• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

8/14/03 Blackout - One Year Anniversary. Where were you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinobi

I was at my PC (where else). Wasn't working at the time, and with my messed up sleep hours I hadn't been up long. I remember that moment so well...at around 4:15 I had my radio on my favourite radio show, Primetime Sports on the Fan with Bob McCowan. He uses the first ten minutes or so to just say whatever's on his mind. As I'm typing on the PC, the station just goes dead. No big deal I thought, that station sometimes glitches out for a few seconds before returning. Seven seconds later, the power goes down. Once I heard that the station was still down, I immediately suspected that this blackout was wide reaching. Only my mom was home at the time, so I went upstairs to talk to her. At the same time I threw it on the news radio station a bit down the dial, thankful to hear that they were still on the air (which was kinda odd since they share the same building as the Fan). They confirmed that the blackout was looking pretty widespread. Then a few minutes later, they said reports were coming out of Detroit that they were down. After hearing that, the gravity of the situation started to become clear.

At that point I was just waiting outside for the rest of the troop to come home. Some of the neighbours had invariably spilled outside. Dad came home about an hour later, followed by my sister about an hour after that. I was worried about my brother though, since he was stuck downtown and it takes close to an hour to travel that distance with the subway running. Without it, it was going to be a bit more problematic. Thankfully he was driven home by his manager. He was working at an ice cream parlour at the time, and I think they got a little busier after the blackout occurred, as people were trying to keep their cool (not to mention their wits). It wasn't fun seeing several fire trucks blasting by us, obviously to help people stranded in elevators.

Night time was never really a concern for us. For starters we had enough food for several days. Moreover we had a bunch of extra flashlights, candles and a portable cooker with some propane tanks left over from the Y2K stockade. So we were able to eat a heated dinner, and even some hot tea or chocolate, all while listening to the radio. We considered ourselves very fortunate.

The radio itself provided some great entertainment even though it was on the news station. Politicians and officials on both side of the border was playing the blame game ("It wasn't me!!), or coming up with reasons for the blackout ranging from an electric storm in the Niagra Falls (I think it was clear and sunny there that day) to some incident that happened in Detroit.

Going outside when it was dark though was what I'll always remember. For starters we met up with some neighbours and just shot the breeze for a couple hours. The scene itself though was just incredible. Seeing cars driving by on the road with their headlights cutting through the utter darkness was really cool to see. Moreover, we could finally look at the night sky uninteruppted by city lights, the way it's seen in the country. My God did it ever look beautiful. Must've been a thousand stars that were visible. Using a pair of binoculars, it simply floored me how beautiful and busy the view was. I think that view alone almost made the aggrivation worth it.

Eventually we turned in. I forget exactly when the power came on for us, but I think it was before noon. All in all it wasn't too bad, but that's easy to say when we were semi-prepared and it only lasted a day. Several days or a week of that mess, and it would've been total anarchy.

The big talk back then was how communities had come closer together and helped each other, and how people would be more concious of saving energy. Of course a year later we all went back to normal, not giving a shit about our fellow man and burning the juice 24/7. Some things never change.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Working in Best Buy.

We had to round up all the customers and get them to the front of the store until our back ups kicked in and we could make sure we remained operational. We were back up and running in about 3 minutes.

Teddman

Jonny said:
I was in LA at the time, enjoying my awesome electricity while laughing at those no good new yorkans.
Me too.

We did have "rolling blackouts" during the summer power crisis a couple years ago though.

Guzim

I live in CT, and my cousin and I were playing videogames and the power went out for one second here. After that we put on CNN and found out there was a blackout. Then we played more videogames.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Listening to music on my PC -- working, too. Power went off and I was like "huh?" I figured it was just my block. My neighbors power went off. Oh, well, we thought, we'll just wait a bit for ConEdison to arrive and fix it. In the meantime I'll go get food...I walk down to the nearby BLVD (Woodhaven) and traffic is *chaotic!!* I figured, 'ok...maybe this stretched a few blocks'. I crossed the street, darting like...6 cars (I was fucking hungry and thirsty!) and when I get to the sidewalk I see everyone outside. I start talking to this lady and said "the power went out here too?" To which she says, "honey, apparently the power's gone on the whole east side of the country." My jaw dropped...living in NYC, the first thing I thought was "terrorist attack, I'm going to die."

Rorschach

Jonny said:
I was in LA at the time, enjoying my awesome electricity while laughing at those no good new yorkans.
Me too. And I wasn't affected by the rolling black outs because I was with DWP.

i was online via dialup on my laptop...
so once the power cut i still had a 2 hour window to chat before i went offline...
as soon as i went offline, i got calls from as far away as florida from other people who were worried it was terrorism calling to see if i was ok...

later that day i listened to mp3's and the radio on my iRiver iMP-550 and set up some candles and stuff...
when it got dark i went outside and was watching some guys play dominos and drinking in the one street light that still worked (it was connected to the recently closed hospital's power supply)...

then i guess i went to sleep, woke up, listened to the radio some more, played gba and ngpc, then sometime in the afternoon, the power came on...

demi

I was at work when the lights just went out. I didn't have a TV nearby, so I figured it was a normal blackout...until I heard that most of the surrounding areas didn't have it either.

We got out early (I work at a restaurant), and drove home. Upon watching the TV I learned about the blackout...but my house had power, so I used this time wisely -- played some Gamecube.

End!

beerbelly

Banned
I ended up relaxing and chatting with my cousins in their basement with candle light and played cards. The blackout brought us all together. Great day.

cvxfreak

Can someone remind me how far the coverage went again? I remember parts of Canada but I'm not sure where else - Massachusetts, Pennsylvania?

Chipopo

Banned
I was at the Bronx Zoo at the time, although we didn't really catch on until the tigers were riding around on the Gondolas and the Gorillas were punting little babies like footballs. I don't know who thought electricity-dependant cages was a good idea.

The insane part was driving home, though. NO TRAFFIC LIGHTS. It was chaos for the most part, had a few near collisions. I couldn't believe I had arrived at my apartment building when I pulled up. You just can't believe how different things look without the glow of artificial light.

Walking up 11 flights of stairs sucked. It sucked copious amounts, in fact. Oh wait, I had to walk up the 11 flights of stairs TWICE. Once borrowing the flashlight of a neighbor who lived in the lobby, then once again after having gone all the way back downstairs to RETURN her flashlight with my own flashlight in tow. The hallway on my floor was about as fucking spooky as you can possibly imagine. Just pure blackness and echoes. And hobos.

Overall it was a great experience for the uniqueness factor though. In fact, I think we should have regularly scheduled blackouts with specific dates posted all over NYC. Yes... that's the ticket...

Loki

Count of Concision
I was home just lounging around on a lazy summer's day, as I recall. When the blackout hit, at first we thought it was a circuit breaker or two that had blown, because my mother and I were only in two rooms of the house at the time with the lights on. Then when I headed downstairs to check the breaker box, I noticed that all my neighbors were out on their porches as well, and that they had lost power also. To make a long story short, it took us a long while to discover that this wasn't just a local power outage.

My mother-- who's afraid of her own shadow-- immediately started in with her terrorist fear-mongering, which I chided her for jokingly (she gets a bit carried away at times :p) and assured her that this wasn't a terrorist event (though obviously the thought's always in the back of your head, but still). Nevertheless, she insisted that I search the garage for one of our old battery-powered radios; after much effort, I located it and we finally were able to piece together the extent of the blackout from various news reports.

Next came the mad rush for ice to keep our perishables..err...unperished. :p Literally hundreds of people flooded the avenues near my house in search of ice, batteries, and candles-- luckily, we only needed the former, being well-stocked with candles and batteries (my mom's an aroma fanatic and my dad's just...a fanatic); so, after picking up a friend of the family that I saw wandering around on the way to the store, I made a beeline to the bags of ice and then went hunting for batteries for my friend. Thank God for my lead foot on the gas, because had we gotten to these stores but two minutes later, everything would've been sold out.

That evening, after cruising around the neighborhood and talking to various friends and acquaintances, all of whom were hanging out in front of their houses etc. playing cards and drinking and stuff, my sister and I decided to take a drive-- in retrospect, this was a pretty dangerous idea with no traffic lights and all, but there were scant few cars on the road that night, so we felt that it was safe. I recall being incredibly happy that I had a full tank of gas in my car, which meant that that's where I was sleeping for the night with the AC on and the seat reclined. :D That day was humid as hell...

I remember being incredibly perturbed as the estimates for when power to our area was going to be restored kept getting pushed up earlier, which meant that it was increasingly likely that I would have to work the next day (friday). Sure enough, my boss called to make sure I was coming and asked me to pick up some stuff on the way in. Great. :( I ended up coming home later anyway, as the restaurant was dead, and the only other guys working were full-timers who had seniority on me, so I wasn't about to steal their meal-ticket. Besides, it was great to go around to people's houses to chill out and swap stories that day anyway.

All in all, I'd say it should happen more often. ;)

MIMIC

Banned
From Cleveland, Ohio:

Fortunately, I was at home watching TV in the kitchen. Around 4:14, the TV blinked (which was pretty odd since it never did that), and a few seconds later, the TV went out. I instantly knew that it was a power outage, even though it was a bright, sunny day.

My first instincts told me that my dad drilled another hole in the yard, but instead of hitting the PHONE lines (like he did last time), he hit something that knocked the power out. I opened the door to the garage (which is connected through our kitchen) and yelled, "Dad! Did you knock the power out???" He heard me from the backyard and yelled, "What??" Simple deduction told me that he wasn't to blame.

After a few minutes, my mom went outside and asked the neighbors if their power was out, too. She came back in and said that everyone's power was out. About five minutes later, she walked to CVS. Ten minutes or fifteen passed and she came back, claiming "They said that the power's down all across the east coast!" I immediately dismissed this revelation, saying "I hope you're not spreading rumors."

But curiosity got the best of me: I hoped in the car and turned the radio on. I then learned that there WAS a wide scale blackout across the northeastern section of the United States. I instantly though that terrorism was the culprit.

I basically listened to the news through my brother's mp3 player/radio the rest of the day. Then, after finally being overcome with boredom after listening to all the different scenarios of what caused the blackout, I just stayed outside on the porch, as did my entire street.

One thing I will never forget, though: the sky was absolutely beautiful. Without the hindrance of city lights, the starlit sky was one of the most memorable sights of my life.

Downside: electricity pumps our water from Lake Erie, so our mayor had to issue a mandatory "Boil Water" alert. :(

Lights came back on later the following day.

Last year I was living in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn, and I had just gotten home from an EA event in the city. I too was chatting online, when all of a sudden, everything went dead. At first my roommate thought it was just us, but I figured it might be the whole neighborhood; since it was hot out, I assumed everyone was cranking their air conditioners, and boom, a blackout. Figuring it might take a while for things to get patched up, I went to get batteries for a flashlight.

At the corner deli, I passed some guy with a small radio and he said that much of the northeast was also without power. I asked for the exact cause, and his reply was "They don't know, but it's a bit obvious. It's terrorists". I hate to admit it, his statement did startle me. I mean, it really wasn’t THAT hot, so the possibility of everyone using their AC's was not entirely plausible. Once inside, the deli was packed and the mood was a bit grim, yet everyone was extremely polite (way more so than usual). I ended up spending my last $2 on said batteries and I was kicking myself for not going to the ATM earlier in the day. When I realized how VERY quiet it was out in the streets of Brooklyn for a Thursday afternoon, I went home to relay the info to my roommate.

I grew up in a military household, where you learn what to do in times when food and energy is scare or nonexistent, plus my roommate was in the Boy Scouts, so our survival instincts kicked and we immediately set out to get nonperishable food and supplies. Then were the attempts at contacting others, but neither of us had much luck since lines were either down or overloaded, plus my cell phone has always been spotty at best.

But I did manage to get a hold of just one person, my friend Dave, who informed me his place of work in Time Square was evacuated and that the streets were filled with throngs of wandering people. He, like everyone else, was trying like crazy to get ahold of friends, and I was the only one among him and his coworkers who had any luck. I told him of the news of the northeast being without power, which he passed along. I could hear various "that's bullshit" comments coming from them.

To conserve battery life, I tried calling people from pay-phones. Thank God for calling cards. I spoke to a friend on the West Coast who passed along info she got from CNN. I spoke at a laundromat, which also sold ice cream, and they gave me a ton for free since it was set to spoil soon anyways.

By the time I returned home, my roommate wasn't there, so I decided to abandoned my original plans of reading comic by candlelight the whole evening and instead search for friends. My destination was about fifty blocks from where my place, and the long trip there was hard but enjoyable. All along the way, people were outside, chitchatting and having a good time. It was like that episode of the Simpson's where Marge ends up getting Itchy and Scratchy cancelled and the neighborhood kids are forced to go outside and entertain themselves.

When I showed up at my friend Raphael's place, he was both surprised and relived to see me. We went to the roof to enjoy the spectacle of a totally darkened Manhattan skyline and he cooked me a hot dog for dinner. Since we were both so enamored and energized by the blackout, we decided to go on a road trip to various other parts of Brooklyn. Ran into Serge, another friend of mine and neighbor of Raphael's, on the way out. Despite thinking against the idea, I managed to convince him to join us.

We drove to a part of downtown Brooklyn where a lot of young and artsy-fartsy people hang out, and once again, the streets were lined with people just enjoying each other's company. The best part is that people were talking about everything BUT the blackout, and instead just cheerfully living through a temporary moment of inconvenience. Everyone we encountered on the streets was in high spirits and more than happy to talk.

Soon we reached Prospect Park, one of the largest in Brooklyn. From the outside it totally pitch black, and you could barley see where the tress and the sky met; the scene was ominous, yet also quite inviting (and reminiscent of my childhood). At one point we reached a large grassy clearing, about 100 years wide and completely surrounded by tress. A helicopter came from nowhere up and hit us with a spotlight as if we were escaped convicts. We waved like idiots and they went away, convinced that we were no threat. As the spotlight zipped across the ground, it exposed about six different couples having sex in the grass.

We walked some more, then drove some more. Ended up at a bar under the Williamsburg Bridge where they had a generator running some lights. I drank warm tap water as Raphael tried describing some weird game he played in Japan, which turned out to be Vib Ribbon.

By 2 a.m., we were all spent. After one last pass of the Manhattan skyline (which was partially lit due to auxiliary power unfortunately), I went home. I ate a can of cold Chef Boyardee spaghetti and meatballs (it was pretty gross, but I was starving), took a shower, and ended up reading a comic before falling asleep.

I had fun, but I'm super grateful my energy was back when I woke up.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
AlphaSnake said:
Listening to music on my PC -- working, too. Power went off and I was like "huh?" I figured it was just my block. My neighbors power went off. Oh, well, we thought, we'll just wait a bit for ConEdison to arrive and fix it. In the meantime I'll go get food...I walk down to the nearby BLVD (Woodhaven) and traffic is *chaotic!!* I figured, 'ok...maybe this stretched a few blocks'. I crossed the street, darting like...6 cars (I was fucking hungry and thirsty!) and when I get to the sidewalk I see everyone outside. I start talking to this lady and said "the power went out here too?" To which she says, "honey, apparently the power's gone on the whole east side of the country." My jaw dropped...living in NYC, the first thing I thought was "terrorist attack, I'm going to die."

Yea thats how it pretty much went for me,except the whole darting around cars thing.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I was abroad attending the Edinburgh International Film Festival in Scotland. It's very cool to have an industry pass to a film festival, trust me. I heard about the blackout from a taxi driver on the way back to my room.

Otherwise, yeah, I would have been back in the US, and somewhere in one of the many affected areas.

Joe

i was in manhattan stuck in an elevator. i was with two other guys that didnt speak english. we're banging away on the door and finally someone comes and says "THE WHOLE CITYS OUT!" and of course i was like "SHIT" and immediately thought terrorist attack. but then we found out what happened and we got out. and then it took 6 hours to get home (30 miles).

Don't know for sure, but probably in Houston surfing the Internet while watching TV and just after getting an ice cold coke from the working refridgerator in a room with windows, but still using lights to be pissy.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Catzgirl said:
I was in Georgia (with power) watching all of you guys walk around aimlessly on TV :)

:(

In the Garden State Plaza in the older EB. First all the lights started to buz then all the power went out, half the mall came back, then out then the other half then only some stores had back up power. I went back to work which at the time was a minute away...it took me 30 cause of traffic. We sat there for an hour and were sent home. I live 15 minuets at the most for where I used to work. It tool me close to an hour and a half to get home.

Once I got home I sat there and played with my cats....nothign else to do, I had no flash lights so I went to my dads house to get a radio and some lights. the thing that got me annoied was a block MAYBE 2 away had power I didn't get any till the next day, like 2 am.

God damn it was hot that day and my GF was stuck in NYC at her friends house.

Fifty

I think my block in Toronto was the last to have power on the entire freakin' east coast. Man were those some hot nights.

aparisi2274

I was at work. We saw the lights flicker and then BAM!! all the lights went out in our building, and since my old office was right on the water, we had a clear shot of NYC, and there was smoke coming from a Con Ed plant in Brooklyn, so we thought it was a bomb or something. So I went home, and jumped in my pool, because there was no air. Then at night, I spent half the time in my car listening to the radio and enjoying the AC. Finally at about midnight, I tried to sleep. I had the windows open (which I never do), and I think I finally passed out at like 1am from heat. Then at 4am, I heard a car go down the street, which woke me up, and I saw the street lights were on, and that we had power, so I got up and put my AC on, and fell asleep.

Socreges

Banned
I was on vacation in the beautiful Gulf Islands.

Then again, I'm on the West Coast. But I didn't even hear about what happened until I got back.

Shinobi

Jonny said:

ConfusingJazz said:
Don't know for sure, but probably in Houston surfing the Internet while watching TV and just after getting an ice cold coke from the working refridgerator in a room with windows, but still using lights to be pissy.

lol.gif
I knew we'd see a few posts like that...still funny though.

CVXFREAK said:
Can someone remind me how far the coverage went again? I remember parts of Canada but I'm not sure where else - Massachusetts, Pennsylvania?

Here's a map of the affected areas...

blackout.jpg

Chipopo said:
I was at the Bronx Zoo at the time, although we didn't really catch on until the tigers were riding around on the Gondolas and the Gorillas were punting little babies like footballs. I don't know who thought electricity-dependant cages was a good idea.

lol.gif

FortNinety said:
A helicopter came from nowhere up and hit us with a spotlight as if we were escaped convicts. We waved like idiots and they went away, convinced that we were no threat. As the spotlight zipped across the ground, it exposed about six different couples having sex in the grass.

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
Owned...

I forgot to add that I re-read most of the Ultimate Spider-Man comics that I owned at that time, which helped passed the time. It was kinda hard on the eyes though, even with the portable lights. I too suspected terrorism initially...I mean, why the hell not? Particularly since it was so widespread. And it made more sense then some of the nonsensical explainations that frickin' officials were giving off throughout that evening, heh.

Here's a couple images of the Toronto and New York skylines from that evening, along with a satilite shot...

blackout_skyline.jpg

14cnd-power2.slide4.jpg

New%20York%20Blackout%20From%20Space.JPG

Mumbles

Jonny said:

I was in Boston, doing the same thing. That's what they get for hosting the Yankees!

Culex

Banned
I was up at West Point and the power went out. Everyone thought it was a terrorist attack, and we all got mobilized. Sucked balls, I tell ya. :(

Shinobi

As bad as this blackout was, it could've been far, FAR worse. Having it happen a little after 4pm when a lot of people were already making their way home was a bit of a Godsend, where people could use the sunlight for a few more hours to get things done or get back home. Had this bomb been dropped on our lap at say 9pm, we could've been fundamentally FUCKED.

MIMIC

Banned
LOL...I accidentally stumbled upon this from snopes.com:

blackout.jpg

Claim: Photograph shows a satellite view of the August 2003 blackout of northeastern United States and Canada.

Example: [Collected on the Internet, 2003]

Origins: Although the great blackout which struck the northeastern United States and Canada on the afternoon of 14 August 2003 and lasted well into the next day darkened many large North American cities (Cleveland, Detroit, Toronto, Ottawa, New York), it didn't produce nearly as total a zone of blackness as depicted in the image shown above. Artificial light was still quite visible throughout many parts of the northeastern region, as shown in the photograph below:

black2.jpg

The rest of the story is here.

Kefkaff

Banned
I was at home alone playing Planetside... all of a sudden, POWER GOES OUT! I thought the electricity got cut off or something cuz my family was moving out of that house in a few days anyway. It was only out for a couple hours though, thank god.

Eh Shinobi... that map is kinda wrong, I was blacked out (as was a lot of my area) and it's not covered on that map.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Kefkaff said:
I was at home alone playing Planetside... all of a sudden, POWER GOES OUT! I thought the electricity got cut off or something cuz my family was moving out of that house in a few days anyway. It was only out for a couple hours though, thank god.

Eh Shinobi... that map is kinda wrong, I was blacked out (as was a lot of my area) and it's not covered on that map.

I live close to you, and I had power the whole time. :p

Kefkaff

Banned
Actually Society, I just moved down here last year. Infact, 1 year tomorrow ;'(.

I was alone in Wingham(where I used to live) for 2 weeks. The rest of my family was down here, they didn't lose power.

Shinobi

MIMIC said:
LOL...I accidentally stumbled upon this from snopes.com:

blackout.jpg

Claim: Photograph shows a satellite view of the August 2003 blackout of northeastern United States and Canada.

Example: [Collected on the Internet, 2003]

Origins: Although the great blackout which struck the northeastern United States and Canada on the afternoon of 14 August 2003 and lasted well into the next day darkened many large North American cities (Cleveland, Detroit, Toronto, Ottawa, New York), it didn't produce nearly as total a zone of blackness as depicted in the image shown above. Artificial light was still quite visible throughout many parts of the northeastern region, as shown in the photograph below:

black2.jpg

The rest of the story is here.

Damn...owned on August 14th two years running.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I really liked Toronto Sun's frontpage for the 1 year anniversary of the blackout. Talk about an eyegrabber!

13tor.jpg

it says "It could happen again."

LakeEarth

Funny story with me. I just got back from a 2 month vacation in Turkey, and we had problems with the cable company. We disconnected the cable while we were gone under the deal that they'd turn it back on the day before we got back. Of course they never did or claim to ever know about that conversation, so we have to wait a week for them to finally rehook it. (you could only get like 2 channels without cable in my area, since I didn't have an antenna). PLUS I didn't have cable internet during this time as well, so that week was hell in itself for me, since I didn't have internet for 2 months as well.

About 3:10pm I get back from work and FINALLY, after over 2 months without seeing much TV, I sit down and watch an old Star Trek episode, I think it was Deep Space Nine... 10 minutes later, BOOM, gone. Out... I'm thinking it'll come back on in a couple of minutes, but it took over a day for my house. So I just stayed home and played my acoustic guitar in the candle light. Fun times.

The next morning, still no power, but I was supposed to work at 7am at a Tim Hortons near my house. Thinking they have no power, I call to make sure... "yeah we got power", and I'm like "you live 2 blocks away, how the hell do you have power and we dont?" "I dunno, get over here".

All the Canadians know how busy a Tim Hortons can get... well imagine if your the ONLY ONE OPEN in all of the city... yeah it was fucking busy.... I mean a line all the way around the large store, car lines in every which direction for the drive thru, it was insane. People were willing to wait 30-40 minutes for just a coffee and a donut. Some people!

Didn't get the power back till about 5pm the next day.

xsarien

daedsiluap
I was home, and figured that it was just a brownout since initially, the few lights that were on at 4 in the afternoon were just dimming. I didn't think much of it, and continued with my plans to go to Target to look for Futurama 3. I was kind of wondering why there was no music (or news) coming out of the radio for a few minutes. Then I start seeing traffic lights out, cops directing traffic, and figure, "OK, maybe it's a regional blackout." It didn't really hit me that the "region" was everywhere from upstate New York to Ohio. I thought the news station (which had since come back online) was just exaggerating/reporting very early, unverified claims.

Oddly enough, despite having just enough power for the registers and emergency lights, Target was open, but they didn't have Futurama.

So I make my way back home (very, very) slowly. A normally 15 minute trip took about 2 hours; I was amazed - and proud - of my fellow citizens for not killing each other on streets that lacked cops or working traffic signals. I also almost hit a cop because he was directing too many cars at once, and I misread a signal to go. Oops.

All in all, it was a very interesting few days. I have a gas stove, so I was able to cook some instant soup for food while everything in the fridge spoiled. Outside of the poor timing - it was arguably the hottest weekend all summer - it was actually pretty cool. It's pretty humbing to realize just how dependent we are on electricity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom