• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

81 year old man exonerated 52 yrs after wrongful conviction

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOWN

Banned
Happy for him and that's also tragic that he spent 9 years in prison and never got to vote, but will get to this November. He was facing death penalty (this case being yet another example of why that shouldn't exist) and ultimately was sentenced to 30-Life until he got it commuted, but never vacated. So he was labeled a convict and lost some rights until now.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/man-convicted-brooklyn-murder-exonerated-after-52-years-n566076
layzddugclj8x3aaez0i.jpg

Man Convicted of Brooklyn Murder Exonerated After 52 Years

Come November, 81-year-old Paul Gatling will get to do something that many Americans take for granted —he'll get to vote for a presidential candidate.

Brooklyn District Attorney Ken Thompson vacated Gatling's 1964 murder conviction on Monday and restored his rights, including his right to vote.

"I want my name cleared," Gatling told NBC News before Thompson made it official. "Most of all, I just want to vote before I die."

The delighted Gatling said his only regret is that President Obama won't be on the ballot.

Image: Paul Gatling, who spent nine years in prison for a 1963 murder in which he was wrongly convicted, at his home in Hampton.

"That's a big deal for me," Gatling said. "I couldn't vote for the first black president."

But Gatling declined to say who he would vote for in November.

Thompson said full justice for Gatling was a long time coming.

"Paul Gatling repeatedly proclaimed his innocence even as he faced the death penalty back in the 60s," the DA said in a statement. "He was pressured to plead guilty and, sadly, did not receive a fair trial. Today, 52 years later, he will be given back his good name and receive justice here in Brooklyn, where he once called home."

Gatling's ordeal began on Oct. 15, 1963 when a gunman burst into the home of a well-known Brooklyn artist named Lawrence Rothbort and killed him with a shotgun blast.

Fingered as a possible suspect by a felon, the then 29-year-old decorated Korean War veteran found himself being grilled by detectives even though the only eyewitness — Rothbort's pregnant wife Marlene — could not, at first, pick him out of a lineup.

When Marlene Rothbort changed her mind, Gatling said he knew he was doomed.

"The cops told me they would make sure I was convicted and the lawyers said they were going to execute me," he said. "I was a young black man. With the white, pregnant wife in front of an all-white jury pointing me out, it was over."

So at the urging of his family and lawyer, Gatling pleaded guilty to avoid the electric chair and was hit with a 30-years to life sentence and sent to Attica.

But Gatling continued to insist on his innocence and got the help of a young Legal Aid lawyer named Malvina Nathanson.

"It soon became clear there was something wrong with this case," Nathanson said. "It wasn't long before I came to believe that Paul was 100 percent innocent."

Nathanson sent an appeal on Gatling's behalf to then-Gov. Nelson Rockefeller, who in one of his last acts commuted the convicted man's sentence in 1974 and released him from prison.

But Gatling's conviction was never vacated. And Gatling quickly discovered there was no escape from the stigma.

Lamel

Banned
The feeling of knowing you are innocent but still ending up in prison. I can't even imagine.

The feeling of knowing you are innocent but still ending up in prison. I can't even imagine.

I would expect that at a certain point you would start to believe that you are guilty and that you deserve your sentence since it would be the only thing that would make sense to help you get through your days. But I hope those that are wrongly convicted stay strong and hope that society will correct the wrongdoings that got them into the system.

Fortunately, he was "only" (massive scare-quotes here) in prison for 10 years, but being falsely branded as a murderer in official records for over half a century must really take its toll.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Poor sod. :(

They stole his life off him.

I can't think of anything that could be done to make up for this. Absolutely horrible.

EDIT: Oh, he was in jail for only 10 of those years. Not quite as horrifible as a I thought.

True hell on Earth.

No amount of money can replace the amount of time lost. With that said, he should still be paid millions in restitution for being found innocent.

Pay that man his money.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
He was actually released from prison in 1974 for those who don't read the articles

This is just about him getting his right to vote back.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I can't think of anything that could be done to make up for this. Absolutely horrible.

EDIT: Oh, he was in jail for only 10 of those years. Not quite as horrifible as a I thought.
He was wrongfully branded a murderer by society and essentially told to voluntarily accept the label, or be executed. He lost out on untold social and economic and life opportunities and experiences because of this.

DOWN

Banned

He was actually released from prison in 1974 for those who don't read the articles

This is just about him getting his right to vote back.
I'd say either way they effectively took away much of his life and potential with that decade and they branded him a murderer for over half a century

It's still pretty horrible. I can't even imagine what it would be like to be branded a murderer your entire life.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's pretty shitty, but the article/title is a little misleading; he hasn't been in jail in 40 years.

It's pretty shitty, but the article/title is a little misleading; he hasn't been in jail in 40 years.

Actually the article/title is factually correct the man did have his conviction exonerated after 52 years. In the eyes of the law and probably in all documentation even though he was out of prison he was still a convicted murder even though he did not commit the murder.

andthebeatgoeson

Actually the article/title is factually correct the man did have his conviction exonerated after 52 years. In the eyes of the law and probably in all documentation even though he was out of prison he was still a convicted murder even though he did not commit the murder.

I wonder if he'll try and get a job. Doesn't have to check that box anymore.

Being labeled as a convict for 42 years is still life altering. Even if he isn't incarcerated, he's still in a prison that his conviction created for him by limiting his life and degrading him as a human being.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom