• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace of Spades |OT| - Minecraft meets Red Orchestra

What is it?

Ace of Spades is a voxel based CTF shooter that comes with the terrain editing and building from MineCraft thrown in.

Why should I play it?

What sets this game apart from most shooters out there is the amount of choices available to the player.

Want help protect your intel? Build a fort around it.

Getting shot a lot? Dig a trench to give you some cover.

Have time on your hands? Start digging a tunnel under the map and sneak up on the enemies base.

Equipment

Shovel - Digging holes. Can't pick up destroyed blocks.
Pick Axe - Lets you mine.
Grenade - You throw it and stuff blows up.
Rifle - For Shooting dudes.
Blocks - For building things. You can change the colour of the blocks with the arrow keys.

Controls

WASD - Move
Mouse - Look
Space: Jump
Ctrl: Crouch
Left Click: Shoot - Dig - Mine - Place Block - Throw Grenade
Right Click: Ironsights - Sample World Block Colour.
Arrow Keys: Change Block Colours.
1-5 / Mouse wheel: Change Weapons/Tools
M: Map
Team Chat: Y
All Chat: T
Select Teams: B - Blue Team - G - Green Team
ESC: Quit

Things To Know

Use this as a starting guide

The world has physics so build things with support structures.
Go to your command post to refill your health ammo and blocks.

The game is waaaaay buggy (especially getting in). If you join a game only to see a game screen, just quit out.

How do I get it?

1. Go to http://ace-spades.com
2. Download - Beta 0.22
3. Go into config.ini and set your resolution and user name. If you're using Vista/7 you have to copy the file to desktop, edit it and then stick it back in the folder.
4. Go back to http://ace-spades.com and select a server.
5. If you're looking to start a server, there's a exe in the program's files. Make sure you forward port 32887 or nobody can join.

Images
ace4.jpg

ace6.jpg

ace2.jpg

Videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSRqvLcjAOY

Misc

Thanks to Rock Paper Shotgun where I found out about the game and who I took the pictures from.

If someone from GAF wants to make a server, I'll post it here. I don't have a good enough connection to make one myself.

I'll try and answer any questions but I don't know much. It's just a neat thing that I think everyone should play.

Orayn

Played a bit of this with /v/ the other day. Actually connecting to servers is a pain, and the engine is finnicky, but I really like where the gameplay is headed. I think this is proof that there's room for more "block games," as long as you actually do something with the mechanics instead of just copying them wholesale from Minecraft, which in turn lifted some of them from Infiniminer.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
This game reminds me that Notch still needs to make good on his promise for PvP mode types in Minecraft before it goes Gold.

PC POWER

ahoyhoy said:
This game reminds me that Notch still needs to make good on his promise for PvP mode types in Minecraft before it goes Gold.
pretty sure he is in he process of "forgetting" all those weird brainstorming/future potential "promises" and moving on completely from minecraft.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I'd like all these features in a game with proper graphics. Minecraft looks better.

Leunam

Joseph Merrick said:
PC POWER

pretty sure he is in he process of "forgetting" all those weird brainstorming/future potential "promises" and moving on completely from minecraft.

Is that why he's still releasing updates?

Qwomo

Read the RPS article earlier today, and the video in the OP (sans terrible music) + comparisons to Red Orchestra sold me. Ugly as sin, though. Wonder if there's texture pack functionality as there is in Minecraft. Probably not.

ZZMitch

This game is fun, but the griefing is terrible, I was playing on a server and my team had built some huge castle and bridge and some blue player simply switched teams and destroyed it :/

Christ, I just watched that video I first posted. I thought it was just a standard video.

Changed it for something much better. Watch it if you're in any way interested.

broham

Played a few games last night. Followed this one guy for a while and decided to help him out when he started tunneling trough a mountain. After a few minutes we tunneled right underneath the enemy intel. We dug the floor out from under it, ran back through our maze of tunnels, and capped it.
also
blue team is best team, we fight for freedom against the tyranny of the greens

Leunam

Are there no trees or anything of the sort yet? Environment seems pretty bare. I'll probably give it a shot once some of the stability issues have been worked out.

Joseph Merrick said:
I think that's why he announced a "releasedate"

A release date was the plan since the very very beginning.

Tried a bit of this. It's fun

My team sucked. I think they thought it was just minecraft. I tried the tunnel under the intel trick but it didn't work nearly as well as the post above. I was slaughtered.

It made me miss tribes for some reason. Maybe it was the rolling landscapes.

LProtag

I hear it's hard to join a server right now.

I've got tons of schoolwork to do and I'd have to switch over to my Windows partition... maybe sometime later I can try this game out, if it catches on and becomes a bigger thing.

Grinchy

Banned
Minecraft already takes up about 40% of my free time. Don't introduce clones that do cool things, please! I would like to do something other than sit at my computer all day,like.....well.....you know

broham

New build is up for download:
"BETA 0.26 is out! This is a mandatory upgrade for servers and clients.
It features anti-cheat measures, votekicking, and better connection error handling."

Bison11

Finally got into a game. I think the maps are a little too big though....but maybe I was playing with a smaller number of people...I dont know. Its pretty cool though, hope they continue to work on it.

Codeblue

Hey everyone, the server issues got sorted for the most part! Games are now joinable without having to retry a billion times!

Download beta version 3 from here. The servers for beta 3 are also listed on that page. Now all that's really missing is IP bans.

Bison11

been playing this game for about a week and a half now. Its really fun. The only bad part is some of the servers dont reset so the terrain is completely mined and its not all that fun.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I finally played this for the first time after seeing it on /v/ for so long.

Fuck, it is a fun game but damn, what's with the crazy fisheye? I actually got a little motion sickness from it.

broham

Cindres said:
I finally played this for the first time after seeing it on /v/ for so long.

Fuck, it is a fun game but damn, what's with the crazy fisheye? I actually got a little motion sickness from it.
Whatever you do, don't look down

Top Bottom