• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

9/9/99 - the Dreamcast was released in the West |OT| 25th Anniversary

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
Happy Sega Dreamcast 25! Now our favorite futuristic console is old enough to rent a car, and then go all Crazy Taxi on everybody.

I bought mine on 9/9/99. I was working at the Dinkytown Pizza Hut at the University of Minnesota campus that night. I borrowed someone's car and headed over to the nearest Target, where I bought the Dreamcast, a VMU, a second controller, and copies of Soul Calibur, NFL 2K, Hydro Thunder, Ready 2 Rumble Boxing, and Trickstyle--the latter which I later swapped out for Sonic Adventure. I brought it back and hooked it up to the televisions, thanks to a nice little video output underneath the bar, and we proceeded to have a blast playing everything.

Most Friday and Saturday nights in 1999 and 2000, we were playing Dreamcast games until dawn. NFL 2K and 2K1 were the most popular, but Ready 2 Rumble, Virtua Tennis, Chu Chu Rocket, Crazy Taxi and San Francisco Rush 2049's Stunt Mode were the most popular. Most everyone who worked there were college students or in their mid- to late-20s, diehard gamers (a couple would bring over their Nintendo 64s to play Goldeneye), and they absolutely loved Sega's new machine. They were amazed at its compact size, as well as the visual fidelity of so many games. Everything was running at 60 frames-per-second, arcade quality and sometimes even surpassing it.

I also enjoyed playing the demo discs from Official Dreamcast Magazine, which I collected and read religiously. Somewhere, the final issue is available online, which featured the magazine's ranking of DC games to that point. I'd love to see the former staff get together and write an updated list, just to see where their opinions stand today and what they thought of the latter games like Phantasy Star Online, Ikaruga and Sonic Adventure 2, to say nothing of the enormous indie/homebrew scene that blossomed as Sega bowed out of the hardware market, barely avoiding bankruptcy. I often think to myself that DC's indie scene was one factor that sparked today's retrogaming and indie gaming revival.

Now, there were things about Dreamcast that frustrated me. The controller could have been better, more comfortable, more ergonmic. Obviously, a second analog stick should have been included. I think we could have done without those VMUs with their two-day battery lifespan. And we could do without all the BEEEEP!! and GRZZZKKK!! sounds coming from the console. This is one noisy piece of hardware. It's like listening to cicada mating calls just before they croak.

But, oh, what fantastic videogames! This was the final stand for classic arcade games and it couldn't have been better. Thank God for Capcom and Midway, who were firing on all cylanders from start to finish. Thank God for the 2K sports games. Thank God for the online play, which is still available to this day.

Dreamcast is like a famous rock star who dies at 27, just when they're hitting their stride. The damn thing was killed in the States after 18 months! Less than that! How was that even possible? Oh, yeah, that's right: PlayStation 2 hype in the year 2000, which brought Sega's 1999 momentum to a complete halt. Go look at the sales data and see for yourself (they're available on the NeoGAF archives). Software sales just dropped dead. Nothing would turn things around, and Sega sure as heck tried their best. The hype surrounding PS2 was so enormous, we've never seen anything like it before or since. Cue one up for Sony's brilliant marketing strategies, as well as their smooth talent for bullshitting the gaming public with the most ridiculous claims. You'd think they were running for public office. 88 million polygons per second! The US government might not allow it into the country because they classify it as a supercomputer! Saddam Hussein might steal the PS2 and use it for his secret missile programs!

Look, Sony were at the top of their game, they had the hottest new brand, and they had a killer app--DVD--that was the real reason they got into the videogame business. There was no way a company as comparitively tiny as Sega could survive, even if their finances were on solid ground. Unfortunately, as we all know, they were hemmoraging money, the DC was stillborn in Japan (Sega foolishly assumed Virtua Fighter would bail them out yet again), and sales in the States just weren't enough to keep them alive. And the kids weren't buying the games. I'll bet more than a few of them were burning discs, thanks to a newly-arrived company called Napster. Go ask the music industry about the early Napster days.

In the end, what matters is that Dreamcast has one of the greatest software libraries in the history of videogames, continues to have new independent software support to this day...and were you aware that Grand Theft Auto 3 is currently being brought to the console? The PC version, no less, which is graphically superior to its PS2 cousin. Prepare to be amazed. We never got to see this console pushed anywhere close to its limits. Early games were originally intended for Saturn, many third-party games were ported from PS1 and N64. How many videogames were created from the ground up for Dreamcast? Not many. It's really surprising, and was more than a little frustrating at the time.

Whatever. This console still rocks and still deserves to be played. Forget all that PS5 Pro and Switch 2 hype and just get yourself a Dreamcast.

Here's my current Dreamcast Top 20. These change around every few months, and I could easily write down another 20 games, as could all of you. But these were the ones that I loved the most when it was all happening, and they have my undying love to this day.

Sega Dreamcast Top 20 (September 2024)
  1. Soul Calibur
  2. NFL 2K1 (or 2K2, but this is the one we played at the time)
  3. Phantasy Star Online (same for PSO ver.2)
  4. Hydro Thunder
  5. Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2
  6. San Francisco Rush 2049
  7. Street Fighter 3: Third Strike
  8. Test Drive Le Mans
  9. Virtua Tennis
  10. Crazy Taxi
  1. Tony Hawk Pro Skater
  2. Ferrari F355 Challenge
  3. NBA 2K2
  4. Dead or Alive 2
  5. NBA Showtime
  6. Marvel Vs Capcom 2
  7. Resident Evil: Code Veronica
  8. Power Stone 2
  9. Chu Chu Rocket
  10. NHL 2K2

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Didn’t have a DC but I rented it a few times. Soul Calibur was awesome. And so was Armada. It was an ultra hard Diablo like space ship game. If twin stick analogs were on DC’s gamepad it would had be even better. It was hard to strafe and shoot with one analog stick.

Last edited:

kunonabi

Can we just appreciate how far ahead of its time it was? You can plat it in clear, nice 480p using VGA - no dirt composite image feed here. In age when arcade-perfect ports weren't really a thing, the DC versions of SEGA landmark titles were often better.

Virtua-Fighter-3-Team-Battle-Dreamcast.jpg
I'm not sure why you're using vf3 as example of a superior DC port.

It had no chance in the UK - by then Fifa was a big deal and EA choose not to support the Dreamcast at all. Presumably the lack of Madden hurt it as well.

Last edited:
The 3rd party exclusives to the other platform definitely hurt it a lot. It was more than capable of running those titles which is a shame.

Komatsu

A relevant - and revolutionary - feature that the Dreamcast offered was that it was fully compatible with an optimized version of Windows CE (with DirectX), designed in such a way as to make porting PC games easier. Not many games ended up using the WinCE devkit, but some of the most interesting titles released for the console did, such as:

1. Resident Evil 2 - widely considered the best console port, based on the PC version.
  2. StarLancer
  3. Railroad Tycoon and etc

dc-windows-ce.jpg

KU_

1. When (if ever) did you get a Dreamcast?
My parents got it as a Christmas gift in 1999 for me and my older brother. They also bought us Aerowings and Soul Calibur. One of the most memorable Christmas presents I ever received.
  1. Where were you in 9.9.99? Where in line at a local retailer? Did you take part in one of the "midnight launch parties"?
Nope, was too young at the time for all of that.
  1. What are some of your best memories of the Dreamcast?

Just a few- I remember playing a Dreamcast demo kiosk at our local Sears for the first time, which featured Soul Calibur. Me and my brother were blown away by the graphical fidelity. It was unlike anything we’d ever seen before. That Sears was in the mall, and it no longer exists. I still drive past the building often on my way home from work and that memory comes flooding back.

I remember watching my oldest brother as he played through Shenmue for the first time. I’d wait to get home from school just to watch, and I’d sit for hours watching him play that game.

I remember playing NFL 2K, and turning all the penalties off, so I could line up offsides on defense and sack the QB every play. Took the Vikings to the Super Bowl doing that.

Playing House of the Dead with the light guns, was like having the arcade in our home. Playing Seaman and thinking this is the weirdest thing I’ve ever seen, playing Crazy Taxi for hours on end, and jamming to the soundtrack. Just to name a few!

I still have my launch unit, and I actually took it out today and cleaned it up. I need to get a power cord and AV cables, which I plan on doing tomorrow, and I’m going to fire it up again for nostalgia sake. The Dreamcast holds a special place in my heart, even after all these years.

Shifty1897

I got mine from a rich kid down the street after Sega announced the Dreamcast was dead in 2001. I might have paid $100 saved from a summer part time job for it. I zipped over to GameStop and picked up used copies of Virtua Tennis, Crazy Taxi, Grandia 2, Soul Calibur, Jet Grind Radio, Phantasy Star Online and Skies of Arcadia for dirt cheap. I basically played it through the rest of my sophomore, junior and senior years of high school. What a great time that was.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I reserved mine at Babbages and picked it up on 9/9/99. I remember going in there to preorder and they got a Japanese Dreamcast ahead of launch. I had Sonic Adventure, Soul Calibur, Blue Stinger, Marvel vs Capcom and the Arcade Stick reserved. I ended up bringing home Soul Calibur due to Sonic being delayed. Blue Stinger was a lot of fun.

A memory that stays with me was preordering Resident Evil Code Veronica at Babbages and getting it the day it came out. My dad had to go get it because I wasn’t 17 yet. I also imported ShenMue and had to have a local game store mod my console. Leading up to 9/9/99 I was all about getting magazines covering the launch and watching the Dreamcast commercials on MTV. The system had a lot of potential. I’ll admit I jumped ship completely the following year.

DryvBy

The games I played the most of were:

1. Armada
2. Dynamite Cop!
3. Soulcalibur
4. Virtua Tennis
5. Power Stone
6. Vigilante 8: 2nd Offense
7. NFL Blitz 2000
8. Marvel vs. Capcom 2
9. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
10. San Francisco RUSH 2049

Komatsu

Here we have a good example of how ahead of the competition the Dreamcast was in the year 2000.

NASCAR 2000 for the PS1:

maxresdefault.jpg

Metropolis Street Racer for the Dreamcast (2000):

image.png

Top Bottom