• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A (possible) NSFW reason why witches are depicted riding broomsticks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yrael

I just thought I'd share this little tidbit with you all:

In the Europe of the Middle Ages and into the Renaissance, bread was made, in large part, with rye. And rye and rye-like plants can host fungus—ergot*—that can, when consumed in high doses, be lethal. In smaller doses, however, ergot can be a powerful hallucinogen. Records from the 14th to the 17th century mention Europeans' affliction with "dancing mania," which found groups of people dancing through streets—often speaking nonsense and foaming at the mouth as they did so—until they collapsed from exhaustion. Those who experienced the "mania" would later describe the wild visions that accompanied it. (In the 20th century, Albert Hofmann would realize the psychedelic effects of LSD while studying ergot.)

So people, as people are wont to do, adapted this knowledge, figuring out ways to tame ergot, essentially, for hallucinatory purposes. And they experimented with other plants, as well. Forbes's David Kroll notes that there are also hallucinogenic chemicals in Atropa belladonna (deadly nightshade), Hyoscyamus niger (henbane), Mandragora officinarum (mandrake), and Datura stramonium (jimsonweed). Writing in the 16th century, the Spanish court physician Andrés de Laguna claimed to have taken "a pot full of a certain green ointment … composed of herbs such as hemlock, nightshade, henbane, and mandrake" from the home of a couple accused of witchcraft.

So why do the brooms fit into this? Because to achieve their hallucinations, these early drug users needed a distribution method that was a little more complicated than simple ingestion. When consumed, those old-school hallucinogens could cause assorted unpleasantnesses—including nausea, vomiting, and skin irritation. What people realized, though, was that absorbing them through the skin could lead to hallucinations that arrived without the unsavory side effects. And the most receptive areas of the body for that absorption were the sweat glands of the armpits ... and the mucus membranes of the genitals.

So people used their developing pharmacological knowledge to produce drug-laden balms—or, yep, "witch's brews." And to distribute those salves with maximum effectiveness, these crafty hallucinators borrowed a technology from the home: a broom. Specifically, the handle of the broom. And then ... you get the idea.

And what about the flying?

Part of the connection may have to do with brooms' place in pagan rituals. As a tool, the broom is seen to balance both "masculine energies (the phallic handle) and female energies (the bristles)"—which explains why it was often used, symbolically, in marriage ceremonies. But the more likely connection has to do with the fact that users of "witch's brew" were, in a very practical sense, using their ointment-laden broomsticks to get high. They were using their brooms, basically, to "fly."

Another oft-cited account comes a from 15th-century manuscript by theologian Jordanes de Bergamo. In his "Quaestio de Strigis" of 1470, Bergamo writes of witches who on "certain days or nights they anoint a staff and ride on it to the appointed place or anoint themselves under the arms and in other hairy places."

It's hard to know whether or not witches actually did the deeds they were rumored to have done (like mounting hallucinogen-laced wooden staffs in their covens). Sources from the era when fears about witchcraft peaked are unreliable and biased, noted Charles Zika, a professor at the University of Melbourne, who has written about the imagery of witchcraft. Modern knowledge of witches often comes from manuals written by inquisitors, ecclesiastical judges and testimony by accused witches — much of it produced under duress or torture, Zika explained.

"A lot of it we can't trust as descriptions of social reality at all," Zika told LiveScience.

The explicit implications of staff riding, and the sexual nature of witches in images throughout the Renaissance, are difficult to ignore. Artists like Albrecht Dürer and Hans Baldung depicted them naked. The witch in one engraving by the Italian artist Parmigianino is not riding a broom, but rather a gigantic, anatomically graphic phallus.

But racy images of witches fit in with a culture in which there was much speculation about female sexuality, Zika said.

"It's bound up with an anxiety about women and what place they have in society at a time when Europe was undergoing fundamental changes and transformations in society," Zika said. With the Protestant Reformation, some religious leaders established bans on drinking and dancing, brothels were closed and marriage was more strictly codified and controlled.

In the late 16th and early 17th centuries, images of witches riding up and out of chimneys start to dominate. During this period, women also were more closely associated with domestic space than they were 200 years earlier, Zika said. At that time, too, brooms are depicted more and more often in relation to domestic work in art.

"It seems to me that this idea of them flying out the chimney is actually kind of a protest against this confinement in domestic space," Zika said. "Witchcraft is symbolically in some ways freeing individuals from that kind of conception of their realm."

Wikipedia has a bit more information on "flying ointment." Of course, this may not be the only answer and there are likely to be a combination of social reasons why witches came to be associated with broomsticks. I thought it was an interesting explanation, nonetheless.

Happy Halloween!

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2013/10/why-do-witches-ride-brooms-nsfw/281037/

http://www.livescience.com/40828-why-witches-ride-broomsticks.html

8bit

Knows the Score
batteries-out.jpg

C.Dark.DN

Banned
And to distribute those salves with maximum effectiveness, these crafty hallucinators borrowed a technology from the home: a broom. Specifically, the handle of the broom. And then ... you get the idea.
What? What makes a broom handle so effective over a number of choices? Seems like it's jumping to conclusions.

Gawge

I read a book a few months ago called "Caliban and the Witch", I recall the main theory of the flying/broomstick being put down to an association between witchcraft and travellers/migrants.

Witchcraft was broadly an attempt to transform the workforce into something a lot easier to control, and basically making poor people more predictable and exploitable. So women who were moving around a lot, not doing the unpaid reproductive labour for a man, were depicted as witches in an amazing but terribly upsetting spread of propaganda. (There's obviously a lot more to it than this, but I think this is a good theory on the whole broomstick element).

It really is an excellent book, i'd fully recommend it.

Yrael

I read a book a few months ago called "Caliban and the Witch", I recall the main theory of the flying/broomstick being put down to an association between witchcraft and travellers/migrants.

Witchcraft was broadly an attempt to transform the workforce into something a lot easier to control, and basically making poor people more predictable and exploitable. So women who were moving around a lot, not doing the unpaid reproductive labour for a man, were depicted as witches in an amazing but terribly upsetting spread of propaganda. (There's obviously a lot more to it than this, but I think this is a good theory on the whole broomstick element).

It really is an excellent book, i'd fully recommend it.

Thanks for the recommendation, I just looked this up - it does seem like a very interesting book!

The Mule

Let the kid discover masturbation at the age of 5-10? That's pretty messed up IMO.

they're rubbing themselves down there as early as 4. prep teachers will often tell kids during class to keep their hands where they can see them i.e. "keep your hands on your knees."

they do it without thinking in public all the time.

The Mule

They should figure it out themselves, not from a children's toy bro.

what does it matter? they're going to rub themselves with something one way or another. it's not like some vibrating toy is going to prematurely or inappropriately expose them to the idea before they're ready. they'll discover it when they're ready, regardless of what they have close to hand to rub down there, and whether it vibrates or not.

this kind of "moral outrage" seems a bit immature, close-minded, and sheltered about the realities of childhood development.

Sorcerer

Children learn to discover themselves as early as 4 years old. It's pretty natural.

I heard Dr. Ruth on a radio show say all babies boys are born with stiff penises. All baby girls are born with vaginal fluid.

I don't know if she is nuts but she is respected.

Hycran

Banned
Ergot poisoning is also what led to the creation of the myth of the werewolf if I'm not mistaken. People start tripping out and all of the sudden making shit up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom