• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Actress and internet star Stevie Ryan dead at 33

KSweeley

Damn, very sad, 33 is a young age to die at: https://apnews.com/33cefb32e4d84a2abe895b070edc11aa/Actress-and-internet-star-Stevie-Ryan-dead-at-33

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Stevie Ryan, an actress and comedian who gained fame with impersonations of celebrities on YouTube, has died. She was 33.

Los Angeles County coroner’s spokesman Ed Winter says Ryan died Saturday at her home in Los Angeles. He says her death has been ruled a suicide after the agency performed an autopsy.

Ryan had gained fame on YouTube with impersonations of celebrities, including Justin Bieber, Kim Kardashian and Amy Winehouse.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
She was most recently the co-host of Mentally Ch(ill), a ”podcast about depression," according to its iTunes description. In an episode released just two days before Ryan's death, she revealed that her grandfather died Thursday.

I'm just worried that this is going to send me into a deeper depression," she explained. During the episode, Ryan and co-host Kristen Carney also discussed suicide.

http://people.com/celebrity/stevie-ryan-little-loca-suicide/

RIP. I am not familiar with her but I was very saddened to read this. Mental illness is a serious affliction. Sad that she took her life at such a young age.

ezekial45

Banned
I followed her on instagram, and she seemed like a cool lady. Her grandfather passed recently, and many of her last posts were about that. Depression kills, and I'm sad that she didn't get the help she needed.

RIP.

jmood88

Oh wow. She talked about depression and stuff on twitter every so often but I had no idea things were that bad.

Christian

I saw that she hung herself. Seriously, I cannot think of a worse way to commit suicide. Anyway, I hope she's found peace now.

RIP

Mental health being vilified rather than being rationally addressed in the US is one of the saddest things. Depression is a very real thing yet there are those who refuse to acknowledge it.

Boke1879

Yea she wasnt the biggest star so it doesn't shock me that many might not be familiar with her.

I know she had a youtube show and then had a stint on VH1.

But I remember when she was on twitter a few years back before her VH1 show. She was cool as hell and interacted with everyone. Or at least tried to.

33 is too young and I just feel bad that she felt this was the only way out for her. So sad.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Even though mental illness is a chronic and sometimes fatal condition, the state of care is not always what you would expect/hope

I hope she's at peace

EDIT: I'll also say that I'm a bipolar I, whenever I hear about a suicide I feel that shit. hope her family is holding up

As someone that has severe mental illnesses, I really hope she found peace but this is terrible and tragic.

Never heard of her until now but still I hope and pray to God that she found peace. My respects and condolences to the family.

cryptic

Wow. Whenever someone with mental illness that is actually successful and normalized dies I feel so awful but at the same time I hope people might one day treat me a little Kinder so I can have real people to talk to rather than being forced to contemplate the bridge like today.

Goodness, I heard a little bit about her a couple years ago. RIP.

Off note, depression is no laughing matter. It's tough to get help these days without paying out the butt.

Kaizer

Banned
Man, how incredibly saddening. RIP. I became familiar of her via an episode of MTV's Ridiculousness a few years back, but didn't really keep up or follow any of her work. Had no idea she was dealing with depression issues like that. Very sad to hear, I hope the other members of her family are holding up okay.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Why does society produce so much depression? Is it an inevitable byproduct of progress, and constantly having "more?"

I lived in the poorest parts of the second poorest country in South America and never even heard of suicide for the years I was down there. Most people barely had shoes to wear, no indoor plumbing, and worked incredibly long hours in the sun, but suicide would be completely unthinkable.

Is it an ill of our society that causes so many to lose hope in their lives?

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Why does society produce so much depression? Is it an inevitable byproduct of progress, and constantly having "more?"

I lived in the poorest parts of the second poorest country in South America and never even heard of suicide for the years I was down there. Most people barely had shoes to wear, no indoor plumbing, and worked incredibly long hours in the sun, but suicide would be completely unthinkable.

Is it an ill of our society that causes so many to lose hope in their lives?

The medical consensus at present is that depression is caused by neurochemical imbalances that are most likely hereditary. You are describing misery, which is caused by circumstances--this is not the same thing.

Top Bottom