• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadlock |OT|

Robot Carnival

Gold Member
Just passed the 100 hr mark and have been investing a lot of time on Mo & Krill, which I now prefer over Warden. Over the past days I've laned Haze in like 4 or 5 games. I've noticed how bullet velocity can make a huge difference during laning phase. Haze has very high velocity, attack speed and larger clips, giving her an advantage in last-hitting, denying and harrassing, especially over Mo & Krill and Warden.
Against a decent Haze it's like 50/50 farm, but a good Haze will dominate, keeping me at a distance constantly, shooting me whenever she has the chance (which does way more damage than I can do to her), also her ult is way more powerful to the point she can just overextend and 'tower dive' to kill me, making me have to keep distance even more. Versing a good McGinnis feels similar, but versus other heroes I can play way more aggressively.

I think my usually poor early laning phase is partly due to my play style which tend to put me a little behind my own creep wave rather than right at the front so the opponent would tend to push in more. and partly because my aim isn't as fast or good as others. the fact that Haze really doesn't have as many tools as others at the start also doesn't help. with only dagger to use as an emergency sleep on whoever's pressuring, sometimes it does get hard to deal with those with shotgun type weapons that get easy last hits on souls once it's a few minutes in and they got more abilities unlocked. I wish they would give smoke bomb a disarm or stun effect against close enemies so it'll be useful for those close engagements that turn sour.

To add:

1. I'd strongly recommend everyone to watch a movement guide video and at least nail (the timing on) dash-jump-slide, which makes you cover the most ground vs. stamina used. Charged melee gives you more air-time.

2. Always try to have a fully reloaded clip at times when you're opponent will likely kill the most minions so you're able to deny. Be conservative with ammo for denying, a soul only needs 1 shot and the hitboxes are generous. And if you do find yourself out of ammo, you can also melee deny (at least the charged melee does).

Remind yourself to use teleporters more.
Even with 100 hours in, I see most players don't jungle enough and the juicy 'soul dispensers' are usually still up. I'll gladly take those souls. There's a ground level room with 1 soul dispenser and a room on the other side with 2 when you go up the rope. Each side also has an underground room filled with creeps, which are usually left untouched. Occasonially check up on creep rooms, I've noticed enemy players are increasingly doing the MOBA trick to leave 1 little creep alive to prevent the whole group from spawning.

some great tips. added to the OP.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
80 hours in. Paradox main but working on vindicta as my main. The issue with vin is so many things counter you and you feel like a victim the later the game goes if your team doesn’t peel for you. Bebop hook, dox flip, moe ult, pocket leap or TP, etc etc. Just one and poof it’s over.

Paradox I survive way more and flip people. You don’t need a lot of farm either to pop off so you can let farm hungry characters like Haze take jungle instead.

Third alternates but I enjoy Viscous.

——

Love the game but it has a fair amount of shit to do to get up to par to its counterparts.

*Laning phase suffers in so many ways. Losing? Just pop healing rite as first item. Or sit on your steps all laning phase then ask for a level 4 gank. Or don’t and just enjoy free farm.

*Towers need to be scarier in early game phase for the risk of diving under it. Some characters can just hop in and laugh it up because I’ve watched towers swing 3 times at someone and they live.

*Objectives in general need a rework. It’s so easy to take everything after the first guardian. Due to the size of the map split pushing is so damn good for a character like wraith or haze who melt towers.

*More heroes needed asap to allow for a ranked mode. I just want to ban bebop permanently in every game I play. Infinite scaling bombs is stupid. Furthermore defined roles do need to exist to allow for who should farm what. Level 2/3 camps for your ADC, level 1 camps for your utility. Waves pushed out by mobile champs and carries so they don’t get dove. Frustrating trying to farm and 2 people come to a camp so now I get 1/3rd of the money. I’d rather they get full 100% then beans for all.

*Rework of some character kits. Bebop scaling needs to be reworked. Vindicta crow needs to be either giga buffed for damage or its hit box improved cuz that thing misses 90% of the time even point blank. Paradox wall should stop bullets not slow them down, at least until the wall comes down. I can go on and on.

——

80 hours of fun though. Valve with a mega hit one again.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Just passed the 100 hr mark and have been investing a lot of time on Mo & Krill, which I now prefer over Warden. Over the past days I've laned Haze in like 4 or 5 games. I've noticed how bullet velocity can make a huge difference during laning phase. Haze has very high velocity, attack speed and larger clips, giving her an advantage in last-hitting, denying and harrassing, especially over Mo & Krill and Warden.
Against a decent Haze it's like 50/50 farm, but a good Haze will dominate, keeping me at a distance constantly, shooting me whenever she has the chance (which does way more damage than I can do to her), also her ult is way more powerful to the point she can just overextend and 'tower dive' to kill me, making me have to keep distance even more. Versing a good McGinnis feels similar, but versus other heroes I can play way more aggressively.

Haze in laning phase is a victim. She has to keep shooting her target to ramp up damage. Just melee last hit to secure farm. If she gets too close punch her, 1, then pull back. Save your burrow if she decides to dive you or if you need it to finish her off. Buy extra health item or even healing rite but again your 1 key heals you.

Lastly, if she dives you just hit your ult key as well and laugh.

Robot Carnival

Gold Member
Love the game but it has a fair amount of shit to do to get up to par to its counterparts.

*Laning phase suffers in so many ways. Losing? Just pop healing rite as first item. Or sit on your steps all laning phase then ask for a level 4 gank. Or don’t and just enjoy free farm.

*Towers need to be scarier in early game phase for the risk of diving under it. Some characters can just hop in and laugh it up because I’ve watched towers swing 3 times at someone and they live.

*Objectives in general need a rework. It’s so easy to take everything after the first guardian. Due to the size of the map split pushing is so damn good for a character like wraith or haze who melt towers.

*More heroes needed asap to allow for a ranked mode. I just want to ban bebop permanently in every game I play. Infinite scaling bombs is stupid. Furthermore defined roles do need to exist to allow for who should farm what. Level 2/3 camps for your ADC, level 1 camps for your utility. Waves pushed out by mobile champs and carries so they don’t get dove. Frustrating trying to farm and 2 people come to a camp so now I get 1/3rd of the money. I’d rather they get full 100% then beans for all.

this being early access and all, there will definitely be more changes and adjustments coming, along with more heros, so just wait. it IS "Valve time" Valve after all :messenger_grinning_sweat:

as for Guardians and Walkers, I think they would most likely only get some minor adjustments and would be kept at their current "power level" for the most part. they're trying to keep the games shorter to make it more friendly for a wider audience so making them harder is probably not what they have in mind.

Haze in laning phase is a victim. She has to keep shooting her target to ramp up damage. Just melee last hit to secure farm. If she gets too close punch her, 1, then pull back. Save your burrow if she decides to dive you or if you need it to finish her off. Buy extra health item or even healing rite but again your 1 key heals you.

Lastly, if she dives you just hit your ult key as well and laugh.

yeah, as a "Haze main" I can tell you it's very easy to harass her. especially if you're a tanker hero with a shotgun type weapons. deny and melee is your best friend if you want to stun her farm. the problem is after you've won your lane you have to keep pressure on Haze or else she can very easily farm right back up again and be a devastating menace late game.

She stays out of melee range and takes away more than half my hp with in 1-2 seconds. I just don't see at all how she's so easy to lane against, but maybe I just suck, then again I don't have this experience versing other heroes.

Warden and Mo & Krill both have full automatic rifles, but slow velocity and attack speed. Abrams and Shiv (and Pocket too I think) are the ones with a shotgun, that are quite good for denying/last-hitting.

Also, in my experience Haze is easily shutdown in late game. Feels like everyone is aware of her trying to ult in teamfights and is ready to CC her down.

Last edited:

Branded

Only played a handful of matches so far but the QoL features here are insane. I'm not sure how these things are in the more typical MOBA games but man, all that stuff really helps a non-MOBA player such as myself lol.

I reckon this game will be huge if they play their cards right. The map variety alone could be a game changer for a title such as this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom