• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Noose Was Found In The New African American History Museum In DC

Malyse

Visitors were removed from a section of the National Museum of African American History and Culture in Washington, DC, on Wednesday after a noose was found on the floor of one of the rooms, Smithsonian officials said.

It's the second time this week a noose has been discovered on the grounds of a Smithsonian museum.

The rope was found Wednesday by a tourist inside one of the museum's three history galleries, the Era of Segregation 1786-1968, Smithsonian spokeswoman Linda St. Thomas told BuzzFeed News.

"It was rather a small rope thing and not something that would set off the magnetometers," she said.

"Park Police removed it and we reopened the gallery about an hour later," she said.

Smithsonian Secretary David Skorton informed staffers of the discovery via email on Wednesday afternoon, calling it "deeply disturbing news." A copy of the email was obtained by BuzzFeed News.

"The Smithsonian family stands together in condemning this act of hatred and intolerance, especially repugnant in a museum that affirms and celebrates the American values of inclusion and diversity. We will not be intimidated," he wrote.

Nooses are often used to intimidate African Americans, evoking an era of lynching and subjugation.

On Friday evening, a noose was found hanging on a tree outside the Hirshhorn museum, a venue for contemporary art and sculpture. St. Thomas told BuzzFeed News on Saturday that was the first time a noose had ever been found on Smithsonian property.

"I don't know what to say," she said after Wednesday's discovery.

"We do consider this one to be different," she said. "In this case it's clearly a message to the museum."

Lonnie Bunch, one of the founding directors of the museum, said the noose discovered Wednesday was a, "painful reminder of the challenges that African Americans continue to face."
https://www.buzzfeed.com/davidmack/...y-museum-noose?utm_term=.ycagP3LZV#.lka26yNKk

Mistake

Gold Member
At first I read this as "shouldn't that kind of museum have a noose on display somewhere?" But then remembered modern day racists

if we reach across the aisle and just talk to them, they'll see the error of their ways
Works every time, let them "freeze peach"

Second time this week?

Really?

Really?

There's a pretty good chance one or both of these incidents (this and LBJ's home) will end up being some progressive trying to "make a point" or "start a conversation" if the last two years is anything to go by.

Either way it's despicable.

devilhawk

What was the message of a noose at the modern art museum? Was there a specific exhibit targeted? That one certainly doesn't make much sense compared to the second one.

I think if we all just had a conversation with this person, we'd be more capable of accepting their views, rather than just bashing them for a seemingly racist act. We're the prejudiced ones really, guys.

Sigh... Hearing about stuff like this and what happened to Lebron just reminds and depresses me how badly we fucked up when we just completely sold out Reconstruction. Of course, even if we hadn't, there would no doubt still be plenty of issues. But we'd also we a lot further a long than we are and less of stuff like this, that's that explicit at the very least... right? Or is even that giving this country too much credit at this point? I just... Sigh...

mortal

Banned
Sigh, racists are sooo exhausting.

I couldn't imagine having that much blind hatred for people I don't even know, especially over something so trivial as the shade of their skin. It tires me just to even humor the thought.

WedgeX

Banned
I was wondering if more would come after the first earlier this week. There sure were a bunch of jerks in town for Memorial Day this year.

IrishNinja

can we see a pic of the noose? maybe it's just cultural ignorance and not actual racist intent™

gotta hear both sides

support the southern poverty law center ya'll

Dai101

Banned
Today is a day that will live in fuckery .... this, and the russian blackface motherfuckers, then the serbian assholes....

Trump's America. Now, if only these folks would do the right thing and use it on themselves before hurting any innocents.

Gin-Shiio

If I could make it so that one day everyone woke up and was black, I'd do it in a flash. It'd be the good kind of suicide happening the following day.

Top Bottom