• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

aaaand that's another dead ps2

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
when i bought my first playstation 2 in the temperate spring of 2001, it crapped out a day later. sony repaired it free of charge. it died again about six months later. sony replaced that one, again free of charge. it served me well for a couple years, but alas i just popped in time crisis 2, the first cd-rom game i've tried to play in some time, and was greeted by horrific grinding noises and a disc read error. i thought i'd finally seen the other side of those.

sony have waived the repair fee again, which is lovely of them. but it mightn't it be easier just to design hardware that works in the first place? thankfully my japanese ps2 has been rock solid. i'd really be screwed if that died.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
US PS2s are really shit, I noticed that too. Meanwhile my launch JPN unit has been rocking since March 3rd, 2000.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Oct 2000 launch PS2 still working *knock on wood*

Hey drohne, put tape on top of your disc and see if that works on your PS2....

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Ninja Scooter said:
wait so Sony fixes them for free now?

There's some guide at gamefaqs.com that tells you how to respond to certain questions and if you follow the guide, Sony will fix your PS2 without a service charge

COCKLES

being watched
Funny enough I walked past a pawnshop today and saw a PS2 in the window for 50 quid. With the new Ico team game and GTA:San Andreas I was mightly tempted....then I rembered all the grief with Sony lenses and thought fuck it.

Wario64 said:
There's some guide at gamefaqs.com that tells you how to respond to certain questions and if you follow the guide, Sony will fix your PS2 without a service charge

so that $60 extended warrenty from Circuit City that i got with my new PS2 last year is now a waste? Thanks a lot sony. Even when they don't fuck you in the ass...they fuck you in the ass.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yeah, I noticed that JP PS2s seem to hold up a LOT better. I know several people with Japanese launch systems that have had no issues (the discs still load up quickly). I don't understand...

Still, the most recent PS2 models seem a LOT better than any of the previous models. Much more solid design.

I'm currently on PS2 #4. My 2nd and 3rd were fine, though...but I decided to trade them simply to use up my warranty and get a newer model. The first crapped out after 9 months, though...

so that $60 extended warrenty from Circuit City that i got with my new PS2 last year is now a waste? Thanks a lot sony. Even when they don't fuck you in the ass...they fuck you in the ass.

NOOOO, not at all. When you buy a store warranty, things are handled differently. If your PS2 breaks, you just bring it to them and they hand you a brand new system. If you send it to Sony, you have to deal with shipping time delay AND you'll either get a repaired unit or a refurb.

BuddyC

isn't there a guide out there to adjusting the laser yourself? my friend's ps2 just died and there's a some cashage if i can fix it.

The Japanese PS2s are rock-solid. I've never heard of any problems with those. The American models are made much-more cheaply, although the newer models don't crap-out nearly as often as the first wave. I Can't wait for the PSTwo to come out. I'll bet those bad boys'll be as sturdy as the PSOne was.(just please take out the DVD player. I think that is part of the problem)

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
gamerush gives you $100 of trade-in credit for a ps2 system. i'm tempted to trade this one in when it comes back and buy one of the new models. is there a price drop coming up? aren't they due for one?

i wonder if the japanese units really are more reliable...mikami doesn't seem to think so. :/

dark10x said:
NOOOO, not at all. When you buy a store warranty, things are handled differently. If your PS2 breaks, you just bring it to them and they hand you a brand new system. If you send it to Sony, you have to deal with shipping time delay AND you'll either get a repaired unit or a refurb.

yeah, but i actually WANT my ps2 to break down, just so i can use that thing. Is there anyway to "induce" a disc read error so i can cash in just before the warranty runs out?

Ranger X

Anybody having problem with a PS2 serie that was used for the GT3 pack?
Mine still hold up perfectly except that i have to clean it every 2-3 months so he can read double layered DVDs.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
On my 2nd ps2 aswell, has been holding pretty well since then but its not like i've played it much this year, gonna change this fall.

The problems started on my original PS2 when i started to play dvd movies intensively, then i played FFVII and it gave me errors here and there, but i could fix it by enabling the diagnostic, but i had to do that everytime i booted it up, dvd games were still playing fine. Then contra SS, which is a ps2 cd game, didnt boot up at all, then my dvd games and ps1 games stopped playing, even with diagnostic on. Called sony and they replaced it for free.

If the laser quality is the same for PSP, its going to be one hell of a fiasco..

dark10x

drohne said:
gamerush gives you $100 of trade-in credit for a ps2 system. i'm tempted to trade this one in when it comes back and buy one of the new models. is there a price drop coming up? aren't they due for one?

i wonder if the japanese units really are more reliable...mikami doesn't seem to think so. :/

I'd do that...

The new units are very solid. If you start the machine with a disc in the tray, it now boots the game in less time than it would normally take to reach the "browser/sys config" screen. Plus, the fan is silent and the whole thing feels sturdier in comparison. Of course, there is ONE major flaw...

The i-Link port was removed in favor of an IR sensor. While I rarely used it, I really really enjoyed playing 2 player Time Crisis 2 and 3 via i-Link.

If the laser quality is the same for PSP, its going to be one hell of a fiasco..

In almost every case, though, the actual laser has not failed. Either dust prevents the laser from being able to read the discs OR one of the alignment screws becomes a bit loose. In both cases, the physical hardware has not failed. It was a poor design on Sony's part, though. With PSP being a portable device, I highly doubt Sony would build it in such a way. Also, those alignment screws are related to the fact that there are CD and DVD lasers present. PSP's drive is less complex.

I'm just happy that my XBOX and GC have been perfectly fine. I mean, the XBOX occasioanlly gives me an error when starting a game, but that is very VERY rare (and it has always done this). My XBOX uses a Thompson drive, which is why I was worried. Unlike other systems, though, there is no easy way to transport data outside of swapping the HDDs (which would void any warranty remaining).

I bought my GC used, though, and I can truly say that Nintendo is the only company I trust enough that I would buy a used system. I wasn't particularly excited about the GC, but I wanted Mario...so I bought a cheap, used system. It has been flawless thus far.

My DC has been on the fritz for years, though. Randomly, it will stop booting discs...only to start working again the next day. Never could figure it out. I should buy a backup unit, though, but I'll probably wait until I'm living in Japan next spring (that way I don't need to take it with me).

Link316

Banned
SonicMegaDrive said:
(just please take out the DVD player. I think that is part of the problem)

I don't know about that cause I've haven't had any problems with the PS2 even though I use it as my DVD player

dark10x

sonic4ever said:
you guys most be rough on your system. My Ps2 still works like a charm, and I have only bought one.

No, but dust is one of the leading causes or the DRE...and my area just happens to be very dusty (and there is nothing I can about that). I dust, literally, twice a week...and it still builds up. I need an ionizer or something...

andthebeatgoeson

Off-Topic:
Anybody ever had a problem with GTA:VC pause page loading slowly? I'll go to pause and it'll take a minute or two to load up. I'll get to the pause menu and everything will be fine and I can play the game w/o problems. But I'm just waiting for this thing to break. I haven't been able to reproduce it with other games but then again, I don't play my PS2 much. All DVDs work fine. I was wondering if it was just specific to my PS2 or that game or if I should be worried about it breaking.

cvxfreak

I'm really glad my Japanese PS2 has lasted since 2002. It never lags, and works perfectly well. My brother's U.S. PS2 was repaired in 2002, repaired again in July 2003, replaced in August 2003 and now going in for repairs soon. My PS2+ system, bought last March, works like a charm, complete with an HDD and network adapter.

Sony repairs PS2s for free, but try to get them to send a FedEx envelope or go for a full replacement altogether, since full replacements net you new controllers and cables. :D

I just buy an extended warranty at EB and deliberately break my PS2 every year to get a newer model. Me and MAF poured water in it the first time; this time, I'm gonna get baby to spit up in the DVD tray.

Take THAT, Sony!

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
What the hell? I can understand buying a system for the games, but if a company makes hardware that is that damn troublesome, I think you're being stupid to continue to buy new units every time they break down. It's a damn rip.

Apparently you have never played a PS2. If my GAMECUBE NINTENDO breaks, I probably wouldn't replace it, but NOT replacing a PS2 is a tacit admission that YOU HATE GAMES.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I've had my US PS2 since December 2001, not one problem ever. And my PS2 gets plenty of use. I guess my house just isn't dusty.

My Dreamcast crapped out on me a few weeks ago. That really pissed me off...I can only imagine how I would react when my PS2 finally goes. All I wanted to do is play Street Fighter III: Thrd Strike, and that damn Sega machine couldn't do it! ARG!

GaimeGuy

Drinky Crow said:
Apparently you have never played a PS2. If my GAMECUBE NINTENDO breaks, I probably wouldn't replace it, but NOT replacing a PS2 is a tacit admission that YOU HATE GAMES.

How about not owning a Ps2? :p

dark10x

GaimeGuy said:
What the hell? I can understand buying a system for the games, but if a company makes hardware that is that damn troublesome, I think you're being stupid to continue to buy new units every time they break down. It's a damn rip.

Well, like I said, I've done the warranty trade several times in order to get the newer models...

I've only had one crap out. I own over 100 PS2 games and I love the system, so I have no choice but to deal with the lower quality hardware. It's my favorite system this gen, so it isn't as if I could just say "eh" and forget about it.

xsarien

daedsiluap
dark10x said:
No, but dust is one of the leading causes or the DRE...and my area just happens to be very dusty (and there is nothing I can about that). I dust, literally, twice a week...and it still builds up. I need an ionizer or something...

You need one of these:
vacuum-cleaner.jpg

The whole room, not just the "area" where you keep the PS2.

dark10x

xsarien said:
You need one of these:
vacuum-cleaner.jpg

The whole room, not just the "area" where you keep the PS2.

Some kind of special vacuum?

I vacuum this room every weekend, dust twice a week, and there is virtually no clutter present. It's a very tidy room, but it just won't remain dust free. My XBOX, GC, DC, and Saturn all sit in my glass covered TV stand...so they remain perfectly clean most of the time.

The rest of the house doesn't really have any of these issues either...

cvxfreak

I really wonder why in the world PS2s are so prone to breaking. I have tons of disc-based electronics and all of them work fine... except the Dreamcasts and the PlayStation systems. My PSone skips and resets, and I just mentioned my brother's PS2. Ah well. =/

dark10x

CVXFREAK said:
I really wonder why in the world PS2s are so prone to breaking. I have tons of disc-based electronics and all of them work fine... except the Dreamcasts and the PlayStation systems. My PSone skips and resets, and I just mentioned my brother's PS2. Ah well. =/

The PS2 system do not physically break, though. That's the thing. It's just a design flaw that rears its head as a result of normal conditions...

Drinky Crow said:

that logic does not compute because the GAMECUBE NINTENDO DOES NOT break. Seriously, those little fuckers are like indestructable.

cvxfreak

dark10x said:
The PS2 system do not physically break, though. That's the thing. It's just a design flaw that rears its head as a result of normal conditions...

Yeah, that's what I meant.

I will personally be super-pissed off if these new + models are prone to errors, but good thing the possibilities are low.

cvxfreak

Ninja Scooter said:
that logic does not compute because the GAMECUBE NINTENDO DOES NOT break. Seriously, those little fuckers are like indestructable.

Thanks for reminding me of that one video where the GC was driven tied to a truck and still played Super Mario Sunshine perfectly. The destroyers = pwned :D

GaimeGuy

Maybe your vents need cleaning, dark10x? Or maybe you need a new filter or something.

GaimeGuy

Ninja Scooter said:

*thinks of the video of those two guys tying a GC to the back of their pickup truck, dragging it along as they drove, and then hooking it up when they get home, and find out that it works. *

Well, they did destroy it with a sledgehammer, but I noticed them removing the screws of the case just before they hit it, if you zoom in.

GaimeGuy said:
*thinks of the video of those two guys tying a GC to the back of their pickup truck, dragging it along as they drove, and then hooking it up when they get home, and find out that it works. *

Well, they did destroy it with a sledgehammer, but I noticed them removing the screws of the case just before they hit it, if you zoom in.

i bet after they left, the GAMECUBE NINTENDO started to piece itself together, like the T-1000 at the end of Terminator 2.

I feel for folks who put up with consoles that work on and off for them,cause I had enough of that horse shit in the Sega CD and PSX days,god I must have gone through 3 each:( I'm at the point where I've said screw hunting down a Sega CD on Ebay nowdays,I have the games,I just play them on an emulator,no breaking down to worry about.

I'm already on my 3rd Xbox,the first died two weeks after launch,(hardive) the second about 18 months later(again hardrive) and my current one is working great(this one has the Sam Sung drive where the other two unfortunately had the Phillips.)

Strangely enough,as bad as the PSX consoles were to me,my PS2 has been working like a stud since I bought it in the summer of 2002. Though I really don't use it nearly as often as I did its predecsor the PSX. I guess I've been lucky so far.

Its a coin toss when you buy these timebombs. Gaming is way too mainstream nowdays. So much that manufacturers pump these consoles out the door as if they were packs of playing cards,and that gum is still fucking as brittle as ever btw,which reflects and represents pretty much the luck of the draw in buying a gaming console today.

I'm ahead of Drohne on replacements, but all of mine have been due to shorting the controller ports with Interact products and X-Arcades. Luckily I've never had to pay anything over my EB replacement plan, and I've been super careful ever since that expired.

Seth C

Drinky Crow said:

Eh. My PS2 sees almost no action anyway. If it died I doubt I'd replace it.

I fixed DRE's on my PS2 twice. I found a tutorial online.

It's easy, but yeah.... it would nice if they were built well to begin with.

BuddyC

DIrtyWeasel said:
I fixed DRE's on my PS2 twice. I found a tutorial online.

It's easy, but yeah.... it would nice if they were built well to begin with.
Could you be kind enough to link to that tutorial?

Top Bottom