• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A New Clair Obscur: Expedition 33 Trailer Drops Today

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Per the developers, you can do a no-hit run of the entire game, including the final boss, if you're good enough at the dodging and parrying mechanics.

Interesting.

Humdinger

That actually looked pretty good. I didn't realize it was turn-based. Although I don't normally like turn-based games, I might enjoy this. Environments look good - magical but not overdone. The characters seem intelligent, and they have distinct personalities. That's better than the child-like or adolescent characters you often get in turn-based JRPGs.

Need to do a little work on the ponytail physics. Otherwise, looking good.

DelireMan7

The whole "expedition" send every year reminded me of a french book I love (I actually made a thread about it last year I think) :
" La horde du contre Vent" from Alain Damasio. In a world where Winds are extremely dangerous, numbered expeditions (named "Horde") are sent regularly to go against the Wind and find out what is at its source.

And just saw that the dev took the inspiration from this book for the expedition part.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I think that's because they were supposed to be underwater? Or something?

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Rooting for that team to pull it off, hopefully also a massive success to show that peoples are still interested in turned based.

French turn-based RPG with AMAZING visuals.

Oui s'il vous plaît.

edit : In case its someone's first look at the game the trailer in this thread, the reveal trailer is absolutely amazing too

Last edited:

Humdinger

I think that's because they were supposed to be underwater? Or something?

Ok, that makes a little more sense. I did see the bubbles rising... Not sure how you can talk underwater without going "gurgle gurgle," but hey whatever...

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Here's a quick gif with the boss encounter from the new trailer:

WHnydR7.gif
We finally got legend of dragoon 2. Based.

I will say out of combat people run/jog like they have a stick up their ass. Need to fix that…

fallingdove

Looks pretty great. I just hope that they avoid western mechanics like level caps, level scaling or weapon damage.

It would also be great if they had some sort of fast forward function or auto-battle in the event I want to grind out some levels. It’ll be a deal breaker if I am having to ATE every single battle including those with high experience mobs.

Roxkis_ii

This game looks so stylish and cool. My only tiny complaint is that fights don't take place on the same plain. Outside of that I really like what I saw in the trailer. Added to my wishlist.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I hope they tone down the flashy menus.

It will get tiring fast.

Said no Persona player ever!
jk

Im guessing there will be a setting to control its animations and probably even a static option.

Per the developers, you can do a no-hit run of the entire game, including the final boss, if you're good enough at the dodging and parrying mechanics.

Interesting.

I can already see myself restarting fights the moment I get hit just so I can have a perfect run.

Damn this is gonna be Bayonetta all over again isnt it.
I played Bayonetta for an ungodly amount of hours before actually finishing my first run because I would want to get no hit runs of every stage.
Dont even get me started on when I found out theres a level above Platinum...........cuz then I was blitzing while also hunting all the portals while also making sure I never got hit.

Nealy 200 hours in that game.
So me thinks even at 70 dollars im gonna get my moneys worth from this game as I perfect the timing of Parries and Dodges.

I believe thats to show that they are in one of the expedition worlds and gravity is weird, the Expedition they showed seems to be underwater or something.

Id imagine when they are in the "real world" the hair physics get set to "normal" values.

Last edited:

FewRope

I hate how the characters looks, will probably play it because it's an RPG but damn, that some ugly ass models man

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Wow the premise is so cool. The painter paints death every year taking loved ones away, the general populace fights to kill this figure so she can't paint death again.

Both sides seems they need to win and lose at the same time, good story for a Persona style gameplay.

That sounds like the premise for a Sanderson novel. Very intriguing

DelireMan7

Wow the premise is so cool. The painter paints death every year taking loved ones away, the general populace fights to kill this figure so she can't paint death again.

Both sides seems they need to win and lose at the same time, good story for a Persona style gameplay.
Yes I love it. But I already have some questions.
The painter paints 33 and then all those which are 33 fade away. But what happen if you turn 33 during the year. You fades away or not ?

Because in the first trailer, Gustave is shown to lose his loved one which is 33. But he looks older than her so it seems you can escape the process (by turning the age after she paints the number)

Interesting to see mention an Expedition 68, meaning it's at least 35 years it's going on and no expeditions succeeded (Damn this really sounds like "La horde du contre vent", I mentioned earlier)

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
New trailer really makes the combat look great! On my radar and now I’m solid day 1. Gives me Shadowheart Covenant vibes…which was already mentioned…this thread exudes great taste!

Last edited:

NanaMiku

Yes I love it. But I already have some questions.
The painter paints 33 and then all those which are 33 fade away. But what happen if you turn 33 during the year. You fades away or not ?

Because in the first trailer, Gustave is shown to lose his loved one which is 33. But he looks older than her so it seems you can escape the process (by turning the age after she paints the number)

Interesting to see mention an Expedition 68, meaning it's at least 35 years it's going on and no expeditions succeeded (Damn this really sounds like "La horde du contre vent", I mentioned earlier)
I just checked the website. The paintress will paint the number 33, so the expedition is sent the day before she wakes up. It still not clear how the paintress determined the age lol

This is Gustave profile:
aed8553511.png

So the current number is still 34. His wife is probably older than him.

DelireMan7

I just checked the website. The paintress will paint the number 33, so the expedition is sent the day before she wakes up. It still not clear how the paintress determined the age lol

This is Gustave profile:
aed8553511.png

So the current number is still 34. His wife is probably older than him.
Ho nice catch. I should check the website too then.

EDIT : from the website, I understand that the expedition is sent the day of the painting. When she paints 33, the expedition 33 starts. And they have 1 year, to defeat the Paintress.
It made me though that all members of an expedition are in their last year of life but Maelle's description stated that she's 16.

Nonetheless, very interesting setting. I hope the lore and story will remains interesting and consistent.

Last edited:

mdkirby

Looks great...its pretty crazy how all the best looking and most interesting looking games are now almost exclusively from relatively unknown or smaller studios, or from Asia. Whilst the established big boys with 200mil budgets just keep end up underwhelming (both in gameplay and aesthetics). Im still sure naughty dogs next big game will be crazy tho

DelireMan7

Looks great...its pretty crazy how all the best looking and most interesting looking games are now almost exclusively from relatively unknown or smaller studios, or from Asia. Whilst the established big boys with 200mil budgets just keep end up underwhelming (both in gameplay and aesthetics). Im still sure naughty dogs next big game will be crazy tho
It looks like that big studios don't want to take risk and stay on known waters while small dev have to be innovative or make their games special and different from the big AAA games if they want a chance to exist.

mdkirby

It looks like that big studios don't want to take risk and stay on known waters while small dev have to be innovative or make their games special and different from the big AAA games if they want a chance to exist.
Seemingly....tho at the same time, I don't know how spending 200mil to make a game is 'playing it safe'...particularly when we keep seeing them failing vs big hits from the <50mil club. Like at this point surely spending obscene sums on uninspired 'safe' games is the riskier proposition. I also don't know how on aggregate they seem to be being out performed in both graphical quality and artistic direction too, despite the gulf in costs.

GymWolf

Gold Member
This is how ff7 remake should have been made.

Can't wait.

Btw the protagonist is literally bootleg pattinson.

Last edited:

Brigandier

Other than the girl running like she's got a vibrating butt plug stuck up her ass, I thought this looked great.

Really got my eye on this for sure.

Regginator

The combat system looks fantastic! Visually it looks impressive too, I love the visual design.

But from a level design perspective, I hope it isn't basically just pretty corridor broken up by the occasional larger (but linear) area. Because that's kinda the vibe I'm getting from that new footage. Character movement seems pretty floaty too, some awkward running here and there.

Has plenty of work left to be done I think, but overall very much looking forward to see the final product.

DelireMan7

Seemingly....tho at the same time, I don't know how spending 200mil to make a game is 'playing it safe'...particularly when we keep seeing them failing vs big hits from the <50mil club. Like at this point surely spending obscene sums on uninspired 'safe' games is the riskier proposition. I also don't know how on aggregate they seem to be being out performed in both graphical quality and artistic direction too, despite the gulf in costs.

I agree with you. It looks puzzling some times. I guess there is also some other factor that escape our comprehension. Sometimes they just need to release a game no matter the state of it.
I remember a friend of mine, working at Ubisoft at the time, told me that because it was the end of the fiscal year, they HAD to release some games that were sure to fail or were bad. I don't remember the details but in short money reason. It was somehow "better" for the company to release shitty game rather than keeping them under development.
I guess there is some weird reasons like that are in play also.

I guess they know what there doing. Anyway me as long as I see some fresh title like Clair Obscur, I am happy. If it can gives idea to the big devs, it's even better. For the moment, my money goes to smaller dev. I happily buy their game at full price while I buy second hand copy of some big AAA games that I judge less worthy

Last edited:

Exentryk

Looks decent. The running movement is a little slow. And I hope the combat has some strategic depth and doesn't just rely on active timings to make it interesting. Have lots of abilities with interesting effects etc.

Duchess

Dammit. The female voice actors are actually French.

Hearing French chicks speaking English is my Kryptonite :|

WaterOnix

Neo Member
The combat system looks fantastic! Visually it looks impressive too, I love the visual design.

But from a level design perspective, I hope it isn't basically just pretty corridor broken up by the occasional larger (but linear) area. Because that's kinda the vibe I'm getting from that new footage. Character movement seems pretty floaty too, some awkward running here and there.

Has plenty of work left to be done I think, but overall very much looking forward to see the final product.
I think in IGN's video the guy mentioned there was at least some exploration with optional bosses that could be missed. There's supposed to be some character customization as well so maybe they can tie that into exploration too. But it remains to be seen how much of an emphasis that will be and it does look linear for the most part. I think exploration will take a backseat. I don't mind that if the gamplay and story are good, but different strokes and all that.

DelireMan7

From the look of it, I think it will be a linear (I think they mentioned "Linear exploration with some semi open areas at times for exploration) and small exploration game. Not a downside for me, quite the opposite.

Dammit. The female voice actors are actually French.

Hearing French chicks speaking English is my Kryptonite :|
Isn't the voice of Maelle, Jennifer English (voice of Shadowheart in BG3) ? After a check it doesn't look like. Damn I was pretty sure it was her.

Female voice were fine for me.
Gustave however confused me. I couldn't tell if he was english or french actor. Most of the time it sounds english (for my french ears) but here and there it really sounds like a french speaking english. Add to that the french words pronounced as an english, I got really confused.

It's funny to make a very french inspired game with a lot of french word, and not dubbed it in french. So far no french dub is planned.

Cyberpunkd

The whole "expedition" send every year reminded me of a french book I love (I actually made a thread about it last year I think) :
" La horde du contre Vent" from Alain Damasio. In a world where Winds are extremely dangerous, numbered expeditions (named "Horde") are sent regularly to go against the Wind and find out what is at its source.

And just saw that the dev took the inspiration from this book for the expedition part.
Merci, will check it out.

DelireMan7

Merci, will check it out.
I love it but I know it's quite a divisive book. It's not perfect from beginning to end but a really good reading.
But you need a bit of time to adapt at the beginning. There is a particular narration : each paragraph is written from another character's perspective (symbolize by a symbol). So you'll constantly check which character it is. Then you get know them and it's easier.

NanaMiku

Ho nice catch. I should check the website too then.

EDIT : from the website, I understand that the expedition is sent the day of the painting. When she paints 33, the expedition 33 starts. And they have 1 year, to defeat the Paintress.
It made me though that all members of an expedition are in their last year of life but Maelle's description stated that she's 16.

Nonetheless, very interesting setting. I hope the lore and story will remains interesting and consistent.
Yup. at first I also thought like that. But in the gameplay video, the party found Expedition 68, but the statue looks young. It'd be pretty weird to send grandparents to the expedition lol
I didn't see this being posted in the thread, so here's the team working on the game.

Their reaction video is wholesome too

mdkirby

I agree with you. It looks puzzling some times. I guess there is also some other factor that escape our comprehension. Sometimes they just need to release a game no matter the state of it.
I remember a friend of mine, working at Ubisoft at the time, told me that because it was the end of the fiscal year, they HAD to release some games that were sure to fail or were bad. I don't remember the details but in short money reason. It was somehow "better" for the company to release shitty game rather than keeping them under development.
I guess there is some weird reasons like that are in play also.

I guess they know what there doing. Anyway me as long as I see some fresh title like Clair Obscur, I am happy. If it can gives idea to the big devs, it's even better. For the moment, my money goes to smaller dev. I happily buy their game at full price while I buy second hand copy of some big AAA games that I judge less worthy
I expect one big reason is companies being public, once they a slave to their investors the priorities change a lot and you end up with a lot of self destructive decisions. Its also one reason we see so much ideological insertion into western games (im left/center left, but even I see it as terrible, not because diversity itself is terrible, but because it is very very clearly forced tick boxing, and it results in shit games, shit characters and shit narratives), as meeting ESG scores is vital for maintaining their public position, and being listed in certain places etc, so they kinda 'have to' do a lot of this stuff. Most of the BIG western studios or publishers are publicly traded, where as many of the Indies, newer studios etc are not, likewise for many asian studios (they may also have slightly different setups in regards ESG).

Top Bottom