I don't know if the W4s are still as bassy as the W3s.

Alucrid said:
Thanks, I'd definitely be interested to see how much of a jump there is considering how good I think that my semi-cheap IEMs provide.

Edit: I should re-read his IEM comparison, especially in terms of sound signature. I'm probably looking at something similar to the RE0s clarity and accuracy..though I don't know if the W4s are still as bassy as the W3s.
You would probably be interested in the Fischer DBA-02 then, since those are supposed to be like a clinical musical microscope. I can appreciate that sort of ruler flat, detailed and balanced sound, but I learned to gravitate towards more musical, cohesive, euphonic sounding phones over the years. Your opinion might change too.

Alucrid

Banned
You would probably be interested in the Fischer DBA-02 then, since those are supposed to be like a clinical musical microscope. I can appreciate that sort of ruler flat, detailed and balanced sound, but I learned to gravitate towards more musical, cohesive, euphonic sounding phones over the years. Your opinion might change too.

It's probably guaranteed considering that my preference went RE0 -> Eterna Rev 2 (bassy) -> Eterna Rev 1 (bassier) -> RE0.

Alucrid said:
It's probably guaranteed considering that my preference went RE0 -> Eterna Rev 2 (bassy) -> Eterna Rev 1 (bassier) -> RE0.
I think the DBA-02 and the ATH CK10 would probably interest you then. I'm quite interested in the DBA-02 myself. I was highly considering those since it's a departure from my IEM inventory and more in line with my SA5ks, but I was afraid that they'd be polarizing so I elected against it. The prodigious praise on Head-fi makes me extremely curious as to how good they sound though.

Alucrid

Banned
I think the DBA-02 and the ATH CK10 would probably interest you then. I'm quite interested in the DBA-02 myself. I was highly considering those since it's a departure from my IEM inventory and more in line with my SA5ks, but I was afraid that they'd be polarizing so I elected against it. The prodigious praise on Head-fi makes me extremely curious as to how good they sound though.

Yeah, re-reading the review for the CK-10s just makes it sound absolutely ideal, however, if the DBA-02 and CK-10 are that similar and the DBA-02 is cheaper and easier to get a hold of...hmmm.

Alucrid said:
Yeah, re-reading the review for the CK-10s just makes it sound absolutely ideal, however, if the DBA-02 and CK-10 are that similar and the DBA-02 is cheaper and easier to get a hold of...hmmm.
Yeah, that's why I mentioned the DBA-02. It's basically a more affordable version of the CK-10. The CK-10 does have that jaw droppingly good build quality though. I honestly don't know why more IEM manufacturers don't build thing on a par with the CK10. If we're dropping like 400 bones on stuff from Westone or Earsonic or Ultimate Ears, it goes without saying that shit should be at that level. I guess it depends on what you think is important in a pair of phones. I'd personally go for the DBA-02 since reselling them would be easier if they're not to your liking (and I highly doubt you'd dislike them coming from an RE0 background).

besiktas1

Almost ready to push the buy button on the AIAIAI tma-1...

I've made many pointless purchases in the past. I have talked my self out of buying beats (£360 is wayyy to much for me to spend on a pair of headphones)....

Now £160 on a pair of headphone or £30 on a pair of Sennhiesers....

besiktas1 said:
Almost ready to push the buy button on the AIAIAI tma-1...

I've made many pointless purchases in the past. I have talked my self out of buying beats (£360 is wayyy to much for me to spend on a pair of headphones)....

Now £160 on a pair of headphone or £30 on a pair of Sennhiesers....
I'll play the role of enabler here. Just buy the TMAs and be done with it. You can always resell them, and with the Senns, you're just gonna find yourself suffering from upgraditis.

Ashhong

I got an E5 for long drives and such. Of course ever since I purchased one I haven't gone on any long drives...

edit: aaaaand my post makes no sense because I didn't refresh the page. Oh well.

besiktas1

I'll play the role of enabler here. Just buy the TMAs and be done with it. You can always resell them, and with the Senns, you're just gonna find yourself suffering from upgraditis.
Don't
Stop the peer pressure :).

I have 2 reasons other than price as to why i shouldn't.

1. Read about this burn in thing. 100Hrs before it sounds as it should ? Ugh. Hoping its not true.

2. I have long hair. Headphone head is not cool.

Also is the difference going to make me SUGOI! Is it really that different for a standard pair? I've never tried a "proper" pair of headphones before...

besiktas1 said:
Don't
Stop the peer pressure :).

I have 2 reasons other than price as to why i shouldn't.

1. Read about this burn in thing. 100Hrs before it sounds as it should ? Ugh. Hoping its not true.

2. I have long hair. Headphone head is not cool.

Also is the difference going to make me SUGOI! Is it really that different for a standard pair? I've never tried a "proper" pair of headphones before...
Most headphones have "burn-in". I'm not exactly sure whether I buy into it myself, since I think it's basically the listener rewiring their brain to understand the sound signature. As for whether you will notice a huge difference? What are you coming from?

besiktas1

Most headphones have "burn-in". I'm not exactly sure whether I buy into it myself, since I think it's basically the listener rewiring their brain to understand the sound signature. As for whether you will notice a huge difference? What are you coming from?
Standard in-ear sennheiser cx-something.

Ashhong

CX300? I have those....
KuGsj.gif

The difference is there.

besiktas1 said:
Standard in-ear sennheiser cx-something.
... Yeah. You are going to notice a massive difference dude :l hahaha

Trust me, I came from the same background as you. I used to have a pair of HP MD33s which were later rebadged into the CX300. Going from what I have to listen to now, to that... is worlds apart man. Worlds apart. If music is important to you as much as it is to the average music connoisseur, you won't regret your decision.

Blackface

Banned
I am in a debate between the Sennheiser HD 203 vs Audio-Technica ATH-M30.

The price range is under $50. Any other suggestions are welcome.

It will be used for an all purpose headphone, including Podcasting using a mic that picks up EVERY little noise.

HiResDes

Blackface said:
I am in a debate between the Sennheiser HD 203 vs Audio-Technica ATH-M30.

The price range is under $50. Any other suggestions are welcome.

It will be used for an all purpose headphone, including Podcasting using a mic that picks up EVERY little noise.
If you can stand semi-open go with the SRH850/Superlux HD681's or if you're looking for better isolation the JVC HARX700

Headphone suggestion:

I currently have these: http://www.woot.com/blog/viewentry.aspx?id=14035

I got them from Woot for about 50 bucks a year ago. They are fine except for a few problems. First off, they drain batteries like no tomorrow, which means I have to constantly charge them or use the headphones without them. If I use the headphones without batteries, they don't sound very good at all. They are also kinda heavy, and they fatigue my ears/head during a long listening session. Lastly, the band on top is breaking. The point where the headphones clip to the band, about a third of the way up on the left side, is sort of cracked so they don't fit well.

Oh, and I have long (big?) ears (specifically earlobes, I guess), and the cups don't surround the ear totally which doesn't isolate sound. It's not so much about keeping sound out of my ears: I don't like when people can hear what I am listening to. That's why I like isolating headphones that surround the ear.

So, I'm currently looking at the following two because of price (both under or right around 100) and because Marco at Marco.org recommends them. I was wondering on anyone's experience with them.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000065BPB/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003WV7890/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Sennheiser PX 200-II i

Sennheiser HD-280 PRO Headphones

If those aren't that great, here's what I'm looking for. I want cans that will surround my ears and keep people from hearing my music. I want them to be relatively light/portable. I want them for around 100 bucks. The two links are each one side of the coin; the HD-260 will probably cover my ears and PX 200-II will be light and portable.

Edit: Also, I'd love a replaceable (or durable) cord. For whatever reason, the cords on these things always seem to break.

I'm not that much of an audiophile, so I don't know if the giant ones below (that don't look comfortable or portable) aren't really a bullet point.

def sim

So, I ordered the A40/Mixamp combo. I heard from a friend they were comparable to 595's but with a good, reliable mic built in. Not sure if that's accurate but I'd like to hear some input from dudes in this thread. From what I understand, the 2011 edition may have different quality drivers compared to previous years.

I'm also interested in picking up another headset to use with the mixamp when I don't need the mic. I was thinking of the AD700 (soundstage) and M50(portability, bass) but it would be great if I could buy a single item that does everything well enough. At the most, I'm willing to spend $250.

def sim

AD900 and DT990 are open aren't they? I'd hate to annoy people with my music when I'm out. I also get the feeling sounds will get drowned out when on the subway.

rance said:
AD900 and DT990 are open aren't they? I'd hate to annoy people with my music when I'm out. I also get the feeling sounds will get drowned out when on the subway.

I have the DT990's and they are pretty incredible. Only thing is that they are pretty enormous to wear out of the house; it literally looks like you have 2 mini soup cans on each ear.

I dont know how the DT770's are size-wise, but they are apparently really good, and are closed. Maybe look into those as well.

HiResDes

I have those, well I used to have the Pro 80 OHMs, but now I have the PRO 250 OHM's...I'm addicted to the Beyer line

Edit: BTW, DT770's are huge too man, a somewhat smaller answer might be the HFI-580's

def sim

Haha

Yeah, all these headphones suggested are huge. I'll probably buy a dedicated in home use headphone to start off with and use my current IEM for portability. At least until the summer time.

HiResDes

To be honest when I'm out I'd much rather use a quality IEM, so that when I can get home I can treat myself to the nice big comfy pillows that are my DT770s

I dunno, it's precisely cause of IEMs that my main rig gets used less and less. Having to fire up my laptop, warm up the amp and plug in a buncha shit gets annoying compared to plug and play with my iphone.

CoffeeJanitor said:
I break buds/IEMs too easily so I kind of had to get some over ear cans. Plus I'm a commuter so it's nice to have some isolation.

IEMs block sound better than anything. They are the best isolators, in my opinion.

But, the chords are always so flimsy and the connections to the earbuds and connector, if they aren't really solid, break. I've been burned by too many IEM and earbuds to ever spend quality money on them ever again.

It's also why my post above is asking for portable closed headphones with a preferential to a detachable or replaceable chord.

def sim

Okay, now I'm considering dt990's.

I hear they are amazing at movies, music, and games. At this price range though, I wonder if I can do any better than this. :(

Anyone have an amp suggestion? I have Denon D-2000s and a HeadRoom Micro DAC. Obvious choice is the Micro Amp but it's a bit pricey.

Any other very good alternatives but for say less than $300?

Thanks.

I just wanted to say thanks GAF! A couple months back I posted in this thread for some recommendations on some good headphones that were comfortable to wear with glasses. A bunch of people recommended the Sennheiser HD595s. So I added them to my Amazon wishlist and finally ordered them about a week ago. I got to spend a bunch of time with them over the weekend and I must say, they sound amazing and they are really comfortable! They don't push my glasses into the side of my head like so many other headphones do, so I can wear them for hours with no discomfort at all.

I'm completely satisfied with my purchase. Thanks again GAF!

def sim

HiResDes said:
Why do you guys only look Amazon as if it is the end all?

DT990 Pro - For as low as $149.99

DT990 Pro on Amazon - $166

I'm just so used to the site is all.

I've changed my mind since then, mainly because I hear the treble can be intense on dt990's. I go out of my way to dampen treble on my home theatre because my ears are extremely sensitive to it. I'm thinking about going with dt770 pro 80 or the 250ohm one if the mixamp can properly drive it.

I'm so indecisive about these things. :(

HiResDes

I've had both of those versions of the DT770's and I can say that my current version, the 250 OHM definitely has slightly more detailed treble extension, although oddly enough I find them less sibilant.

The version I posted was the Pro version of the DT990's, which have smoother treble and better mids. If I could deal with having a non-isolated can I would definitely love to switch to a pair of DT990s for what it's worth. The DT770's leak a bit more than you'd probably expect, although they isolate outside noise rather well.

I have the 32 ohm version of the dt990's and I can say that they definitely have A LOT of treble. Its really not that bad though because there is also incredible bass. You really get both ends of the spectrum. Expect fatigue until you get used to them. I use the hip-hop EQ on my iphone to bring down the treble a little bit.

Sound definitely leaks a lot from them, but thats what you get with open headphones. Soundstage is really good for games!

As for comfort, I dont know, maybe I'm just not used to them, but they seem to clamp quite a bit around my head and my AKG K240s feel a little bit more comfy (maybe because I've had them for 6 years and my head got used to them).
In the dt990 price range, I guess theres the Denon D2000, AKG k701/k702. Apparently the hd598 are awesome too.

swoon

HiResDes said:
I have a Little Dot MKII on the way, I wonder if I can still use my UDAC2 (rca out) with it or will it sound distorted.

that was my first amp.

doesn't UDAC have a pre-amp out? just use that and it will be fine. if it's not a fixed output you'll have adjust the attenuation on both devices.

Top Bottom