• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A New Clair Obscur: Expedition 33 Trailer Drops Today

Shubh_C63

Wow the premise is so cool. The painter paints death every year taking loved ones away, the general populace fights to kill this figure so she can't paint death again.

Both sides seems they need to win and lose at the same time, good story for a Persona style gameplay.

"Once a year, the Paintress wakes and paints upon her monolith. Paints her cursed number and everyone of that age turns to smoke and fades away.
Year by year, that number ticks down and more of us are erased. Tomorrow she’ll wake and paint “33.” Tomorrow we depart on our final mission - Destroy the Paintress, so she can never paint death again.

-We are Expedition 33."

Last edited:

NanaMiku

Nice. HYPE!

Happy Lets Go GIF by Xbox

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I thought the original trailer looked fantastic, graphics looked amazing...but after closer inspection there's something ruff and the the graphics.
Looks great at distant, but up close I'm not so sure.
I've using the screenshots from PSN as reference btw.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

Wow !!

Oniric Underwater setting ?
Charming music ? (the one in the first half is beautiful)
Turn based combat ?
Impressive visuals ?
Weirdly pronounced "Putain" ?
And a french studio ?

Count me extremely interested and quite hyped !

I thought the original trailer looked fantastic, graphics looked amazing...but after closer inspection there's something ruff and the the graphics.

Think it's just the nature of a small developer. Large devs can have dozens of artists assigned to different parts of the game.

The story concept is really unique and has me hooked. I just hope it's as interesting in reality and doesn't end in some cliffhanger BS.

Not really for me.

Also somehow when I hear the conversations I can picture the actors in the sound booth. Something is missing there..

DelireMan7

Fun fact : the trailer on Sandfall Interactive or IGN youtube channel don't feature the "putain". Only on Playstation channel xD

DelireMan7

I read and watch some preview. I was curious about the combat and especially the whole Dodge or Parry mechanic.

Dev said they took inspiration from Sekiro and its deflect mechanic.
You can parry or dodge any attack and so "do a no hit run" of the game.
If you parry a whole combo, you get a counter attack. Dodging is easier (bigger window) than Parrying.

But so far I don't really see any downsides (which is one of my complaint about Sekiro on my first run actually) about it so I am bit perplex.
If you succeed you get action point (use for attacking) but it looks like it cost you nothing to try dodge or parry.
Maybe you take more damage if you fail it rather than just doing nothing. I'd like to know more about that system.

Fbh

Looks fantastic IMO, still at the top of my most anticipated list (and honestly looks more exciting than anything from Sony or MS first party )
Love the underwater environment here, I like the character designs and the combat looks fun, reminds me of Persona with those stylish menus and Legend of Dragoon / Lost Odyssey with those timed based attacks.
Hopefully the story, pacing and level design are just as good.

If I had to nitpick something I'd look into streamlining some elements to try and make the game flow a bit faster.
Like when you enter combat let's just skip the intro animation of him swinging his sword and jump straight into the combat
Same at the end of fights, look at how lots of newer JRPG just skip the end of fight summary and put you right back into the game world (then give you the summary on the side as gameplay resumes).
It's small details but ones that start to add up over time

As far as I know this is more of AA project by a smaller team. There is a blog update on their site from 2023 where they celebrate the team growing from 12 to 22 people.
I think it's a great example of how newer tech is allowing smaller teams to make impressive looking games, but it's not some $300 million AAA project, it's likely still going to be a bit rough around the edges in terms of presentation and animation.

jburdick7

Neo Member
Game looks freaking awesome. Only hesitation is how they balance the deflect/dodge mechanic. Is there some sort of punishment if you screw up your timing on them? Because I could see them making the game super easy once I get the timing down.

Rexo

Neo Member
there's definitely something weird about their proportions, probably an art direction decision that clash with my brain, i cannot unsee hobbitses now :messenger_grinning_smiling: (game looks awesome anyway)

WaterOnix

Neo Member
I read and watch some preview. I was curious about the combat and especially the whole Dodge or Parry mechanic.

Dev said they took inspiration from Sekiro and its deflect mechanic.
You can parry or dodge any attack and so "do a no hit run" of the game.
If you parry a whole combo, you get a counter attack. Dodging is easier (bigger window) than Parrying.

But so far I don't really see any downsides (which is one of my complaint about Sekiro on my first run actually) about it so I am bit perplex.
If you succeed you get action point (use for attacking) but it looks like it cost you nothing to try dodge or parry.
Maybe you take more damage if you fail it rather than just doing nothing. I'd like to know more about that system.
This is what I'm also curious about. I feel like this is a kind of battle system where if parrying is too easy/risk-free it may undermine the combat. Hopefully they'll show some mid and end-game enemies where parrying is a big challenge with big risks if not timed right. I like just about everything else I'm seeing though so I'm definitely keeping an eye on this one.

I was under the impression that Ben Starr was the voice actor for who seems to be the main protagonist so I'm a little disappointed but the gameplay seems right up my alley so Day Fucking One

Thabass

Looks damn good. Hopefully the gameplay and look of the game will continue to look like that when the game actually hits my computer.

DelireMan7

This is what I'm also curious about. I feel like this is a kind of battle system where if parrying is too easy/risk-free it may undermine the combat. Hopefully they'll show some mid and end-game enemies where parrying is a big challenge with big risks if not timed right. I like just about everything else I'm seeing though so I'm definitely keeping an eye on this one.
Yes I agree.

If the enemies change often and with that the timing or have some tricks timing it could work well.
Otherwise I am scared it will kill any sense of danger during fights

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I really like everything i see here, except the scales/proportions of the heads and bodies, is it me or they have huge heads and/or tiny bodies?

Its actually one of the things that I love about the game.
Its got a sorta animereal look to the characters.

Big heads, small hands, larger eyes.

It makes the game unique, youll always know what game a character is from just by looking at the proportions.

Top Bottom