• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A sea spider, a rockcrab, a faceless- and a lizardfish. In short, a feast for ur eyes

Marine biology tends to be the most interesting.
[
giphy.gif

Hastati

The carnivorous sponges look like crinoids at a glance. I always love it when the stuff they dig up at the bottom of the ocean resembles critters from 500 million years ago. It's also interesting how certain morphology is still selected for after half a billion years or more, I bet life on other planets would often evolve convergently with our own given similar environments. So I'm sure these are all actually aliens.

edit: I didn't even know crinoids still existed, but apparently they do.

From the article on sea spiders:
As one prominent taxonomist once observed, if you wanted to design a creature from outer space you would do well to choose a sea spider as your model!
(...)
At some stage of their life cycle pycnogonids commonly parasitise a soft-bodied host.

Facehugger confirmed.
Seriously though, these creatures are all awesome!

Toxi

Banned
Sea spiders are the fucking weirdest animals. Basically most of their internal anatomy, including their digestive system, is squeezed into the legs so they can have a larger surface area to volume ratio.

BigDes

Lizard fish looks like an old timey prospector telling tall stories about the Lost Dutchmans mine in the bar.

Top Bottom