• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Combat: Assault Horizon gameplay trailer

SamBishop said:
I guess the CVG article didn't really describe it, but the idea was this: the Ace Combat series has stagnated a little bit, and most missions you're just picking off planes from far away with a quick lock-on and a few missiles. You can still play it that way if you want, but now, when you get close, you hold L1+R1 to enter this kind of over-the-cockpit's-shoulder view, and as long as you keep the plane inside the targeting circle, you'll have limited maneuverability. You can then take them down with machine gun fire and are rewarded with a kind of Burnout-style kill cam of the plane breaking up and a big ass explosion.

If a plane gets on your six, you have a chance (they said 33% in the demo) that you'll be able to put on the airbrakes and flip around to get a lock on them, which then rewards you with a sort of mini-cutscene of your missile bays opening up and then the camera follows a rocket volley right into the tail of the plane that almost ended you. It's pretty damn satisfying.

Also, the music during the gameplay demo was epic, but then the series has always been good about that. Think of it kinda like Burnout meets After Burner. It's After Burnout.

Makes sense now. Just want to see it in a actual level demo, not a trailer.

I found the trailer kind of hard to follow, not sure how this really plays... if you have Star Fox-esque control of your plane within the corridor, then this could be pretty fun.

Zeal

Banned
i'm a massive fan of team aces and the AC series, but i don't know what the hell is going on with this.

just a big ?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I guess they need a reboot, but as someone who just started with 6, I'm disappointed that we're not getting large open maps and wacky anime storylines anymore.

Leave the military dudebro stuff to Ubisoft. :(

Ok I just watched and I'm just as confused as the rest of you. But this is my theory of how it plays:

You fly around in free flying mode, hunting for a target. Once you have selected a target and get close enough to him, you trigger the ability to lock on to him. Once that happens the enemy is your "driver" and you are loosely tethered to him. Wherever you go is completely up to him. He will try to shake you and drive you into objects. You must keep him on screen (or maybe even in that huge circle) to stick on his tail. He will try to do maneuvers that will trigger QTE sequences for you to follow or he will now be targeting you. In order to take him down, you must be very precise. It will be hard enough to keep him on the screen and even harder to keep him in your line of fire.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Make sense or no?

One concern is that the damaged plane models will all be the same.

Another is the music. I hope this track is only for the trailer. The first trailer's theme was fantastic and I never use the word fantastic.

Besides the question of how it "plays" and the others I mentioned, I'm still highly excited.

Edit:

SamBishop said:
I guess the CVG article didn't really describe it, but the idea was this: the Ace Combat series has stagnated a little bit, and most missions you're just picking off planes from far away with a quick lock-on and a few missiles. You can still play it that way if you want, but now, when you get close, you hold L1+R1 to enter this kind of over-the-cockpit's-shoulder view, and as long as you keep the plane inside the targeting circle, you'll have limited maneuverability. You can then take them down with machine gun fire and are rewarded with a kind of Burnout-style kill cam of the plane breaking up and a big ass explosion.

If a plane gets on your six, you have a chance (they said 33% in the demo) that you'll be able to put on the airbrakes and flip around to get a lock on them, which then rewards you with a sort of mini-cutscene of your missile bays opening up and then the camera follows a rocket volley right into the tail of the plane that almost ended you. It's pretty damn satisfying.

Also, the music during the gameplay demo was epic, but then the series has always been good about that. Think of it kinda like Burnout meets After Burner. It's After Burnout.
Ahhh I totally missed this post! Man, I'm good though. I should be a game designer! ;)

Thanks for the info.

Cobra84

This game gets less interesting every time they show it. I wonder if it will be bad enough to take the worst arcade flight game crown from HAWX 2.

miladesn said:
- The previous games allowed freedom in movement but enemi-es looked very small so they are trying to make it up close and personal or something.
So they use modern fighters that barely carry close range weapons? Aircraft from the 1940's to the 1960's would have been a more interesting a logical choice for that design decision.

SamBishop

Banned
Dark Octave said:
Ahhh I totally missed this post! Man, I'm good though. I should be a game designer! ;)

Thanks for the info.

HAHAHA, I was beginning to think my post was just invisible or something until you and Dubbedinenglish responded to it. Glad I could help, and if you want an expanded version of that little blurb, there's always this thing right here (though in all honesty, it's just saying more or less the same thing with more words).

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
screenshot_245786.jpg

Geez I wouldn't want to be a pedestrian who'd have to cross that street to go buy some donuts. Looks like it would be one long walk.

Ether_Snake said:
Geez I wouldn't want to be a pedestrian who'd have to cross that street to go buy some donuts. Looks like it would be one long walk.
I'm pretty sure that's a freeway.

Edit: Oh, I see there's a convenient little bridge in the background.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
_dementia said:
I still can't get over how that road just stops
left over FCK asset?

Just an unfortunate screenshot. If you're flying over that ground at fuck-hundred miles an hour, you probably won't notice something like that.

Its odd, I used to love flight-sim-combat games but havne't played an AC game since probably the very first one.

Top Bottom