• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A few MGS 3 tidbits...

Lakitu

st5fu
Some Interesting Information:

- Hideo Kojima said MGS3 has 1.6 times the Codec dialogue than there was in MGS2
- He also said that the game in not centered on the actual player (main character) but more on the enemies.
- Shinkawa says the second mission part is about 2 or 3 times the size of MGS2
- MGS3 has many secrets like Extra missions and Snake Tales.
- The Extra missions for example has a ZOE2 style mission (not sure in gamplay or story terms)
- Snake Tales are stories with characters like Solid Snake, Campbell, Naomi, Olga, ‘frank’ and a lot more.

All sounds good besides the first one, maybe they meant as in overall dialogue, for example when you ring them, and they'd spew out more stuff, but of course the game will have its long-ass codec sequences.

Shinkawa says the second mission part is about 2 or 3 times the size of MGS2

WOW!!! but the 1.6 (?) times more dialogue is directly related to the size of the game so i wouldnt worry about it. you either like or you dont.

Mrbob

- Hideo Kojima said MGS3 has 1.6 times the Codec dialogue than there was in MGS2

And hopefully most of these take part in the first half hour of the game.

Otherwise :( :( :(

WOW!!! but the 1.6 (?) times more dialogue is directly related to the size of the game so i wouldnt worry about it. you either like or you dont.

Yeah if they are spaced out well it is ok. That 45 minute codec conversation at the end of MGS2 killed me though.

TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP DEAR GOD PLEASE END TAP TAP TAP TAP

skip

Hideo Kojima said MGS3 has 1.6 times the Codec dialogue than there was in MGS2

yeah, take the extended length of the game into consideration with this. it sure didn't seem like it was longer than mgs2. worry not.

Mrbob said:
And hopefully most of these take part in the first half hour of the game.

Otherwise :( :( :(

They're talking about the overall amount of dialogue. Alot of the codec dialogue comes from you calling the other characters than them calling you. You'll get little tidbits that way, but they aren't required.

I wish half of my cell phone calls were as interesting as those codec sequences. Seriously, people should call me and tell me what love is or just speak poetically about the harsh realities of war. Then I wouldn't be so tempted to hang up.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Oh yeah, this will be a great game. Longer length and extra missions/VR Missions similiar to Zone of the Enders 2. Still wondering what the online feature will be used for, besides camo downloads and possibily uploading game stats to the world rankings

Lakitu

st5fu
skip said:
yeah, take the extended length of the game into consideration with this. it sure didn't seem like it was longer than mgs2. worry not.

How long did it take you to finish the game, roughly? If you're not liable to answer that, then it's fine :)

Glad to hear there are VR missions included this time; hopefully there will be nothing like Substance released for this so that I won't have to get the game again (just a disc with the addons like Integral is fine).

Iceman

Howlin' Mad said:
I wish half of my cell phone calls were as interesting as those codec sequences. Seriously, people should call me and tell me what love is or just speak poetically about the harsh realities of war. Then I wouldn't be so tempted to hang up.

I just wanted to add a big roofles here.

Eric-GCA

Banned
Howlin' Mad said:
LOL, good one.

Docpan said:
No... NOO.... No-no... Please, no. NO.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Can you read? The length of the game will be more than 2x MGS2 and thus 1.6x is a decrease.

- The Extra missions for example has a ZOE2 style mission (not sure in gamplay or story terms)

Can anybody explain me what this means? I've never played ZOE2.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Well, in essence, ZOE2 is a game with giant futuristic robots fighting each other. It's one of the best of the kind, though. Very beautiful looking, and very furious. Maybe we'll get to control Metal Gear itself in one of those extra missions?

Lakitu

st5fu
probably can't say, sorry. but it is longer than the previous two.

Good to hear!

MGS3 Subject Song CD to be released

Konami recently announced that a new Snake Eater opening subject song CD will be sold on November 12th for 1000 yen (about $11) in Japan. This is a prelude to the Official sound track that will be released on December 15th. This CD will contain the different versions/remixes of the theme song: Snake Eater. Also a new music video arranged to the original theme will be included in the CD. It is unknown whether the video will be the same one from the First Bite CD or if it will be a totally new video, but this video I called “The Emotional Collage”. Also Japanese players can use this CD to unlock 3 special camouflages in MGS3.

001: Snake Eater
002: "METAL GEAR SOLID" Main Theme (METAL GEAR SOLID 3 Version)
003: Don't Be Afraid
004: Snake Eater (Instrumental)

Norihiko Hibino explanation on each song:

001: Snake Eater
It is the subject song of MGS3 and the tune which forms the foundation of the story. This song was written when Director Kojima just told me that MGS3 was about survival, work and life. I used these key words to create the vocals for this song. It is not a simple sweet love song, but seriousness of life and love. This song was recorded by raw orchestra in Los Angles.

002: "METAL GEAR SOLID" Main Theme (METAL GEAR SOLID 3 Version)
This was the music in the E3 presentation video. This is the main theme re-arrangement by Harry. This time being able to meet the director’s request: “without putting out usual melody excess as before.” As the result it is a mix of Hollywood action score and the original theme.

003: Don't Be Afraid
Originally, it was something which was made as candidacy tune for the theme in place of Snake Eater. But then the director came to the point of using it as the insertion song. Then he decided against that too. It is used somewhere in the game, possibly played after playing the game. Good vocal work has been done for this song and has a very foppery jazz music. It is old but I think it will be liked in America.

004: Snake Eater (Instrumental)
This is the karaoke version of the subject song. This is the tune that might be in the American edition of “karaoke revolution.” But maybe it will debut in a Japanese karaoke box some day? This karaoke version of the subject song is from the original American version of the song, but it works well with Japanese lyrics too.

sesound.gif

Excellent!

http://www.gamersbg.com/mgs/newsarchive/news_soundtrack.htm

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
neptunes said:
The guy who was trying to fix his motorcycle (1st or 2nd trailer) and was held up by snake.

Wasn't that grey fox?

Nah, I believe Kojima said that character wouldn't be in the game. They might have used the same voice actor or something though.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Not even the voice actor. The guy who gave him the voice in that trailer, was the guy who voiced "Jimmy" in previous MGS games.

Socreges

Banned
Proportionately (sic?), it will probably have less dialogue. Still, probably not significantly less, which I would have liked. Oh well.

The CD has the theme included??
OMFG I want it...now!!
The quality of the trailer rip theme is kinda bad.

*marks November 12th in his calendar*

Vieo

Codec dialogue

What's with you people? Codec dialogue is one of the best parts of the Metal Gear series. It adds a lot to the psychological factor of the game; the fact that when you're behind enemy lines, the only other person on your side is a radio that won't be able to help you out in a fight.

Not to mention it's essential for character development. :D

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Guns N' Poops said:
Can you read? The length of the game will be more than 2x MGS2 and thus 1.6x is a decrease.
Wrong. 1.6x more = 1.6x more. Remember all the painfully long codec sequences in MGS2? Well now there's more of them. We do get more playing time compared to the codec because the game is proportionally longer, but the simple fact remains that we also have to sit through even more talking head babble than we did in MGS2.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Wrong. 1.6x more = 1.6x more
I see what you're thinking, but if you are going to play the game, say four days instead of two days, you will get, hmm, less amount of codec dialogue per day.

It's not that it even matters - key is if the dialogue / story is going to be good and interesting, not how much of it there is.

Otaking

Hm..just as I thought. The trailers probably barely scraped the surface of this game's story. There's probably so much more to the game, that even those who think they know everything will be surprised. And I just hope those Snake Tales have cutscenes and voice-overs for the codec sequences. Afterall, the Ape Escape mini-games have voice-overs for their codec sequences...so these should too...

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Vieo said:
What's with you people? Codec dialogue is one of the best parts of the Metal Gear series.
Agreed. What is it with people wanting Kojima to try and do some non-stop action game when every single game he has created bases itself around a compelling story and TONS of character developments/interations.

If you want non-stop action with less dialogue, go play another Treasure game. Remember kids, you can always just skip the codec convo's - the pure ignorant gamer :)

Vieo said:
What's with you people? Codec dialogue is one of the best parts of the Metal Gear series. It adds a lot to the psychological factor of the game; the fact that when you're behind enemy lines, the only other person on your side is a radio that won't be able to help you out in a fight.

It also adds a lot to the time Solid Snake spends "hiding," standing still in the middle of enemy territory speaking out loud .

Isn't the codec a handheld radio in MGS3? Doesn't that mean a lot of extra noise?

J2 Cool

the year 20XX said:
It also adds a lot to the time Solid Snake spends "hiding," standing still in the middle of enemy territory speaking out loud .

Isn't the codec a handheld radio in MGS3? Doesn't that mean a lot of extra noise?

no, it was nanomachines

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

UNSOLD!

- Shinkawa says the second mission part is about 2 or 3 times the size of MGS2

There ya have it, the jungle is a short intro, you spend the rest of the game playing Raiden in a bingo hall.

MetatronM said:
Wrong. 1.6x more = 1.6x more. Remember all the painfully long codec sequences in MGS2? Well now there's more of them. We do get more playing time compared to the codec because the game is proportionally longer, but the simple fact remains that we also have to sit through even more talking head babble than we did in MGS2.

You didn't even get to hear the majority of MGS2's codec dialogue. While there might be more in MGS3, that doesn't mean that the (required) codec sequences are going to be as long as MGS2. Most of MGS2's was there for some funny things or just weird info Kojima wants to tell you, most people will never hear it since you usually have to do it at specific points in the game.

jett

D-Member
the year 20XX said:

Nanomachines or not, I do wonder what the fuck was Solidus doing while Raiden talks with the Colonel and Rose for 30 minutes at the end of the game. :p

This codec bullshit is too unrealistic to me. I know the game isn't trying to be realistic, dur dur, but this is too much.

Top Bottom