• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A theory on why born-again Christianity is so popular, and also difficult to give up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not

Banned
The majority of the people in my family (immediate and extended) are evangelical Christians. As in, the sacrifice-your-life-for-others, help-the-helpless kind of Christians. And the majority of them voted for Trump. There's an incredible disconnect on display there, and it bewilders and saddens me. Once set in your religious identity, it appears to be incredibly unintuitive to turn off the "God's in control" or "His truth is my truth" area of your brain and thus make yourself less susceptible to the people who aim to manipulate you.

Being able to observe that in such a demonstrable way last month shook me. And so 2016, in its last shitty hurrah, torpedoed the last burning remnants of my Christian faith.

I began to consider the possible reasons for the cognitive dissonance in my family and religious people in general, and recently had a revelation about why sharing the Gospel is so appealing to so many people. To reach a world beyond hopelessness and death, evangelical Christianity doesn’t mandate that anyone suffer lasting or even meaningful penance.

It only requires someone to say to another person, “you’re right.”

Specifically, “You’re right, every human being is afflicted by an indistinct force called ‘sin’ and is thus undeserving of living in the same realm as their common ancestor’s creator, an omnipotent, omniscient, and omnibenevolent entity made from three separate-but-also-not-separate smaller entities. You’re right, one of those entities did transfuse their essence into a Y chromosome two thousand years ago in the Middle East, assumed the form of a human male, and took the blame for our sin by being a perfect offering akin to the spotless lambs used in ancient Hebrew rituals. You’re right, this individual—100% human and 100% deity—did rise from the dead with no injuries after being crucified (except for a few physical scars where it’d be most poignant) and floated off the ground into outer space, according to the testimony of hundreds, or at least dozens, of people. You’re right, our consciousnesses are in reality immortal spirits, and acknowledging the entity’s sacrifice is the only way for my own spirit to acquire a new physical form and live happily in the entity’s sinless realm without the desire for, or possibility of, conclusion after death.”

The peculiar and convoluted aspects of the belief itself notwithstanding, the path to salvation (i.e., "accepting Jesus into your heart") seems deceptively simple, which in actuality reveals the true hierarchy of objectives for Christianity. It’s far more important in the Christian faith to persuade everyone around you to be like you and think like you and act like you—thereby allowing you to feel less alone and uncertain—than it is to better yourself as an person or to always accept others for who they are.

No one can easily resist that kind of constant and observable social assurance. I lived it; I remember it. You’re right, you’re right, you’re right, look at all these people who say you’re right, listen to the man at the microphone with power and money saying you’re right, absorb the mental gymnastics of others in order to further convince yourself you’re right, surround yourself with people who help you be even more right, fight to your dying breath against the possibility of being wrong.

And the whole time call it humility and sacrifice.

But it doesn’t matter if you donate to that shelter. It doesn’t matter if you cheat on your spouse. Because you’ll wake up tomorrow and, whether you feel good or bad about yourself, you’ll still be RIGHT. So selflessly forgive a painful grievance. Build a well in Africa. Break up the families of immigrants via deportation. Murder another human you’ve trained yourself to think is an “enemy combatant.” It’s all the same. As long as we’re sure Jesus died for us, none of it matters. The odds of death being a lot like how it felt before you were born disappear. Existentialism disappears. Distrust in the nature of your reality disappears. The idea of loved ones being gone forever disappears.

That’s a feeling more powerful, I believe, than any narcotic can offer, and from my perspective, a potentially much more dangerous one. When Paul in Philippians says if Christianity is wrong, a believer is “useless” and to be “pitied more than all men,” how could one possibly remove such a linchpin of one’s wellbeing and stability?

I no longer expect that insidious dependency to waiver anytime soon among the people I'm close to, just like I wouldn’t expect a substance addict to rehabilitate themselves immediately. But I have real faith that someday our descendants will break through the lies and find real hope, and real joy, beyond the rigid and ultimately hollow spiritual concoctions of frightened lifeforms navigating an existence we have no hope of ever comprehending. Even though it'll basically be a hellish Waterworld kind of deal at that point.

Humans apparently need some kind of constant to comfort us. For now I’ve found it in the simplest, and I think healthiest way possible: making the most of the beautiful, short time I have as a conscious being, no matter what that entails.

A lot of us have experiences growing up in similar religious environments to some extent (it's a majority white male forum). Could this be an accurate explanation as to why it's so difficult to persuade certain people away from this particular institution, despite the large role it has played in promoting hatred and blocking progress?

EDIT: Mods, could you change "born-again" in the title to "evangelical?" You don't have to if you don't want to

lazygecko

Aren't born-again Christians those who convert or reignite their faith later in life rather than growing up with it? The OP seems to just be talking about the religion in general.

I thought the whole thing with born-again Christians was very prominent in the US because institutions and/or clinics for alcoholism and narcotics and such are often run by the church who embed their religious agenda into it.

Not

Banned
Aren't born-again Christians those who convert or reignite their faith later in life rather than growing up with it? The OP seems to just be talking about the religion in general.

I thought the whole thing with born-again Christians was very prominent in the US because institutions and/or clinics for alcoholism and narcotics and such are often run by the church who embed their religious agenda into it.

No, its a blanket statement that refers to the largest faction of Christianity. Right?

Sheroking

No, its a blanket statement that refers to the largest faction of Christianity. Right?

I've always heard the term "born again" to reference late-in-life converts or people who had their faith reignited.

Further to what LazyGekko said, I think you find it most in recovering alcoholics and drug addicts because of the disgusting, emotional con-job that is the 12 step program.

openrob

Excuse the pun, but i think that many of these types of places were born out of the church, rather than impregnated by it.

I just straight up started calling them Culture Christians instead. If you voted for an atheist like Trump, your religion is a joke.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

No. It's people that find Christianity late in life. They are most likely to be very zealous. Also most likely to be Evangelical.

I've always found Evangelicals to be the worst sect when it comes to being hypocritical. Literally they will read everything and then be more than okay with the opposite but will still condemn others.

legend166

I mean, I'm not going to argue with you that a significant amount of professing Christians live their life in the way you describe (that being, as long as you 'believe' the basically theology, it doesn't really matter how you live your life), that's not at all an accurate description of biblical Christianity. Jesus and the Apostles stressed over and over the Christian life should be one of self denial, self sacrifice and holiness.

Like, the idea that "it doesn't matter if you cheat on your spouse" is diametrically opposed to scriptural teachings.

Not

Banned
I mean, I'm not going to argue with you that a significant amount of professing Christians live their life in the way you describe (that being, as long as you 'believe' the basically theology, it doesn't really matter how you live your life), that's not at all an accurate description of biblical Christianity. Jesus and the Apostles stressed over and over the Christian life should be one of self denial, self sacrifice and holiness.

Like, the idea that "it doesn't matter if you cheat on your spouse" is diametrically opposed to scriptural teachings.

Right, I'm not debating about what evangelical Christianity says (even though its doctrine is covered briefly in a paragraph in the OP), but how it works in practice, as well as the negative effects of certain facets of it that cancel out the OK things.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I just straight up started calling them Culture Christians instead. If you voted for an atheist like Trump, your religion is a joke.

I don't know how to feel about this, because it just encourages politicians to wrap themselves in Christian trappings to gain votes.

Not that any politician would ever do that. Nope.

I think the war on abortion, LGBT, minorities, and people with different religious beliefs ties into it as well. Preachers target these things as 'bad' because nobody in a white, Christian congregation is likely to be 'guilty' of these 'sins'. It's just another way of saying they're right, and everyone else is wrong.

BajiBoxer

Banned
No. It's people that find Christianity late in life. They are most likely to be very zealous. Also most likely to be Evangelical.

I've always found Evangelicals to be the worst sect when it comes to being hypocritical. Literally they will read everything and then be more than okay with the opposite but will still condemn others.
That's probably technically correct, but many Evangelicals around here (suburban Ohio) almost always refered to themselves as "born again" Christians, regardless of life stage. Being "born again" was something children would do at some point in these churches. At some point you are expected to explicitly give your soul to Jesus through a prayer ("accept Jesus into your heart" was common phrasing), then were considered born again.

Matty77

Born again is a reference to being born again through Christ through conscious decision and all evangicals are born again. The associaton with late in life and former "sinners" probably has to do with them hammering on the phrase as a counter to their former life.

But yeah any sect where the believer has to consciously let Jesus in is technically born again.

As for OP I have no desire to explain these people and I am skeptical of Trump voters being biblical based Christans because all the christians I know that actually try to be like Jesus and follow his teachings either voted Hillary or abstained.

pirata

As for OP I have no desire to explain these people and I am skeptical of Trump voters being biblical based Christians because all the Christians I know that actually try to be like Jesus and follow his teachings either voted Hillary or abstained.

My aunt and uncle, who are Christian book authors published in several countries, have been very vocally anti-Trump to their supporters/followers. I think opponents of Trump are crazy for not capitalizing on a glaring fundamental weakness of his and his movement---how insanely un-Christian he is! While, yes, a huge amount of white Christians, perhaps even the majority, have totally given themselves over to the culture war and would punch Jesus himself in the face if he suggested amnesty for immigrants or respecting LGBT people, I still think winning over key influencers and young people in church communities should be a major early goal of the anti-fascist movement.

Ettie

Born again is a reference to being born again through Christ through conscious decision and all evangicals are born again. The associaton with late in life and former "sinners" probably has to do with them hammering on the phrase as a counter to their former life.

But yeah any sect where the believer has to consciously let Jesus in is technically born again.

As for OP I have no desire to explain these people and I am skeptical of Trump voters being biblical based Christans because all the christians I know that actually try to be like Jesus and follow his teachings either voted Hillary or abstained.

Yes, born again actually refers to stuff Jesus taught. I think this guy has the right of it and all the yokel bumpkin connotations are relatively modern.

OP, I think you wrote a wonderful post, and it can be summarized as: Christianity is a religion appealing to the weak. One wishes to be part of the herd, one wishes to blend in with the flock. One wishes to have a Master and Lord to look after oneself, and so one falls into worship.

But this is a general mentality that merely manifests itself in an addiction to Christianity. One wishes to be part of many herds - to be part of groups, and one thinks of others only in groups - a boon to racist thinking and other similar ills of the mind. One wishes for a Master or a Lord to direct oneself in the flesh such that the mind need not direct itself, for then one might find oneself alone on a path of solitude.

I agree. Mom voted for Trump this being after hounding me about Obama because he didn't go to church as President, didn't hold a huge national prayer day event, and allowed the gays to do what they wanted. But, Trump is okay despite the fact that he's clearly an Atheist whose never gone to church in his adult life nor ever helped a single human being in his entire miserable existence.

Needless to say I've stated that I no longer wish to hear about "morals," especially in government, again after voting Trump.

Matty77

OP, I think you wrote a wonderful post, and it can be summarized as: Christianity is a religion appealing to the weak. One wishes to be part of the herd, one wishes to blend in with the flock. One wishes to have a Master and Lord to look after oneself, and so one falls into worship.
I know it's in fashion these days to disregard Nietzsche and act like he only appeals to edgelords but The Antichrist actually is a pretty good dissection, analysis and judgement upon the religion.

Oh yes, Cultural Christianity, as Richard Spencer calls it, the faith that believes that Jesus is looking out for good ole' White America.

Air

Banned
I do find those who claim to be born again the most ardent and excessive of Christian sects. It seems like they're compensating for all of the years they didn't believe so they go completely crazy with it.

Ultimately I think the message of Christianity is very simple, but the delivery of it in the modern day and the politicization of it is very damaging. I can't fault anybody from turning away from the idea of God if they're surrounded by people like this. They turn something that could be medicine into a poison.

The majority of the people in my family (immediate and extended) are evangelical Christians. As in, the sacrifice-your-life-for-others, help-the-helpless kind of Christians.

That's Catholicism.

In my experience, Evangelical Protestants are some of the most selfish people around. Their belief in the tenets of Christianity is limited to the extent that it helps them feel superior and enables them to claim moral high ground while ruining the lives of others.

Which is hilarious when you consider the history of Christianity, with how Protestantism developed due to the Catholic Church becoming hopelessly corrupt, greedy, and evil.

Yeah, those people are just hypocrits. The worst kind of "Christian".

I know, I actually believe in Jesus and all that stuff. But I do not judge other people, it is God's duty, like the Bible says. Humans suck ass, we shouldn't make judgements. Faulty, stupid creatures.

I don't like the American version of faith, they speak grands words about loving thy neighbour and all but then they do stuff that betray their words.

It saddens me so much when Christians like me are put in the same pile with that kind of people.

What an extraordinarily arrogant bit of baseless psychoanalysis.

This too, wouldn't use such hard words though.

cwmartin

Cuningas de Häme;226319150 said:
But I do not judge other people

It saddens me so much when Christians like me are put in the same pile with that kind of people.

It starts inward, not feeling offended by the "others"

Aurongel

I'm not really seeing the causal relationship here or at least how it's unique to born-again Christianity specifically. Personally, I can take most of the arguments asserted in the OP, apply them to Islam and reach the same conclusion.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Christianity, even by the typical mechanics of religion, makes a very big deal about faith, and blind faith. Christianity makes some pretty big fucking claims, like there only being absolutely one god. All others are not just uncertain but absolutely false. There is only one true way, Christ the redeemer. Some other religions accept plurality but Christianity generally doesn't. It even has a specific, human "general" in the material world to act as a focal point - The Pope. The Pope and his kingdom reinforce the concept of there only being one true center of the world, one path, one belief system.

All this is a very difficult thing for the human animal to swallow. People might naturally be inclined towards magical thinking and religion, but an all-or-nothing religion is pushing it. Naturally it will cause more anxiety than than more subtle and open belief systems.

And anxiety needs to be soothed, lest the believer fall away from the group and weaken it. Thus, the emphasis on faith. Christianity even outright tells people it's going to be hard to have faith, that they'll want to give up. This can act as a bit of reverse psychology to seed the idea that doubt in the truth and singularity of the religion is just a natural part of one's faith becoming stronger. When you worry that it's bullshit, you're just being tested by God. It can become circular and circular thinking can make people very manic.

I grew up in a very Christian household. I went to Christian school until I graduated and then went to Oral Roberts University for a few years.

I will tell you the real reason why it is so hard to give up; because of the way the community is built.

From the very beginning you are taught that everyone has sinned and is a sinner. You, me, everyone is already a sinner and needs saved. The only person who can do this is Jesus, you are told. But along the way you are also told that you are an awful sinner and the only people who will love you is the church. You are told that you are damaged without God, that you are missing something and that only the Church will love you and take care of you.

They then push it further by telling you, in later years, that you need to be "of" the world but not "in" it. Which is their way of telling you that you can't trust anyone in the "world" and that you have to strive to not be a part of it. Oh, but where can you be a part of? The Church and all the people in it.

But only if you follow their rules and do what they say. If you disagree you are either lectured on how "worldly" you are being or how "naive" you are to have these questions instead of just having faith.

From the very beginning they isolate you and tell you that you are not worth loving and you are lucky that Jesus loves you because you are an awful sinner. Sermon after sermon, church camp after church camp and chapel after chapel. It is how they keep you in.

It was VERY hard for me to leave my faith and the church. I had people that I loved and known and cared about telling me how I was going down the wrong path and I was going to hell.

Now think about that. Imagine you BELIEVE in Hell and how awful it is. Now imagine a person you care about deeply is going there according to your religion. Wouldn't you do everything you could to "bring them back?"

So now you have guilt from your loved ones, on top of being told nobody will love you like Jesus/Church does.

It is been years and there are times where it is still difficult for me to truly keep my faith away because of how I was brought up and how my family is. It is insidious and wrong, and in my opinion, child abuse.

Clefargle

The weird thing is I don't think Trump is even all that religious.

Yup, but like so many other "problems" he had as a candidate, his supporters just...don't....care...

They are happy to wrap any of their baggage onto him as a vehicle for their concerns so long as he keeps screaming about illegal Mexicans, radical Islam, and CHEYNEH....

Ogodei

My aunt and uncle, who are Christian book authors published in several countries, have been very vocally anti-Trump to their supporters/followers. I think opponents of Trump are crazy for not capitalizing on a glaring fundamental weakness of his and his movement---how insanely un-Christian he is! While, yes, a huge amount of white Christians, perhaps even the majority, have totally given themselves over to the culture war and would punch Jesus himself in the face if he suggested amnesty for immigrants or respecting LGBT people, I still think winning over key influencers and young people in church communities should be a major early goal of the anti-fascist movement.

Young Evangelicals have a tendency towards being, well, not liberal, but more liberal than their forebears.

Unfortunately the right will drive the abortion wedge as deep as they can in that case to keep the kiddos locked in, even if the younger evangelicals earnestly buy into the more compassionate side of Christianity.

The Lamp

I've always heard the term "born again" to reference late-in-life converts or people who had their faith reignited.

Further to what LazyGekko said, I think you find it most in recovering alcoholics and drug addicts because of the disgusting, emotional con-job that is the 12 step program.

Jesus says you can't get to heaven unless you are born again so the distinction is redundant to me if you're a Christian at all

It starts inward, not feeling offended by the "others"

Meant that more in the sense of "all Christians support Trump and are right wingers, borderline nazis" or "they do not accept anyone unless they're Christian".

And people really need to understand that there is so many types of Christian, one thing they share is that they all think that they are right. There has been a lot of wars because of that.

It's like saying that every human is just the same because we life in the planet Earth.

And the whole "born again" thing is one of the most dividing things among protestants. Babtism is in a way being born again, to be a part of the congregation. Some believe that you can't be babtised unless you know what you are doing, to others it is ok to do it when you are a baby, to take you a part of the group.

If you are not a Christian and ESPECIALLY if you haven't studied these things, it is really quite hard to understand these things. I studied these in a uni, and even then it's all very messy and one can't help but think that Christianity would be better without humans.

And then people come to shitpost with "lol they believe in spaghettimonster" or "they are so stupid" or something.

Heck, I was part of a Christian forum, there was sections for all the major parties... The amount of shitposting was unbelievable. And when you tried to speak to US Christians, they were just like the most fundamentalistic Islamites. That amount of vitriol against everyone else who didn't share the exact belief system... That was eyeopening, and after that I understood that one simply do not speak about religious stuff. And then Christians are been harassed IRL, name calling, violence (I have experienced that and I don't speak about being Christian anywhere, you come out of church and these shitheads start lobbing stones at you)...

The funny thing is how people speak all the time against Christians how we are so narrow-minded and won't accept anyone else etc etc... But then they attack us who haven't done anything else but tried to live like the Christ teached. You know, turn the other cheak and love your neighbour and behave like a decent human being.

And they are socialists, hippies, that kind of people who always speak about how the whole world is the same family. Makes me wonder how their families treat them.

But anyway, let this be my last message about this subject, I kind of forgot that I just shouldn't read these topics. It never ends well.

Not

Banned
I do find those who claim to be born again the most ardent and excessive of Christian sects. It seems like they're compensating for all of the years they didn't believe so they go completely crazy with it.

Ultimately I think the message of Christianity is very simple, but the delivery of it in the modern day and the politicization of it is very damaging. I can't fault anybody from turning away from the idea of God if they're surrounded by people like this. They turn something that could be medicine into a poison.

Yeah, despite how much Christianity can improve your life if practiced healthily, I just don't want to be part of what's become an overall force for human fear and selfishness.

What an extraordinarily arrogant bit of baseless psychoanalysis.

I think it may be slightly more arrogant to call everything I wrote "baseless."

Cuningas de Häme;226319150 said:
Yeah, those people are just hypocrits. The worst kind of "Christian".

I know, I actually believe in Jesus and all that stuff. But I do not judge other people, it is God's duty, like the Bible says. Humans suck ass, we shouldn't make judgements. Faulty, stupid creatures.

I don't like the American version of faith, they speak grands words about loving thy neighbour and all but then they do stuff that betray their words.

See, I think the problem though with the "they're just doing it wrong" narrative is they're the majority of Christians. Meaning, the majority of people still don't know how to properly apply Jesus' teachings to their lives, due to culture or other impediments, negating any net positive impact it might have.

Christianity, even by the typical mechanics of religion, makes a very big deal about faith, and blind faith. Christianity makes some pretty big fucking claims, like there only being absolutely one god. All others are not just uncertain but absolutely false. There is only one true way, Christ the redeemer. Some other religions accept plurality but Christianity generally doesn't. It even has a specific, human "general" in the material world to act as a focal point - The Pope. The Pope and his kingdom reinforce the concept of there only being one true center of the world, one path, one belief system.

All this is a very difficult thing for the human animal to swallow. People might naturally be inclined towards magical thinking and religion, but an all-or-nothing religion is pushing it. Naturally it will cause more anxiety than than more subtle and open belief systems.

And anxiety needs to be soothed, lest the believer fall away from the group and weaken it. Thus, the emphasis on faith. Christianity even outright tells people it's going to be hard to have faith, that they'll want to give up. This can act as a bit of reverse psychology to seed the idea that doubt in the truth and singularity of the religion is just a natural part of one's faith becoming stronger. When you worry that it's bullshit, you're just being tested by God. It can become circular and circular thinking can make people very manic.

Very interesting perspective.

I'm not really seeing the causal relationship here or at least how it's unique to born-again Christianity specifically. Personally, I can take most of the arguments asserted in the OP, apply them to Islam and reach the same conclusion.

Really? I'm not overly familiar with the tenets of Islam, but is it as simple as "asking Allah into your heart" or the effective equivalent?

Young Evangelicals have a tendency towards being, well, not liberal, but more liberal than their forebears.

Unfortunately the right will drive the abortion wedge as deep as they can in that case to keep the kiddos locked in, even if the younger evangelicals earnestly buy into the more compassionate side of Christianity.

This has been my experience as well. Tying women's overall agency to the complex nature of life in its early stages was a master stroke in the campaign to manipulate well-meaning Christians.

legend166

See, I think the problem though with the "they're just doing it wrong" narrative is they're the majority of Christians. Meaning, the majority of people still don't know how to properly apply Jesus' teachings to their lives, due to culture or other impediments, negating any net positive impact it might have.

How do you properly apply Jesus' teachings?

Christianity is generally incompatible with 21st century secular progressivism. The sexual revolution runs counter to the Christian sexual ethic. Christian views of absolute morality doesn't fly with modern views of relativism. Then there's things like gender roles.

If your view of "properly applying Jesus' teachings" is tacit acceptance of secular progressive ideals, you'll always think Christians are hypocrites no matter what they do.

As someone who has a lot of Evangelicals in my family as well, I think you hit a lot of good points.

I think, too, from a political standpoint that Evangelicals (and perhaps even most of Christianity) in the US has been completely co-oped by the Republican party. And a lot of the leaders of Evangelicals just keep chugging that along, and if anything are becoming more tied to the party. For instance, Franklin Graham is pretty much just a Republican shill, but he has a major voice in that community. And talking to Evangelicals, it's like they totally don't see it at all. It's almost incredible how entrenched these people have become in the GOP agenda, and how their leaders are just shills for the GOP, but they are completely blind to it all.

Kalamoj

How do you properly apply Jesus' teachings?

Christianity is generally incompatible with 21st century secular progressivism. The sexual revolution runs counter to the Christian sexual ethic. Christian views of absolute morality doesn't fly with modern views of relativism. Then there's things like gender roles.

If your view of "properly applying Jesus' teachings" is tacit acceptance of secular progressive ideals, you'll always think Christians are hypocrites no matter what they do.
How romantic and false at the same time.

Garlador

I consider myself an evangelical Christian, and that is WHY I couldn't vote for Trump and expressed a lot of outrage and shock at so many of my friends and family members who did.

"But son, Trump has gone to church and the Lord has forgiven him for his sins, so we should too."

There seemed to be this huge disconnect that "forgiving" someone on a personal level doesn't mean they shouldn't face consequences...

... Or that, for some odd reason, we should've held Hillary Clinton to a different standard for some reason.

I'd say, if anything, these past few months have shown that a lot of Christians don't really practice what they preach or they're far more willing to bend their values to suit their personal preferences.

I'll disagree with them. The doctrines and values I grew up with I still ascribe to proudly, and it's those same values that will forever prevent me from accepting someone like Trump's widespread bigotry, hatred, misogyny, and intolerance.

I consider myself an evangelical Christian, and that is WHY I couldn't vote for Trump and expressed a lot of outrage and shock at so many of my friends and family members who did.

"But son, Trump has gone to church and the Lord has forgiven him for his sins, so we should too."

There seemed to be this huge disconnect that "forgiving" someone on a personal level doesn't mean they shouldn't face consequences...

... Or that, for some odd reason, we should've held Hillary Clinton to a different standard for some reason.

I'd say, if anything, these past few months have shown that a lot of Christians don't really practice what they preach or they're far more willing to bend their values to suit their personal preferences.

I'll disagree with them. The doctrines and values I grew up with I still ascribe to proudly, and it's those same values that will forever prevent me from accepting someone like Trump's widespread bigotry, hatred, misogyny, and intolerance.

Do you recognize that Evangelical Christianity has been co-oped by the GOP, out of curiosity?

Garlador

Do you recognize that Evangelical Christianity has been co-oped by the GOP, out of curiosity?

And that the GOP has been co-opted by Trump? Yes, of course. But long before Trump, I've been... upset... to see the GOP flagrantly stand on a platform of "evangelical Christianity" without any action or sincerity to back it up, just to get people of faith to fall in line.

I can still ascribe to my beliefs as they were intended even as other distort and warp them to their own views.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom