• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A fire destroys cinema treasures in Rio

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Warner Bros exhibition in Rio devastated by fire, original film objects unfortunately destroyed

f350e58_1720639095052-capture-d-a-cran-2024-07-10-211756.png

It took firefighters three hours to bring the fire under control. No one was injured in the blaze, which remains under investigation.

Among the items lost forever:

• Christopher Reeve's original Superman costume (maybe just the cape, need more information)
• Several other original Superman costumes
• Several original Batman costumes
• Batman's original car from the 1960s
• The Mystery Machine
• Dorothy's original shoes
• The Annabelle doll from Conjuring 1
• Objects from the Harry Potter saga including the Sorting Hat
• Objects from the Matrix saga
• The original sofa from Friends
• Several original Gremlins

The inventory of lost items has not yet been completed. The exhibition opened to the public in mid-June and was scheduled to close at the end of August.
Warner fans could see numerous costumes, statues or accessories from the Harry Potter, Matrix, Rick and Morty, Annabelle, Batman, Scooby-Doo, Looney Tunes, The Wizard of Oz and Lord of the Rings universes.

Last edited:

Saber

Really didn't knew about that. Only thing that I heard here was a fire on a well known shopping. Super-man and Harry Potter stuff destroyed...this is a disaster.
edit: my brother told me Warner Bros exhibition was indeed on that shopping (Nova América).

Last edited:
Sad for whoever owns them. However, I'm also of the mind that movie props are not really a big deal beyond tourism purposes, since the films have been completed and it's unlikely they'll ever be used or useful ever again. I thought this was about movie reels and camera negatives of classics getting destroyed, in which case I would find to be far greater tragedy: those allow us to revisit the end product of a difficult process involving hundreds of people as they were intended originally, and any future copies on any format are made from those originals.

Top Bottom